PDA

View Full Version : General Question - ZTR - New Models Come Out?

coughlin47
06-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I've been researching ZTRs for only a couple of weeks, and I've learned a lot here. As I stated on another message thread, financially it looks like I have to wait until next spring. However, I was wondering if there is a 'end of model year' time in which dealers try to sell off current models before the new ones come out? Do new models come out in the spring (feb thru April?), and are there other times of the year which are better to shop around - just before winter in the North? Typically, what features get changed from year-to-year? My assumption is just deck/engine combinations and not too much else.
Thanks again,
Bill

Bluffman
06-12-2010, 11:26 PM
IMO, you will find that most dealers will stock what will sell at springtime and work off that through the early summer. That said, you may find something that fits the bill come fall but I doubt you'll get a real steal on it just because it's the end of the season. You stated some financial commitments which will prevent you from making a purchase at this time and we all can understand your position. I sense a similarity in you in that I too tend to "obsess" over things I want, (power equipment), do exhaustive research on the topic (usually power equipment) and then agonize some more then bite the bullett and buy (power equipment). You've done a lot of research and gotten a lot of feedback from this forum as well as from dealers. My advice is to table this purchase until your cash situation improves. there's no harm in keeping your eyes and ears open for a good deal but my opinion is that next spring, hit the trail hard and you'll find a good mower at a good price. Also, talk to dealers around March. Around then, they're starting to plan for their inventories and they can add YOUR mower to their spring orders with no shipping "ding" to add to the cost. I'd still though hold tight on a Kawi or Kohler. Good luck.

coughlin47
06-13-2010, 08:27 AM
....snip... I sense a similarity in you in that I too tend to "obsess" over things I want, (power equipment), do exhaustive research on the topic (usually power equipment) and then agonize some more then bite the bullett and buy (power equipment). You've done a lot of research and gotten a lot of feedback from this forum as well as from dealers. My advice is to table this purchase until your cash situation improves. ...snip.....
Yes, definitely I analyze things to death, however, usually the end results are worth it ... best bang for the buck, and quality. I have an expensive hobby - photography, and I've reached a point there where I don't have too much more to 'obsess' over, so I might as well turn my attention to ZTRs :)
BTW - I used to live in Wisconsin, and am a bit familiar with MN. I canoed the Boundary Waters two times, and spent some time in south east MN as well. Beautiful state.
Thanks again,
Bill

Bluffman
06-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Yes this state has many beautiful areas as does much of our country. I hope you didn't take offense to my "obsess" remark as it was not intended that way at all. As I said, I take a similar approach to things when I make large, long term purchases. I went back and looked at your original post and noticed that you're mowing slightly more than 2 acres. If I may, my own property is about 2-1/2-3 acres of lawn. 1-1/2 acres around the house is irrigated and fertilized frequently and is what would be described as a "high maintenance" lawn. I cut that area every 3-4 days this time of year and if I can get by, I only cut the other 1-1/2 acres every other time. It takes me around 45-50 minutes to cut the area around the house and under 2 hours to cut all of it using my 48" Tiger Cub which flys assuming the grass is relatively dry and not too long. My question is are you sure on the 52"? The 48" will cut a little better on uneven, bumpy or sloped ground and will be a little less bog on the engine which I believe is the same on the 52" For a 4" increase in cut, on a homeowner mower (not using it all day/everyday), would a 48" be more practical and a little easier on the pocketbook? Just food for thought.

coughlin47
06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Yes this state has many beautiful areas as does much of our country. I hope you didn't take offense to my "obsess" remark as it was not intended that way at all. As I said, I take a similar approach to things when I make large, long term purchases. I went back and looked at your original post and noticed that you're mowing slightly more than 2 acres. If I may, my own property is about 2-1/2-3 acres of lawn. 1-1/2 acres around the house is irrigated and fertilized frequently and is what would be described as a "high maintenance" lawn. I cut that area every 3-4 days this time of year and if I can get by, I only cut the other 1-1/2 acres every other time. It takes me around 45-50 minutes to cut the area around the house and under 2 hours to cut all of it using my 48" Tiger Cub which flys assuming the grass is relatively dry and not too long. My question is are you sure on the 52"? The 48" will cut a little better on uneven, bumpy or sloped ground and will be a little less bog on the engine which I believe is the same on the 52" For a 4" increase in cut, on a homeowner mower (not using it all day/everyday), would a 48" be more practical and a little easier on the pocketbook? Just food for thought.
No offense taken on the 'obsess' remark at all (I know my faults, although I have to say that the majority of my 'over analyzing' purchases turn out great) - I used to be the opposite - an impulse buyer. However, I've been burned a few times, and when spending $5K+ I better not buy on impulse, or my wife will remove a few of my body parts :)
I'm not sold on the 52, it just seemed a good middle ground between the 54 and 48, and I guess my assumption was 'bigger is better' (maybe I'm over compensating :) ) Anyway, others here have said the same thing, that a 48 for 2 acres is plenty, especially given the maneuverability and speed of the ZTR.
So, you and others are saying that the 19HP Kawa is a better way to go than the 26B&S. So, If I stay with the Scag line, I should look at 48 with 19 Kawa.
Thanks again - I think I better let this rest for a while. (Just got my tractor back from repair)
Bill

mdale
06-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Hey bluffman, how long does it take you to mow with the jd425? I have a JD345 w/54" and was looking to get a 52" ztr, but may get a 48" if the ztr is alot faster.

Bluffman
06-14-2010, 06:12 AM
I only mow "rough" areas with that now. And slopes too scary for the Scag. It is really more of a utility tractor. BTW, this is a garden tractor, not a z-turn. I'll use it sometimes for remote pickups with the trac-vac. It's also my winter snow removal setup at home. I did mow my property with it years ago and it was painfully slow compared to a commercial z-turn. I recall it took 3-1/2 hour or so.

JDExmark
06-16-2010, 09:14 AM
as far as close outs...just call around to shops talk to sale people give them your name and number...tell them to call you...if they want to sell something (and they do) they'll call you the second something is available at a price reduction/deal

I've found that almost every dealer I have spoken too in the past has some machine or two sitting on their floor they want gone...and in some cases I don't really think they are making much if anything at all on them...they want them off the books, off the floor

JDExmark
06-16-2010, 09:15 AM
and don't hesitate to try to negotiate further...you'll find out real soon if they are acceptable to any more bargaining.

coughlin47
06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
as far as close outs...just call around to shops talk to sale people give them your name and number...tell them to call you...if they want to sell something (and they do) they'll call you the second something is available at a price reduction/deal

I've found that almost every dealer I have spoken too in the past has some machine or two sitting on their floor they want gone...and in some cases I don't really think they are making much if anything at all on them...they want them off the books, off the floor
Thanks for commenting.
I did find it a bit strange that one of the dealers I stopped at (the one with the scag on sale) did not ask for my name/number, although I did express an interest. (This is not the dealer I've dealt with in the past, although they do have a good reputation). He probably could have sold me the unit if he had placed a follow-up call. On the other hand, the dealer I've dealt with for 20 years (really a large hardware with a dedicated mower department/staff) places follow-up calls after I have service done. And, recently sent me a $25 gift card because they sharpened a set of blades which I had just purchased. They apologized, and I told them apology not necessary. This shows the type of customer service one wants.
Bill

coughlin47
06-16-2010, 10:31 AM
and don't hesitate to try to negotiate further...you'll find out real soon if they are acceptable to any more bargaining.
My impulse buying days are over. Kind of like buying a car ... go in, talk, get a price, walk out. Come back, talk so more and probably get a better deal.
I may go back in January after a major storm, and see if they'd like to unload a ZTR taking up space.
Bill