PDA

View Full Version : 125yrd Mulch bid

OrangeToys
06-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Yes the title is correct.

So first question what would you charge for 125yrds?

Next I might have a guy with a tractor and 3 others to help, how much do i add on to cover for his tractor and employees?

I have my number for me to install the mulch, but I can't figure out what to pad for the tractor and 3 others.

Thanks any imput is appreciated.

Even Cut Lawn Care
06-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Okay, heres what ya do materials + Labor + equipment = your cost then markup all these and arrive at your total price for customer.

How much is your mulch? Thats gonna be over a truckoad more like 1 1/3 loads.

How much are you paying the 3 other guys? all the same or different wages?

How much are you paying the tractor owner for use of the machine?

didnt i see your truck at John DeereLandscapes In Nixa a few weeks back?

Do you already have a mulch supplier?

OrangeToys
06-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Okay, heres what ya do materials + Labor + equipment = your cost then markup all these and arrive at your total price for customer.

How much is your mulch? Thats gonna be over a truckoad more like 1 1/3 loads.

How much are you paying the 3 other guys? all the same or different wages?

How much are you paying the tractor owner for use of the machine?

didnt i see your truck at John DeereLandscapes In Nixa a few weeks back?

Do you already have a mulch supplier?

Well from what I can figure I am gonna have to meet with the other guy Monday sometime to see what kinda of deal he wants to make if i get it.
I know he pays employees about $15-$20/hr (i think) and $100 to run the tractor.

I don't know if you saw me or not. I haven't been there for a while do to lack of landscape jobs, So i have been mowing mostly. Johne Deere said they could deliver the mulch from their supplier and the guy that may help has a supplier he said.

OrangeToys
06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
How would you present this job to the customer in writting? Should I write out a page letter stating what is being done or what?

South Florida Lawns
06-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I first figure out my materials cost and just dbl it. So if I get mulch for $24 a yard and 125 yrds is $3000 then I take my materials and double it and that's my final cost. I would wright out what that all includes in the estimate and break it down for the customer.

Also make sure you ask for a deposit on materials, that way you don't get screwed.

ajslands
06-14-2010, 04:21 PM
10000 grand total!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Are you bidding against anyone else?

Any idea about what the going rate is in your area?

10000 grand total!
Posted via Mobile Device

Brilliant as always.

What if the going rate in his area is $40\yard?

What if it's $100\yard?

What if his costs for material and labor are $80\yd?

What if his costs are $20 per yard?

Ignorant answer as usual aj.

Do you have any mulch blowing companies in your area? I wouldn't even contemplate spreading 125 yds by hand. I have a sub that all I have to do is make a call, give him the details, he sends me an invoice, I send the customer an invoice and I can make close to 40% on the work without touching a pitchfork or rake.

beegreenlandcare
06-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Are you bidding against anyone else?

Any idea about what the going rate is in your area?

Brilliant as always.

What if the going rate in his area is $40\yard?

What if it's $100\yard?

What if his costs for material and labor are $80\yd?

What if his costs are $20 per yard?

Ignorant answer as usual aj.

Do you have any mulch blowing companies in your area? I wouldn't even contemplate spreading 125 yds by hand. I have a sub that all I have to do is make a call, give him the details, he sends me an invoice, I send the customer an invoice and I can make close to 40% on the work without touching a pitchfork or rake.

Sub It!!!!! Its pretty plain and Obvious (to me at least) that you are simply NOT set-Up to do the job.
Many of these guys who have blowers are just starting up and their mrk-up is NOt that bad. Try finding a sub, you can still make money and (as mentioned) not have to bust YOUR a$$!

SuperDuty335
06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
125 yds isn't that much to handle if you have 4+ guys and you can get reasonably close to the beds, etc. With 4 guys you can have it finished in 2 days.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
thats a nice sized job. i wish i had just one of those!

pdenney11
06-16-2010, 12:06 AM
I think I would just let the other 3 guys and the tractor take care of the job. Bid it based on what he needs out of it then add a few hundred for yourself and call it good.

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 12:14 AM
I first figure out my materials cost and just dbl it. So if I get mulch for $24 a yard and 125 yrds is $3000 then I take my materials and double it and that's my final cost. I would wright out what that all includes in the estimate and break it down for the customer.

Also make sure you ask for a deposit on materials, that way you don't get screwed.

This is the most ridiculous primitive uneducated way to bid something. Double the materials:hammerhead: So if you get one type of mulch for 25 and one type for 40 you make 15 more per yard doing the same job...or better yet 15 less for the less expensive mulch. I would bid it out by the yard. I would bid it at 40 per yard for labor plus whatever you pay for mulch, plus whatever you mark it up. Add in edging weeding and prep work based on the time it will take. I usually charge a bit more but I would discount it because its 125 yards. You could probably even make money at 30 per yard for labor. Since you dont have the manpower or equipment to complete this job yourself I would stay at the high end. That would be 5000 in labor plus your mulch plus edging and weeding. Good luck.

pdenney11
06-16-2010, 12:21 AM
My bid would be around 6k for the job with 3 other guys and myself with a bobcat rental.

Darryl G
06-16-2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.expressblower.com/mulchblowing/index.html

Mark Oomkes
06-16-2010, 06:59 AM
125 yds isn't that much to handle if you have 4+ guys and you can get reasonably close to the beds, etc. With 4 guys you can have it finished in 2 days.

My sub can have it done in 4-5 hours with only a phone call.

And it will be a far superior product to anything anybody can do by wheelbarrow, bucket or tractor.

ajslands
06-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Why don't you call a landscape compnay in your area and ask what they would charge. Then you have a pretty good number.

Well I better get off to giving brillant answers to more threads! I don't wanna make mark ookMes mad! :waving:
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
06-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Why don't you call a landscape compnay in your area and ask what they would charge. Then you have a pretty good number.

Well I better get off to giving brillant answers to more threads! I don't wanna make mark ookMes mad! :waving:
Posted via Mobile Device

Too late for that.

Seriously, you need to stick to answering questions that you have good experience or knowledge about.

What would have happened had the OP taken your advice, lost his butt and had to file bankruptcy? He's the sole bread winner, now he's unemployed and his family is going hungry and his house is being foreclosed because he followed your ignorant advice. The whole idea of these forums is to help others, and your advice was far from helpful, in fact, it could have been very hurtful.

There are consequences to words and actions, and the sooner you learn that, the better off you will be. Besides, this isn't the first time you've given bad advice, here or at PS.

Now I'll probably get chewed out because I actually gave helpful advice. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ajslands
06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Too late for that.

Seriously, you need to stick to answering questions that you have good experience or knowledge about.

What would have happened had the OP taken your advice, lost his butt and had to file bankruptcy? He's the sole bread winner, now he's unemployed and his family is going hungry and his house is being foreclosed because he followed your ignorant advice. The whole idea of these forums is to help others, and your advice was far from helpful, in fact, it could have been very hurtful.

There are consequences to words and actions, and the sooner you learn that, the better off you will be. Besides, this isn't the first time you've given bad advice, here or at PS.

Now I'll probably get chewed out because I actually gave helpful advice. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
what would happen if people stopped complaining?
Would you start panicing instead?
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
06-16-2010, 08:19 PM
i charge $70 per yard installed that includes any bed maintenance that needs to be done such as weeding and edging. so my labor cost would be $8750. cost of the mulch would be at minimum 3k bucks for the cheap stuff around here, for a grand total of $11,750+ 6% CT sales tax. id imagine if i was to do 125 yards i would discount my labor rates down to 60 per yard installed. so that would lower it to $7500 for labor. thats just me tho. and thats what the going rates are for my area in CT.

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
i charge $70 per yard installed that includes any bed maintenance that needs to be done such as weeding and edging. so my labor cost would be $8750. cost of the mulch would be at minimum 3k bucks for the cheap stuff around here, for a grand total of $11,750+ 6% CT sales tax. id imagine if i was to do 125 yards i would discount my labor rates down to 60 per yard installed. so that would lower it to $7500 for labor. thats just me tho. and thats what the going rates are for my area in CT.

I am about the same with weeding and edging included. I may go a little lower if there were a lot of wide open areas or just to get the job to be honest. 125 yards is a good chunk of change and you can certainly make good money charging even less but I would have to feel the customer out a little.

As far as the other posters. No one is spreading 125 yards in 4-5 hours unless they bring in 4 truck blowers and 15-20 guys and the place is already prepped.

THEGOLDPRO
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
yeah it all depends on the terrain, if its all flat and easy beds i would lower my labor rates, if its all hilly and crappy spreading i would leave it at 70 per yard. either way you can lower your rates ALOT and still make a ton of money. i also second the comment about people spreading 125 yards in 4-5 hours thats just dumb talk. people love to make it sound like the job is easier then it is. 125 yards is a piss load of mulch.

rcpeoples
06-16-2010, 09:47 PM
First of all i never understand how a business owner will ask another business owner what they should charge. No one has the same expenses or overhead. Lets start thinking like business men and not employees with nice equipment. Total for mulch (price per yard, tax, delivery fee), labor cost per hour (workers and what ever you think you deserve). Then what everybody is forgetting business expenses and profit for business. I know we all don't bid jobs just to break even we have expenses too. Insurance, taxes, fuel, maintenance and business monies put aside for future equipment upgrades and unforeseen expenses. But this is just my two cents.:)

jwsland
06-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Clean-up/ prep? that could be quite a bit.

The whole thing could take a week. Don't get involved doing it yourself if you don't have the man power or time, not sure if you have lawns to cut throughout the week. Don't sub it out unless you know or trust someone who will definitley take care of it without your worrying. You don't want some goons on your job showing up drunk and taking forever. Definitley a big job that you could make some great money from if you do it right. I would hate to see you get in over your head.

Anywhere from $8,500-10k sounds reasonable (if it were done in my area) to me as long as the clean-up work isn't to extensive. Personally I'd do it with a few extra guys (apes) to help out, I'd be there working my butt off with everyone else and I'd get the mulch delivered to cut my costs down some.

ajslands
06-16-2010, 09:57 PM
i know you said you might be using your buddies tractor, and 3 other guys. you'll want to confirm that and then if you cant you need to calculate in rental, and most rental companies (at least around here) base a day off of 8 hours and 4 guys doing a 125 yard mulch job, is going to take like a week to do depending on the complexity, and temps outside. and if your mulch beds are close to a parking lot or not too busy street, then you can just pull a dump trailer full of mulch behind your truck and unload the mulch into the beds that way. becasue going back and fourth to the "pile" will take forever!
also since i'm assuming this is a commercial job, you'll want to have a place to dump the mulch, (NOT IN THE ROAD)!

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
First of all i never understand how a business owner will ask another business owner what they should charge. No one has the same expenses or overhead. Lets start thinking like business men and not employees with nice equipment. Total for mulch (price per yard, tax, delivery fee), labor cost per hour (workers and what ever you think you deserve). Then what everybody is forgetting business expenses and profit for business. I know we all don't bid jobs just to break even we have expenses too. Insurance, taxes, fuel, maintenance and business monies put aside for future equipment upgrades and unforeseen expenses. But this is just my two cents.:)
I dont understand why everyone on here says that what other people is charging is irrelevent. If you arent sure what to charge but you want the job whats wrong with advice. Besides if you dont have any work and you have expenses.......factor that in. Factor in that you are sitting home waiting for the phone to ring. Your monthly expenses should be the same every month. I doubt anyone who isnt sure about how much to bid has $20,000 a month in overhead. Overhead in this business is generally pretty low for a solo guy. One guy can only run so much equipment and this guy is having a friend help because he doesnt have the stuff. Even if it was $3000 per month for business expenses, that is only $150 per day....so I really dont think that peoples overhead is going to be an overwhelming factor for someone is small enough to ask how to bid these jobs.

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I dont understand why everyone on here says that what other people is charging is irrelevent. If you arent sure what to charge but you want the job whats wrong with advice. Besides if you dont have any work and you have expenses.......factor that in. Factor in that you are sitting home waiting for the phone to ring. Your monthly expenses should be the same every month. I doubt anyone who isnt sure about how much to bid has $20,000 a month in overhead. Overhead in this business is generally pretty low for a solo guy. One guy can only run so much equipment and this guy is having a friend help because he doesnt have the stuff. Even if it was $3000 per month for business expenses, that is only $150 per day....so I really dont think that peoples overhead is going to be an overwhelming factor for someone is small enough to ask how to bid these jobs.

I based $150 per day on 20 days a month. 4-5 day weeks.

THEGOLDPRO
06-16-2010, 10:02 PM

in my opinion this means nothing. bidding mulch jobs is about as easy as it comes. i know in my area we are ALL getting around 70 per yard installed, it doesnt matter what your expenses are. just because one guy has triple the expenses the next guy does doesnt mean hes gonna charge triple for the same job to break even with the other guy. if everyone is getting 70per yard across the board then thats what they should charge. if he bids it too high because his expenses are higher he will lose the hob to the next guy who bids it correctly for the market they are in.

ajslands
06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
in my opinion this means nothing. bidding mulch jobs is about as easy as it comes. i know in my area we are ALL getting around 70 per yard installed, it doesnt matter what your expenses are. just because one guy has triple the expenses the next guy does doesnt mean hes gonna charge triple for the same job to break even with the other guy. if everyone is getting 70per yard across the board then thats what they should charge. if he bids it too high because his expenses are higher he will lose the hob to the next guy who bids it correctly for the market they are in.

this is semi off topic, but do you get a lot of jobs in those mansions that are kinda but stanford? westport maybe? i darieanne (spellling)? how do you base those jobs? like 90-100$ a yard installed?

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
this is semi off topic, but do you get a lot of jobs in those mansions that are kinda but stanford? westport maybe? i darieanne (spellling)? how do you base those jobs? like 90-100$ a yard installed?

Ha ha nice quote!

JFGauvreau
06-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Man you guys get your mulch for cheap, around here its all around 60-70$ bucks per yard.

Darryl G
06-16-2010, 10:17 PM
But this is just my two cents.:)

Two cents....you're the low bidder I guess...the job is yours!!!

Darryl G
06-16-2010, 10:24 PM

I used to do tree work down there. Some of the places are incredible!!!! And a lot of them are just weekend/summer places. They have a full staff they keep there in case they decide to drop in! Housekeeper, chef, gardener and a whole seperate house for them to stay. I don't know how my boss got the jobs but we'd spend a week at some of these places just pruning the trees.

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 10:44 PM
I used to do tree work down there. Some of the places are incredible!!!! And a lot of them are just weekend/summer places. They have a full staff they keep there in case they decide to drop in! Housekeeper, chef, gardener and a whole seperate house for them to stay. I don't know how my boss got the jobs but we'd spend a week at some of these places just pruning the trees.

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get jobs like that.:laugh: You dont have a shot.:drinkup:

Darryl G
06-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Actually we used to meet down there at diners at 5:30 am to beat the rush hour traffic. It's much more pleasant to commute down with the pickup truck crowd than the Lexus crowd.

rcpeoples
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM

If this is your only job you need to figure in all your overhead (business and household). Don't sit on your butt at home waiting for someone to call get out and hustle your business. I thought people got into business to make money, guess i was wrong

rcpeoples
06-16-2010, 10:59 PM

So you will take a loss on a job just to get the job. Someone needs business 101.

OrangeToys
06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
The whole thing could take a week. Don't get involved doing it yourself if you don't have the man power or time, not sure if you have lawns to cut throughout the week. Don't sub it out unless you know or trust someone who will definitley take care of it without your worrying. You don't want some goons on your job showing up drunk and taking forever. Definitley a big job that you could make some great money from if you do it right. I would hate to see you get in over your head.

Anywhere from $8,500-10k sounds reasonable (if it were done in my area) to me as long as the clean-up work isn't to extensive. Personally I'd do it with a few extra guys (apes) to help out, I'd be there working my butt off with everyone else and I'd get the mulch delivered to cut my costs down some.

Well thats what im getting ready to bid 8,300 installed. no bed prep, hopefully semi will be able to get in the neighborhood too. and ya i have mowing but this job will pay what i would make mowing in 3 weeks easy. So ill be putting mowing off for 2-3 days (ill start on a monday when i don't mow much anyway).

THEGOLDPRO
06-16-2010, 11:44 PM
So you will take a loss on a job just to get the job. Someone needs business 101.

if your expenses are so high you have a hard time making money while trying to competing with other companys prices then you need business 101.

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 11:50 PM

Maybe you do if you think knowing what competition charges isnt important. Do you think mcdonalds doesnt know exactly how much a hamburger at BK is at all times? Do you think they dont price accordingly? Can you please teach me more about overhead?

THEGOLDPRO
06-16-2010, 11:57 PM
not to mention people dont care what your overhead is, they aren't paying you based on YOUR over head they are paying you based on market pricing. how do you expect to land jobs if your bids are always much higher then the next guy who has less overhead?

jwsland
06-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Well thats what im getting ready to bid 8,300 installed. no bed prep, hopefully semi will be able to get in the neighborhood too. and ya i have mowing but this job will pay what i would make mowing in 3 weeks easy. So ill be putting mowing off for 2-3 days (ill start on a monday when i don't mow much anyway).

I'm sure you'll be able to clear up some days by cutting sooner, a little shorter or later if you have to. We're probably all used to doing that. Definitley find out about the truck before hand. Sleep on that price for a day or two and make sure you haven't forgotten anything and still feel comfortable with it. Good luck, I hope you get the job. If you do keep the wheel barrows movin, the forks spreadin and the pile shrinkin!

rcpeoples
06-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Maybe you do if you think knowing what competition charges isnt important. Do you think mcdonalds doesnt know exactly how much a hamburger at BK is at all times? Do you think they dont price accordingly? Can you please teach me more about overhead?

Do you think they will take a loss. Do you think they ask BK what they should charge for a burger ? Sure what would you like to know ?

rcpeoples
06-17-2010, 06:53 AM
not to mention people dont care what your overhead is, they aren't paying you based on YOUR over head they are paying you based on market pricing. how do you expect to land jobs if your bids are always much higher then the next guy who has less overhead?

Know one said your bid has to be higher all the time. But why just break even or better yet take a loss. I'm not in business just to make beer money.:drinkup:

Mark Oomkes
06-17-2010, 08:08 AM
what would happen if people stopped complaining?
Would you start panicing instead?
Posted via Mobile Device

Huh? :dizzy:

As far as the other posters. No one is spreading 125 yards in 4-5 hours unless they bring in 4 truck blowers and 15-20 guys and the place is already prepped.

2 blower trucks, 4-6 guys, 65 yds per truck, 4-5 hours they'll be done. That is their only business and they do it well. Like I said, all I have to do is make a phone call\fax\e-mail and wait for their invoice, send mind and deposit the check from the customer.

Been using them for over 10 years.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

That's great Ben, but it's just like plowing. Prices vary by region. Idiots by me are charging $35\yd installed. But then I have a feeling that some aren't really honest with their yardage.

But it's still pointless, because I am going to assume that the OP is honest. Like you said in a later post, it does matter to some extent what the going rate is (I did as well) because this guy might take somebodies amount of $70 or 80 per yard while the going rate is $35. Or he might be able to bid it at $95 and make a ton of cash because he has low overhead and the going rate is $100 per yard. Or his costs might be $70 per yard because his mulch is as expensive as the guy from Ontario that chimed in.

So it is rather pointless to ask other business owners from across the country what they would charge for mulch just as it is to ask them about plowing and\or salting.

JohnnyRoyale
06-17-2010, 08:22 AM
We've done it ourself whenever we had the time and we've had it blown in on many occasions.

In all honesty, I just call in a blower truck without thinking about it anymore and usually come out with more $$$ in the end without any effort or aggravation.

Regardless of who does it, we normally charge $60-$65 a yard for material worth $18-$20 (general purpose shredded mulch) a yard in 100 yard loads. Our blower guy normally charges around $40-$45 a yard, supplied and spread. If there's edging and weeding involved we charge seperately for that and would get it done before he blows it in and send a labourer to follow the blow truck around to define the edges a bit better while he's blowing it in.

We have knocked out 100 yards in a long day with a 5 man crew and 2 machines bringing it back and forth. The cleanup part of the job sucks as you always loose a little here and there while transporting from the pile to the bed-no cleanup required with a blower truck.

You better hope the winds dont pick up either.

Darryl G
06-17-2010, 08:31 AM

There's a huge difference between selling a service and a commodity! Lawn care is a service, not a commodity. Different levels of service demand different prices. I take a personal interest in each of my customers lawns and consider them a reflection of myself. Thats what some people want and I can give it to them. Premium service deserves premium compensation. Joe Mow and Blow may be able to do it for less but will not be able to satisfy the customers that are looking for a premium service (and are willing to pay for it).

Mark Oomkes
06-17-2010, 08:43 AM
FWIW, I think the industry "average" of 1 yd\hour\man is on the low side. And I know this includes pickup and cleanup, etc. But if I ever had an employee that spread that slow, we would be having a chat.

Throw in equipment vs a pitchfork and wheelbarrow and you've got some major production issues if you can't do at minimum 3 yds\hour\man.

We have cranked out 100 yds with 3 guys, a tractor and a Workman with sides in a normal day. But that was back when I was ambitious.

JohnnyRoyale
06-17-2010, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Oomkes;3608658]But that was back when I was ambitious.[/QUOTE

You lacking ambition? I thought I was the only one. It happens every year for me around this time-dont know why.

Mark Oomkes
06-17-2010, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Oomkes;3608658]But that was back when I was ambitious.[/QUOTE

You lacking ambition? I thought I was the only one. It happens every year for me around this time-dont know why.

Not sure if it's old age or crappy economy and working for nothing. :rolleyes:

Or both. :drinkup:

nepatsfan
06-17-2010, 07:10 PM
There's a huge difference between selling a service and a commodity! Lawn care is a service, not a commodity. Different levels of service demand different prices. I take a personal interest in each of my customers lawns and consider them a reflection of myself. Thats what some people want and I can give it to them. Premium service deserves premium compensation. Joe Mow and Blow may be able to do it for less but will not be able to satisfy the customers that are looking for a premium service (and are willing to pay for it).

I agree. My point is that you should know what your competitors are charging. At least a rough idea. You need to know why you are getting every bid you put out or why you aren't getting any bids.

Darryl G
06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree. My point is that you should know what your competitors are charging. At least a rough idea. You need to know why you are getting every bid you put out or why you aren't getting any bids.

Yah, I can agree with that :)

andyslawncare
06-17-2010, 09:58 PM
you didn't mention what kind of mulch and how much you will be paying for that kind of mulch with delivery and tax. My tractor sub usually gets over $500, easy for a day. Why are you having the tractor guy's employees help?...why not your own? I would never pay anyone more than $12/hr to spread mulch, especially if its moved for them with a tractor...