PDA

View Full Version : Starters

mycave
03-19-2000, 04:50 PM
My starter is free wheeling when I turn the key try it a couple more times it will catch is it most likely the starter or could fly wheel have a bad spot, this just started today hoping it is the starter? thanks for the help

billebob
03-19-2000, 06:48 PM
Well, your probly right. It's most likely either one of those things. My advice is if it just started today, take off the starter and look at the gear on it. If you let this go anylonger it could potentialy cause more problems. If the gear on the starter is ok, look at the flywheel. It probly has some busted off teeth. But, if the starter has some missing teeth replace it right away. Because if you don't, you'll probly end up having it mess up the fly wheel. Sometimes, also, the starter may not be working right, and it may not be kicking out the gear to the fly wheel all the time. If that's the case, replace the starter.<br>See ya,<br>Bill

billebob
03-19-2000, 06:49 PM
Well, your probly right. It's most likely either one of those things. My advice is if it just started today, take off the starter and look at the gear on it. If you let this go anylonger it could potentialy cause more problems. If the gear on the starter is ok, look at the flywheel. It probly has some busted off teeth. But, if the starter has some missing teeth replace it right away. Because if you don't, you'll probly end up having it mess up the fly wheel. Sometimes, also, the starter may not be working right, and it may not be kicking out the gear to the fly wheel all the time. If that's the case, replace the starter.<br>See ya,<br>Bill

yortengel
03-21-2000, 08:31 PM
Better buy a starter before you remove the old one. Sounds like you need it. Billibob is right, Don't wait. the flywheel is harder to change.

Abe
03-31-2000, 08:32 PM
well if you havent changed your starter yet, pull it and take it to the local parts house they will check it for free!!!!!