PDA

View Full Version : need advice, new wheel barrow for mulch

seabee24
06-13-2010, 03:22 PM
its time to get a new wheel barow

currently i have 2 6 cu foot, single axel

and a 10 cubic foot dual

the 10 is nice but its a little big to get into tight spots, and the dual wheels push a little harder, and make it impossible to steer around plants in tighter beds

what would you guys think of an 8 cu foot, with a single tire? i found one on the net...never used that brand before.

your thoughts. its all in the name of speeding up the work.

starc
06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
If the big one is to big than a smaller one makes more sense....

starc
06-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I can't see 2 cubic feet of mulch causing an issue as mulch is not heavy to begin with.

seabee24
06-13-2010, 03:40 PM
If the big one is to big than a smaller one makes more sense....

we do use the 10 cu alot, but while your pushing it an d dumping it, to me, it seems as if you have little control, its kinda of an all or nothing. thus it can only be used in the big areas.

the little 6 cu sems small to me anyway, lots of control while dumping, and it fits between plants fairly well.

i didnt know if the 8 would kinda offer the best of both worlds or if anyone had experiance in using one, and maybe its too wide like the 10 to offer control dumping

grassman177
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
i feel the bigger the better, never understood otherwise unless you are not a bug guy to handle that weight. we use JEEP brand wheel barrows, google them, very well built. recently got a power barrow though, not for your tight areas, but my guys have done it well anyways and they are way too easy to use

QuadRacer041
06-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I use a 10ft almost exclusively and have for almost 10 years. I dont find it hard to push or steer at all. You cant lean it like a single wheel but it steers fine. It is a little bulky in tight beds, I'll bring the 6ft with me if i know I have a lot of tight areas but very rarely use it. I've found that 2 full 10ft'rs about 3 to 3.5 6ft'rs. Thats adds up to alot less trip when your doing 10-20 yards of mulch.

BrandonV
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
am leonards sells a 8cyft single wheel model... hottness.

White Gardens
06-13-2010, 10:24 PM
A John Deere Gator works great also.

360ci
06-13-2010, 10:46 PM
I'd stick with a single wheel for tighter areas.

My old wheelbarrow literally fell apart last fall. I looked into the need for a new one, having to cart it around on top of my mulch in the trailer but as I haven't had the need to do a mulch install over two cubic yards, I use 2-3 cubic foot rubbermaid containers! it's light to carry even when rounded up with mulch, go dump it, and get another load. I back the trailer up as close as possible to the area in question to make it easier.

One house had a lot of stairs, which was the only access point to the house (driveway was lowered in front of raised property, so I couldn't use that!). Took an hour by myself to carry all the mulch up and another twenty minutes to finalize the look. In this case a wheelbarrow would've been worse, as I would have had to slowly lug it up the stairs anyway. I'm cheap, too.

seabee24
06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I use a 10ft almost exclusively and have for almost 10 years. I dont find it hard to push or steer at all. You cant lean it like a single wheel but it steers fine. It is a little bulky in tight beds, I'll bring the 6ft with me if i know I have a lot of tight areas but very rarely use it. I've found that 2 full 10ft'rs about 3 to 3.5 6ft'rs. Thats adds up to alot less trip when your doing 10-20 yards of mulch.

my average job has been 15 yards this year. some bigger . some smaller, but lots around the 15 number

problem i have with the 10, almost none of these places have wide open beds. plants every 12 inches. just basicly alot of fully planted beds. i cant honestly say that i have given the 10 cu double that much of a try, it just seems that every time i get behind it, that dumping say 50% with any type of control isnt a real possiblity, let alone steering around plants

seabee24
06-14-2010, 07:54 PM
am leonards sells a 8cyft single wheel model... hottness.

cant seem to find it on there site, due you have a part number?