PDA

View Full Version : Non Core Core Bits Keep Bending

4 seasons lawn&land
06-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Ive tried 1/2 and 1/4 inch non core core bits on a handheld core drill and they are NOT lasting long at all. One I made last 20 holes or so and the other 2 bent in less than 10. Insted of binding up the drill when I get off center they are just bending them.

They are monster brand and are quite a bit cheaper than most others but I dont want to spend more on better bits if it is stupid to be hand drilling with no rig with such weak and narrow bits.

Any suggestions? I cant get a rig in on this particular situation. The best I can come up with is buy 6 or 7 bits and try a keep a steady hand... which sucks.

2low4NH
06-14-2010, 09:38 AM
what are you drilling? you could be warping the bit from heat.

Bru75
06-14-2010, 08:34 PM
They are monster brand and are quite a bit cheaper than most others but I dont want to spend more on better bits if it is stupid to be hand drilling with no rig with such weak and narrow bits.

That might explain it.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I use the water hook up so they dont get hot at all.

And all diamond cutting products vary greatly in price, I thought it was because of the amount of diamond in the tool. Can the steel be better too?

2low4NH
06-14-2010, 11:06 PM
yes we buy cheap blades all the time and then we buy the 5-700 dollar blades the metal is just as important. harder higher quality and thicker. are yo using a hammer drill? how large of a hole? have you thought about carbide? it all depends on whats being drilled. sandstone marble granite they are all different

4 seasons lawn&land
06-15-2010, 09:46 PM
bluestone, which is a hard sandstone. Ive bent 3/8" and 1/2" bits. It isnt a hammer drill. When I get off center with a big bit the drill binds up and stops like it should. When I get of center with these little bits it will bend the bit before it stops the drill. So maybe I will try a more expensive bit with the hope of stronger steel.

2low4NH
06-16-2010, 12:51 AM
bluestone is easy to drill through. if you are doing small holes in it use a hammer drill. just make sure the back side of the stone is supported i like to use sand beds. core bits are bit much to use for small holes. even large pieces of granite i use hammer drills. I am talking like hilti size not small drill size. just drill slow and take your time. if you need the core bit same rule applies. If the stne is more then 1.5" thick any movement will bind the bit up hard and something will break either bit,stone,drill.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-16-2010, 08:54 AM
yeah, it is 2" thick. I would like the drill to handle the bind ups since it has the "smart features" to stop as opposed to the bit bending.

My 3/8 non core bits were $25. I ordered a couple $65 cyclone bits. Hopefully theyll be better.