PDA

View Full Version : Red or Black mulch?? why?

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
06-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi guys

I got another mulching job today,and ill try the black mulch to see how it looks

i've seen alot of picks on here ,and looks pretty nice

you guys have any favorites?

tell us why?

360ci
06-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Personally, I prefer the dark pine mulch, it's natural dark brown and has no dyes, yet it's one of the finer mulches in my area so it holds moisture longer than large chipped mulch.

I'm putting on some black dyed mulch tomorrow afternoon for a relative. I'll take some shots of the process. Keep in mind the black dye (here at least) is safe for use around plants, but it's NOT environmentally friendly dye.

Personally I think the black mulch looks morbid, because if you look at it from a distance it really doesn't look like mulch unless you decide to spray some gloss on it (had a guy do that last year!), as it just looks like black earth soil unless you look at it up close, then it looks OK depending on the theme of the area in question. Black stone, with dark green trees and black mulch = morbid. It's all a personal decision of course. Not that I'm biased. It is however one of the lowest cost mulches you can get in my area at $39/cubic yard (Canadian dollars).

head_start
06-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Im with him^ the dyes are not my favorite thing. i will say the black mulch looks good against a gray foundation, but so would the darker natural mulches. when it comes to choosing mulch, unless the owner has any suggestions i pull out a color blind person's best friend, the color wheel. so............

mnglocker
06-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I prefer undied cypress or shreaded cedar for most beds, however black mulch make colorful flower beds really stand out.

RakenShovel
06-14-2010, 05:16 PM
If a customer asks me to suggest mulch color, unless the house is a very light/white/grey color, I'm gonna say the natural dark brown mulch.

Black Mulch can look good but I think its 1. overused, 2. used in places it doesn't stand out, and 3. not all that healthy in the long run.

If they want bags, I like the regular brown wood color there, as well.

Nothing beats red, though..thats the weirdest of all colors, to me.

Think Green
06-14-2010, 11:50 PM
We have been involved in two color combination landscapes. I saw a article in one of my mags a couple years ago on those colored rocks from somewhere out west. Since my customers don't like rocks, I figured "What the hay!" I will combine some type of linear art using two colors of mulch. I don't mean mixing up the colors but separating them into schemes of black and red--brown and red and so on. Quite a few customers love this as it isn't a usual pattern for landscapes. In the past, natural was all we used........shredded pine mulch when we could get it.........pine bark, and pine nuggets. Cypress is not one of my favorite choices as it fades out so much locally and the customer doesn't like the faded textures. Natural hardwood is an all time favorite......it is what we use the most of. Red came into our area and every single commercial business, school, park, industry, and bank has this on their beds. Black didn't take off real well as it is really unnatural and looks too dark and hot. As a matter of fact, it is too hot for most beds anyway..............it draws too much heat and will boil most newly planted landscapes

dgw
06-14-2010, 11:53 PM
black

or hardwood blend

and 39$ a yard:dizzy:

jwsland
06-15-2010, 06:25 AM
The area I work in 98% of mulch consists of black or brown dye, or triple ground. The only places that seem to have red are McDonalds, Wendys or Burger King. Not a big fan of the red.

JohnnyRoyale
06-15-2010, 07:26 AM
I personally cant stand the dyed stuff.
I prefer the more natural alternative-shredded pine or cedar mulch.
But thats JMO.

cgaengineer
06-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Pine straw for us southern guys...

RakenShovel
06-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Pine straw for us southern guys...

kind of odd that the only people who use pine straw here are very few wealthier customers. Very much a "my neighbor has it..." area.

cgaengineer
06-15-2010, 11:21 AM
There are some dyed mulch people around but I would say 70-80% is pine straw...its cheaper around here then dyed mulch and I think it looks better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
We have been involved in two color combination landscapes. I saw a article in one of my mags a couple years ago on those colored rocks from somewhere out west. Since my customers don't like rocks, I figured "What the hay!" I will combine some type of linear art using two colors of mulch. I don't mean mixing up the colors but separating them into schemes of black and red--brown and red and so on. Quite a few customers love this as it isn't a usual pattern for landscapes. In the past, natural was all we used........shredded pine mulch when we could get it.........pine bark, and pine nuggets. Cypress is not one of my favorite choices as it fades out so much locally and the customer doesn't like the faded textures. Natural hardwood is an all time favorite......it is what we use the most of. Red came into our area and every single commercial business, school, park, industry, and bank has this on their beds. Black didn't take off real well as it is really unnatural and looks too dark and hot. As a matter of fact, it is too hot for most beds anyway..............it draws too much heat and will boil most newly planted landscapesCool...do you have any pictures of this?

cgaengineer
06-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Red and black together would be very popular around here...UGA's colors.
Posted via Mobile Device