PDA

View Full Version : QB Pro - payment/invoice conflict

Roger
06-13-2010, 09:32 PM
How can I fix a problem with an incorrect payment entry amount?

I billed a customer 190.80. He sent a check for 190.08. I "Received payment" and recorded 190.80, not noticing the check error. I do not want to go through the hassle of getting a new check for the correct amount.

Now, I have the Invoice marked as "Paid." When I try to change the "Receive Payment" to 190.08, QB tells this payment cannot be modified because it has been applied to an invoice. When I try to modify the Invoice (so that the total is 190.08), QB tells me it already has payments against it and cannot be modified.

I seem to be in a catch-22. I cannot modify the payment, I cannot modify the invoice.

Suggestions by those who know QB and accounting better than I?

Obviously, I should have caught the error before entering "Receive Payment" wrongly. But, I did not, and am now in a quandary about getting this fixed so that nothing is left hanging.

What is in the "May" water? About 10% of the checks that have come from May billings have been wrongly written. Some are $0.10, others $0.30, others $0.40. I've never had this problem before like this. The invoices were created and sent just like every other month. I'm at a loss to explain why all of a sudden, people cannot write checks for the correct amount. All others, I've caught before getting this far into QB procedures, and I've been able to change the Invoice. This one has gone too far.

Thanks for any help.

Ruben Rocha
06-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Hopefully you have not reconciled your checking account yet.
So one way would be to delete the payment. Then you could change the invoice amount and re-apply the payment.
Now that will make your bank statement not match up for deposits. but the bottom line will match.
Meaning the .72 cents will be off on one deposit and the so called fake deposit will correct the bank statement clicking on it even though you did not go to the bank.

secretary
06-15-2010, 12:44 PM
What steps are required to correct a receipt of payment from a customer?

If you enter the wrong information for payment received from a customer on account, you can correct it even if you have already saved the transaction. Choose Receive Payments from the Customers menu. Click the Previous or Next button to locate the transaction that needs to be changed. When the Customer Payment appears in the Receive Payments entry window, make the necessary corrections and then save the updated transaction

Roger
06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have solved the problem, not necessarily directly as these posts suggest. The key was directing me by 'secretary' to bring back the payment. I used the "unapply payment" choice at the bottom. This relieved the Invoice from "Paid" status. I was able to make slight adjustment in the invoice to meet the payment. Then returning to Payment, I was able to "apply."

All is well.

Thanks very much.