PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Wall Footing Blocks

EgansCountryGardens
06-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok. Here is an idea that I've had, and may try it....I know its such a pain in the a** leveling that first course of retaining wall just right. So here is my idea......

Precast concrete base courses about 5 ft. long, 3" thick and 10" wide. I could easily build some forms from some 2x4's and form plywood, mix the concrete, and drop a couple pieces of rebar in it. I could have the yard guy just making these things up when he has nothing to do. It would be alot easier leveling these for a base course, then just setting the block on top of them. It would be buried anyways and would take up the same amount of space as the retaining wall would on its base course, so I would save that money on wall material. I don't think they would be too heavy.

So then I was thinking if I kind of mass produced these things and palletized them, I wonder what kind of market there would be for them. Does it sound like anything that you guys would buy if the money was right? It would be a huge time saver on that base course, and it would be alot cheaper than buying the block for the same space.

DVS Hardscaper
06-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Or.......one could just go to the local Concrete Masonry Block supply yard an buy lintels. Which we have done before......

2low4NH
06-14-2010, 08:15 AM
the weigh more which means 2 guys to set them. base course is the only part of the job that takes time. i nderstand trying to make it faster with bigger bases bt that also slows you down. More material to haul,staging area to build out base first, weight. just a few reasons it would take longer. just screed your base so its almost perfect and lay each block.