PDA

View Full Version : Front or rear disc brake rotors more important?

MikeKle
06-13-2010, 11:07 PM
So which end provides more stopping power, the front..right? thats always what Ive been lead to believe anyway, but that was on trucks with drum rears and front discs, this truck has all discs? The problem is my brakes are pulsating when I press them, and my rotors need replacing, and I am going to replace all of them, but for now, I am doing the front or rear, and trying to decide which is more important. The rear rotors, the pads are only making contact with about half of the rotor surface, other half is rusty?

FiveOJoe
06-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Front brakes do twice as much braking as rear brakes.

T.M. LAWNS
06-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Sounds like your front rotors are warped. Replace both front rotors and pads, I wouldn't waste my time cutting the rotors because they will just warp again only this time alot quicker because the rotors have been cut ( thinner )

Gravel Rat
06-13-2010, 11:45 PM
You should do all 4 corners but do the front brakes first and when you do the front brakes use the best parts you can buy. The rear brakes you can get away with mid grade brake pads and rotors if you don't tow trailers. If you tow trailers or carry heavy loads on a regular basis run the premium brakes all the way around.

ZTR_Diesel
06-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Yes - what Gravel Rat said.

And be VERY thankful you have 4-wheel disk brakes. Biggest weakness of my generation of trucks.

MikeKle
06-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah, the front is what I thought too, Im going to do the back too, just later on, My rotors were only $25 each too. that was surprising, I expected them to be much more? They are the correct ones too.

mnglocker
06-14-2010, 11:49 AM
You should do all 4 corners but do the front brakes first and when you do the front brakes use the best parts you can buy. The rear brakes you can get away with mid grade brake pads and rotors if you don't tow trailers. If you tow trailers or carry heavy loads on a regular basis run the premium brakes all the way around.

Use matching grade brake components all the way around, your trucks front/rear brake bias is based on having matching friction all the way around.

Sounds like your front rotors are warped. Replace both front rotors and pads, I wouldn't waste my time cutting the rotors because they will just warp again only this time alot quicker because the rotors have been cut ( thinner )

And word on turning rotors, if they've allready warped, they're toasted, heat checked and too thin to disapate heat properly, turning them will make it worse and it will happen quicker.

When trailering, depending on how you load your trailer you rear brakes can do a much larger portion of the work and are not a place to skip over with cheap parts if you tow on a daily basis.

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Front brakes do twice as much braking as rear brakes.

Not necessarily.

What if you're carrying a full load?

Or pulling a trailer, especially a gooseneck\fifth wheel?

Why oh why oh why oh why would anyone skimp on brake parts?

Especially on a vehicle that is more than likely towing a trailer?

Use matching grade brake components all the way around, your trucks front/rear brake bias is based on having matching friction all the way around.

And word on turning rotors, if they've allready warped, they're toasted, heat checked and too thin to disapate heat properly, turning them will make it worse and it will happen quicker.

When trailering, depending on how you load your trailer you rear brakes can do a much larger portion of the work and are not a place to skip over with cheap parts if you tow on a daily basis.

Yeah, what he said.

SLR
06-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah, the front is what I thought too, Im going to do the back too, just later on, My rotors were only $25 each too. that was surprising, I expected them to be much more? They are the correct ones too.

Mikekle, what was the conclusion to your whobbling front end on your Dodge?

Gravel Rat
06-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Not necessarily.

What if you're carrying a full load?

Or pulling a trailer, especially a gooseneck\fifth wheel?

Why oh why oh why oh why would anyone skimp on brake parts?

Especially on a vehicle that is more than likely towing a trailer?

Yeah, what he said.

It is different when you live in the USA and auto parts are cheap for a set of rear brake rotors for a srw truck plan on paying 120 each for the cheap ones and 160 dollars each for good ones. Highest grade brake pads are 180 dollars a set the cheaper ones 150.

Myself I use nothing but Raybestos brake pads and OEM brake rotors.

MikeKle
06-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Mikekle, what was the conclusion to your whobbling front end on your Dodge?

It went away completely after i got new tires on it. a few tires had bulges on them and it was causing the shaking. it rides like a caddy now, and the upper ball joint was not broken, like I was told twice? I checked it 3 different times and had a friend check it, no play at all up down or to the sides, and if it were broken or cracked, you could easily see it, as the upper ball joint on this truck is very visible. I guess they were trying to screw me over? but they also quoted me over $800. for 4 new rotors and new pads all the way around? What a rip off, I can do that all for around $160. and within 2 hours, if that!

SLR
06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Thats a great ending to that project of scamy repair shop quotings of $800..Glad to hear the whobble wasn't because of your love for tire plugs!
:)

MikeKle
06-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah, i do love tire plugs! I am a artist with the plug!