PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Ford F-250

mrsops
06-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey guys I've been having an on going problem with my personal pick up truck wondering if you guys are having this same problem or someone can help me out on this matter. This truck has to be the worst driving truck I've ever been in. It bounces and jumps all over the road especially if i hit a pot hole. I don't know why but this truck actually hurts my back from all the bouncing around.

I mean all we buy is fords and there great work trucks there built right, i mean i don't know someone told me to put rancho shocks in and i wont have this problem need some help on this because the ride of this truck sucks.

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Did you replace the steering stabilizer?

mrsops
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Did you replace the steering stabilizer?

No I havent mark

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
No I havent mark

Start there, it's called the death wobble. Fords and Dodges have it, not all of them, but both brands do.

mrsops
06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Start there, it's called the death wobble. Fords and Dodges have it, not all of them, but both brands do.

Death wobble you aint kidding, i cant tell you how many times i hit a pot hole and the truck actually jumps into the other lane. Its scary as hell.

what exactly is the steering stabilizer?

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm no expert, but it's basically a shock mounted horizontally between the axle and the tie rod.

Gravel Rat
06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
You want to replace the steering stabilizer and you want to check the panhard bar bushings also check the radius arm bushings.

Any truck with a monobeam front axle like a 4x4 Ford or Dodge or a 450/550 4500/5500 truck will get death wobble.

castlerockmo
06-14-2010, 08:31 PM
It happened to me today in my truck. Every time it has happened has been because one of the steering tires is bad so I am replacing it tommarow. I was doing 75 down the highway and hit some pot holes on a bridge the thing shook all over till I slowed down to about 50.
Posted via Mobile Device

jwsland
06-15-2010, 06:00 AM
i have owned two f.350 diesels, old one an 05, current 06, both with coils up-front. i had this problem. its called death wobble and many things can cause it. Check everything out under there. Trac-arm seems to be a common problem, also get your tires re-balanced, might be something that simple. steering rod, the one with the ball joint on it could be shot. A bad steering stabilizer rarely will cause the death wobble your describing. hopefully it isnt anything in the 4wd assembly like your u-joints. Keep us posted.

Mark Oomkes
06-15-2010, 08:04 AM
i have owned two f.350 diesels, old one an 05, current 06, both with coils up-front. i had this problem. its called death wobble and many things can cause it. Check everything out under there. Trac-arm seems to be a common problem, also get your tires re-balanced, might be something that simple. steering rod, the one with the ball joint on it could be shot. A bad steering stabilizer rarely will cause the death wobble your describing. hopefully it isnt anything in the 4wd assembly like your u-joints. Keep us posted.

Really?

Funny how on the truck sites the first thing everyone suggests to replace is the stabilizer when someone experiences death wobble.

Good idea to have all the front end components checked, but this is the easiest and most common solution to the problem.

jwsland
06-15-2010, 09:13 PM
From what he described there is normally something else wrong. That little shock absorber isn't whats keeping your whole entire front end from going into a death wobble. I've removed one from a friends super duty before and it didnt create a death wobble. It got bent off-roading and it needed to be taken off to get the truck back home, and ended up never being replaced. The name "steering stabilizer" is what everone thinks of immidiatley because of well, the name. You can mask the problem by putting an aftermarket one in. Most of the time its the trac-bar, steering arm or bad tire balancing in 05 and up ford with the coil springs up front.

jwsland
06-15-2010, 09:19 PM
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0912_ford_super_duty_death_wobble_cure/index.html

Theres an option.

mrsops
06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Update i put all rancho shocks in front and back i also put the steering stablelizer in... helped a little not much gotta be something else

earthmover
06-28-2010, 07:39 PM
My 2006 F-350 was doing it when my tires were bad but since I replaced my tires the problem seems to have went away.;)

mrsops
06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I dont know this is annoying as hell. Im gonna go back to a 150 or maybe even look at 1500 gmc

AEL
06-28-2010, 09:54 PM
I dont know this is annoying as hell. Im gonna go back to a 150 or maybe even look at 1500 gmc

Or just get an 03 f250, or a newer style ford. Believe me you dont want a half ton truck after having a real truck.

mrsops
06-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Or just get an 03 f250, or a newer style ford. Believe me you dont want a half ton truck after having a real truck.

My father has a 2008 its better then my truck but hes also complaining of the bouncing around.. My father had a 99 f-150 still till this day he says its the best truck he ever had. He plowed every winter with it to and he loved it.. Now one of my guys has it and he uses it to plow still lol. 150,000 miles still going

unkownfl
06-28-2010, 10:49 PM
I had the same problem with mine since day one. If I would go over the rail road tracks at like 50 here in town it would bounce all over the place. The speed limit was 45 over them but still. I don't think anything is wrong with the truck its just how a full size truck is at higher speeds. Now mine wasn't extreme as what you describe. I had an 06 crew cab FX4 diesel with the upgraded shocks etc.