PDA

View Full Version : Burning bush and maple trees

mrsops
06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Hey guys i came across something very strange today and I'm wondering if someone can help me out on this matter. I planted about 40 burning bush and about 20 maple trees in a shopping center last year in November. Now i just passed the shopping center today and all the burning bush and half the of the maple trees are all ready turning red. What the hell is going on????

Ive really never seen this before and I'm starting to get a little nervous are they getting to much water?

White Gardens
06-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Did you amend the soil or till up the planted areas before you installed them?

mrsops
06-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Did you amend the soil or till up the planted areas before you installed them?

no i filled the area in with top soil and every was planted in the top soil

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm guessing you answered your own question.

Did you check the soil with a probe?

How much water have they been getting?

mrsops
06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm guessing you answered your own question.

Did you check the soil with a probe?

How much water have they been getting?

Everyday they get water. I did put a call in to my sprinkler guy to see what he has the timer set on.

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Everyday they get water. I did put a call in to my sprinkler guy to see what he has the timer set on.

Do they need water every day?

How much rain have you been getting?

What's the soil under the topsoil?

mrsops
06-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Do they need water every day?

How much rain have you been getting?

What's the soil under the topsoil?

We havent been getting much rain.. Its been hot out so i told him to let the water go everyday. Its all top soil

Mark Oomkes
06-14-2010, 04:50 PM
OK, then we go back to, do they need water?

Get a soil probe and start checking next to the root balls. Only way you're going to know for sure.

White Gardens
06-14-2010, 05:36 PM
If you just threw in topsoil then I'm wondering if you have a hardpan situation. The water is draining out of the good soil and stopping at the hardpan/clay layer left over from the construction.

Probably wet feet, or poor sub-soil conditions that are affecting the plants.

mrsops
06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
If you just threw in topsoil then I'm wondering if you have a hardpan situation. The water is draining out of the good soil and stopping at the hardpan/clay layer left over from the construction.

Probably wet feet, or poor sub-soil conditions that are affecting the plants.

Are they going to die thou??

White Gardens
06-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Are they going to die thou??

If they don't then they sure aren't going to do very good at all. If my thought is the issue, then you'll need to go figure it out.

Go pop out a burning bush or two and see whats going on at the bottom of the root ball.

WGrnd21
06-14-2010, 09:21 PM
First of all you should never plant trees in beds heavily amended with topsoil. You should have lightly amended the soil so they can adapt to the native soil. Second how big were the plants when you installed, were the maples B&B? Shrubs only need 1 gallon of water per week to become established. A tree with a one inch trunk needs 10 gallons per week to become established. I would say you are watering them way too much.

WGrnd21
06-14-2010, 09:32 PM
They could get root rot. Also what is the weather like, long periods of cooler nights can cause trees to get tricked an abscission layer can form which is why trees change colors in the fall. If the leaves drop wait one season before pulling them the trees may be stressed this season and will come back next season.

AGLA
06-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Yellowing and reddening is more likely from too much water rather than too little, but could be totally unrelated to water.

mdlwn1
06-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Its obviously stress. You really should pop one out and take a look like the other poster said. Some type of topsoil will hold water seemingly forever and requires almost no water other than the day of planting. Keep in mind that all new plantings should be watered the day they are installed with a hose untill saturated......Not with a sprinkler system.

Mark Oomkes
06-15-2010, 07:40 AM
If they are sitting in water because of hardpan\layering, you can start to address the issue with vertical mulching.

mdlwn1
06-15-2010, 07:49 AM
If they are sitting in water because of hardpan\layering, you can start to address the issue with vertical mulching.

Lol...if the problem is hard pan.....you dig a hole through it...

Mark Oomkes
06-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Lol...if the problem is hard pan.....you dig a hole through it...

That's what I said. :drinkup:

mrsops
06-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, i will be digging one out today

mrsops
06-15-2010, 12:18 PM
heres some pics of the plants and trees. Pop a few burning bushes out and the root balls were very wet..

P.Services
06-15-2010, 10:27 PM
this may be a word only used by me and my guys but i call those "toastie-me-yaago"

oh and nice little story in the worksaver!!!

Steiner
08-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Did you end up correcting the problem? How did you go about it?

JimLewis
08-16-2010, 11:19 PM
That's about how many of the burning bushes in our area look right now. About half of them in the area are still mostly green and the other half are already changing like the ones you show in your photo. I notice that every year. Some just turn sooner than others. I think it depends on how much sunlight they get. The ones that get more shade seem to turn later than those in full sun.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. They look fine.

GBD
08-16-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm in Ohio and I have seen several maple trees in the last year that the trunk has almost exploded right above the crown and then the trees turn red in the middle of the summer and die. I have not been able to find anyone that can tell me for sure what is causing it though.

White Gardens
08-17-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm in Ohio and I have seen several maple trees in the last year that the trunk has almost exploded right above the crown and then the trees turn red in the middle of the summer and die. I have not been able to find anyone that can tell me for sure what is causing it though.

If it's red-maples, then it's probably sun-scald.

White Gardens
08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
That's about how many of the burning bushes in our area look right now. About half of them in the area are still mostly green and the other half are already changing like the ones you show in your photo. I notice that every year. Some just turn sooner than others. I think it depends on how much sunlight they get. The ones that get more shade seem to turn later than those in full sun.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. They look fine.

I would agree Jim, but those maple trees aren't looking good either. If it were just the burning-bushes turning, then I would say you are correct. We get the same thing late in the summer when everything starts to get water and heat stress.

JimLewis
08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree. The maples are turning a little too early. But they do look healthy, though. The close-up photos of the leaves look like nice healthy leaves. Just turning color a little too soon.

Maybe there was a cold snap or something a few weeks ago and they thought it was turning into Autumn. I don't know.

But burning bushes are hardy as heck. We almost never lose one of those. They seem to survive about anything. I wouldn't be too concerned about them. The maples.... a little more concerned. But since they look fairly healthy other than the color I probably wouldn't worry too much. Just be sure the watering schedule is right and the ground is not hard pan. What else can you do?

White Gardens
08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
The first post was June 13th. They should have been thriving.

mrsops
08-17-2010, 06:42 PM
The first post was June 13th. They should have been thriving.

I agree you with 100% they should have been looking beautiful.

A little update the maples still look the same they haven't lost any leaves or anything there just red like the pictures.. The burning bushes haven't lost anything either but some of them did brown out.. My nursery guy has no idea whats going on and i dont either.

But what i did notice is when i did that job i took back an extra burning bush to my yard and planted it where i keep a stock of trees and plants. That plant as well turned red very early just like the rest.. And why haven't the other trees like the zelkovas and cherrys i planted on that job change? Something must be wrong with these maples and burning bushes

White Gardens
08-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Something must be wrong with these maples and burning bushes

I'd say do a soil analysis next.