PDA

View Full Version : Efflorescence Problem

Crusher Run
06-14-2010, 08:19 PM
I used Rockwood SRW to build a raised patio. Have a look, I think it's all coming from the caps. I first noticed it after all the snow melted in the spring. It looks like someone dumped milk on top of my wall. I am NOT Impressed.

I just bought more caps to finish the wall and they look pretty bad to start. I'm thinking of returning them. How can I get rid of this.

zedosix
06-14-2010, 08:42 PM
can be cleaned but what a pita it is. I would return them or get a rep involved. He should be able to help you.

Crusher Run
06-14-2010, 11:01 PM
How do you clean them? And if it's sort of "bleeding" Then wont more just reappear until all of the deposits are gone? Can I flush it out some how?

I will get a Rep. involved, but I know some of you guys might know more than the Rep.

zedosix
06-14-2010, 11:05 PM
How do you clean them? And if it's sort of "bleeding" Then wont more just reappear until all of the deposits are gone? Can I flush it out some how?

I will get a Rep. involved, but I know some of you guys might know more than the Rep.

I've had that issue many times with permacon and their solution was to pressure steam it with hot water. I know effloresence cleaner can remove some of it but you're right it will continue to bleed thru. You need to have your rep solve the problem by either replacing or washing them. Then you need to find a better product to sell to your customers. good luck

Crusher Run
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
The product is for my home, so I'll be the one to look at it all day.

zedosix
06-15-2010, 06:34 PM
The product is for my home, so I'll be the one to look at it all day.

Now you know how your customers will feel about having that product in their yard. Don't need to tell you any more about it do I!

Paver Gangster
06-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Right, as if a rep is going to go out and clean every time there is efflorescence. What planet does that happen?:rolleyes:

No manufacturer will guarantee against it, either, so the manufacturer has zero obligation in this instance. These stains can also be caused by hard water from sprinklers behind the wall, lime, and mulch as well as concrete adhesive.

Or, if the installer was a total dumbass, cement slurry that he used to supposedly adhere the caps to the top of the wall.

Slurry remover will get rid of it, just wait a year or two for all the efflo to fully develop because slurry remover will also expose aggregate on the face of the wall, so one cleaning is preferable to two.

Crusher Run
06-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Now you know how your customers will feel about having that product in their yard. Don't need to tell you any more about it do I!
Nope. I don't have a business to sell my services, but if I did, customer satisfaction would be number one.

I'm going to call and B*TCH anyway, for the price we pay for these products, they should be flawless!!

zedosix
06-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Right, as if a rep is going to go out and clean every time there is efflorescence. What planet does that happen?:rolleyes:

I've had serious issues with eff. in the past and I've had them come out more than once. On my planet they listen to me.:canadaflag:

Crusher Run
06-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I called them (Rockwood authorized batch plant) They told me that there was really no way to prevent it and it will go away eventually. I didn't complain like I do with Verizon or Comcast, so I didn't really get anywhere. I'm going to try to cycle it out with fresh water and sunlight.

zedosix
06-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I called them (Rockwood authorized batch plant) They told me that there was really no way to prevent it and it will go away eventually. I didn't complain like I do with Verizon or Comcast, so I didn't really get anywhere. I'm going to try to cycle it out with fresh water and sunlight.

that won't work, use an efflorescence cleaner and scrub brush. Tell them to go take a hike.

Crusher Run
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
that won't work, use an efflorescence cleaner and scrub brush. Tell them to go take a hike.
Are you sure? I've already started the process. I've got them laid out on grade stakes to keep them off the ground and I'm going to saturate them with distilled water, let the sun dry them out real good....rinse and repeat.

I will use a cleaner and a brush to get what comes the the surface, but after I lay these blocks, I do NOT want anymore to show up and stain the beautiful wall I've created.

2low4NH
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
you will get more for the next 2 years. its concrete its in its nature. the better the product the less residue

Crusher Run
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
What is weird is that the rockwood classic block has none and the caps are covered in it.