PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get rid of crab grass???

rvsuper
07-18-2002, 09:56 PM
My yard has a few spots of crabgrass this year....never really had it until this year. Neighbors say that it is hard to get rid of? What can I do besides using RoundUp to get rid of this stuff? I tried pulling it, but the roots don't come out. I don't know characteristics of this suff, but will it grow if its only the roots there?

wolfpacklawn
07-18-2002, 10:45 PM
I've seen a new product by Ortho that is specifically for killing crabgrass in lawns. I saw it at home depot. I haven't tried it but would if I had the need.

rvsuper
07-18-2002, 10:48 PM
whats it called?

rvsuper
07-18-2002, 10:51 PM
Went to the ortho site and found it.....looks like it should work. I HATE crabgrass!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

ipm
07-18-2002, 11:04 PM
MSMA will do the trick. MAke sure it is not ST.Aug or similar(centipede, etc.. Read the label.

masterpiece1
07-18-2002, 11:25 PM
We use the product "Drive" for postemergent crabgrass control in our fertlizing company. Works great!

KirbysLawn
07-19-2002, 12:14 AM
If you get on and use a good per-m program crabgrass is one of the easiest to control. I have not had crabgrass in my lawn in years.

If you have you license you can get Drive 75 or MSMA, with the temps we have had lately I would stick woth the Drive. Next year get you pre-m down and make sure you have good coverage (months) and you should be set.

jeffex
07-19-2002, 03:21 PM
the ortho works great but make sure and mix it exactly by the directions. More is not better

ExlawnPro
07-20-2002, 10:00 PM
The best thing that should have been is to apply Crab Grass Pre-Emergent in the spring. It is tough to get rid of during the hot season when it proliferates without damaging the surrounding "desirable" grass plants.

I would live with it until late spring/early fall and spray it and any other undesirable weeds/grasses with Round-Up, wait seven to ten days and renovate(power rake/core aeration/slicing) and seed these areas and any other areas that may have been damaged by disease/grubs/drought, etc.