PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Scenario

worx
06-15-2010, 08:56 AM
I will start marketing to a new area soon, but I'm not sure exactly how to approach it. I plan on setting up some demo's, and hopefully getting involved with a community project to create a buzz. What I have a question about is appealing to the mass of my target market. I would say around 80% of the homes 800k and above are summer homes around this lake area. Since they are second homes I am not sure how many actually use their lake home mailing address. I wanted to send several rounds of postcards to get the word out but how do I get the addresses to the actual lake properties?

Most of the home owners are from other areas and it would be impossible to search out each individual owner. Where would I go to find a listing for these addresses?

Thanks for the help,

RLI Electric
06-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Sometimes the town will have a website and you can see property owners that way, look under assessors information if it is there. Just a guess

David Gretzmier
06-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Many "summer folks" have thier property tax bill mailed to another address. That is a public record, although getting all of them as a datafile free will be tough. You could look them up and write it by hand, but I would go the paying route- A direct mail company can usually find those for a fee and you get them in a data format to use for direct mailing postcards.

Pro-Scapes
06-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Many "summer folks" have thier property tax bill mailed to another address. That is a public record, although getting all of them as a datafile free will be tough. You could look them up and write it by hand, but I would go the paying route- A direct mail company can usually find those for a fee and you get them in a data format to use for direct mailing postcards.

I think it is a mistake to mail it to the primary residence as it will no doubt cause some confusion. Are you going to say I want to light your second home in florida ? I would target the people later fall and early winter when they start flocking to the warmer weather and are excited about being out of the cold north and thinking about the outdoors.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Marketing directly to the primary address is exactly the way you want to go. Getting that info will be your challenge here. Most people who own recreational properties are passionate about their "summer home" communities. You will have not problem getting their attention and avoiding any confusion about where you are operating.

Also look to the magazines and newspapers that serve the seasonal residents in your new business area. These are often read with zeal by the seasonal home owners.

worx
06-16-2010, 07:43 AM
I figured getting these addresses would be alittle more difficult ( but definitely rewarding ). I may have to do the primary residence since some of the homes may not even have mail boxes set up....?

I do believe there is a magazine aimed at the local area, I will certainly look into it.

Any other ideas on how to reach part-timers....?

sprinklerchris
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I will start marketing to a new area soon, but I'm not sure exactly how to approach it. I plan on setting up some demo's, and hopefully getting involved with a community project to create a buzz. What I have a question about is appealing to the mass of my target market. I would say around 80% of the homes 800k and above are summer homes around this lake area. Since they are second homes I am not sure how many actually use their lake home mailing address. I wanted to send several rounds of postcards to get the word out but how do I get the addresses to the actual lake properties?

Most of the home owners are from other areas and it would be impossible to search out each individual owner. Where would I go to find a listing for these addresses?

Thanks for the help,

Try a mailing list brokerage firm. They can get you the list for the zip code, then pick them out from there.

Pro-Scapes
06-16-2010, 11:29 AM
many of these people also have the mail forwarded

TheGoat
06-16-2010, 04:08 PM
All property tax info is public record. You should be able to go to the county tax assessors web page and find the owner of record with only an address, and as stated earlier in this thread, that tax bill is always sent to the primary residence and that address will be in the info you can look up online

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Guys... who has time to go into the tax office and pull up the owner of record for each any every parcel of land in a municipality? That is just not going to work for a direct mail campaign. Nor is relying upon mailing list companies. These companies focus on lists of primary residences not second, third etc homes.

Getting the primary addresses of a community of summer homes is not easy. You generally have to join organizations that will share their data amongst their membership. Even then the data is spotty and incomplete.

I have some experience in this as I have been operating in a seasonal market for 12 years now. It is a real challenge.

TheGoat
06-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Guys... who has time to go into the tax office and pull up the owner of record for each any every parcel of land in a municipality? That is just not going to work for a direct mail campaign. Nor is relying upon mailing list companies. These companies focus on lists of primary residences not second, third etc homes.

Getting the primary addresses of a community of summer homes is not easy. You generally have to join organizations that will share their data amongst their membership. Even then the data is spotty and incomplete.

I have some experience in this as I have been operating in a seasonal market for 12 years now. It is a real challenge.

most tax info can be found online... and I guess the one who has the time for that is the one who gets the gig...

it takes very little time. Here's one for escambia county in NW Florida

http://www.escpa.org/CAMA/Search.aspx

input address, get owner info.

i tried 4350 bayou blvd

and got this...

http://www.escpa.org/cama/Detail_a.aspx?s=331S307101019001

RLI Electric
06-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I was thinking along the same lines of James in that these areas may have "cottage associations". Make contact with them and see who else is in them and let the elbow rubbing start. For that matter, now that I think about it, try the security companies that have their signs up. You can integrate with their systems and provide "security lighting, asesthetically".

sprinklerchris
06-16-2010, 04:56 PM

A good list brokerage will have a list of owners and addresses based off from those tax records that others talk about. THEY DO have time to go get that information from the public records and often buy it directly from the govt agencies.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
There are better ways. Bob is on the right track. Getting involved in established groups that already serve these clients and properties will not only get you the info you need but will also help to integrate your business into your new market and community.

Being more community minded is probably the best advice you can take. It might be old school, but most resort/tourism communities are small tightly knit places where old school still reigns supreme and is widely respected. Paying for lists that may be out of date, inaccurate, etc.... not so much.

extlights
06-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Billy is correct as most of those people forward their mail. If they pay taxes there (which they do) then they will be on a list. Send out a mailer and it will end up in the homeowners hands. Mosts list are based on an area or zip code, so it doesn't matter if that home is a primary or secondary home.

andyslawncare
06-17-2010, 10:01 PM
make friends with a realator. My dad is one, and I have him find me all kinds of info on houses. He searches based on neighborhood or street names.

Alan B
06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Going to through tax records is time consuming but it can pay off. At least it paid off big back when I was a young buck:laugh:.

I was just out of college (20 yrs ago), moved to the Jersey Shore just after a bad Nor' Easter had washed sand from the beach onto every property along the beach. These are Summer homes and in early Spring no owners were there, however all their yards were filled with a couple feet of sand. I was new to the area and going to work in Manhattan, but landscaping was in my blood (owned a landscape construction co through out HS and college) and I couldn't turn down the opportunity.

I decided to do sand removal. Every mailbox was filled with flyers. I went to town hall as mentioned and looked up each homeowners tax records and sent a flyer as well as placed a phone call (this was before the Internet was well developed so it was done more manually).

Long story short I literally practically owned beach and sand clean-up from Manasquan through Pt Pleasant that year and did the majority of all the clean-ups even though I had just moved there and didn't even have an established business at the time. Doing that extra steps of painful research work enabled me to beat the established co's. It was pretty profitable... after my first job which took 3 days I bought a $3500 4x4 with the profit and hired 3 laborers. I ended up profiting ~ 20K in 8 weeks. Not bad 20 yrs ago and when I was 21.

Yes there are co's that maybe able to get you the lists (and is likely be the best way to get there names). I just wanted to point out that if you have a HIGHLY target area (like $800K homes along a lake), it can pay off to do what others are not willing to do and get yourself in front of the targeted audience. Sometimes "Barriers to Entry" keep the competition out and make it more profitable for those who do the harder work to gain entry. Translation... the hard ones to contact are more profitable because everyone else doesn't bother with the extra effort.

Overall James suggestion makes more business sense-- outsource it. However if you want to bootstrap, nothing wrong with that either (who knows your info will likely be better quality than what you buy).

Personally I would try both. First do it the old fashion way and get 20 houses and see if its works/is efficient. Then try a pro co and ask them for 20 names to test to see if they are worth hiring for your whole service area. See which works better.

Good luck!

Alan