PDA

View Full Version : swollen gas containers...

stephen424
06-15-2010, 10:55 PM
i keep 2 plastic gas containers on my open trailer and they have been swellling up like balloons that last week or so (it's been 95+ here).
any solution?
i release the pressure out of them after every mow, in fear that they are going to explode

should i invest in tin cans?

lawnboy852
06-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Poke a pinhole in the bottom of the top handle part. Or install a relief valve. These gas cans are a mess now with no vent hole, they dont seem safer a all, but the pinhole trick should do it without causing any noticeable spillage

Glenn Lawn Care
06-15-2010, 11:35 PM
its just from the heat. try to keep them in the shade.

fredmullegun
06-15-2010, 11:45 PM
The heat increases the vapor pressure.

ZTR_Diesel
06-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Exactly why I can't stand these new CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified fuel cans! Leave thier issues & policial agendas for California! Sorry to anyone who lives there.

Why have they had to mess with so many well-proven things? Maybe we ought to just all sue CARB itself. ...This is sarcasim...

MikeKle
06-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Yeah, its from the heat, either leave the cap off or poke a hole in the rear of the can, it will also pour better with this hole too, But Im curious, if you left a can like this and let it swell up, would it eventually explode?

rain man
06-16-2010, 12:31 AM
We cut slits in the cap so that it doesn't seal as tightly. Sort of like the first cut when you are cutting a piece of pie. Keeps water out but gives it room to breath.

topsites
06-16-2010, 02:10 AM
I don't carry straight fuel out with me, no need.

ajslands
06-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Just take the caps off and put like duck tape over it so heat can get out.

And not to be an a$$ but it's expansion not swelling. Or you could drill a small hole in the back of the can. Or just fill your mowers up before you go out, then you don't need cans.
Posted via Mobile Device

FiveOJoe
06-16-2010, 06:22 AM
When you vent the tank, collapse it a little with your knee to push out some vapor and release the vent, (not so much that gas overflows). Then when it warms up it expands to normal size.

dgw
06-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Exactly why I can't stand these new CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified fuel cans! Leave thier issues & policial agendas for California! Sorry to anyone who lives there.

Why have they had to mess with so many well-proven things? Maybe we ought to just all sue CARB itself. ...This is sarcasim...

i hate their hippy gas cans and spark arrestors

dgw
06-16-2010, 06:31 AM

And not to be an a$$ but it's expansion not swelling. Or you could drill a small hole in the back of the can. Or just fill your mowers up before you go out, then you don't need cans.
Posted via Mobile Device

you have never used up all your gas mowing?

Danscapes
06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
I just bought one of those damn cans too, and they suck. They implode too, I left mine in my truck bed a couple nights and with the temperature change it collapsed in like a crushed beer can. These cans are no more safe than the old ones, its just another way for the EPA and bureaucrats to keep their money grubbing hands in your wallet.

ajslands
06-16-2010, 09:09 AM

I have an 8 gallon tank, if I use it up on one lawn then I'm doing something wrong! Now I do carry these tanks but they're in an enclosed trailer which is not in direct sunlight and gets vented while driving down the road. I go thru 8 gallons in about 2-3 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-16-2010, 09:17 AM

With full tanks my mowers will go ALL day and if you can outlast my mower
without TRYING to make it run out of fuel, my hat is off to you.

I'm talking you'd have to start my mower the morning of and LEAVE it running even on the trailer,
because otherwise, unless you plan on cutting from 9am to 5 or 6pm without taking a break,
I just don't see it running out and again if you're man enough to mow that long without stopping,
well hey you know what can I say but you can call me lazy.

I want to say I've ran out of straight fuel twice in 9 years although the number might be slightly
higher but it just doesn't happen that much, and both of those times I suspect I forgot to fill it
before I left so instead of doing one day's work I got through MOST of two day's worth before
on the LAST lawn of the second day it actually, yes, it ran out.

THAT is how long they will run on one full tank, my mowers are Toro belt T-bar 48" fixed deck 15hp Kohlers.
15-16 of my lawns I can usually mow with one, various sizes, I usually fill the tank every day.
Granted it depends on the size of the yard, I'll give you that, no it won't cut 14 full acre lots.

And what if I do run out, that's what gas stations are for, I can ALWAYS run up the road
and fill'er up, there is absolutely NO need for me to have straight fuel cans on board.
Also I've got a syphon kit, if there's another machine on my trailer that has fuel, it's not that hard to transfer it.

Last but not least I almost always have my back up mower with me so I can always swap machines as well.

Truth be known I've used 2-cycle fuel on one or two occasions to get me through that very last yard.

Just have to remember, never leave the house without the tanks being full.

MOturkey
06-16-2010, 09:27 AM
To answer the question, I just leave the screw cap slightly loose. Defeats the purpose of the sealed cans, but solves the problem of excessive expansion.

As for the reason for carrying extra fuel, my mowers will run all day with full tanks also, but sometimes it just isn't convenient to fill up, or is more convenient to simply dump a 5 gallon can in and keep mowing. Some of my properties are 15 miles from a gas station.

jnt412
06-16-2010, 11:22 AM
i keep 2 plastic gas containers on my open trailer and they have been swellling up like balloons that last week or so (it's been 95+ here).
any solution?
i release the pressure out of them after every mow, in fear that they are going to explode

When you release the pressure, you bascially remove the small cap from the pinhole.. correct?. Most plastic cans have this and when you remove the cap the pressure can be heard escaping. I usually leave this cap off during hot weather. Never had a problem with rain getting in or spillage..

Grubrunner
06-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Drill a pin hole thru the cap.

Works like a charm

mnglocker
06-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Duct tape doesn't mix with petrolium. It'll goop up and wreck your fuel.

Just use your gas faster, the VOC of fuel is changed weekly for tempature trends. In other words, don't buy more than you'll use in 2 days.

Hawg City Lawns
06-16-2010, 03:38 PM
But Im curious, if you left a can like this and let it swell up, would it eventually explode?

not that i know of i leave one 5 gallon and one 2 gallon in the back of the truck when im mowing and when i was out on saturday the 5 gallon must have shot the cap off because i never found it

also have you ever noticed your mixed gas can doesnt swell up as bad?

Mark Oomkes
06-16-2010, 04:29 PM
And not to be an a$$ but it's expansion not swelling.

Try harder.

Or you could drill a small hole in the back of the can. Or just fill your mowers up before you go out, then you don't need cans.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you ever think before you post some of this stuff? Isn't having extra gas like insurance? Do you really want to stop mowing, load up what is off the trailer, strap it down, run to the gas station, fill up, run back, fill the mower up and continue? How much time is that wasted instead of carrying a gas can?

I have an 8 gallon tank, if I use it up on one lawn then I'm doing something wrong!

Who mows only one lawn?

What if that one lawn is 100 acres?

Now I do carry these tanks but they're in an enclosed trailer which is not in direct sunlight and gets vented while driving down the road. I go thru 8 gallons in about 2-3 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

You don't mow much, do you? 8 gallons in 2-3 days?

To answer the question, I just leave the screw cap slightly loose. Defeats the purpose of the sealed cans, but solves the problem of excessive expansion.

As for the reason for carrying extra fuel, my mowers will run all day with full tanks also, but sometimes it just isn't convenient to fill up, or is more convenient to simply dump a 5 gallon can in and keep mowing. Some of my properties are 15 miles from a gas station.

Thank you for showing some common sense in this thread.

Sure, 95% of the time my WB will make it all day on a tank of fuel, but for the amount of time wasted during that 5%, a gas can is the only intelligent thing to do.

FWIW, some of this crap was mandated by OSHA, not just CARB. Not sure how gas blowing out the cap from expansion is safer than having it vent. Nothing like gas in the eyes or mouth, never could figure that out.

fredmullegun
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Only the vapor will expand so if you have room in your tank on the mower, top it off if you can empty the can. If not then fill the gas can all the way up.

Venting it is just silly, it will not explode if it is a good container.

yardatwork
06-16-2010, 04:39 PM
New gas can suck...I hate them!

Richard Martin
06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
And what if I do run out, that's what gas stations are for, I can ALWAYS run up the road
and fill'er up, there is absolutely NO need for me to have straight fuel cans on board.

So you're saying that you buy gas every day? It takes me every bit of 15 minutes to complete a gas purchase. You're making a trip to the gas station ($$) 5 days a week and wasting at least 1 hour and 15 minutes when you could just buy a couple of gas cans and be done with it for the entire week.

dgw
06-16-2010, 07:37 PM
yes i can burn through 8 gallons in a day

the gravely pics i posted just now, that whole property cost my 13 gallons

so settle down, i am man enough:laugh::laugh::laugh:

topsites
06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
So you're saying that you buy gas every day? It takes me every bit of 15 minutes to complete a gas purchase. You're making a trip to the gas station ($$) 5 days a week and wasting at least 1 hour and 15 minutes when you could just buy a couple of gas cans and be done with it for the entire week.

See the fifth post down this page for how I do fuel:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262075&page=2

Notice that the cans are in the shade.
They don't leave the home, matter of fact they stay in the shade.

topsites
06-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I see it this way...

That picture right there shows a fuel capacity of 22 gallons.
The Two Wb's that you can't see hold another 9 combined.
The truck holds 30, the cars 13 each, the stump grinder another 5.
Then there's all the smaller straight fuel equipment, probably 4-5 gallons combined.

I'm up to a total fuel capacity of almost 100 gallons, that is how much
gasoline would fit in ALL of my chit IF everything was full of gas.

So the only thing I have to make sure of is that it doesn't ALL run out on me at the same time.

To fuel that Ztr at a station takes 5 minutes at the most.
I don't even go inside, just pull in, swipe the card, 12 gallons and thank you.
Not quite, it's never totally on E.

But that's all I do.

bahamamills
06-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Geeze emotions flowing here. So even if you leave your straight fuel at home a weed-eater or blower requires mixed fuel which has the same issue with gas tanks. Gas tanks do suck which was what this thread was about.

swandrie
06-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Im with topsite no need to carry stright gas!!! I fill up every night after mowing! I could go 2 days without filling up!!! but the prices change so much I get it every night!!!

MikeKle
06-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I carry a small 2 gallon can of regular just in case something does run out, and i use it for the one yard i use a 21' on, and of course I carry a 2 gallon can for the 2 stroke mix, I fill the mowers straight from the pump and fill them fully, they will usually only last me about 1.5 to 2 days though, but I mow alot of grass too!

ricky86
06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't think any of the "No Spill" cans are D.O.T. approved. Which means, they aren't rated for fuel transport.

GreenGuysLC
06-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Only the vapor will expand so if you have room in your tank on the mower, top it off if you can empty the can. If not then fill the gas can all the way up.

Venting it is just silly, it will not explode if it is a good container.

Venting is silly??? lol I cant waste 5 minutes dumping the 5 gal container. drill a small vent hole in the handle. Speeds up the emptying process if nothing else! I Fuel up when my truck needs fuel and no other time. Fuel stops cost me time! My 2000 F-450 Landscaper runs on diesel. Exmark has approx 8 gallons, walker has 4, I keep 10 gallons extra onboard, plus 5 gallons of mix. When I stop for diesel I top all tanks off but will still empty my 10 gal reserves inbetween stops.

ajslands
06-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Ok here's whacha do, take the caps off your cans and put a empty eater bottleoveer it, that way it can vent. But don't pu a full water bottle over it!
Posted via Mobile Device

alanauer
07-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I hesitate to contradict people who know more than I on other matters, but to put it simply, EVERYTHING expands when hotter.

Metals? You've seen this if you've heated a bearing to get it off.

And liquids are much more heat-expanding than metals. That's why a gas pump may have a sign stating the temperature at which it was calibrated, or a placard on an oil reservoir says "LEAVE TWO INCHES HEADSPACE." Liquids don't contract under compression (the principle behind hydraulics) so when expanding they insist on getting more room. Fill a metal container with gas, let it get hot, and expect the container to fail.

Gases expand much more than liquids but are very compressible. So if you don't want to risk leaks by poking holes in a sealed container or leaving the cap loose, just don't fill it too high and open carefully.

jvanvliet
07-14-2010, 05:45 PM
My cans are vented... I just leave the vent open on the hot days... close them when there is a chance of rain.

Sammy
07-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Now I do carry these tanks but they're in an enclosed trailer which is not in direct sunlight and gets vented while driving down the road.

A rolling bomb ! ... I think there is a law against that.

knox gsl
07-15-2010, 01:06 AM
I carry a 1 gallon can of straight for my 21 and my ZTR and WB will go 2 days on fill-up. Also carry a 5 gallon for mix but only put in 2.5 gallons at a time so it won't spill thru my vent hole. I have found my little yellow cap 20 feet from my trailer but has long been lost off my 1 gallon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
07-15-2010, 01:55 AM
I've had the same issue with my gas cans. I actually let them expand on purpose. When my mower needs gas I'll turn the can upside down and insert the nozzle into the mower's tank, THEN I'll press the fuel release button. That fuel comes out fast because of the built up pressure.
I doubt there's enough pressure to make them explode. If they do, and there's damages--you can sue.

Stillwater
07-15-2010, 02:43 AM
any solution?

the solution is to ingnore it, should you buy tin cans? No

fredmullegun
07-15-2010, 02:52 AM
Venting is silly??? lol I cant waste 5 minutes dumping the 5 gal container. drill a small vent hole in the handle. Speeds up the emptying process if nothing else! I Fuel up when my truck needs fuel and no other time. Fuel stops cost me time! My 2000 F-450 Landscaper runs on diesel. Exmark has approx 8 gallons, walker has 4, I keep 10 gallons extra onboard, plus 5 gallons of mix. When I stop for diesel I top all tanks off but will still empty my 10 gal reserves inbetween stops.

Is this thread a place to post your life story? No it is about some guy being scared that his gas cans are larger when it gets hot.

shooterm
07-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Do they still make the miltary style of gas cans with attached downspouts, "donkeydinks"?.

Stillwater
07-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Do they still make the miltary style of gas cans with attached downspouts, "donkeydinks"?.

Their called jerry cans and oh yes they make them and their also cool racks made to hold them.