PDA

View Full Version : Blade sharping

lone wolf
06-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Asking if anyone on here has bought a blade sharping machine. I shapen my by hard, but after doing them for a while I know I am losing my angle.

Thinking of buying 1, but don't know if they work or not.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-16-2010, 12:44 AM
how do you sharpen them by hand? just curious.

turftracerhp
06-16-2010, 12:51 AM
get an rbg 2181p.also get a magnamatic balancer.this is an awsome set up.i think so anyway.

Robert Pruitt
06-16-2010, 01:38 AM
i try to keep the angle in the same plane as the sail. using a 6 in. belt sander.

topsites
06-16-2010, 03:06 AM
I have an Oregon 12" 1.5 hp grinder, the angle is pre-set and can be adjusted.

Only two PITA's is that dang grinding wheel going out of round, so in addition
to the grinder you'll need a wheel dresser, they're like $20 or so for a good one.
Then the dust is a bit disturbing, however a vacuum system specifically made for this purpose is prohibitively costly.

lone wolf
06-16-2010, 07:49 AM
How much should I expect to pay for 1?

I am using a 4 1/2" hand grinder now.

I heard from my dealer that the reason that I am having issues with grass not getting chopped up a little finer was that I lost the factory angle. So I thought I would look into getting a machine.

Magna-Matic
06-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Hello,

Please take a look at our equipment www.magna-matic.com

If you review some of the posts at our forum here at lawnsite.com you'll read many many testimonials about how well our equipment maintains consistent angles, and sharpens within 1-2 min without burning the blade.

Forum Link
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=37

As mentioned above we are known worldwide by our balancing instruments, we invented the lawn mower blade balancer in 1958.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic
06-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Hello,

One item to note that many people look past is consistency of the angle produced. RBG style units (including Oregon, who copied RBG's design) cannot provide a consistent angle.

As a grinding wheel wears (becomes smaller in diameter) the angle that you are sharpening on the blade changes.

To get back to a consistent angle after wheel wear the wheel must be adjusted downward. Due to the design of the RBG, Oregon, Neary, Foley, Lesco, etc you need a template (new) blade to set the grinding wheel at the correct height. This is time consuming to hold a template blade in the machine, loosen the adjustment wingnuts, crank the adjustment down, re-tighten the adjustment wingnuts to hold the wheel where you set it, then finally start grinding again.

All Magna-Matic sharpeners have one simple crank on the top of the unit. The operator lowers the grinding wheel down to the worktable. Then starts sharpening.

Our adjustment design sets the machine at 30 degrees regardless of grinding wheel diameter, so the operator only has to keep lowering the wheel to the worktable and all the blades will be consistent.

Please ask if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Glenn Lawn Care
06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm looking at getting a magna matic.

topsites
06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
This is time consuming to hold a template blade in the machine, loosen the adjustment wingnuts, crank the adjustment down, re-tighten the adjustment wingnuts to hold the wheel where you set it, then finally start grinding again.

All Magna-Matic sharpeners have one simple crank on the top of the unit. The operator lowers the grinding wheel down to the worktable. Then starts sharpening.

Give me a break with this improvement, that's a far cry from maintaining the angle, you did say NONE of the other grinders
can maintain the angle as the wheel wears, well unless you adjust them neither can yours?

lazer 46
06-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not familiar with any sharpeners except the Magnamatic and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the best piece of equipment I have ever bought. Period.

dwost
06-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Magna-matic all the way! Absolutely love mine.

Patriot Lawn and Landscap
06-16-2010, 05:58 PM
When I use the bench grinder that I have to sharpen blades whether I sharpen the normal or upside down I find that a little bit of metal peels to the bottom side of the blade, So I have to lightly touch up/sharpen the bottom of the blades which from what I am told is a bad thing but I have no choice. Do other people have this problem with bench grinders. Is this something that is somehow avoidable when you purchase the magna-matic device

lazer 46
06-16-2010, 06:05 PM
When I use the bench grinder that I have to sharpen blades whether I sharpen the normal or upside down I find that a little bit of metal peels to the bottom side of the blade, So I have to lightly touch up/sharpen the bottom of the blades which from what I am told is a bad thing but I have no choice. Do other people have this problem with bench grinders. Is this something that is somehow avoidable when you purchase the magna-matic device

The only time I touch the underside of the blade is when there is a burr on it before I sharpen it. This keeps the blade from sliding smoothly on the table. I use a flat file to take it off. Other wise the Mag works flawlessly to keep the correct angle and put a nice edge on the blade. And I've owned the Mag for over 5 years.

Magna-Matic
06-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Hello All,

I'll explain this again, since it must not have been clear. I said that all grinding wheels must be adjusted due to the diameter changing due to wear. So yes, both Magna-Matic and the others must be adjusted as the grinding wheel wears and decreases in diameter.

Here is the difference:

Magna-Matic

Single crank that has no secondary wingnuts/bolts to tighten to keep the adjustment to where you moved it.
ANGLE REFERENCE POINT: By lowering the grinding wheel on a MAG-9000 or MAG-8000 to the edge of the work table the sharpener is SET TO 30 DEGREES AT ANY WHEEL DIAMETER.

All Others:

Single crank that must be adjusted
Then 2 wingnuts/nuts must be tighten to hold the adjustment where you moved it to.
Vertical adjustment of has no point of reference or baseline to tell what angle you are cutting at. This is why I mentioned that that operator needs a new blade or template to set the angle, because the angle is unknown on the other sharpeners.

When an adjustment must be made on a RBG style sharpener, the operator must do the following:

Loosen the two wingnuts/nuts
Turn the crank to the new position
To find the 30 degree position at the new wheel diameter, a new blade must be set under the wheel to find 30 degrees
Hold the crank at the wheel height you found 30 degrees.
Tighten the two wingnuts/nuts, while holding the crank.
Begin sharpening the next blade.

When an adjustment must be made on a Magna-Matic sharpener, the operator must do the following:

Turn the crank lowering the wheel to the edge of the worktable (which is 30 degrees regardless of wheel diameter.)
Begin sharpening next blade.

So again to be clear, all sharpeners require wheel adjustment, BUT only Magna-Matic Sharpeners can be quickly and easily adjusted to 30 degrees without secondary wrenches, wingnuts, template blades, or angle measuring devices.

This is simply one of the advantages of our equipment, but please feel free to ask again if I have not explained the difference clearly.

Thank you,

dwost
06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Gerd knows his s#$t, he has a great product.

Magna-Matic
06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Hello Patriot,

Regarding the underside burr that is occuring:
This can happen for two reasons in general that I can comment on without seeing the conditions and details.

1. Free hand sharpening without any guides is inconsistent, and depending how you are holding the blade during sharpening you maybe applying a lot of pressure right at the edge which may cause a large burr.

2. In cases of very heavy sharpeneing required on blades that have varying angles on their edge face, a tremendous amount of material must be removed and this can create a burr on Magna-Matic sharpeners or any grinding/sanding application also. But under normal re-sharpening conditions a burr rarely occurs on Magna-Matic sharpeners, as Lazer46 mentioned.

The fastest and safest solution for a fine edge burr is going over it once with a hand file.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic
06-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Hello dwost

Thank you dwost, but I have to admit its our engineers that make it all possible. We are a company driven by engineering and productive design.

Just a fun fact for some of you. Magna-Matic 52 years old this year, the company was started by my grandfather AJ Karrels, who is the inventor and original patent holder of the lawn mower blade balancer.

If you'd like to read more we have a history section to our website started, but its not complete yet.

http://www.magna-matic.com/page/magna-matic-corporation-company-history

Thank you,

Patriot Lawn and Landscap
06-16-2010, 08:24 PM
magna,

thanks for the info. does your company have any head quarters or travel to any lawn and garden expos where your machine can be tried out 1st? its a purchase I would def be interested in but thats a lot of bucks to throw out there without knowing how much of a difference there is between a 200 dollar machine and a 1200 machine... I live in Northern Virginia let me know if you got any suggestions.

unit28
06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Gerd, I don't own one of your products but
I'll be checking into one of those sharpeners soon.
My mower deck is giving off some bad vibes.

I just wanted to say thanks for posting.

lone wolf
06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
what is the difference in the 8000 and the 9000?

we are doing 10 blades 2-3 times a week.

are the machines easy to operate?

Two Seasons
06-16-2010, 10:20 PM
what is the difference in the 8000 and the 9000?

we are doing 10 blades 2-3 times a week.

are the machines easy to operate?

We own the Mag-8000. Does mulching blades too, although we only do a small amount for resi customers mostly.

Yes, very easy to operate.

If I had to sell all my lawn equipment, I would do it, but not sell the Magna-Matic setup we have. We also bought the stand---Magna-Matic equipment is a good investment and helps to make our mowing stand out from the crowd!

Riley24
06-16-2010, 10:47 PM
magna matic is awesome!

J & D Greens
06-17-2010, 12:53 AM
i try to keep the angle in the same plane as the sail. using a 6 in. belt sander.

I have been doing mine the same way. (a belt /disc. sander with the belt set vertical) It is easy to sharpen the whole end of the blade evenly, just have to have some water ready for when you feel the blade start to heat up so you can keep it cool. Don't want to loose the temper in the steal or it won't hold the edge long out there.

Magna-Matic
06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Hello Patriot,

Our headquarters is located in Wisconsin, about an hour north of Milwaukee WI. We will be offering factory classes in the fall after our new building addition is finished. We're planning on adding a classroom / demo area to offer a day long class on proper lawn mower blade service and demonstration and training on our equipment. We have some preliminary info up on our site now about it.

http://www.magna-matic.com/page/factory-training-classes

Regarding planned trade shows, we're not doing many this year due to the construction this year etc. Here is the trade show info

http://www.magna-matic.com/page/expos-tradeshow-schedules

We'll be demonstrating at the GIE + EXPO 2010 in Louisville KY. I highly recommend this show to all of you because it is one of the few shows that the actual manufacturers attend. Many regional shows will just send dealers to exhibit for a specific brand, but at GIE + EXPO you get contact with the company making the equipment. We've been attending the GIE + EXPO in KY for almost 20 years now.

Thank you,

bigstumpyd
06-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Where can I buy one they sound like they work great? Will it correct the angle of an old blade that has been sharpened by an angle grinder?

bigstumpyd
06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
where can I buy one? Will it correct a blade that has been sharpened at an incorrect angle?

dwost
06-17-2010, 06:38 PM
directly from the mfg www.magnamatic.com

Yes, it will correct blades that have been nicked as well as sharpened improperly at the wrong angle.

Oldtimer
06-20-2010, 01:14 AM
If anyone wants a used Magna-Matic I will make them a deal. I hope someone can get some use out of it because my mechanics hate it and will not use it. I'm sure it is ok for a solo LCO but it isn't powerful enough for a shop. I think I paid about $1500.00.

Send me a PM.

Oldtimer

NORTHMAN
06-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Will the Mag-9000 sharpen Gator type blades?Thanks.

dwost
06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Will the Mag-9000 sharpen Gator type blades?Thanks.

Yes, the only thing it won't sharpen is wavy mulch blades. Need the 8000 for that.

NORTHMAN
06-20-2010, 11:07 AM
dwost,thank you.Theres a dealer on e-bay who sells them,any idea on their reputation?Thanks again.

dwost
06-20-2010, 11:12 AM
No idea I ordered mine direct.
Posted via Mobile Device

lone wolf
06-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Thinking of getting the 9000, the balance and stand package. Am I right in knowing that we only use straight blades and don't mulch that we don't need the 8000?

lazer 46
06-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Thinking of getting the 9000, the balance and stand package. Am I right in knowing that we only use straight blades and don't mulch that we don't need the 8000?

that's correct

Magna-Matic
06-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Hello All,

Yes gator blades are no problem, and it can correct blades that have been done at an alternate angle.

I'm confused by Oldtimer's post, again we don't have a $1500 sharpener and our machines are used by some of the largest landscapers in the USA, multi-million dollar companies. Power has never been a complaint, and we have a 30 day money back guarentee, so if you found the equipment unsatisfactory we would have taken it back without question.

I will mention, that if the instructions are not read, and people attempt to use our sharpeners like a bench grinder you will get unfavorable results. In the rare cases when we get returns the cause is due to employees of landscape companies that refuse to learn something new.

Thank you,

NORTHMAN
06-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Thank you Mr. Bauer.

GreenEdge1
03-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi All
Ive been in the business for 14 years now and as we all know having a sharp blade is the Key to a successful company! But I have gotten tired of having to remove the blade every time it needs to be sharpened, so I'm developing a portable sharpener that attaches to the side of a lawn mower. Ill spare you with all the details but initial testing ,with our proof of concept prototype, last summer shows a great potential for this tool. I have been working on developing this technology for the past 4 years while obtaining an engineering degree at a Canadian University. So far I've won a business competition with this idea and have been published in a national news paper" Globe and Mail". I have a link to the article on my website if anyone cares to learn more about what I'm doing: www.greenedge-lawncare.com and its the "A.C.E. project" tab that you need to click. I was hoping that as fellow lawn care providers you could give me your thoughts on this idea and how you all are currently sharping your blades. Specifically

I would like to get some feed back on what METHOD, FREQUENCY AND TIME SPENT on sharpening the blades.

Thanks a million guys I'm doing this to help us all save time and money while increasing the quality of work we can provide to our clients!
www.greenedge-lawncare.com

GreenEdge1
03-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi All
Ive been in the business for 14 years now and as we all know having a sharp blade is the Key to a successful company! But I have gotten tired of having to remove the blade every time it needs to be sharpened, so im developing a portable sharpener that attaches to the side of a lawn mower. Ill spare you with all the details but initial testing ,with our proof of concept prototype, last summer shows a great potential for this tool. I have been working on developing this technology for the past 4 years while obtaining an engineering degree at a Canadian University. So far ive won a business competition with this idea and have been published in a national news paper" Globe and Mail". I have a link to the article on my website if anyone cares to learn more about what im doing: www.greenedge-lawncare.com and its the "A.C.E. project" tab that you need to click. I was hoping that as fellow lawn care providers you could give me your thoughts on this idea and how you all are currently sharpening your blades. Specifically

I would like to get some feed back on what METHOD, FREQUENCY AND TIME SPENT on sharpening the blades.

Thanks a million guys Im doing this to help us all save time and money while increasing the quality of work we can provide to our clients!

jsslawncare
03-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Lone Wolf, I wished you lived closer. We could go together and buy a blade sharpener.

03-04-2011, 09:50 PM
If anyone wants a used Magna-Matic I will make them a deal. I hope someone can get some use out of it because my mechanics hate it and will not use it. I'm sure it is ok for a solo LCO but it isn't powerful enough for a shop. I think I paid about $1500.00.

Send me a PM.

Oldtimer

Have tried to pm you it will not go through, call email me at rgyeates@bellsouth.net