PDA

View Full Version : duramax?

sqvick
06-16-2010, 12:47 AM
im currently running a chevy 1500 4x4 i am wanting to get into snow removal and to buy a dump trailer. i have found a 2004 chevy 3500 dually reg cab long bed. i was wondering what ur thoughts are? it is a duramax lly automatic! is a dually good for plowing? pros cons THX!!!! :usflag:

ZTR_Diesel
06-16-2010, 01:47 AM
im currently running a chevy 1500 4x4 i am wanting to get into snow removal and to buy a dump trailer. i have found a 2004 chevy 3500 dually reg cab long bed. i was wondering what ur thoughts are? it is a duramax lly automatic! is a dually good for plowing? pros cons THX!!!! :usflag:

The question here is: Is a dually good for plowing?

Well - yes it is - and No it's not, at the same time.

You'll have much more ground contact area which may, in fact, give you a little better gumption (assuming you have fitted 6 of the correct tires to the truck) as you push snow.

But No - it's also going to make driving to the plow sites much more of an adventure, for the same reason - ground contact area. Ever notice that true "northerners" use tall, narrow tires on thier 4wds in the winter? That's because they know that wide tires increase contact area and tend to "float" on the snow, causing drift, leading to a neat sense of lack of control. to avoid this, a tire design that "cuts" through the snow works out much better.

So if you do consider it, make sure you spec the right tires (and they will be expensive so be forewarned. Then practice driving in the snow quite a bit as it's going to handle quite a bit differently than your 1500 will.

Aside from that - sounds like a nice truck. Have a Pre-Purchase inspection done on it.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-16-2010, 09:30 AM
first of all what will you be plowing? residential drives or lots?

sqvick
06-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Both!
Posted via Mobile Device

JBNC
06-16-2010, 12:52 PM
that dually is going to be a hell of a lot more difficult to maneuver. i've never plowed as we don't get much snow but i if i did i would think a 2500 Regular cab short bed Duramax would be the ticket.

jimmyjack
06-16-2010, 08:12 PM
that dually is going to be a hell of a lot more difficult to maneuver. i've never plowed as we don't get much snow but i if i did i would think a 2500 Regular cab short bed Duramax would be the ticket.

that would be nice .......to bad they dont make that truck:hammerhead:

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-16-2010, 09:20 PM
ive done residential driveways with our 1 ton chevy dump. we put 235/85/r16 bfg all terrains in the back and about 2.25 tons of #57 in the dump up against the tailgate with a homemade bulkhead.

the truck pushes a blizzard 810 power plow and will do alot of work. when my bro used to sub with that truck he would get sent out to a lot by himself b/c he could do the work of 3 p/u with straight blades.

anyways, ive seen a guy around here that uses a crew cab long bed dually duramax to plow resis.

anything can be done, and if your looking for something to work well enough in many situations, it wont work great in any one situation.

jwsland
06-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Anything can be done, just might be a little tricky manuevering around.

Do you really need a dually? I could have gotten one last month for a little less than what I ended up buying. I didn't think I really needed one. Single rear wheels can tow quite a bit and buying tires isn't fun. But I will say a 4door, long bed, diesel powered dually is a moderen art master piece.

JBNC
06-17-2010, 02:32 AM
that would be nice .......to bad they dont make that truck:hammerhead:

anythings possible :rolleyes:

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/images/garage/attach/3/4/garage_vehicle-16-12227240001_thumb.jpg

but yeah, thanks for correcting me

ZTR_Diesel
06-19-2010, 02:03 AM
Actually, in other countries, Ford (and maybe GM, I'm not familiar with it so I cannot say) offers the F250 in a regular cab-short and long box form with a 4-cylinder B3.9L Cummins diesel. Just looked again and it looks like the long-box is all now (oops). It's a neat package, would probably make a nice truck here too...but we American's have to have a V8, in Ford's opinion.

Here it is (can you read Portugese?)

http://www.ford.com.br/showroom.asp (look under the "performance" tab to see the engine.

rcslawncare
06-21-2010, 07:34 PM
anythings possible :rolleyes:

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/images/garage/attach/3/4/garage_vehicle-16-12227240001_thumb.jpg

but yeah, thanks for correcting me

Yea, that trucks bad!!

hosejockey2002
06-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Interesting way they spec those trucks over there in Portugal. Around 200 hp/400 torque (just guessing on the torque), not the tire burning specs of our monster diesels in the US, but enough power to get the job done, and probably completely adequate as long as you don't view your truck as a compensatory mechanism for whatever else you may be, um, lacking (you guys know who you are). GVWRs are slightly lower, not sure why. The trucks themselves are probably lighter, with smaller engines and less restrictive crash standards. I would gladly trade my 6.0 gas guzzler V8 for a lower powered economical diesel, but a new DPF, urea injected diesel money pit that you have to remove the emission equipment to make it run right? No thanks.

dhunterd08
06-27-2010, 05:18 AM
naaah just get a powerstroke and you will be fine, and I am an expert since we get a lot of snow in TN ha ha ha