PDA

View Full Version : Favorite hydro walk behind for hill work?

FastMan
06-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Looking for your opinions on which hydro walk behind you like best on serious hills. Most interested in hearing from people who have experience using various makes & models.

topsites
06-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Well I don't have a hydro Walk behind, I use either the gear drives or the Z.

GKchris311
06-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Ferris comfort control dd. I take my velke off when I'm on seriously steep hills, but no need to anywhere else. I have the 25 hp model and if you want it for hill use that's what I would recomend.

FastMan
06-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Well I don't have a hydro Walk behind, I use either the gear drives or the Z.

No Z would survive on the hills I'm mowing.

I had a gear drive exmark metro. It handled the hills very well, minus the shortcomings of gear drive to hydro. I switched out to a Toro hydro with split T controls this season. The hydro is great, but the machine does not hold or maneuver on the steep stuff as well as the metro did. Front wants to lift on me so easy when going straight up, even after adding a weight kit, I have to push strongly on the bar to keep the deck on the ground. Doesn't hold as well when side hilling, wants to slip sideways. Even the slightest angle downhill it loses the ability to steer and wants to free fall. I love the Toro on normal terrain, but truly steep hills is not where is shines.

I demo'd a scag V-Pro hydro last summer. It didn't suffer from the Toro's quirks. Wondering how the Exmark turf tracer would be stack up against the others.

FastMan
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Ferris comfort control dd. I take my velke off when I'm on seriously steep hills, but no need to anywhere else. I have the 25 hp model and if you want it for hill use that's what I would recomend.

No nearby ferris dealers here.

Exmark#1
06-16-2010, 05:20 PM
The Hustler trimstar is what you need. I have a 17 kaw and a 48 inch deck and it will stick to anything i put it on. In my opinion it is just one heck of a machine. The controls are the easiest out there and are extremely smooth.

R & R Yard Designs
06-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Ferris 52 inch dual drive. That is the BEST mower for any hill. I can take any grade hill with ease
Posted via Mobile Device

FastMan
06-16-2010, 09:34 PM
The Hustler trimstar is what you need. I have a 17 kaw and a 48 inch deck and it will stick to anything i put it on. In my opinion it is just one heck of a machine. The controls are the easiest out there and are extremely smooth.

I think I'll demo one. I see exmark in your screen name. Have you compared the trimstar to the turf tracer? Any idea on the retail price of your 48 inch trimstar?

93Chevy
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM
I run hills at my day job so steep with a Viking, or Turf Tracer, depending on who else is running what machine, that I can hardly walk up. Keep your cool, don't get cocky, be careful, and you can mow anything with those mowers.

BadRancher
06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
My TurfTrace does good, but if its semi wet with bare spots on soil you will slide.... Thats probably with any mower though. My metro will walk the walk and talk the talk though.

rmslawns
06-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I will second that of exmark#1. I also have a hustler trimstar hydro...48" 17 hp kawasaki. I have a big hill at a commercial property that would be too steep for a ztr. It sticks to the hill everytime. It is a 2009 model I bought new last year for 4,000. Controls are simple. Maintenance is simple. I think the new trimstars may be more in the 5,000 range. Call around to some dealers.

rmslawns
06-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Talk to Mohustler on here. He is a dealer and could give you some good info on pricing I would think.

tacoma200
06-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Not bragging but I am mowing hills with my ZTR that are hard to stand up on. I have to air my tires up to 20 psi to keep them off the frame and still no sign of tipping over. I almost bought a Turf Tracer last year but I am doing the hills that I was going to use it on with the Turf Tiger. It is just amazing going up or across a slope (not down). No other LCO will take these jobs. I use a Toro front drive recycler for just a few area's that I have to hang on to something to turn around. I would not put an employee on the slopes I run.

FastMan
06-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Tacoma, did you demo the Turf Tracer you were thinking of getting? Be careful out there my friend.

93Chevy
06-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Not bragging but I am mowing hills with my ZTR that are hard to stand up on. I have to air my tires up to 20 psi to keep them off the frame and still no sign of tipping over. I almost bought a Turf Tracer last year but I am doing the hills that I was going to use it on with the Turf Tiger. It is just amazing going up or across a slope (not down). No other LCO will take these jobs. I use a Toro front drive recycler for just a few area's that I have to hang on to something to turn around. I would not put an employee on the slopes I run.

I'm not worried about tipping...I'm more worried if the grass isn't thick enough and the back end loses traction for 1 second...that can be the difference between making it across the slope, or finding your way to the bottom real fast.

delphied
06-17-2010, 07:36 AM
I had a TTHP mostly for hills. I didnt like it much. I bought a Toro Grandstand and can tell you that while not perfect, it is far better than the Turf Tracer. As long as you are on the platform of the Grandstand it has traction. If it is wet, you can get slippage but it will still move. I dont think any machine is perfect but you learn how to use the machine you buy. The more I use the Grandstand on hills the better I get. No machine performs the same on a hill as it does on the flats.

Exmark#1
06-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey fastman. I would have to agree they are somewhere in the 5ks new. But ya talk to some dealers around you and see what they have. And like the other guy said talk to MOhustler he is a dealer near me and he sounds like he know quite a bit of stuff. For comparing them to exmark tthp i have never ran a tthp before therefore i can say if the are better or not. But i have demoed a new vantage and that mower would not stick to many of the hills i was mowing with my trimstar. Needless to say i didnt trade the trimstar for the vantage just because it would not hold to hills like i wanted it to.

karlgrooms
06-17-2010, 12:35 PM
No nearby ferris dealers here.
Sorry to hear.. For others that might be checking.
My Ferris 48dd does an amazing job across on those long runs across the slopes here. The front end does want to come up some when going up.

FerrisDJB
07-11-2010, 12:36 AM
The only machine I've tried so far, on really steep hills is a Ferris 36 SD Hydro fixed deck. I had to add 30 lbs. up front to keep her from lifting on the very steep portions but other than that this machine does very well. This particular property is a 3:1 grade...quite steep. I cut 45s twice then switch off to straight up-down twice...This keeps the machine tracking to a minimum. Best advice for hills.....walkers and hydros only, alternate direction of cut and take your time

FastMan
07-11-2010, 01:13 AM
I ended up getting a hustler trimstar. Very pleased with it.

tacoma200
07-11-2010, 01:23 AM
I ended up getting a hustler trimstar. Very pleased with it.

Give us a detailed review! That's one model I know nothing about.

I would be interested in how the controls work and price.

rmslawns
07-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Good choice.