PDA

View Full Version : Materials used to make stripe kit?

bulldogg
06-16-2010, 12:50 PM
What kind of quick stripe kit can I make for a Super Surfer? I have read where people use thick rubber, but how would I mount it and where woulod I get the rubber?

I can mount something to the back of the deck but I also have this round tube that is between the rear wheels that I might be able to mount something to.

Please any suggestions would be great.

bulldogg
06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
bump this to the top so maybe someone can see and help me out

thomask
06-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I've had the same question, I have an Everride Scorpion that I'd like to do the same thing to.

mdlwn1
06-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Do some searching...you dont need a stripe tool or whatever to stripe. You just need to learn how to grow grass and understtand how a mower cuts to make stripes.

topsites
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Do some searching...you dont need a stripe tool or whatever to stripe. You just need to learn how to grow grass and understtand how a mower cuts to make stripes.

Agreed, I've bought one and made two kits, spent probably close to $400 for a total of three striping kits, plus labor.
I used them for a long time, two years to be exact.

The one I bought is so wide and heavy, even after I modified the entire kit to be 100% "quick release" it is cumbersome and a PITA to use.
I can't IMAGINE how folks would deal with this POS while using the OEM's nuts and bolts system,
seeing how it has to be removed and re-installed OFTEN.
Like, JUST to get the machine off the trailer the kit HAS to come off,
every single yard, it weighs about 80-100 lbs.
The quick-release modification made things a lot easier, but it was still a pita.

Then the two I built, I had learned a lot by then, I built those two to be full-time
ALWAYS ON kits, they worked great in that sense, NEVER had to take one off.
I was in heaven, or so I thought.

Unfortunately I found they wear out in about a season's time, the ones you buy do it too,
requiring replacement of about $80-$100 in parts, plus the labor, every year, per kit.
Granted I did get two years out of those but then I'm solo and two kits lasted two years, so one per year.

After all of that I had had enough, off they came, in the garbage they went.

Today NONE of my mowers have a kit yet my yards look the best they ever have.

Hence I have to conclude that kits are mostly a waste of time, and money.

bulldogg
06-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks but lets keep this on track. With all due respect..... I am not asking for anyones opinion on their experience but I am wanting specific information regarding how someone may have made one of these...

Thank you for your input but I want this thread to stay on topic and not turn into people bashing other people or stouting their way of doing something is the right way and everyone else is wrong.

topsites
06-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks but lets keep this on track. With all due respect..... I am not asking for anyones opinion on their experience but I am wanting specific information regarding how someone may have made one of these...

Thank you for your input but I want this thread to stay on topic and not turn into people bashing other people or stouting their way of doing something is the right way and everyone else is wrong.

And who do you think wrote the tutorial on LS on how to build these?
Pictures and all!
LOL!

Granted I'm not the only one, but there aren't that many.
Too bad I guess they never stickied it, but if they didn't want to that's fine, I didn't ask nor would I expect them to.

So as mdlawn said, do some searching.

mdlwn1
06-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Do a search....this has been covered 100's of times. Sorry for the advice, but it's hard to watch someone go down a dead end with soo much enthusiasm.