PDA

View Full Version : Good quality hand tools?

Weekendwrench
06-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I am having a hard time finding good quality hand tools. (shovels, rakes, etc.) Can someone point me in the direction of where to buy good quality hand tools? Preferable fiberglass handled. I am willing to pay for them if I find them. The nurseries I deal with have OK tools, but want way too much for them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

VO Landscape Design
06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
I have used Fiskar's and am happy with them so far.
VO

redmax fan
06-17-2010, 12:26 AM
sears , ,,,,,,,

lovemachine2
06-17-2010, 12:41 AM
King Of Spades. we have many spades , shovels , rakes. No comparison. They will last a lifetime and are well built. little pricey but, they are very heavy duty and will not break.

StoneFaced
06-17-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty fussy when it comes to my tools. Some tools are worth spending the extra cash on. A good quality edging/nursery spade will take a lot of abuse, and save your body some abuse when compared to any other from a chain store. I can lay an edge on a bed w/ it, better than any bed edger will do, cut through tree roots, even asphalt. Try that w/ any wood handle el cheepo, and you will feel it right in your spine. It's not only the life of the tool, but also the result you can get as well as the effect they will have on your body. My spade is like an extension of my arm and by far my favorite hand tool.

dgw
06-17-2010, 03:18 AM
Rigid......

MarcSmith
06-17-2010, 06:14 AM
I use AmLeonard. they have the composite handled tools, and steel handled tools, like the king of spades....Lifetime warranty on all AMLeonard branded tools, and the day glow orange color ensures that none are left in the pile or left on the job...

And at least according to their catalog they are Made in the USA

land_scaper70
06-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Ridgid and Craftsman = lifetime warranty. I just took back two broken Craftsman leaf rakes the other day and got two brand new ones for a total of $0 dollars (Priceless). I believe you can do the same with Ridgid tools.

Right off their web site:
What is Covered

RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of material and workmanship defects.
How Long Coverage Lasts

This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID tool.

MarcSmith
06-17-2010, 09:44 AM
RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of material and workmanship defects.
How Long Coverage Lasts

This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID tool.

So if a shovel handle breaks while you are using it as a pry bar. do you return it as a a material defect, or do you own up to it and buy a new tool since you were using the tool in the manner it was not intended?

Darryl G
06-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Structron for my shovels and rakes and such, mostly the fiberglass handled ones.

Fireguy97
06-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I am having a hard time finding good quality hand tools. (shovels, rakes, etc.) Can someone point me in the direction of where to buy good quality hand tools? Preferable fiberglass handled. I am willing to pay for them if I find them. The nurseries I deal with have OK tools, but want way too much for them.

http://www.coronaclipper.com/

Surprise Weekender. Quality costs up front, but is less far expensive in the long run.

Mick

land_scaper70
06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
So if a shovel handle breaks while you are using it as a pry bar. do you return it as a a material defect, or do you own up to it and buy a new tool since you were using the tool in the manner it was not intended?

Yep, I have done it for Craftsman, not for Ridgid, I do know someone who has done it for Ridgid.

MarcSmith
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Yep, I have done it for Craftsman, not for Ridgid, I do know someone who has done it for Ridgid. you break a tool doing a job its not intended for, and then return the tool claiming manufacturer defect.... theft by deceit....

land_scaper70
06-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Sort of, while digging a whole for a Crimson Maple, I hit a rock, bigger than I thought. When I went to pry with the shovel to see how big the rock was the handle broke. Now, I may have pried a little harder than I should have. I had the shovel for about a year, it should not have broken after using it for about 5 or 6 dozen times. Take from that what you want.

MarcSmith
06-18-2010, 02:43 PM
one thing I miss about florida....no rocks. all sand. here in Dc you need a shovel, a pick and a digging bar and a lot of fortitude and a good four letter word vocabulary... since I've gone to steel and composite tool handles. no broken handles...

meicher806
06-18-2010, 05:11 PM
I starterd using Fiskar's 2 yeas ago, in a normal year i would buy atleast 10 shovles, i have yet to break this one and i beat the heck out of it.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-18-2010, 11:48 PM
i think its www.madeinusa.com or madeinusatools.com and www.bullytools.com are a couple, generally like everything, stay away from made in china and your all good~!

Fireguy97
06-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Sort of, while digging a whole for a Crimson Maple, I hit a rock, bigger than I thought. When I went to pry with the shovel to see how big the rock was the handle broke. Now, I may have pried a little harder than I should have. I had the shovel for about a year, it should not have broken after using it for about 5 or 6 dozen times. Take from that what you want.

What I take out of that, is that you are at least a little miffed, and that you are blaming the quality and construction of the shovel on your inability to choose and use the proper tool for the job, and abuse (and acknowledge that you are abusing it) the tool that you had in your hand.

Yeah, keep thinking that way land_scraper. - It should not have broken after using it for about 5 or 6 dozen times. I only had it for less than a year. Even though I was using it to try to pry up a huge rock, and I know that I pried harder than I should have, but I was too lazy to pick up a pry bar and use that. Stupid shovel. :hammerhead:

Mick

05 superduty
06-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Craftsman...forever

land_scaper70
06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
What I take out of that, is that you are at least a little miffed, and that you are blaming the quality and construction of the shovel on your inability to choose and use the proper tool for the job, and abuse (and acknowledge that you are abusing it) the tool that you had in your hand.

Yeah, keep thinking that way land_scraper. - It should not have broken after using it for about 5 or 6 dozen times. I only had it for less than a year. Even though I was using it to try to pry up a huge rock, and I know that I pried harder than I should have, but I was too lazy to pick up a pry bar and use that. Stupid shovel. :hammerhead:

Mick

Now Micky (Mouse)
Make sure you know what you are talking about before you start to call people names and do not put words into my mouth, ay. I have and use all the right tools to do a job, as well as knowing how to use them most effectively. Seeing as how I was digging the hole by hand, I am anything but lazy, ay. Why am I defending myself to you?:confused: They make the guarantee, I just use what is given to me.:usflag:

Fireguy97
06-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I hit a rock, bigger than I thought. When I went to pry with the shovel to see how big the rock was the handle broke. Now, I may have pried a little harder than I should have. I had the shovel for about a year, it should not have broken after using it for about 5 or 6 dozen times.

So if a shovel handle breaks while you are using it as a pry bar. do you return it as a material defect, or do you own up to it and buy a new tool since you were using the tool in the manner it was not intended?

Yep, I have done it for Craftsman, not for Ridgid, I do know someone who has done it for Ridgid.

I have and use all the right tools to do a job, as well as knowing how to use them most effectively.

I guess that you don't have to prove anything to me. You've already said it all. I guess that aren't lazy. You just don't really have a clue. :laugh::laugh::laugh: With your work attitude and values, I hope that you're the owner, and not an employee.

I just use what is given to me.
OOoops! It does look like you don't use one important tool that was given to you.

I also really like your comment on 'knowing how to use tools most effectively'....That's a good one!

Mick

land_scaper70
06-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Your proof that accidents happen.

land_scaper70
06-22-2010, 08:08 AM
I am having a hard time finding good quality hand tools. (shovels, rakes, etc.) Can someone point me in the direction of where to buy good quality hand tools? Preferable fiberglass handled. I am willing to pay for them if I find them. The nurseries I deal with have OK tools, but want way too much for them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

*trucewhiteflag*Weekendwrench was just looking for some info on hand tools, did not mean to hijack your thread. There are the names of some good quality tools here, whether or not you are looking for a guarantee. How you use them and what you considered the company guarantee to mean to you is your business. Good luck with whatever tools you get.

decypher
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
you need a shovel, a pick, a digging bar, a lot of fortitude and a good four letter word vocabulary...

Signature quote worthy! Best line I've heard yet today! lol

Ryan

Weekendwrench
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the input. Sorry I havenít been back to respond to you guys sooner but with mowing ad fixen things, well you know the drill. I am going to check these places out. Just from the few that I have looked at they sure beat the over pried crap the nursery is trying to pawn off as professional tools. Thanks.

lawns Etc
06-23-2010, 01:41 AM
Rigid from Home Deopt requires you to have reciept and possibly ship it back at your expense. King of spades is the best and they are made in my town.
Posted via Mobile Device

Armadillolawncare
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Whats up with King of Spades website? Just to get info on where to buy their stuff you have to give them your name, address, email, phone number and how you found out about them!! They may have a great shovel but I don't want to have to fill out all that just to find a dealer. Guess I'll look elsewhere.

P.Services
07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Ames hands down.
Posted via Mobile Device