PDA

View Full Version : Would you take this job?

BINKY1902
06-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I do about 90% mowing, 5% landscape install and redo, and 5% just trimming, yard cleanup, trimming shrubs, flower beds, etc. I was asked today about trimming all trees on a property that I mow and trim. This will cover about twelve acres and include about 60 trees. Most of them are sweetgums, and the prop owner just wants limbs cut from within reach of the ground with a pole saw. I have all the equipment to do this, but would have to rent a dump trailer. I'm also solo so I'd have to get one of my workers that helps me on mulch jobs and such. I'd be getting mowing customers caught up after the day and a half job, so that wouldn't be a problem. Would you mowing guys take a job like this? I like staying a mowing guy, and stay very busy. Most of the work would just be using loppers to cut at ground level. I was thinking about recommending a tree service, but I don't know if they will come out to just trim some small limbs from the ground. It will be a lot of work, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if I want to fool with it. The prop owner really wants to have me do it. If I turn it down I could lose the mowing job which is good money. Is this something better left to a tree service? My insurance covers me to do minor limb trimming which is the case here, but I would rather not have to gear up for this type of job. What do you guys think?

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 10:20 PM
I do about 90% mowing, 5% landscape install and redo, and 5% just trimming, yard cleanup, trimming shrubs, flower beds, etc. I was asked today about trimming all trees on a property that I mow and trim. This will cover about twelve acres and include about 60 trees. Most of them are sweetgums, and the prop owner just wants limbs cut from within reach of the ground with a pole saw. I have all the equipment to do this, but would have to rent a dump trailer. I'm also solo so I'd have to get one of my workers that helps me on mulch jobs and such. I'd be getting mowing customers caught up after the day and a half job, so that wouldn't be a problem. Would you mowing guys take a job like this? I like staying a mowing guy, and stay very busy. Most of the work would just be using loppers to cut at ground level. I was thinking about recommending a tree service, but I don't know if they will come out to just trim some small limbs from the ground. It will be a lot of work, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if I want to fool with it. The prop owner really wants to have me do it. If I turn it down I could lose the mowing job which is good money. Is this something better left to a tree service? My insurance covers me to do minor limb trimming which is the case here, but I would rather not have to gear up for this type of job. What do you guys think?

Just charge to make it worth your while. Are you part time or just nervous? Doesn't sound very difficult just a lot of trees. If its a big property maybe you would be better to rent a chipper and sell him on putting wood chips somewhere on the property away from the house or something. Then you kill 2 birds with one stone and its probably cheaper to rent a chipper than a dump trailer.

sjessen
06-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Do you have to do all of the work at one time or can you fit in in over a period of time? Sounds like you have everything you need to do the work if you want it. Is the owner asking for a bid?

I, too, am solo but probably would take the work as long as the owner was flexible on when it had to be done.

NarNar
06-16-2010, 10:32 PM

It sounds like you don't want to burden yourself with this side activity. If that is how you feel just communicate that to your customer. Let him know that your specialty is mowing and minor tree trimming. Trimming 60 trees on 12 acres is not a minor job. Just make sure you recommend him to someone you trust.

Now if the money is good, just knock it out and call it a day.

dhunterd08
06-16-2010, 10:33 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat. I love getting big landscape jobs, little retaining wall jobs, and anything to break up mowing. Like you said, you can catch up and like patsfan said charge for it

topsites
06-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh... wait...

Just the limbs you can reach from the ground?
Yeah.

Tell him you'd like to do one or two for free to get a feel for things, what I would do.
Then go do one or two, see how the shoe fits, take it from there.

BINKY1902
06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
No not nervous. I'm just very busy with mowing. It has to be done during the week, which will take two days off of my mowing schedule. I can get my mowing customers caught up, but I really like to keep everyone on the same day. They appreciate this, and it helps me keep customers. I have everything to do the work, just debating whether I should reroute my schedule for it. It would be good money, I have approval for time and material, no bid. I'm just alot busier than I planned on being, which I guess is a good thing.

BINKY1902
06-16-2010, 10:50 PM
It's not that I don't know how to do it, it's just putting my other customers behind for it. I was running a chainsaw in my early teens. I have taken entire trees. The work is easy money work it's just the matter of 20 of my mowing customers having to wait. Customers will say, oh yeah that's fine, you can get to it a couple days later, but that may mean, Oh I guess someone else is more important.

rmslawns
06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
I do this work part time on my days off from the FD so my opinion may only apply to someone with my schedule.

I try to do work like that at the beginning or end of season so my cut schedule does not suffer during busy months. If I take a day or two for a big project, I have to hope it does not rain on the days I was going to catch up on my cutting. Here is what I do especially for my commercial accounts. I have several friends that specialize in different areas of landscape....tree trimming, stump grinding, irrigation, large tree planting etc. If I cannot do it or do not have time to, I have them give ME a bid. I let the customer know I am getting a price from someone I deal with, then give them a bid. It is like being a contractor. So..when I am cutting the property, I have someone there doing another project and I make a few bucks and my customer is happy. Just remember...be careful saying yes to too much. I try to find work for others if I have it and at the end of the day I know we all made a few bucks.

BINKY1902
06-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm probably gonna take it, I just have so much going on right now. It will be a two or three tripper to the landfill. Oh well, I have a dually that needs a workout, and I have a four yard trailer I can rent for cheap. I guess the point of this post is that I have a whole lot of work for a solo guy, and it's getting to me. I didn't want to have to hire a full time guy this year but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to start running a crew next year so I can tend to other stuff like this. To be honest, I could get big into landscaping next year if I get a crew to mow. Word gets around fast I guess, cause I'm getting plenty of work. I also like taking jobs other than mowing, only if I had more time. Guess that's when you know it's time to hire some guys. I guess the point is I have a big bass boat sitting out back that needs a workout worse than that dually!

JayD
06-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Just charge to make it worth your while. Are you part time or just nervous? Doesn't sound very difficult just a lot of trees. If its a big property maybe you would be better to rent a chipper and sell him on putting wood chips somewhere on the property away from the house or something. Then you kill 2 birds with one stone and its probably cheaper to rent a chipper than a dump trailer.

Good advise.....

nepatsfan
06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm probably gonna take it, I just have so much going on right now. It will be a two or three tripper to the landfill. Oh well, I have a dually that needs a workout, and I have a four yard trailer I can rent for cheap. I guess the point of this post is that I have a whole lot of work for a solo guy, and it's getting to me. I didn't want to have to hire a full time guy this year but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to start running a crew next year so I can tend to other stuff like this. To be honest, I could get big into landscaping next year if I get a crew to mow. Word gets around fast I guess, cause I'm getting plenty of work. I also like taking jobs other than mowing, only if I had more time. Guess that's when you know it's time to hire some guys. I guess the point is I have a big bass boat sitting out back that needs a workout worse than that dually!
Get a helper for four days. Move the people you mow on tues back to monday. Move the people you mow on wed to thurs. Do the tree job on tues and wed and have your helper mow and do the tree job with you.:drinkup: Then you are only one day off and most customers wont think twice about it. If they ask just tell them you had a big job so you had to shuffle the mowing schedule this week and next week you will be back to normal.

ShooterK2
06-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Why not just get a helper and have him do the tree job while you take care of the mowing accounts? That way, you never get off schedule with your mowing, and you make a few extra bucks off the tree job, while giving your helper some work. Or have your helper do the mowing accounts while you do the tree job.

BINKY1902
06-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah it'll work itself out. I am about to graduate college this December so I have that going on too. Just pulled in a lot of directions. I might have to start taking my kids on my route so I can see them.

Darryl G
06-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Need an arborist license here to do that.

hiringus
06-17-2010, 01:50 AM
shooter said what I was going to... Bring a laborer there, show him on one or two trees what you want done and bounce to go do your normal work till he has your trailer loaded to the hilt.. stacked..cut..stacked..cut..stacked..cut..strapped make them fit on one trip

2brothersyardcare
06-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Need an arborist license here to do that.

shhhhhhh no one knows that

topsites
06-17-2010, 09:31 AM
My advice is if you're too busy, raise your prices.

shhhhhhh no one knows that

Good one :p

Darryl G
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Do you know how to prune trees properly? How to drop limbs without having them strip the bark off the trunk? The propery place to stub off the limbs? Can you identify diseased trees? Do you know how to disinfect your tools between trees? Not do you kind of sort of know a little about it, do you really know what you're doing?

Personally I think you should stick to what you know and what you're qualified and licensed to do well, professionally, in a workman-like manner. Maybe your are, I have no way of knowing.

ShooterK2
06-17-2010, 10:00 AM
He said he's been cutting trees since his early teens, and has all the equipment to do the job. Sounds like maybe he knows what he's doing. I think I'd find some way to get it done for my customer, if I could, and keep the account.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
06-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Do you know how to prune trees properly? How to drop limbs without having them strip the bark off the trunk? The propery place to stub off the limbs? Can you identify diseased trees? Do you know how to disinfect your tools between trees? Not do you kind of sort of know a little about it, do you really know what you're doing?

Personally I think you should stick to what you know and what you're qualified and licensed to do well, professionally, in a workman-like manner. Maybe your are, I have no way of knowing.
Seems like you are very knowlegable darryl, is this the stuff you look up while you are home all day.

nepatsfan
06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Seems like you are very knowlegable darryl, is this the stuff you look up while you are home all day.

Just kidding but do you seriously need an arborist in CT for that. I have never heard of that for MA, I try to avoid tree work for the most part but that isnt even really tree work just taking some low limbs down.

Darryl G
06-17-2010, 08:48 PM

I worked as a ground man for an arborist friend of mine when I was a grad student doing my research project. It worked out perfectly because he didn't work if it rained, and I was doing a watershed study and only did that when it did rain. Yes, you really need that in most cases. There are some exceptions. And I'm not home all day, I work full time doing lawn care/landscaping. I got an early start today, rolled out at 12:47 :p

BINKY1902
06-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Yes, I know how to prune, I don't offer services that I am not qualified to do. The point was I'm just real busy and am worried that my customers will think I'm putting them on the backburner to take care of the bigger job. I'm used to being pulled in alot of directions though. People know I'm a welder, so people ask me to weld. People know I'm an electrician, so they ask me to do some work for them. Also do HVAC and plumbing, and so on. I am a good mechanic, so people want me working on there cars, bikes, and so on. I just wanna focus on one thing right now. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have acquired so many trades! I just want to sit back and cut some grass! I still take care of the family though when problems arise with autos, boats, plumbing or whatever. Probably the best part of learning things is that I never have to pay anybody for anything. I just got burnt out on fixing stuff.

nepatsfan
06-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes, I know how to prune, I don't offer services that I am not qualified to do. The point was I'm just real busy and am worried that my customers will think I'm putting them on the backburner to take care of the bigger job. I'm used to being pulled in alot of directions though. People know I'm a welder, so people ask me to weld. People know I'm an electrician, so they ask me to do some work for them. Also do HVAC and plumbing, and so on. I am a good mechanic, so people want me working on there cars, bikes, and so on. I just wanna focus on one thing right now. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have acquired so many trades! I just want to sit back and cut some grass! I still take care of the family though when problems arise with autos, boats, plumbing or whatever. Probably the best part of learning things is that I never have to pay anybody for anything. I just got burnt out on fixing stuff.

Sometimes its a burden to know a lot of things. Thats how it is with me. I always have family and friends calling me with problems that I dont have time to deal with but best of all....they are freebies.