PDA

View Full Version : Repower

scagman52
06-17-2010, 08:22 AM
This question is for anyone who has repowered there commercial mower. I want to repower my scag cub that has a 19 hp kawasaki with the same exact engine. Do you have to make any adjustments like timing or governer or is it straight forward out of the box. Just add the oil and start.

topsites
06-17-2010, 08:40 AM
All I know is for some reasons (long story) older machines don't always get along
with new engines, it's a little bit like human organ transplant I guess, just doesn't
always work out but so good.

One of the reasons is new power goes through old machine and it just starts tearing things up that never failed with the older more worn out engine.
At least that was my experience, I ended up spending close to another thousand dollars on one of mine,
everything kept breaking one piece here and there and then it took a few years before it finally seemed to settle in.

So probably you might be better off down grading horsepower somewhat,
a few hp's less, in this case 15-17'ish.

JCLawn and more
06-17-2010, 08:57 AM
I think the reason why you had problems is because everything was designed to break at once. My mower I put but 2500 into. The engine is about the only thing original now. This all happen in the past 100 hrs. Replacing the engine is pretty easy. If you know what you are doing, about 2 hours. If you don't, then 4-5 hours. Its not hard, especially if its the same engine.