PDA

View Full Version : Have a class and need your help

ljhanson12345
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, I have a concepts of design class and I need yalls help. We are supposed to pick a device and make it better using these golden rules listed below. These golden rules are basically used to either make the part cheaper or more efficient.

1. Minimize Part Count
2. Design Out Discrete Fasteners
5. Modularize Multiple Parts Into Subassemblies
6. Assemble Parts Using Z-Axis Downward Motion
8 Optimize Parts for Feeding
11. Design Mating Components for Easy Insertion
12. Assemble in Open Space, Not Confined Spaces
14. Design for Efficient Product Validation

Since the age of 10 I have always enjoyed mowing, so thatís pretty much all I can think about in this class. If the lawn business didnít take a toll on my body (Iím 21 now and my back has already given out once and my knees are wearing out) Iíd probably make it my profession. Iím now intrigued by engineering and Iím always thinking how I can apply it to the lawn business.

Basically, what are some stupid designs these manufactures have (lawn business or not).

Ex. Rule 11 The air filter cover for my 15hp kaw has these stupid connector pieces that hold it in place. They should redesign it like the handheld equipment where it just kinda snaps on.

Rule 1 The wheels on stick edgers are pointless and get in the way. I never see anybody use them so why have em.

Also for the head of a trimmer they could make a better design for the eyelets. They always seem to pop out.

whosedog
06-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I would like to see a manufacturer make FM radio earmuffs with a built in walkie talkie,so I could communicate with the guys I'm working with.The only thing available now is those air traffic controller one and they are too expensive.It seems to me it shouldn't be to hard to do, the technology exists,it just hasn't been mass produced yet.So get to work!

twcw5804
06-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I know of another local LCO that would second what Whosedog said. I'm solo so I have no issue talking to myself. But when discussing the FM earmuffs with him he said he needed so to communicate with his guys if he needed to get ahold of them across the yard.

head_start
06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
take a small to medium sized power tool and just simplify it. like a power rake or a snow blower, or a motorized something. make a string trimmer head, but make it easy enought for someone with bad hands to work on and change the string in.