PDA

View Full Version : scared to death

Trevor8
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I just finished up mowing and go into the back yard to weed eat. The back yard has a small garden, and a playground. I was by one tree and the playground when i look over and then look back to see a snake less than a foot away from me. I think it fell out of the tree. I ran 10 feet away from the thing and it was just looking at me. I was scared $hitless. I don't want to go back because i hate snakes and i hope the house sells this week so i dont have to mow again. The snake was long and skinny it was black in color with at least on yellow stripe. That was the 3 time i have seen a snake in the wild in my life the other times were mowing last year, and fishing a few years back. I just knew that i would see a snake in the backyard of that house. I am going to tell the guy because if you are selling a house and you have people walking around the yard you dont want them to see a snake.

whosedog
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Boo! If you were scared how do you think the snake felt? Running that noisy mower so close to him,probably half scared him to death!

twcw5804
06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
When I had a sulky on my 36'' exmark I would hit them and not even noticed. Seems like i would only see them if I was actually walking. One time I hit two in one back yard. The benefit is you have a mower, just stand back and hold the mower over where the snake is at. You will see them fly about 6ft to the right.

clydebusa
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
If you are scared of snakes, I would change jobs!

R & R Yard Designs
06-17-2010, 03:19 PM
We have a complex with a pond and next to the woods today alone we had 7 that we either ran over or cut up. I hate them to , if I know that they are there I'm ok but if it comes from under something all hell breaks out. Forgot how stright the stipes arew that snake must die
Posted via Mobile Device

Trevor8
06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
This is the first one i have seen this year. It is very rare to see one in very populated areas in Iowa. I think if i keep seeing them i will adapt to being ok with them. The bad part was that i was weed eating and i dont think a string trimmer would of killed it. Same with me R&R if i know they are there and see them i will be ok but if they come out of nowhere that is what scares me the most.

tmetz
06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Don't move to south florida, now we apparently are loaded up with burmese pythons! I see black snakes all the time when I am mowing. The other day we were swimming in the pool and a ring neck jumped in with us. Just grab them by the neck and put them where you want, they wont hurt you. As for rattle snakes, cotton mouths, etc... they suck!

Trevor8
06-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I bet it sucks in Florida I hear about pythons all the time down there. What is the biggest snake you have seen.

head_start
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
i dont have snake problems, we have spider problems. the yellow and black spiders that form colonies in the trees. just a little creepy, thats all. i usually have no problem with spiders, just when they turn an orchard into a colony.

gunner4green
06-17-2010, 04:37 PM
I just finished up mowing and go into the back yard to weed eat. The back yard has a small garden, and a playground. I was by one tree and the playground when i look over and then look back to see a snake less than a foot away from me. I think it fell out of the tree. I ran 10 feet away from the thing and it was just looking at me. I was scared $hitless. I don't want to go back because i hate snakes and i hope the house sells this week so i dont have to mow again. The snake was long and skinny it was black in color with at least on yellow stripe. That was the 3 time i have seen a snake in the wild in my life the other times were mowing last year, and fishing a few years back. I just knew that i would see a snake in the backyard of that house. I am going to tell the guy because if you are selling a house and you have people walking around the yard you dont want them to see a snake.

Not to worry Trevor. I understand you are scared of snakes etc....however being up in Iowa, you have nothing to worry about. That was probably a Garter Snake, "Harmless" the females do get big and fat due to babies, but other than that your good to go. They very good to have around the house for bugs etc...they do like to shed and sun bathe on shrubs but thats about it. Sometimes you may even see a quite a bit bigger kind, called a "Bull Snake" but again "harmless". their size will intimadate you though. The only real threat in Iowa, are the water mocasins. If one or 2 bite ya thats not to bad, but if a whole school of them get ahold of ya you'll get real sick, and sometimes die. Other than that, you aint got a thing to worry about tho LOL LOL..My grand father used to get pissed if he hit a school of them in the yard sometimes LOL ....stay safe out there...

Trevor8
06-17-2010, 04:43 PM
I will try to stay safe. I have only seen two water mocasins in my life once fishing and one in a stream. But man they scare you to death when they come out of know where

twcw5804
06-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I killed one once with a trimmer. Turned it sideways and gave it a little gas, and also beat him with the head.

towtruck212
06-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Dude I straight up **** myself today as i was trimming a property in the mountains. Walked right up on a timber rattlesnake I will say I was 3 feet away and when I saw it I might have jumped 3 feet in the air. Damm this thing was 5 feet long and about as big around as a 32oz Gatorade bottle. First time ever to see on of these.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-17-2010, 05:59 PM
was it a garden snake. those thing are vicious man eaters!

Richard Martin
06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
This is a Garter snake. Not black with yellow rings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Coast_Garter_Snake.jpg/220px-Coast_Garter_Snake.jpg

It could have been this killer. It's called a Yellow Ring Neck snake. Be careful though. It might fall asleep in your hand.

http://www.pcs.k12.va.us/vtrail/Z-9.jpg

More than likely you saw a King snake.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Lampropeltis_getula_getula.jpg

stuntmanlogan
06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Where are you mowing at. Today I saw two gardner snakes in the backyard of one of my customers in west des moines. I don't really get scared by them though, they usually will take off right away. There more frightened of you then you are of them.

Trevor8
06-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Logan I was in Clive right behind the healthy living center close to granite city and shanes rib shack

stuntmanlogan
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Logan I was in Clive right behind the healthy living center close to granite city and shanes rib shack

Yeah my customer has a creek right in here backyard thats where there coming from. But they are around the area I see about 7 or 8 each year in my yards.

topsites
06-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Did we forget to warn the new guys about this minor detail?

Springmeadows
06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
this is funny.... the end of the world when a snake comes out. I see them all the time, some big some little... kill it or not just keep working... wait till you see the real "killers" bald faced hornets in a shrub you're trimming...

MS_SURVEYOR
06-18-2010, 01:05 AM
this is funny.... the end of the world when a snake comes out. I see them all the time, some big some little... kill it or not just keep working... wait till you see the real "killers" bald faced hornets in a shrub you're trimming...

NOW THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT!!! :laugh:

I ain't scared of no snake, as long as I can see it. But yellow jackets, bald faced hornets, bumble bees!!! :cry::cry: I'm out of there!!! :waving:

topsites
06-18-2010, 04:07 AM
All jokes aside, if it makes you feel any better I remember being scared bad
by one of them rubber snakes lol, someone evidently left it outside.

yardatwork
06-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Sissy! I had to catch a snake yesterday...request by my client. The snake was coiled up on top of a boxwood. After the third attempt I was able to finally grab him. Just be careful...snakes releases a milky substance (also sometimes clear) as a defense mechanism...it also smells REALLY bad if you get it on you. I got'em and relocated him. Snakes are very smart...it'll more than likely be back in that boxwood within two to three days.

johnnybravo8802
06-18-2010, 07:02 AM
You don't ever kill a king snake-They are the good guys. I usually relocate them to a safe place. I run into them from time to time about 5-6' long and they won't hurt you. I had an amigo come blowing a green snake up the drive a couple of months ago. I played with him a while and put him in a tree where he was safe(I swear that little buger smiled at me:)). Ran into a black mamba last week but didn't play with him-Just passed him on by........:waving:

Trevor8
06-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Sorry Bravo i am not going to grab a snake and throw it in the truck to relocate it. A good snake is a dead snake or a snake.

mowerbrad
06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I about had an AMI when I saw a snake yesterday. I was mowing next to a fence and I see something out of the corner of my eye moving near the trim side of the deck...it was a freakin' snake. It was about 14" long and scared me half to death. I was so scared I wouldn't get off the mower to trim along the fence, instead I sat on the mower holding the trimmer and trimming along the fence.

Yesterday I was almost hit by a semi who ran a stop sign, but I was more scared of the snake!!!

You're not alone...I too am scared to death of snakes. I've seen 2-3 snakes already this year...hopefully I don't have to see any more this year.

capelawncare.com
06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
You guys are funny.... Hardly a day goes that I dont see a snake. It used to freak me out. But you get used to it. I used to try and kill them, but most of the time they took off.

Now I just let them be. Unless they are poisonous. Then I take em out.

Trevor8
06-18-2010, 09:59 AM
You guys are funny.... Hardly a day goes that I dont see a snake. It used to freak me out. But you get used to it. I used to try and kill them, but most of the time they took off.

Your in Florida there are snakes everywhere down there in Iowa you never see them because they are all in the corn fields. Right on Brad Snake suck.:) I like the new bio Pic

MJB
06-18-2010, 10:06 AM
I always carry a trash picker on my mower when I see a snake I just pick him up with it and put him in a safe place. The only snakes I kill are rattlers or bull snakes. Bull snakes have a temper and will attack your mower if you make them mad. I had one try to get on my deck after making several passes trying to scare him into a safer place he attacked. He died!

Chilehead
06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Living in Iowa, you don't have much to worry about concerning snakes. Personally, I like having snakes around. As far as spiders are concerned, I find them fascinating. The only bugs I don't want around are roaches. They are carriers of disease and are a real pest. The American Cockroach (a.k.a. palmetto bug) generally stays outside, but German roaches breed indoors. House centipedes are another one I quite frankly don't care to have around. They like to hang out in dark, damp, and cool areas of basements and crawlspaces.

Chilehead
06-18-2010, 10:35 AM
You don't ever kill a king snake-They are the good guys. I usually relocate them to a safe place. I run into them from time to time about 5-6' long and they won't hurt you. I had an amigo come blowing a green snake up the drive a couple of months ago. I played with him a while and put him in a tree where he was safe(I swear that little buger smiled at me:)). Ran into a black mamba last week but didn't play with him-Just passed him on by........:waving:

There are NO black mambas in Georgia, Johnny--only in Africa. You saw either a black rat snake or an indigo snake. Both are harmless.

Trevor8
06-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah it is nice living in Iowa few snakes, and spiders that are poison, and very few roaches.

FastMan
06-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Trevor, next time you see one hang around it until you feel your anxiety start to settle. Being in this business you need to overcome the phobia about them.

I used to hate them too, but after living in Florida for a spell I came to desensitize myself a bit. At one point I was working out in a pasture and about a half dozen 4 foot long black snakes were madly racing all around me, almost under my feet, chasing each other. It was breeding season I think. Took a big breath and just relaxed with it, and watched them play.

They look creepy, but they're just another of God's living creatures, and that in your part of the country are generally not dangerous to you. They have no desire to attack you, they're just out there doing their thing, just like the squirrels and rabbits.

G. Ramey
06-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I was cutting an overgrown backyard last week and movement caught my attention. It was a copperhead coiled up near a drainage pipe. the pipe was in some thick grass and weeds and I could barely see the pipe. I ran to my truck and came back with a bush axe, but the snake was gone. when I started trimming I went back to the drainage pipe and was going to trim around it really good. I stick the trimmer in there and it instantly gets wrapped up in hay twine. I couldn,t pull it out, it was stuck good. Of course I wasn't going to reach in there with my pocket knife, so it was back to the truck to get my bush axe again to cut my trimmer loose.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I was cutting an overgrown backyard last week and movement caught my attention. It was a copperhead coiled up near a drainage pipe. the pipe was in some thick grass and weeds and I could barely see the pipe. I ran to my truck and came back with a bush axe, but the snake was gone. when I started trimming I went back to the drainage pipe and was going to trim around it really good. I stick the trimmer in there and it instantly gets wrapped up in hay twine. I couldn,t pull it out, it was stuck good. Of course I wasn't going to reach in there with my pocket knife, so it was back to the truck to get my bush axe again to cut my trimmer loose.

:dizzy::dizzy:

:laugh:

I hear Ya! Ain't that just the luck! :laugh:

FastMan
06-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I'll share the story of the origin of my snake fear with you guys. Kinda funny in retrospect.

I grew up in the country, and one summer weekend when I was about 5 years old my folks set up a family sized tent on the back of land, with the intent of introducing me to my first "camping" experience.

The day before the big sleep out we headed back to set up the tent. I walked into the tent first, and a moment later heard a blood curdling scream. It was my mother, who upon starting to follow me in had looked down to see 3 large snakes had slithered into the tent and were lying right inside the door. She immediately bolted, closing the door on me behind her.

There I stood, inside a closed tent with 3 mega large man eating serpents between me and the door, and the screams of terror coming from my running mother quickly fading off into the distance. I guess when push comes to shove an otherwise loving mother will eat her young!

It was then and there that I developed the jumping skills that won me the broad and high jump at my school field day competitions the next few years running. With only a single step to fuel my leap, I cleared the snakes and flew out the door in a single panic stricken bound.

No, we didn't camp that night, I grew up not very found of snakes, and I never let my loving mother forget the day she left me to die.

tmetz
06-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Hell up in the cape they have the komoto dragons (monitor lizards) running around up there, killing all sorts of stuff.

These are those monitor lizards up in cape coral...
http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/nile%20monitor%20lizard.jpg

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/Burmese-python-picture.jpg

Haven't seen any of these while mowing grass, but when I go out hunting in the everglades we have seen them.

djflats
06-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I've had snakes fall out of trees on me while mowing under the limbs. The other day I was weedeating a ditch and a copperhead crawled over my left boot. Now that shocked the heck out me. Once I realized what happened I "took care" of the snake.

TSB group
08-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I get the fear of a poisonous snake, but what is the sense in killing the others? Or do you like rodents and bugs?

Heintooga
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
There's plenty snakes in Tenn. but there's a state law against killing them. I've seen Copperheads and Rattlers in the Smokies and I just scoot them out of the way with a L O N G stick and go on. Seldom see snakes in the urban areas though.

topsites
08-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Just grab it and throw it over where the crocodiles, that way keep all the critters in one place,
I couldn't possibly mow with all these lawn ornaments crawling about, way too much distraction,
then again of late all I'm seeing is deer.

cgaengineer
08-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Snakes don't bother me a bit, but I hate yellow jackets. A few weeks ago I was in a bed full of english ivy with shorts and walked on top of a yellow jacket nest...still have a spot on my arm where I got nailed...I ran out of that bed like a banshee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
08-10-2010, 10:37 PM
i dont have snake problems, we have spider problems. the yellow and black spiders that form colonies in the trees. just a little creepy, thats all. i usually have no problem with spiders, just when they turn an orchard into a colony.

PLEASE......embrace the fact that you have yellow & black spiders (garden orb weavers to be exact). They may be large and creepey looking, but they are very gentle, can be handled easily (won't bite), and are great pest control (mosquitos/flies). The spiders are not the pest. I'll tell ya whats to be scared of: yellowjackets. Run over a nest and get stung two dozen times.

CaptainPike
08-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I get garter snakes in my yard all the time. Every year when it gets warm I start finding them. Some of them get to be pretty big. A few feet long. They are dumb as rocks. The big ones will try to bury their head to hide from you while exposing their entire body. Then you just chop his sorry @$$

zo6
08-11-2010, 12:46 AM
this is a garter snake. Not black with yellow rings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/coast_garter_snake.jpg/220px-coast_garter_snake.jpg

it could have been this killer. It's called a yellow ring neck snake. Be careful though. It might fall asleep in your hand.

http://www.pcs.k12.va.us/vtrail/z-9.jpg

more than likely you saw a king snake.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/lampropeltis_getula_getula.jpg

lol gardner snake

CaptainPike
08-11-2010, 12:56 AM
lol gardner snake

I found one of those little ring neck snakes in my back yard last year.

There are probly more of them, but they are pretty small. Almost hard to notice them.

LawnTamer
08-11-2010, 04:00 AM
A few years back, my brother was working for me. He was trimming. I bet we've all trimmed a little snake once or twice. Don't know how many times I have. I'm riding the sulky in this big lawn we do, the property is all surrounded by sagebrush and open desert. Prime rattlesnake country. I see my bro jump up in the air like he just trimmed his toe off. He waves me over, he'd just trimmed into a snake, he'd thought it was a rattler at first. It was just a gopher snake, (I think), but it was the biggest danged snake I have EVER seen in the wild. 4-5' long, but thick, thicker than a can of soda easily.

Another time, I'm out doing fert and squirt with a helper, he comes running over to me, telling me he almost go bit by a rattler, I told him it was just a garden snake, and to man up. We were in the suburbs. He was very insistent, so I went over to take a look. Sure enough, there was one angry rattler. This was a house with a 4yr old kid and a dog. I asked the homeowner if it was a pet, she freaked. I would too.

jbt79
08-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I had a job earlier this year that the backyard hadnt been mowed in god knows how long and the weeds were waist high. I was walking it looking for anything I didnt want to run over and stepped on a huge snake, didnt see the whole thing, but what I saw was about 5' and I could tell there was much more and bigger around than a beer can. I took off running! Well I started mowing with my 36" WB riding on a sulky trying to avoid that area untill last, and when I got to that area sure enough got my mower stuck right where I saw the snake! Wasnt stuck bad, but I wasnt getting off my sulky and wrestling it in that grass, had to jump off, run like hell, and got the trimmer and trimmed a BIG area around it before I would go near that mower. Old man next door was laughing his a$$ of at me, but said he would have done the same thing.

Merkava_4
08-16-2010, 04:39 AM
It could have been this killer. It's called a Yellow Ring Neck snake. Be careful though. It might fall asleep in your hand.

LOL!! :laugh:

cut level
08-16-2010, 07:52 AM
PLEASE......embrace the fact that you have yellow & black spiders (garden orb weavers to be exact). They may be large and creepey looking, but they are very gentle, can be handled easily (won't bite), and are great pest control (mosquitos/flies). The spiders are not the pest. I'll tell ya whats to be scared of: yellowjackets. Run over a nest and get stung two dozen times.

yep my grandmother would not let us kill those spiders when she was around. She called em garden spiders and although she didnt like spiders she didnt mess with these. Her and my grandfather always raaised a big garden and usually a couple big garden spiders would stake their residence there.
I hate snakes all of them but Pawpaw wouldnd have you kill his chicken snakes or King snakes around the barn cause they ate rodents and King snake would kill poisonous snakes. I saw Pawpaw pick his 6 ft chicken snake up off his John Deere 4020 and move it over beneath the workbench so he could get on his tractor!

cgaengineer
08-16-2010, 07:56 AM
I relocate all snakes to a less populated area when I find them. I don't mind them around the house...even poisonous but its the mowers, kids and neighbors who don't care for them...even poisonous snakes have their place.

As far as spiders, I don't mind them either...don't want to wake up with one in my face but they don't bother me otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
08-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Im more afraid of the snakes I dont see!

ChevHayes
08-16-2010, 08:57 PM
I encountered a snake once while mowing, it was pretty good sized. I put him in my catcher bag (scag rider 3 bag system) alive. Dropped truck off at shop and forgot about it.The next morning we remembered and he was not in bagger or in truck, lol i guess he escaped into the shop and we never did find or see him again.

Johnny test
08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
OMG, I was scared it was going to crawl up my panties!!!! Fukin "A" KICK it!!!!!

Damit now I have to submit to this tread just to hear the comments..

Johnny test
08-16-2010, 09:11 PM
I encountered a snake once while mowing, it was pretty good sized. I put him in my catcher bag (scag rider 3 bag system) alive. Dropped truck off at shop and forgot about it.The next morning we remembered and he was not in bagger or in truck, lol i guess he escaped into the shop and we never did find or see him again.

Omg dude, I remember one time. I was working for a auto parts store in Orlando. I found this huge fukin cockroach. I put it in wheel cylinder part box in the back room and called my buddy from Firestone up the street and asked him to order the part. Holly, the guy that answered the call was Spanish. That mofo blew up like a bomb. it was funny...

MJB
08-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Omg dude, I remember one time. I was working for a auto parts store in Orlando. I found this huge fukin cockroach. I put it in wheel cylinder part box in the back room and called my buddy from Firestone up the street and asked him to order the part. Holly, the guy that answered the call was Spanish. That mofo blew up like a bomb. it was funny...

How about cleaning up the language. We don't need all the expletives to get your point!

puppypaws
08-17-2010, 08:47 PM

The snake will not bother you unless you step on it, and the snake you described is not poisonous. I actually like having them around, it keeps the rats away. This is a picture I took next to one of my buildings a few weeks back, I believe this may be about the largest black snake I remember seeing. When he crawled off he went into a hole underneath the same building. Look at the size of the girth on this snake, it appears he had just eaten another snake. This guy was well over 6' long, and really big around.

malblackbelt05
08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
This is the first one i have seen this year. It is very rare to see one in very populated areas in Iowa. I think if i keep seeing them i will adapt to being ok with them. The bad part was that i was weed eating and i dont think a string trimmer would of killed it. Same with me R&R if i know they are there and see them i will be ok but if they come out of nowhere that is what scares me the most.

Yes a string trimmer will definitely kill them.... I found a snake caught in some of that pre-seeded landscape netting the kind with the straw woven into it. Left him alone came back the next week and he was still stuck in the same spot. Didn't want him to starve to death so I took the trimmer and hit him with it going at full speed. When he came back down from 35 ft in the air he was headless and dead as a door nail. Usually I just leave them along if I see them. They don't bother me and I don't bother them.

RussellB
08-19-2010, 10:25 PM
All jokes aside, if it makes you feel any better I remember being scared bad
by one of them rubber snakes lol, someone evidently left it outside.

LOL. I was on a roof blowing it off and when I turned I saw a snake and darn near killed myself getting off the roof. The homeowner laughed their butt off. He had placed a rubber snake on the roof to scare the squirrels.

Big Bad Bob
08-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Your in Florida there are snakes everywhere down there in Iowa you never see them because they are all in the corn fields. Right on Brad Snake suck.:) I like the new bio Pic

Where do you mow? I'm in your area and see garter and bull snakes all the time, mostly in heavy residential and industrial areas. Just let them get away from you cause that's all they want to do. Very beneficial so try not to injure them.

puppypaws
08-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Where do you mow? I'm in your area and see garter and bull snakes all the time, mostly in heavy residential and industrial areas. Just let them get away from you cause that's all they want to do. Very beneficial so try not to injure them.

Very good advice everyone should follow, the problem is, a large number of people are paranoid where snakes are involved. They are as much afraid of you, as you are of them, just let them have their space.

Trevor8
08-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Central Iowa

-Dalton-
08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
i come across em all the time in louisiana. yesterday i had to pick a little king snake up and move him, scared him with my mower and he tried to cross a busy road. bastard bit me, but i don't blame him. not like he knows i was trying to help.

puppypaws
08-20-2010, 03:55 PM
i come across em all the time in louisiana. yesterday i had to pick a little king snake up and move him, scared him with my mower and he tried to cross a busy road. bastard bit me, but i don't blame him. not like he knows i was trying to help.

I've been bitten many times fooling with non poisonous snakes, little prick and not really much to it. I had a friend bitten by a Copperhead, different story there, made a large hole where some of his leg tissue turned black and rotted out.

For those that do not have a weak stomach, here is a Rattlesnake bite story with surgical pictures. http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/index.htm

Buck_wheat
08-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Fraid of a little garter snake? What a sissy...

I love having them, kings, & black racers... keep the vermin down. hate the cottonmouths (i believe they are also known as water moccosins) and them tiny little coral snakes... small teeth but big bite. Red on black, friend of jack, red on yellow, kill a fellow... quick too. rattlers arnt too friendly neither but least you can hear them unless you step on em. usually snake will feel the gound vibrate and take off before you get to them. that's why I always shake the bush before going in.

Texas Lawn
08-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Red touches yellow, kills a fellow. Red touches black, friend of Jack

Red touch yellow, kills a fellow. Red touch black, venom lack.

Red touch yellow, death says hello. Black touch red, keep your head.

Yellow touch red, you be dead. Red touch black, eat Cracker Jack.

Red and yellow mingle, bite feel a tingle. Red and black hug, sing a song, you lug.

Red and yellow cohabitate, soon you will suffocate. Red and black together, in for sunny weather.

Red leans on yellow, legs turn to jell-o. Red leans on black, keep a strong back.

Yellow brushes red, snake gets fed. Red brushes black, snake gets no snack.

thats all I got

puppypaws
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Red and yellow mingle, bite feel a tingle. Red and black hug, sing a song, you lug.

Red and yellow cohabitate, soon you will suffocate. Red and black together, in for sunny weather.

Red leans on yellow, legs turn to jell-o. Red leans on black, keep a strong back.

thats all I got

Never seen this, but true it is!

I love having them, kings, & black racers... keep the vermin down. hate the cottonmouths (i believe they are also known as water moccosins) and them tiny little coral snakes... small teeth but big bite. Red on black, friend of jack, red on yellow, kill a fellow... quick too. .

The coral snake is bad news, but the good thing is it has extremely short fangs and therefore must actually kind of hang on and chew to inject its venom. The New World coral snake is what we have in North Carolina. "Coral Snakes are found in scattered localities in the southern Coastal Plain from North Carolina to Louisiana, including all of Florida.

QUOTE:

New World coral snakes possess the most potent venom of any North American snake, followed closely by the Mojave rattlesnake. A coral snake must only administer 3-5mg of venom to be fatal to the average adult human; the Mojave rattlesnake must inject 10-15mg to be lethal. Most venomous snakes must inject between 75-100mg of venom to be fatal.

brettslawnservice
08-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I hit snakes all the time I just don't know it until I empty the catcher and then I find there bloodied pieces in the catcher .

ALC-GregH
08-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Have a look. Some snakes ARE good to have around.
http://www.firemanjax.com/blacksnake/index.html

kilgoja
08-21-2010, 12:55 PM
dude you have a weedeater...either scare it away or chop it's head off lol

zo6
08-23-2010, 12:25 AM
dude you have a weedeater...either scare it away or chop it's head off lol

what exactly is a weed eater???? Lol

Big Bad Bob
08-23-2010, 12:39 AM
what exactly is a weed eater???? Lol

It's a green, curved shaft, clockwise running, low powered machine used for cleaning up those weedy yards. Designed to run for 15 minutes every 2 weeks, Should last a good 3 years, unless you try to use it commercially. Then it may last 3 months.
LOL

zo6
08-23-2010, 12:41 AM
It's a green, curved shaft, clockwise running, low powered machine used for cleaning up those weedy yards. Designed to run for 15 minutes every 2 weeks, Should last a good 3 years, unless you try to use it commercially. Then it may last 3 months.
LOL

ahhhhhhhhh a string trimmer... :laugh:;):laugh:

Kiril
08-23-2010, 11:09 AM
I saw a spider yesterday and soiled my panties.

cut level
08-23-2010, 01:06 PM
weedeater=string trimmer I guess its just whatever you are used to calling it. I dont see the big deal who cares?

jbhofc
08-23-2010, 01:30 PM
When I was about 13, I was taking a wagon full of soybeans to the elevator.]
I was pulling the wagon with little Ferguson tractor. I noticed this big ol snake 3 ft. long slithering down the white line in front of me. I eased over toward the center (to miss it) and as I passed it, it came over right in front of my front wagon tire....yup. the tire caught its tail, and its entire guts were pushed up through it hear and it just popped..........all I could think about was a giant tube of tooth paste.
-I definetly know the last thing that went through his mind.............his guts.

Buck_wheat
08-23-2010, 04:39 PM

thats all I got

Cant thank you enough... got them messed up. i usualy just scoot them all off.:waving:

Buck_wheat
08-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Have a look. Some snakes ARE good to have around.
http://www.firemanjax.com/blacksnake/index.html

that was Awesome!

newjerseylandscaping
11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
A little late but i just came across this thred. I was camping at a boy scout camp in north jersey this weeken when we took a quick 20 min hike low and behold a kid point out a snake up ahead i saw it was a rattle snake and nearly jumped out of my skin when one of the younger kids tryed to run up on it, thank got for scout masters with fast reflexes,lol. thats jersey for ya,

cutterschoice24
11-02-2010, 10:43 PM
i see snakes all the time mostly black snakes and pygmy rattle snakes that have no rattle go figure but 3 weeks ago my guy was blowing off one of my properties and had me come look at a snake which he was holding with the blower so it really couldn't move it ended up being a coral snake one of the most deadly snakes in FL not very aggressive but still dangerous it had its own little hole in the mulch great i just mulched that oh well part of the territory be careful out there.

Trevor8
11-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Since I posted this I have killed 2 snakes. one which was a bull snake and the other a garter.

puppypaws
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Since I posted this I have killed 2 snakes. one which was a bull snake and the other a garter.

Why would you kill harmless snakes, snakes with no poisonous venom? :nono:

whosedog
11-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Why would you kill harmless snakes, snakes with no poisonous venom? :nono:

He's a big tough guy,it shows everyone what a big man he is!
... Many people don't know that a lot of snakes are on the protected,endangered species list and you can get a big fine for killing them.Also they are hunting for rats and mice so unless you want to be over run with vermin let them do their job.

cgaengineer
11-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't kill any snakes even poisonous, I will however relocate to poisonous ones to an area a few miles from my home. I'll round of the pics of a copperhead I captured a few houses down from me.
Posted via Mobile Device

puppypaws
11-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't kill any snakes even poisonous, I will however relocate to poisonous ones to an area a few miles from my home. I'll round of the pics of a copperhead I captured a few houses down from me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good Man! Snakes play an important role in our environment, but most people have the thought process that they are evil destroyers of mankind, and if it slithers across the ground you should always kill it. This mindset is promoted through lack of knowledge, as are all problems that arise with man.