PDA

View Full Version : beating a dead horse... I need a zero turn... help me

OKIE LAWNS
06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Guys, i mow mostly residential lawns and do some spraying. I live on 10 acres and have about 1-1/2 acres cleared out that gets mowed. I am hoping to pick up a couple of riding mower jobs next year.

I can't quite justify spending the money on a commercial zero turn.. What would be a good... or decent residential zero turn if i am only going to spend under 3k?

any help appreciated.

TheC-Master
06-17-2010, 04:07 PM
It wouldn't be recommended because you'll grow and it won't last with you, choose a used commercial with light hours or maybe a demoed one. That would be the better way to go.

Trevor8
06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
your best bet would be a snapper pro they are only around 5,000 for a commercial ztr

81Bronk36
06-17-2010, 05:19 PM
get something used in your price range

LandscapemanFL
06-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Best bet is finding a good used commercial unit.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Guys, i mow mostly residential lawns and do some spraying. I live on 10 acres and have about 1-1/2 acres cleared out that gets mowed. I am hoping to pick up a couple of riding mower jobs next year.

I can't quite justify spending the money on a commercial zero turn.. What would be a good... or decent residential zero turn if i am only going to spend under 3k?

any help appreciated.

You have the correct and best advice about getting a commercial mower. I know it's a lot of money up front. But the good men are trying to save you even more money in the long haul. A commercial mower will last 5 to 10 times longer than a good... or decent residential mower. A 500 hours residential mower to a 2,000 hour commercial mower. I was in the same boat last year. I went commercial for my 5 acres. I'm looking out the window waiting for the grass to grow. I went from 250 hours a year mowing my grass to less than 50 hours this past year. Now that's a BIG difference.

:drinkup:

OKIE LAWNS
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
You have the correct and best advice about getting a commercial mower. I know it's a lot of money up front. But the good men are trying to save you even more money in the long haul. A commercial mower will last 5 to 10 times longer than a good... or decent residential mower. A 500 hours residential mower to a 2,000 hour commercial mower. I was in the same boat last year. I went commercial for my 5 acres. I'm looking out the window waiting for the grass to grow. I went from 250 hours a year mowing my grass to less than 50 hours this past year. Now that's a BIG difference.

:drinkup:

wow that is amazing!

What about a cub cadet z-force 50" that has around 200 hours, and looks like in great shape? I found one in my price range, but not sure about the cub?

PMLAWN
06-21-2010, 02:55 PM
What about a walk with a velkey? Last forever, much cheaper, and if you grow and really need a Z you will than have the jobs to support it.

BINKY1902
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM
If you must buy a residential mower I would recommend the Ariens or Gravely heavy duty residential mowers. They have commercial features, and have a heavy duty deck for a residential.

OKIE LAWNS
06-21-2010, 03:24 PM
If you must buy a residential mower I would recommend the Ariens or Gravely heavy duty residential mowers. They have commercial features, and have a heavy duty deck for a residential.

what about the z-force i listed above? it is commercial?

mnglocker
06-21-2010, 03:31 PM

Disposable.

OKIE LAWNS
06-21-2010, 03:44 PM
really why do you say that?

mbrew
06-21-2010, 03:52 PM

I second this. I have an older Ariens that's done pretty good for about 10 years on a pretty rough acre. The new ones look really tough in comparison to mine. I don't think they're quite up to commercial standards but not way off. The Toro, John Deere and Cub in the same price range don't compare. Snapper has one I like too.

topsites
06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
1. You're in the wrong section.
2. You're not going to find a commercial grade Ztr for much under 8 grand, and that's lowballing.
3. If 3 thousand is too much you should have thought about that before buying 10 acres.
4. You can not just pick up one or two yards that will somehow magically pay for it,
trust me, been there, done that, doesn't work.

As for what you can do that I couldn't tell you, if I had the time I might but as you can see
I find homeowners barging in on the business owner's section irritating, maybe go talk to a dealer.

Thank you.

OKIE LAWNS
06-21-2010, 04:19 PM
1. You're in the wrong section.
2. You're not going to find a commercial grade Ztr for much under 8 grand, and that's lowballing.
3. If 3 thousand is too much you should have thought about that before buying 10 acres.
4. You can not just pick up one or two yards that will somehow magically pay for it,
trust me, been there, done that, doesn't work.

As for what you can do that I couldn't tell you, if I had the time I might but as you can see
I find homeowners barging in on the business owner's section irritating, maybe go talk to a dealer.

Thank you.

ha ha what an ass... :)

What do you expect when your on this site though...right...

1. I think if you read the section that this is in (Commercial & Residential Lawn Mowing) i think this exactly what i meant to post it in

2. sure buddy, i don't think that is the case.

3. If you would read the whole post before running your mouth you would see that i have only 1-2 acres cleared. I would just like to cut my time down, as i am running a small lawn business currently, and more time i can free up at my HOME i can do more lawns... I was thinking commercial for the fact that i might expand my business and pick up a few more lawns next season that are larger. Everything i read talks down on the resi zero turn mowers, so i am trying to look at a used commercial.

4. did i say anywhere in the post about that i need a few lawns to pay for it??? :nono:

So busy that you have time to hang out on a forum, don't kid yourself :)

MS_SURVEYOR
06-21-2010, 04:20 PM

No! No! And No!

:hammerhead:

RozarLawnCare
06-21-2010, 06:35 PM
So busy that you have time to hang out on a forum, don't kid yourself :)[/QUOTE]

So busy that he can post on average 10 times per day for the last 5 years! That has got to make you :laugh: I am with you he needs the hooked on phonics so he can understand what he reads!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ZTR_Diesel
06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Look at the Dixon range, if you want to buy new.

Otherwise, plenty of good used units out there, and they will cut down your mowing time (and step up the quaility.) Best off to be brand-blind and shop for good dealers first.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-21-2010, 07:11 PM

So busy that he can post on average 10 times per day for the last 5 years! That has got to make you :laugh: I am with you he needs the hooked on phonics so he can understand what he reads!:laugh::laugh::laugh:[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

So he can text at 8 mph from the blackberry! :laugh:

:cool2:

nepatsfan
06-21-2010, 07:22 PM
ha ha what an ass... :)

What do you expect when your on this site though...right...

1. I think if you read the section that this is in (Commercial & Residential Lawn Mowing) i think this exactly what i meant to post it in

2. sure buddy, i don't think that is the case.

3. If you would read the whole post before running your mouth you would see that i have only 1-2 acres cleared. I would just like to cut my time down, as i am running a small lawn business currently, and more time i can free up at my HOME i can do more lawns... I was thinking commercial for the fact that i might expand my business and pick up a few more lawns next season that are larger. Everything i read talks down on the resi zero turn mowers, so i am trying to look at a used commercial.

4. did i say anywhere in the post about that i need a few lawns to pay for it??? :nono:

LOL...you are dead on. He posts all day long he is so busy. That being said, dont buy a cub buy a used ztr for 3 grand or even a surfer or stander. You can get a pretty nice wright stander or great dane surfer for 3 grand. If not look for an older exmark, scag, bobcat or really and decent commercial sit down ztr. Its been said before....dont buy a residential mower if you are doing more than your own lawn or maybe yours and a couple neighbors. The reasons why, the hydro pumps are junk, you wont get the same guage deck, the spindels wont be as good. You wont have all the greasable parts, a lot of sealed bearings and stuff. It is tough to say each machine is different but if you are looking to pick up more than 4-5 lawns a week, its a must. Your sanity will depend on it when stuff starts breaking all the time. not worth the headaches. Good luck

LouisianaLawnboy
06-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Get a good solid used commercial unit.