PDA

View Full Version : sodding

Gr8WhiteNorth
06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Question to those who do new development housing-

How deep do you install your topsoil?
How much do you estimate before and after compaction?

How many cubic yards can you spread and fine grade per hour?

Laying sod per hour per square yard?

andyslawncare
06-17-2010, 10:06 PM
What kind of equipment, and how much help do you have?

Charge for sod: $150 + price of pallet + delivery works for us. 504 sq. ft. per pallet

Speed all depends on equipment you have available and where the pallets are staged in the yard. A good crew of 4 should be able to lay 20 pallets in a day.

we lay sod on clay usually, so that marks out the top soil question for me.

Gr8WhiteNorth
06-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Interesting that you lay it on clay. We use peat or mineral based sod and spread 4 inches of topsoil (after compaction) on the site. We'd save a ton of money laying it on clay.

Superior L & L
06-18-2010, 10:04 PM
I always talk customers out of sod if possible! But if I have to install it I call a sodding company. They come in with 10 mexicans and do it cheap than I could possibly do it for
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
06-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Dept of Agriculture studies here (UGA) show that planting in native soil is best for root development and drought tolerance. I do amend seasonal flower beds with 25% by volume-usually 4'' organic compost tilled to 1'. Other than annuals, we plant and lay sod in clay. Its a real bisnitch too. Right now we're in the middle of a 9 zone irrigation system and the clay is like rock right now its so hot! Clay is all we have here south of Atlanta!

I find that if a lawn is not doing well that a good core aeration and top dressing with USGA 90/10 does the trick pretty quick. Its 90% sterile sand, and 10% organic material/fertilizer

andyslawncare
06-19-2010, 02:20 AM
I always talk customers out of sod if possible! But if I have to install it I call a sodding company. They come in with 10 mexicans and do it cheap than I could possibly do it for
Posted via Mobile Device

you are just as capable of hiring 10 guys to do sodding jobs for a higher charge!

I pocket $120-150 per pallet, easy!

Superior L & L
06-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Sure u can make 100 a pallet if your only doing one pallet. If I'm more than $2.50 a yard finish grade and sod I'd never land a job around here. So hire a company to do it for $1.75 a yard make $1500.00 on a 2000 yd job and keep my three crews on more profitable Jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Superior L & L
06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Oh and why would i deal with the hassel of hiring 10 extra guys just for a job or two, talk about a waste of time.
I only have so many production hour available per year based on our budget and Equipement, so o don't really want to waste these hours on low profit sod jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
06-20-2010, 06:54 PM
20 pallets of sod with $150 paid to you after materials in one day is not a low profit job.
Pay guys $13/hr... Make $2,000 profit.

I have several guys trained to lay sod that I keep on call. Most of them are part time. I have 3 full timers on the landscaping crew that are very good at it...