PDA

View Full Version : what do you do when your employee breaks windows

steveo01111
06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
hey guys i am just wondering what you guys do when your employees break sliding glass windows are other stuff on peoples house ....it costs us money but at the same time we hired them and they wouldn't have broken it if we didn't so i feel bad taking money from them cuz $#!* happens but it seems to be happening often so I'm just wondering what you all do i am licensed and insured but something like that will get your dropped if you make claims all the time

thanks

2001FZ1
06-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Start a new policy where the employee pays half the repair costs.

LandscapemanFL
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
2001 has a idea there. In most cases you should just pay for the window or broken item, unless it is more than the deductible. Otherwise get your insurance phone number on speed dial.

mdlwn1
06-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Lol.....soo you tell a guy to trim near a window...then the window breaks...and you make him pay? It doesnt take much thought to understand what the incentive is. If you make them pay...they wont trim. Unless it's habitual, you work with them to explain why the window is broken..or just get a clockwise rotating trimmer. YOU pay for it...lololol.

THEGOLDPRO
06-17-2010, 07:08 PM
question: what do you do when your employee breaks windows??

answer: we fix the window.

CLARK LAWN
06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
you guys know it is illegal to make an employee pay for broken windows, dont you?

if it happens often then you need to either train him better or replace him but in no way can you make them pay for it.

mbrew
06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
you guys know it is illegal to make an employee pay for broken windows, dont you?

if it happens often then you need to either train him better or replace him but in no way can you make them pay for it.

That may well depend on where you are. Here, if the policy is spelled out and the deduction does not cause them to drop below minimum wage you can backcharge things like that. If you're already at or close to minimum wage you probably can't do itm at least legally.

With that said. My opinion is that he's your employee acting on your instruction when the damage happens, and its your responsibility to handle it. I'm probably having a discussion with him and as long as it didn't seem negligent and its an isolated incident, I'm letting it go with that. If he was horsing around or if these problems seem to find him, I'm letting him go and I'll have documentation as to why.

clydebusa
06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Since I do remodel work, if I can I will fix it. Or have a glass guy come and do it. You should be able to find someone reasonable to do it. And in Oklahoma it would be illegal to back charge the employee. If you do reviews and pay raises that is the time to address the money side of this issue. Also, you need to keep track of the good times as well as the bad. But that is another story!!!!!!!

mark123
06-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Start a new policy where the employee pays half the repair costs. ... and where you share half of the profits from the business with him. :p Hey, fair is fair. :D

Unless the employee has broken a window on purpose the business owner pays.

unit28
06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
In 20 plus years {in TX} I've never missed training an
emploee on equipment they use.

That said, I've paid for all 2 of them that broke.

Tiny Rock hits glass and you hear that crack. It spider webs out and all you can do is watch it.
And then kiss that money good bye to have it fixed.

Cutgrassfast
06-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Sue the manufacturer of the equipment that threw the rock. Some stupid lawyer or judge would get you all the money you want:hammerhead:

That or wait for Obama to pay for the window:laugh: