PDA

View Full Version : Property Management Companies

jlcrss
06-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Hello, I am new the site and lawn care business. I run a small one man operation. I have been advertising on craigslist and have been receiving calls from a couple people representing property management companies. Some are requiring information from me to do a background check and other various pieces of info. Can you guys advise if I should stay away from these guys or are they mostly legit. I don't really want to provide info other than Federal Id number and business insurance info and I don't want to end up mowing for free. Any help would be appreciated.

jlcrss
06-17-2010, 09:51 PM
bump for reply

Darryl G
06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
How can we possibly know who is contacting you? You have more info than we do to base a decision on.

jlcrss
06-17-2010, 09:59 PM
How can we possibly know who is contacting you? You have more info than we do to base a decision on.

I am not really asking about who specifically is contacting me. I am asking about the scenario. I am also wondering if there are any success stories or horror stories in dealing with someone out of state. Any help would be appreciated.

FLAhaulboy
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Be careful re Craigs List. If a local management company contacted you, & they have a local office, tell them you'll drop by and provide the needed info. Never ever provide any INFO over the phone or by email because you really have no idea if its a legit business company or a scammer.

jlcrss
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah I have pretty much been handling it this way.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
06-18-2010, 11:52 PM
i do work for a property management company. the work is good, but i would meet with the property manager first. dont do the take picture before and after most of those dont pan out. but it up to your discretion. but most property management requires you to carry half mill liability insurance to work for them

jlcrss
06-19-2010, 08:55 AM
i do work for a property management company. the work is good, but i would meet with the property manager first. dont do the take picture before and after most of those dont pan out. but it up to your discretion. but most property management requires you to carry half mill liability insurance to work for them

Insurance isn't an issue for me. Im just not comfortable doing business with someone unless I can do it face to face.

lawnsofmerritt
06-19-2010, 07:47 PM
We have had success with them they actualy threw alot of work at us all at once. all of them like safeguard and such do require $1 mil minimum and tax id #'s

jlcrss
06-19-2010, 07:51 PM
We have had success with them they actualy threw alot of work at us all at once. all of them like safeguard and such do require $1 mil minimum and tax id #'s

Good info. Is the company you are dealing with out of state? I have a licensed business so I have a tax id number and insurance. How was the most important part getting paid?

lawnsofmerritt
06-19-2010, 08:13 PM
We have delt with both in state and out of state companies. as far as getting paid we just recieved checks.. but some companies may have different polices and such. these are things you would need to discuss with the company you are dealing with.

Good luck,
Lawns of Merritt