PDA

View Full Version : Curb lines!

Total Grounds Maintenance
06-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I am trying to find the most efficient way to clean curb lines. ZT's with baggers just don't do a good enouph job. I am getting killed with leaves and tree debris in the street gutters. I can not blow it back on the lawn and bag either because it looks like crap and takes to long. Is it possible to use a tow behind leaf loader on the ZT and custom make an attachment to just ride along and suck up that way?

Matt Hermann
06-17-2010, 09:45 PM
pull a craftsman lawn sweeper behind you....

topsites
06-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Blow it to the other side of the street.

Dude...
F'it, bite the bullet, rake and a tarp, ONE time over and done.

mdlwn1
06-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Blowing it up onto the lawn first is exactly what you SHOULD do. If it looks like crap, you need some kind of lawn mower school.

ShooterK2
06-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Blowing it up onto the lawn first is exactly what you SHOULD do.

Exactly. Edge, trim, blow, then mow and bag. Then, if there's anything left, blow again. Lot's of times there's nothing left.

mdlwn1
06-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Exactly. Edge, trim, blow, then mow and bag. Then, if there's anything left, blow again. Lot's of times there's nothing left.

Surprised to hear this on here!....did we work for the same group or something?...lol

ShooterK2
06-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Nope! I've never worked for anyone in this line of work. But I've done things a bunch of different ways and found out what works for me, and this method works. I can't say that I do every lawn like this, but if I'm concerned about debris/clippings, this is the best way to do it, IMHO.

Just get the debris where the mower can pick it up, and then mow as usual.

Total Grounds Maintenance
06-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Guys,

these ain't little lawns we talking. If I were to blow these down and or shovel I would be there for 4-5 hours! Its like 1 point something miles of curbing! I know cause I did it today with 2 guys! To make it worse s#$*t keeps dropping looking worse than the last time I cleaned it up. I have to find a more efficient way of doing this cleanup. I absolutely cannot hire 2 extra guys to go out there to do this as its not in the (my) budget.

zo6
06-18-2010, 03:15 AM
blow it to the other side of the street.

Dude...
F'it, bite the bullet, rake and a tarp, one time over and done.

come on topsites... You must be joking

zo6
06-18-2010, 03:27 AM
guys,

these ain't little lawns we talking. If i were to blow these down and or shovel i would be there for 4-5 hours! Its like 1 point something miles of curbing! I know cause i did it today with 2 guys! To make it worse s#$*t keeps dropping looking worse than the last time i cleaned it up. I have to find a more efficient way of doing this cleanup. I absolutely cannot hire 2 extra guys to go out there to do this as its not in the (my) budget.

i mow in a development with very pristine lawns that have cobblestone curbing, you cant edge it its to rough, and being that i have 17 lawns in their alone its about a mile of curbing, i trim all the edges of curbing about every month and a half, and when im done,(on a non calm day) i walk along all the curbing spraying round up onto the top of the cobble stone, not on the lawn at all.... Make sure of that.... Nozzle directly on the stone, do not let your help do this!!!!!!! Then just wait for the next time you go and you'll have a very fine edge, (less than 1/4 inch to work with, i dont bill them for this, i simply bill for it when i edge the sidewalks once a month... And after doing this a few times, it looks as if you dont even need to edge, saves all taht trimming,and then you dont need to blow the street either.

dgw
06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
i mow in a development with very pristine lawns that have cobblestone curbing, you cant edge it its to rough, and being that i have 17 lawns in their alone its about a mile of curbing, i trim all the edges of curbing about every month and a half, and when im done,(on a non calm day) i walk along all the curbing spraying round up onto the top of the cobble stone, not on the lawn at all.... Make sure of that.... Nozzle directly on the stone, do not let your help do this!!!!!!! Then just wait for the next time you go and you'll have a very fine edge, (less than 1/4 inch to work with, i dont bill them for this, i simply bill for it when i edge the sidewalks once a month... And after doing this a few times, it looks as if you dont even need to edge, saves all taht trimming,and then you dont need to blow the street either.

they make wire brush stick edger attachments for stuff like that now

im really excited to get one (asphalt , special concrete, and SCHOOL TRACKS)

if you ever edged a school track with a trimmer you would know why im excited:laugh:

zo6
06-18-2010, 07:05 AM
they make wire brush stick edger attachments for stuff like that now

im really excited to get one (asphalt , special concrete, and school tracks)

if you ever edged a school track with a trimmer you would know why im excited:laugh:

ill bet. Who makes it.

dgw
06-18-2010, 07:08 AM
ill bet. Who makes it.

i forgot now, i read it in turf

i imagine it will catch on for all of them

any help?

dgw
06-18-2010, 07:10 AM
http://www.sportsturfonline.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=D8F75093CB80404FA422448FA5AD3D84&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=3D7BD310046D481A89583198C5C904F3

dgw
06-18-2010, 07:27 AM
and i know i read about it somewhere for normal stick edgers

zo6
06-22-2010, 02:22 AM
http://www.sportsturfonline.com/me2/audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=d8f75093cb80404fa422448fa5ad3d84&nm=&type=news&mod=news&mid=9a02e3b96f2a415abc72cb5f516b4c10&tier=3&nid=3d7bd310046d481a89583198c5c904f3

thanks dgw, i appreciate it and will be ordering one if possible for my red max. What type do you use, i love my red max trimmers,but not sure about the edger, nothing to compare it with though, but trimmers are both 7 years old with only changing plugs once, its ridiculous

dgw
06-22-2010, 03:14 AM
never owned one

kees walk behinds for commercials

trimmers for houses , tracks, asphault, brick, and special concrete

but now that i see this i will be buying one

redmax of course , as long as i can get the wire brush

been wantin to get one anyway for curbs

i just picked up a redmax 2650s and have a handful of 2601 s , can i stick an edger on one of those, do you know?

zo6
06-22-2010, 03:25 AM
never owned one

kees walk behinds for commercials

trimmers for houses , tracks, asphault, brick, and special concrete

but now that i see this i will be buying one

redmax of course , as long as i can get the wire brush

been wantin to get one anyway for curbs

i just picked up a redmax 2650s and have a handful of 2601 s , can i stick an edger on one of those, do you know?

im sure that there is one of them that you can stick a edger on although i dont know which one it is, but i will tell you that when i bought mine, i was gonna buy that one and the guy at my shop advised me not too,he said just get the reg one, being it was my first one, i listened, and if i remember right it was a bit cheaper but that may be cause i was gonna buy the pruners for iit as well. Basically i dunno dont go by me lol

dgw
06-22-2010, 03:36 AM
none of those are kombi type trimmers

is that what you meant?

zo6
06-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Ya, why are you on here so late dgw, you a dumbass like me who works midnights before you go out cuttin?

dgw
06-22-2010, 03:39 AM
you can put edgers and hedge trimmers on a couple of the regular trimmers

but the hedge trimmer attachments are 289

mine as well just buy em seperate

i think the edger is about 100

i would do that

dgw
06-22-2010, 03:40 AM
my birthday, finishing up a weekend celebration

zo6
06-22-2010, 03:54 AM
my birthday, finishing up a weekend celebration

nice, happy birthday, hope you got tomorrow then too. I got a new summer help kid startin tomorrow, he best look wide awake after sleepin all night..

Back to the edger though, i hope they make that wire wheel for it, thanks, i was due for some new type of toy to play with, i been in a slump, dying to get somethin new, want to go buy a 72 inch mower and sell my little 52, but its sooo much dough, dont know i can justify it.

dgw
06-22-2010, 04:01 AM
nice, happy birthday, hope you got tomorrow then too. I got a new summer help kid startin tomorrow, he best look wide awake after sleepin all night..

Back to the edger though, i hope they make that wire wheel for it, thanks, i was due for some new type of toy to play with, i been in a slump, dying to get somethin new, want to go buy a 72 inch mower and sell my little 52, but its sooo much dough, dont know i can justify it.

thanks, and no i start at 7 am sharp

luckily my first property i will be on the gravely for six hours straight

so ill be ok

if it makes you money do it

to be honest if you seen my mower picks they are beat up and old, but run good

mowing pays my overhead , my wifes "small " salary, and keeps my in with businesses that need alot of other things

so i dont buy to many new mowers

but if its your main money, i would do it

lifetree
06-23-2010, 02:51 AM
... i walk along all the curbing spraying round up onto the top of the cobble stone, not on the lawn at all ... Make sure of that ... Nozzle directly on the stone, do not let your help do this !!!!!!! Then just wait for the next time you go and you'll have a very fine edge, (less than 1/4 inch to work with, i dont bill them for this, i simply bill for it when i edge the sidewalks once a month... And after doing this a few times, it looks as if you dont even need to edge, saves all taht trimming,and then you dont need to blow the street either.

See, there really is a smarter way to skin a cat ... good work zo6 !!

zo6
06-23-2010, 03:15 AM
See, there really is a smarter way to skin a cat ... good work zo6 !!

it really does work pretty well, you just gotta be real easy with the trigger finger on the sprayer, and if your nervous the first time, mix your batch up a bit on the weak side

BUT I MUST SAY THAT WIRE WHEEL ON A STICK EDGER SSOUNDS NICE, AND EVEN QUICKER YET.

DONT MIND THE CAPS, I ALWAYS TYPE IN CAPS