PDA

View Full Version : how long do you run a mower? hrs? yrs?

joshnwright
06-17-2010, 09:42 PM
:usflag:I have a 5 yr old cub cadet tank 25 hp kaw with 850 hrs, 5 yr old 52" wb cub commercial 19 hp kaw w/500 hrs , and a 48" wb cub commercial 17 hp kaw w/450 hrs Im thinking about replacing the tank I use it alot and wanna know how long you all run yours and how old thay are thanks

THEGOLDPRO
06-17-2010, 09:46 PM
i buy a new machine every 2 years and rotote the next oldest one out of the lineup.

JohnBanks
06-17-2010, 09:47 PM
I run mowers two years and about 400 to 500 hours a year. Ran my 420 John Deere for forever before I started buying and trading in ztr..

joshnwright
06-17-2010, 10:06 PM
I like my tank but I guess its nickle and diming me maybe ill keep her around as a back up

topsites
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
My oldest lawn mower is a 1997, I haven't a clue how many hours are on it
but it has probably mowed 4-5 thousand yards easy, as time passed the rust
has eaten through parts of the deck you can see light coming through.

I'm not kidding, I used it today, all day.

It did cost me an hour getting out of the house because the front tire was leaking air,
turns out a piece of dirt or rust got stuck on the valve stem so after removing the wheel
and pulling the stem several short and strong bursts of air cleared that all up,
slapped a new stem in it, filled it up with air, popped it back on and gtg.

It dawned on me as I was working on it, I don't think I've ever replaced either caster tire.

watatrp
06-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I have a Lawnboy commercial 21". The back wheel just fell off. It's 11 years old. Guess it's done.

Springmeadows
06-17-2010, 10:41 PM
My oldest is a 1996, it has 2400 hrs. Still running & cutting great, no need to get rid of it. A new walker is just too expensive...

mdlwn1
06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
16hp walkers can go 2500 or more before rebuild. The liquid cooled motors can go 3-5000 hrs. My WB's with Kawi's dont have hour meters but will go a minium of 5 years running 20 hrs per week..soo at least 3000 hours...my last one I had for 7 years.

joshnwright
06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I cant keep a push mower, I bought a new TORO recycler 2 months ago the gearbox broke today:hammerhead:

PPS.inc
06-17-2010, 10:55 PM
got an 02 dixie with over 2000 hrs. does its job just like day 1. take care of them and your good to go...

joshnwright
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
it seems like it varys widly. my tank is kinda rouph I keep the maint up good but it seems like I have to work on it daily never any thing big just little stuff like this week Ive ajusted the PTO clutch, the seat safty switch went bad today, a belt you know little stuff but it kills my day the engine real strong though I need to put plugs in it but it dont burn a drop of oil. my wb's burn oil we check i every morning since I blew up my 52" last year :laugh:

Cutter1
06-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I get a new laser every year. I run three bigger ones. They are on a three year rotation. Get rid of the oldest one every year. Usually have 2k hours on it. The walker, smaller laser and walkbehinds I just keep running them till they die.

lawnboy dan
06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
i run them till they die-still waiting for my 93 toro t bar to die.

clydebusa
06-18-2010, 07:18 PM
I would suggest changing belts and hoses by doing PM work in the winter. I'm not sure on CC tanks, but I go through my Toro's and Exmarks and just replace stuff that looks worn. As far as seat safety switches, I would wire around it and go then fix in the off season,

Hoy landscaping
06-20-2010, 09:26 PM
run them into the ground. or until they start dying

MJB
06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
My Oldest is 1999 Exmark Lazer Z L?C Kawi 4200 hrs. I sold my 1992 GHopper last yr and 2 Walkers that old that were still being used part time.
Take care of it and they last and last. Unless they are a Hustler.

clif
06-20-2010, 10:46 PM
My Oldest is 1999 Exmark Lazer Z L?C Kawi 4200 hrs. I sold my 1992 GHopper last yr and 2 Walkers that old that were still being used part time.
Take care of it and they last and last. Unless they are a Hustler.

I noticed you operate both Exmark and Hustler zero turns... What do you not like about the Hustler brand? I'm curious because I have owned 2, and am eyeballing a Lazer Z in the future possibly. Heard they are expensive. I never owned any other commercial zero turn aside from hustler yet. I would be interested in your opinion as to which is an overall better machine... My mini z is ok, but in some situations I'm not impressed with the cut quality. Which would you want to use a Hustler Super Z or the Exmark Lazer Z? Did you have any issues with Hustler that caused them to fall apart too quickly... just wanted some insight so I can put a for sale sign on mine if I need to!!! :)

lifetree
06-20-2010, 11:04 PM
My oldest lawn mower is a 1997, I haven't a clue how many hours are on it but it has probably mowed 4-5 thousand yards easy, as time passed the rust has eaten through parts of the deck ...

topsites -- What brand is it ?? What engine does it have ?? ZTR or WB ?? If WB, belt drive or hydro ??

SchnabelLawnCare
06-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I believe topsites has a toro belt drive wb. He's said a few times before about how he runs it 8 hours a day without filling up on gas. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Flex-Deck
06-21-2010, 12:04 AM
I run the 4wd X748 JDs ( one is actually a X595 - bought in 2004 - has 3110 hrs ) and one 997 Z with the 72" 7 iron deck - just got it - has 140 hrs on it. That 7 iron deck is probably the greatest cutting deck on the market today. In fact I purchased a 60" 7 iron for one of the 748's. It takes half the power, and mows 4 times as good.

BadRancher
06-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Run it till it dies. Gettin new ones every year adds overhead and reduces profit. When it dies, use your back up, then go get a new one. Even if you are trading them in, you are losing money.

jwsland
06-21-2010, 02:19 AM
My older lazer z 60inch, kohler 25hp has 4500hrs and runs great, many more hrs left in it. Parts eventually wear-out but that normal. Start off with a good machine, take care of it and it'll take care of you.

MJB
06-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I noticed you operate both Exmark and Hustler zero turns... What do you not like about the Hustler brand? I'm curious because I have owned 2, and am eyeballing a Lazer Z in the future possibly. Heard they are expensive. I never owned any other commercial zero turn aside from hustler yet. I would be interested in your opinion as to which is an overall better machine... My mini z is ok, but in some situations I'm not impressed with the cut quality. Which would you want to use a Hustler Super Z or the Exmark Lazer Z? Did you have any issues with Hustler that caused them to fall apart too quickly... just wanted some insight so I can put a for sale sign on mine if I need to!!! :)

Exmark is way better than Hustler in cut quality and dependability. My Hustler has been in the shop more than all my other mowers combined. Exmarks are very reliable but you still need a good dealer. I'm leaning away from Exmark and towards the Bad Boy Outlaw more an more. But only time will tell on the Outlaws dependability, but it is very well built. Right now Hustler is on the bottom of my list with say a Dixon or something. They have to make more changes in the Super Z for me to ever try them again.

clif
06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Exmark is way better than Hustler in cut quality and dependability. My Hustler has been in the shop more than all my other mowers combined. Exmarks are very reliable but you still need a good dealer. I'm leaning away from Exmark and towards the Bad Boy Outlaw more an more. But only time will tell on the Outlaws dependability, but it is very well built. Right now Hustler is on the bottom of my list with say a Dixon or something. They have to make more changes in the Super Z for me to ever try them again.

Thanks for the info, why are you leaning towards the Bad Boy line, is it price? I'm seriously considering an Exmark as my next machine, because of cut quality mostly. I've never used a Bad Boy but I just can't get over the look of them, wish they had picked a better color and better looking frame, looks like a Dixie Chopper, very boxy. But I guess looks aside if it cuts good, and runs good, then it must be good, right? lol

MJB
06-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the info, why are you leaning towards the Bad Boy line, is it price? I'm seriously considering an Exmark as my next machine, because of cut quality mostly. I've never used a Bad Boy but I just can't get over the look of them, wish they had picked a better color and better looking frame, looks like a Dixie Chopper, very boxy. But I guess looks aside if it cuts good, and runs good, then it must be good, right? lol

I don't have a close Exmark dealer. Exmark is getting to high priced. I'm tired of looking at Exmarks on my trailer , bored with them I guess.

I don't mind the looks of the BB Outlaw. What I'm looking for is a mower
with a good cut and 1 that will go downhill safely. My Exmarks are terrible when you point them downhill. They have to much reverse wheel spin or lack of reverse traction. I've had many different brands over the 20 yrs in business they all have the same problems on hills. Bad Boy made a better hill mower for $7995 I love the price too. I like the way the BB mowers fuel tanks open up for easier access when working on them too.

I was the first to get a zero turn in my city 18 yrs ago, and now the first to get a BadBoy Outlaw probably. I'm always a step ahead of everyone else in
this area mower wise. Sometimes for better or worse :laugh: Last mistake was buying a Hustler Super Z.

unkownfl
06-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Does your cub have the pumps on top of the engine plate or below?

joshnwright
06-22-2010, 11:26 PM
on top with fans

br549oicu8
06-22-2010, 11:35 PM
We usually sell our Zero Turns when the gas engines get about 1500 hours or so on them and the Diesel Kubotas around 2500-3000 hours. We still get decent resale as we service them regularly and my guys are held accountable for damage.

clif
06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't have a close Exmark dealer. Exmark is getting to high priced. I'm tired of looking at Exmarks on my trailer , bored with them I guess.

I don't mind the looks of the BB Outlaw. What I'm looking for is a mower
with a good cut and 1 that will go downhill safely. My Exmarks are terrible when you point them downhill. They have to much reverse wheel spin or lack of reverse traction. I've had many different brands over the 20 yrs in business they all have the same problems on hills. Bad Boy made a better hill mower for $7995 I love the price too. I like the way the BB mowers fuel tanks open up for easier access when working on them too.

I was the first to get a zero turn in my city 18 yrs ago, and now the first to get a BadBoy Outlaw probably. I'm always a step ahead of everyone else in
this area mower wise. Sometimes for better or worse :laugh: Last mistake was buying a Hustler Super Z.

Thank you so much for your wisdom, this is the kind of information I need. The Hustler Super Z was definitely one of my next choices, along with a Lazer Z. I'm tired of having to recut the same area twice because my mini z will leave trails of uncut grass sometimes (even with sharp blades). I am mulching most of the time, but this shouldn't matter. I try to cut no more than 1/3 the height of the grass when I cut....
If you do get a Badboy let me know how you like it and how it cuts and all. I hope they live up to the hype, because they are a lot easier on the pocketbook than a lot of other mowers out there. I like the big hp engines they offer along with high top end speed. They look like they would be simpler to work on too. I just replaced my mini z's pump drive belt, talk about a pain in the you know what! You need about four hands with super strength to stretch that damn tension spring around the belt! lol

joshnwright
06-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I used my buddys 60" bad boy it was ok but my cub is alot faster? even though his has 3 more hp

MJB
06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I used my buddys 60" bad boy it was ok but my cub is alot faster? even though his has 3 more hp

When comparing it helps if you clarify which BB which Cub. Bad Boy has 60" residential mowers too. Cub Tank or which one?

joshnwright
06-23-2010, 08:26 PM
his was the bad boy zt 60 and mine is a cub cadet tank m60

clif
06-23-2010, 10:11 PM
his was the bad boy zt 60 and mine is a cub cadet tank m60

The Bad Boy ZT 60 is only a residential mower rated @ 6mph, and it only weighs about 858lbs, which means it's a lighter duty machine. The Cub cadet Tank M60 is a full commercial mower, probably a couple thousand dollars more, and weighs about 1150lbs, made for heavy duty work, and likely has larger hydros so it would naturally be faster. Pretty much any full commercial machine can exceed 8 mph now a days with no problem, some even double this speed.

Please take no offense, but this comparison is like saying my buddy's Porsche is faster than my neighbor's Kia.

joshnwright
06-23-2010, 10:46 PM
I see what your saying I was just throwing it out there. I get alot of crap for running my cub around hear every one tells me I need an exmark

meets1
06-23-2010, 10:52 PM
4 z's all with gas engines. Trade out at least one in the spring and maybe land a good deal on a "last year model in the winter - so every 3 yrs something is new. Usually 1500 - 2000 hours.

the diesel machines - there run forever and I have yet to trade one in.

I have the toro Tbar Wb - if the meter is right 3400 hours. belt driven - replaced a total of 3, 2 tires, oil and filters that is it - guys love the machines.

As for wb's - go until they die or fall apart.

C4chris70
06-23-2010, 11:13 PM
2003 TT 22 liquid cooled Kawi has 2100 plus and still runs great. Had to replace hydros and radiator last year.