PDA

View Full Version : magna matic!!!

fatguy28
06-17-2010, 09:41 PM
it looks great i bet it work's awesome but there is no way I'm spending 1'500 on a blade sharpener I'm going to make something similar in my garage for maybe a 100 buck. and 1'100 for a blade cleaner what is wrong with these people ha haaaa

biggziff
06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
it looks great i bet it work's awesome but there is no way I'm spending 1'500 on a blade sharpener I'm going to make something similar in my garage for maybe a 100 buck. and 1'100 for a blade cleaner what is wrong with these people ha haaaa

There is a very good reason why they sell so many of these. If you're talented enough to build the same thing for $100 then good for you, but making fun of a solid company with a great track record on a great product is really, really lame. :hammerhead:

fatguy28
06-17-2010, 10:06 PM
im not making fun of it but man 1,500 bucks seams crazy to me

P.Services
06-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I must be crazy then because I've wanted one for a year and finally am ordering one this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

biggziff
06-17-2010, 10:11 PM

It's all perspective. The company that cleans and sharpens 10-30 blades a week or more will easily justify a cleaner and sharpener even at those prices. Time = money.

PTP
06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Well, you can get the 9000 for $630. That doesn't seem so bad.

fatguy28
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
well at this point for my biz i just can't justify it p. let me know how it work's for you if any one has one let me know if it's worth it honestly i would really like to know like i said it seems like a great product just a littel pricey *trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::drinkup:

Jay Ray
06-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, you can get the 9000 for $630. That doesn't seem so bad.

Very good machine. Just go to gators and forget the curved mulcher blades.

DLAWNS
06-18-2010, 12:01 AM
One of the best purchases I've ever made. Well worth the money.

P.Services
06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Everyone raves about these things, I know they are great.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOturkey
06-18-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a 9000. One of the best purchases I've made for my business, and I'm just a solo operator. I know everyone is on a budget, but anything that will make you more productive at doing anything, is worth every penny it costs, because, at some point in time, it will pay for itself.

big_belly4ever
06-18-2010, 12:33 AM
I got one last year when they did the 10 of us or more buy program for lawn site. they gave us a little break but he said why should they the make a good product it will sell. I thought it was steep to but now that i got it doesn't hurt it helps. I used a bench grinder I just hated when I ran out of blades and would sharpen all the sets.Usually I have 4 for each machine. Would not go back to bench grinder. now I"m sharpening blades faster and balancing. No vibrations and last a lot longer. I second the gator blades. One less thing to worry about and in this business. BUY one you'll like it.

ktoom
06-18-2010, 06:08 AM
I just ordered my 9000 on Monday. I am currently use a bench grinder and I can't wait to use the Magna Matic

punt66
06-18-2010, 06:53 AM
been using the same bench grinder for years. $1500 ppfftt

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM

Yeah, I agree, all that for a blade sharpener? CMON! I have thought about building my own too, and thought if I took an 8-10" bench grinder and fabricated the jig/sliding plate that they use on theirs, it wouldnt be that hard to do. I think alot of the cost is in the actual wheel, as if you look at the cost of a replacement wheel, they are a bit more than your average bench grinder wheel! If you are going to try to fab one, look at their website and use the schematic and parts breakdown to help you out, it should give a pretty good view of the jig/plate and how everything is set up. Good luck, post some pics if you build one, and I will do the same. Anyone else fabbed one that they are proud of and works like the real thing?

dwost
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm "just" a homeowner and justified $1,200 for the complete 9000 sharpening system which includes a stand and the balancer. Money well spent and it will last me (and my kids) a lifetime. Don't knock it till you try it, you may find the cost is not really that bad when you figure how much time and $ it will save you over its life span. :)

Mowing Freak
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
If it helps, look on ebay, they have them for a little less than the factory cost.

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Lets say you spend $1500. on one of these sharpeners, and a set of new blades is around $30, (for my 52"TTHP anyway), and say you replace the blades once per year(conservative I know, but..), and just sharpen with a angle grinder or regular bench grinder, you will be set for 50 years! Still think they are worth it? and in 50 years, how likely do you think it will be that they will be using the same types of mower blades anyway? The companies that build these things must have crazy profit margins, as I would bet they only cost a few hundred bucks to build, if that? But it seems everything in this industry is WAY overpriced, from 2 wheel sulkies selling for $300 and $400. to the many different types of trimmer and blower racks ranging from $200 to $600.!!! I know the average markup on products is around 300%, but it seems much higher in this industry?

Magna-Matic
06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Hello All,

I'd just like to clarify a few points.

We do not make a lawn mower blade sharpener for $1,500.
The MAG-9000 is $630
The MAG-8000 is $1,120

The MAG-9000 is primarily the lawn care pro unit, the MAG-8000 is designed for use by servicing dealers and sharpening shops.

Please take a peek at this information for your RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI)
http://www.magna-matic.com/pdf/ROI.pdf

Here is a thread discussing the difference in angle adjustment
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=320497&highlight=30+degree+angle

Please keep in mind bench grinders are designed to sharpen machine tooling, while they've been marketed in the big box stores as all purpose grinder; the design, wheel type, motor type, etc the bench grinder is intended to remove a small amount of material from a very hard steel. Lawn mower blades range from 20 to 40 rockwell hardness, this in the scope of steel hardness is quite soft. This causes many of the heat, burning, slow performance, and inconsistent results people get when sharpening mower blades with bench grinders or angle grinders.

Just keep in mind we have done significant research and development to create a USA made product that is industrial in design and duty cycle to increase the productivity and repeatable consistent quality of lawn mower blade service.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic
06-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello All,

I'm going to make a quick "soap box" post.

I have always wondered why a landscaper/lawn care pro will spend any where from $5,000 to $20,000 on a commercial mower, THEN want to use a bench grinder or make their own rather than invest in professional equipment.

All rotary lawn mowers rotate a blade, the condition of that blade is the MOST directly contacting component of your mower to your END SERVICE PRODUCT - a beautifully cut lawn.

I'm confused as to why a $630 equipment purchase to maintain a $5,000 - $20,000 piece of equipment is not justifiable. Especially since our sharpeners outlast the commercial mowers they service.

In the last 2 years a surprising trend has been happening, as more home owners grow tired of the cheaply made big box lawn tractors, and move to zero turns and other commercial mowers, we have seen a great deal of home owners buy our equipment for just their one personal mower.

I'm not trying to flame or make a post to aggravate anyone, I fully understand every business has to live by a budget and manage responsibly to be profitable. I can only ask that when it comes time to research a professional lawn mower blade sharpener, balancer, or cleaner; that you please consider Magna-Matic as one of the possibilities.

Thank you,

dwost
06-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Hello All,

I have always wondered why a landscaper/lawn care pro will spend any where from $5,000 to $20,000 on a commercial mower, THEN want to use a bench grinder or make their own rather than invest in professional equipment.

All rotary lawn mowers rotate a blade, the condition of that blade is the MOST directly contacting component of your mower to your END SERVICE PRODUCT - a beautifully cut lawn.

I'm confused as to why a $630 equipment purchase to maintain a $5,000 - $20,000 piece of equipment is not justifiable. Especially since our sharpeners outlast the commercial mowers they service.

In the last 2 years a surprising trend has been happening, as more home owners grow tired of the cheaply made big box lawn tractors, and move to zero turns and other commercial mowers, we have seen a great deal of home owners buy our equipment for just their one personal mower.

I'm not trying to flame or make a post to aggravate anyone, I fully understand every business has to live by a budget and manage responsibly to be profitable. I can only ask that when it comes time to research a professional lawn mower blade sharpener, balancer, or cleaner; that you please consider Magna-Matic as one of the possibilities.

Thank you,

Very well put, and as stated before I fit your description of the homeowner trend to a tee.

biggziff
06-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Hello All,

I have always wondered why a landscaper/lawn care pro will spend any where from $5,000 to $20,000 on a commercial mower,

Have you ever wondered how many homeowners with commercial equipment might spring $300 for a sharpener, but wouldn't consider $630? I spent $300 on my chainsaw sharpener and would spend that on a mower blade sharpener without hesitation, but for $630 or more I cannot justify it. Could be a nice market segment for you.

punt66
06-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Hello All,

Thank you,

so why exactly would i need to spend 600-1100 on a sharpener that my 20 year old bench grinder can do in a few minutes? What am i missing here? Also a blade sharpener does not make the money like a commercial mower. Thats like saying "why would you buy a new car and not spend $3000 on a car lift to maintain it". I can change my oil with a jack and sharpen my blades with a bench grinder. But thank you to all who proudly spend their money in this economy. BTW, i am not doubting your product is good.

Magna-Matic
06-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Hello All,

There are many differences between the bench grinder and our sharpeners.

But rather than drone on about specs and comparisons the main point or reason for our equipment is a drastic reduction in labor time and consistency of the job.

Yes it is completely possible to sharpen a mower blade with a bench grinder, angle grinder, hand-file, etc. However to consistently produce a 30 degree angle with a proper tip and do it in 1-2 minutes seconds is just not possible on those other sharpening options, including the Chinese made $300 blade grinders.

If you have 3 mowers with 3 blades each you could sharpen them with our equipment in 10 minutes or 45 minutes with the more manual free-hand methods. (I'm being generous at 5 min a blade with other methods.) What is your labor rate? It should be applied to equipment maintenance.

The automotive analogy isn't bad, but it misses the issue of quality, a $3,000 lift would also make you more efficient (reducing labor time), but the lift does not ensure a level of quality of the oil change. An expensive car lift does not prevent you from using the wrong grade oil or not changing the filter. Also note the type of oil or how quickly you change your oil has no effect on the lawn care pro's END SERVICE PRODUCT (a beautiful cut lawn). The truck that you changed the oil on will get you to the jobsite, so it is integral to doing the job, but the truck does not determine quality of the cut on the lawn.

I'm stating that there will be a labor cost savings and a quality improvement and consistency with our lawn mower blade sharpeners. So it will indeed make money by reducing labor costs and maintaining quality. It can also be stated that when the blade is consistently re-sharpened at 30 degrees the lawn mower blade will also last longer because you are only removing the material necessary to sharpen and no more. Any free-hand grinding (angle grinders/bench grinders) its intensely difficult to achieve a consistent angle, by changing the angle every sharpening you greatly reduce the life of the blade. So annual mower blade costs can be impacted as well.

Thank you,

crawford_d
06-18-2010, 03:13 PM
You might think you can build one for 100 bucks but you are kidding your self if your time is worth nothing. And even if you don't figure in something for your time the parts you use have to have some value and if your figure closely you mightbe surprised the cost of it all.
i know because I did it myself and the only thing I did was use the stones they sell and they do a great job. I will have there machine some day too.

Magna-Matic
06-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Hello Biggziff,

I'm not sure if it was a question directed at me, but I'll answer.

YES, we have done a lot of research and development on a homeowner $300-$400 price point sharpener.

Here is the problem - Magna-Matic refuses to use a motor made in China.

We have gone through many creative designs, motor sizes, manufacturers, and etc. We even looked at a Polish made motor, but nothing could get the cost of the complete unit so that we could hit that price point.

Magna-Matic takes great pride in American quality, and to sacrifice our brand to hit a price point is not something we are entertaining. We're just far to proud how much people love our eqiupment and how heavy-duty it is.

A nice little story, I had a gentleman call to order a wheel for a MAG-9000 that was about 7 years old, his good friend had just passed away and left him the MAG-9000 in his will. He had always admired the MAG-9000, the two friends would get together and sharpen their blades hang-out and talk in the garage. He was flattered when his friend left it to him, and meant a lot to him. -- A month ago a man called asking if we could refurbish his dad's old MAG-1000 who recently passed. He was having it rebuilt as a gift to his brother, cause as kids they remebered it was their father's most prized tool due to its accuracy. We proudly rebuilt the nearly 50 year old balancer.

Sure those are not stories we hear often; sharpening and balancing lawn mower blades is not the most spectaular task there is in life, but doing anything with excellence is quite enjoyable.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic
06-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Hello All,

One item to mention to add to the points made by crawford_d.

All Magna-Matic tools and equipment are designed to the safety standards of ANSI (American National Standards Institute) they set the set the safety standards that OSHA uses to make policy.

Full spark guards (with vacuum attachments for respiration protection)
Enclosed guarded design not exposing more than 1/4 of the wheel
ANSI spec grinding wheel arbor matched to wheel diameter
Additionally we have Norton test all of our wheels at 5200 RPM, eventhough our sharpeners run at 3450 RPM.

A grinding wheel can fail and break apart on any grinder, look at how our sharpeners are enclosed and the operator does NOT stand in the direction of the wheel. We also do not use dual direction motors.

I had a customer experience a wheel that failed and flew apart in a MAG-8000, he was trying a grinding wheel he got from some other company. He told me that the MAG-8000 contained all of the wheel that broke apart inside the MAG-8000. He thanked us for designing the sharpener that way, because with a bench grinder he could have been seriously injured.

Grinding metal can be a very dangerous process and safety should not be compromised.

Thank you,

punt66
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Its a great thing your 100% american! You should be proud of that. But after so many years of practice on a bench grinder i really doubt you will save me much time. If you built a grinder at a more reasonable price then you would sell a ton.

Magna-Matic
06-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Hello punt66,

I believe we could sell a ton too, and we haven't given up on a lower cost unit, we just have to wait for a low cost USA made power plant. We keep searching. :)

Thank you,

maelawncare
06-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Just give up on trying to convince him. Some people are just to stubborn or have to much time on their hands and dont need to save any.

punt66
06-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Just give up on trying to convince him. Some people are just to stubborn or have to much time on their hands and dont need to save any.

and you know all about me ha? :rolleyes:

dwost
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I think there is A LOT to be said of an OEM mfg. like MM that puts so much effort not only into their product but also hangs out on here and is willing to answer any questions that is thrown at them. There is no ducking or dodging just straight forward information. I wish more companies had this same philosophy as many have lost it. Keep up the great work, I'll tell you right now my boys will be using mine well after I'm planted in the ground :)

Triple D
06-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Go to MM site they have a demo section, that you can save a few bucks. I bought a demo unit late last year along with a balancer. I did build my own stand to cut cost. I have been in business for 8 years and always used a hand grinder. Folks this is some of the best money I have ever spent. If it was to get destroyed by fire or some other means tonight, I would not hesitate to order one in the morning. For the guys that say it is to high I say it is underpriced. I have paid for the machine probably 2 times since the begining of the season.

Triple D

MikeKle
06-19-2010, 12:24 AM
so why exactly would i need to spend 600-1100 on a sharpener that my 20 year old bench grinder can do in a few minutes? What am i missing here? Also a blade sharpener does not make the money like a commercial mower. Thats like saying "why would you buy a new car and not spend $3000 on a car lift to maintain it". I can change my oil with a jack and sharpen my blades with a bench grinder. But thank you to all who proudly spend their money in this economy. BTW, i am not doubting your product is good.

I realize we dont agree most of the time, but concerning this, I totally agree with you! But I use a 4" angle grinder, and it does a great job on my blades, and takes only minutes to do one mower with 3 blades, plus, I have had my blades sharpened by the dealer a few times before, and they used their magna matic, and truly I couldnt tell the difference in the quality (versus my angle grinder), of the mowed grass? So, for me, it is not justifiable, or even needed, but that is just me? And many homeowners that have commercial mowers, they will usually just buy new blades when they are worn out, so most wouldnt buy a big pricey sharpener in my opinion.

Lbilawncare
06-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Once you try a Magna-Matic you will see what all the hype is about. I love the vacuum attachment, keeps the dust from going everywhere (including my lungs). There are no cheap components to the machine.

SouthSide Cutter
06-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Never seen or used one. Always used a flap disc and a seven penny nail. Now I know some say you cant balance them this way. But Ive weighed fish with digital scales and then checked them with a balance beam (which all the pros use in big bass tourneys) and theres no difference on the scale. And this probably aint as good as the nail in my shop.
Some people dont know what 30 degrees is, and some will cut their fingers off with a hand grinder. And some shouldnt even be taking their blades off to start with.
I applaud MM for using all USA parts. And making something it would be hard for a monkey to screw up. I will just have to wait and see one in operation before I will pay that type of money for it.

Magna-Matic
06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Hello All,

Thank you for the comments both positive and critical.

We value objective input from lawnsite members, it aids us in new designs and to constantly develop the products. Regarding the lower cost units, as I mentioned earlier it will be quite a difficult thing to achieve without making something we would not be proud of.

Regarding the PENNY NAIL and FISH SCALE. A rotary part such as a lawn mower blade must be balanced from the point it spins upon - the center of the hole. Visualize a crossahair and the center point is where you have to be balancing from. A nail sits on the top of the hole, and this will provide an incorrect reading.

Balance is the equalization of weight. If you cut the blade in half and weighed each piece - and they were the same - the blade would be in balance horizontally. But since we cannot cut blade in half you need an instrument that can indicate weight differences in rotation.

See here for some more info:
http://www.magna-matic.com/page/nail-wall-not-balancer

Here is another example - large brush cutting mowers that have two blades that swing out from a hub can be balanced by just weighing the two swing out blades. If they are the same weight they are in balance (assuming the hub they connect two has not lost material to put it out-of-balance.)

Thank you,

jemvai
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Well after about a year contemplating getting a sharpener I bought one, a mag 9000 , i put it off because of the price and trying to justify the cost. When i started i had a shop sharpen my blades,(lasted once) and when installed they vibrated like crazy, so i purchased a balancer from magna matic, and got a old bench grinder from dad. sharpened my own since then, but always had issues with the 30 degree angle, and would have to grind off more than i should, after sharpening 14 blades today this thing is awesome soo easy and fast perfectly straight edges , just like the factory , I love this thing. really easy to use etc. no regrets , just my 2 cents

lilweeds
07-01-2010, 10:01 PM
It will save anyone a ton of time, and do it in a much safer way which everyone should appreciate. I had my blades sharpened elsewhere and the angles were always way off. I've had mine for a year, sharpen my blades every 8-12 hours and I'd say the thing has certainly paid for itself.

427 BB
07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I just got a price from a dealer for the Mag 8000 and Mag 1000 Blade balancer for $1125.00 shipped. Is this a good price or can they do better?

dwost
07-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I believe that is about what you will pay from MM direct. I paid 1200 shipped for my 9000 but it was the full sharpening station with the sharpener, balancer, and stand.

cut level
07-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Hello All,

I'm confused as to why a $630 equipment purchase to maintain a $5,000 - $20,000 piece of equipment is not justifiable. Especially since our sharpeners outlast the commercial mowers they service.In the last 2 years a surprising trend has been happening, as more home owners grow tired of the cheaply made big box lawn tractors, and move to zero turns and other commercial mowers, we have seen a great deal of home owners buy our equipment for just their one personal mower.

Thank you,

This makes so much sense there is no rebuttal really. I have been grinding on a bench grinder for years and no matter how precise I try and get em I personally can tell a wee wee bit of difference in the cut. Still looks great to the customer but over time the constant bench grinding there is no way you are gonna get a level cut. A small investment to make to get a consistent great looking level cut. I am on a small level as I do this on the side. I upgraded equipment 18 months ago by $14,000 and have that paid down to 3,000 as of today this decision is a dadgum NO BRAINER! I spent 500 on a new stick edger to make my edging super linear why would I drop 600 to make my finished product look superior? IMO there is no decision but to do it. If I dont I feel like I am shortchanging my customer, my mower ability, and my product.

I just found this site and joined and I already like the tips I have picked up on this site and found a way to enhance my finished product.

Hello to all and I am in West Tennessee. :usflag:

dwost
07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey CutLevel, welcome to the forums!

Magna-Matic
07-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Welcome Cutlevel,

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you,

Glenn Lawn Care
07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
They are the best blade sharpener out there IMO!

CQ_DX
07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I found out about this thread after a few posts over at the Magna_Matic forum. I came here to add my thoughts.

First off, I own a blade sharpening busines for commercial and residential users, and have been sharpening for over 50 years.

SHARPENING -
The first blade I ever sharpened was done using a file. Then it was bench grinders of various types for years, and then other "machines" - and finally, the MAG-8000. Nothing is as precise in achieving the desired 30 degree edge. Nothing is consistent along the ENTIRE cutting edge as the 8000. Not ANY bench grinder, certainly not a right angle grinder, and (snicker) not even a file. Try to get a CONSISTENT, uniform, same 30 degree angle ALL the way along EVERY blade type and the only machine which can do this is the MAG-8000. The MAG-9000 comes close, but it too cannot do ALL blade types.

CLEANING -
We previously used DeWalt right angle grinders fitted with cup brushes. We used custom designed and fabricated blade fixtures to ensure the blade was not only secure, but could be rotated thgen flipped quickly. I used to think what we used was fast - until we purchased the MAG-12008. This is a beast. And it is one very fast beast when cleaning regularly serviced blades (commercial) rather than 5 year old-never-been-sharpened home owner blades. It's fast as it's cleaning TWO sides at same time. You cannot accurately balance a blade unless it's perfectly clean.

BALANCING -
First, how fast do you think your blade tips are spinning? Anywhere from a low of 178 MPH upwards to 225 MPH (some are much faster). Would you hang a car tire on a nail to balance it? Why not as it's the SAME principle with a blade ... both MUST be balanced from the center of rotation and not at some offset point. And would you take a mud caked tire in to be balanced? If you wouldn't, now think blades and why they MUST be exceptionally clean to achieve an accurate balance.

Some of you will say what I use is "good enough". Sorry, that is not in my vocabulary as "good enough" won't hack it if you pack parachutes for a living. OK, so this analogy is a bit strong ... or is it? Many Americans have lost the desire to excell in what they do. Dumbing-down of America? Perhaps. But my point is, there is ALWAYS room to improve, but to inprove means you have to have the desire to be better - to produce a better product than your competition for if you don't you may lose out to the other guy.

In our sharpening business, we have always looked to be better - to be better than "the other guy".

Check out my reviews on the Magna_Matic products and look at the photos I've posted.

With enough people asking for more photos >>> over at the other forum where my pictures are posted and NOT here <<< I'd be happy to put up more pictures.

BOTTOM LINE -
I sure wish I found out about their products prior to this Spring. It did not take me long to reach the decision to invest in the best capital equipment out there. I'd buy Magna-Matic all over again.

Whatever you guys use is up to you - it's your budget, your time, and your decisions.
For us, Magna-Matic was the solution. Here are the links to where I hang out and the photos I mentioned:

MAG-12008 Review:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=321413

MAG-8000, MAG-1000, MAG-10300 ("Lot 4") Review:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316469

Regards, Bill

tjlco
07-26-2010, 03:17 PM
I have a love...hate thing with my magna 8000....I love that I can sharpen one blade in about a minute..I still hate sharpening blades.....