PDA

View Full Version : customer not paying

Butler Landscaping
06-18-2010, 12:08 AM
so i have this customer that ive been mowing her yard since i was 12 (im 17 now) and i charge her $120/month to do regular cuts and fertilize it and trim the hedges. she is in the army and she went overseas. the problem is she hasnt paid me in 2 months but since she has been such a good customer i havent stopped mowing it yet. im not sure what to do, should i keep mowing it and give her a HUGE bill when she gets back or should i just stop mowing it? i really like this lady but i cant work for free!

Big C
06-18-2010, 03:40 AM
If she is still overseas I would try to reach her via email maybe and continue to mow....if she is home and ignoring your calls/emails/texts.....cut her off and contact her 1st SGT and let them know about the situation....you'll get your $$$$

topsites
06-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Yup, try what BigC said.

It is VERY possible that if she is overseas it is not for lack of her wanting to pay you,
more than likely and especially with as long as you have been servicing the property,
more than likely they are experiencing a delay in mail.

This is not at all unusual, at least when I was in Desert Storm we might have got
mail once every 30-45-60 days, granted I don't recall the exact time frames but I
can tell you mail calls were few and far in between.

Being that she's in the service, I would personally lay my trust in her, again especially
being the length of time you've been servicing the yard as well.

And hope I am right lol because I'd sure hate to get bad karma out of it too.

MOturkey
06-18-2010, 07:47 AM
In most cases, I'd advise you to discontinue service. In this situation, I'd give her some slack, especially since you have had a working relationship for several years. It may be due to a situation beyond her control, and if not, I still suspect she has more to worry about than her lawn bill.

Personally, I'd continue cutting expecting no compensation, then, if she does pay up in the future, which I suspect she will, it will be nice getting a few hundred bucks all at once, and if not, you can pat yourself on the back for helping out one of those who protect and serve.

lawnsofmerritt
06-18-2010, 08:35 AM
In most cases, I'd advise you to discontinue service. In this situation, I'd give her some slack, especially since you have had a working relationship for several years. It may be due to a situation beyond her control, and if not, I still suspect she has more to worry about than her lawn bill.

Personally, I'd continue cutting expecting no compensation, then, if she does pay up in the future, which I suspect she will, it will be nice getting a few hundred bucks all at once, and if not, you can pat yourself on the back for helping out one of those who protect and serve.

I'd have to agree...

Robert Pruitt
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM

kudos for MOturkey.

mbrew
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Most people overseas have very good communication with home nowadays. It's not at all like it was back during Desert Storm. I'd see if I could get her contact info. Did you have an email address for her? Chances are good she can still access that address although it might be sporadically.

Like the others, I would likely continue service, but I might consider reducing the frequency level of service etc.

good luck.
Mike (a recently retired GI)

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Do you know how long she knew about having to go overseas? Im surprised she didnt talk to you before she left and make payment arrangements, unless it was a spur of the moment thing, but usually they know some time in advance about their deployments, I would try emailing, regular mail will take forever and she may not get it until august!!

land_scaper70
06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
I mow for a women who is in the service, too. She pays while home when she goes over seas to protect our freedom and liberties, I expect no payment from her at all, it is the least I could do for her putting her life out there for my family. The 20 minutes it take me to do her account is well worth her time of maintaining my ability to communicate on the internet and watch live world cup soccer.

Trevor8
06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
I mow for a women who is in the service, too. She pays while home when she goes over seas to protect our freedom and liberties, I expect no payment from her at all, it is the least I could do for her putting her life out there for my family. The 20 minutes it take me to do her account is well worth her time of maintaining my ability to communicate on the internet and watch live world cup soccer.

I like this a lot. I would do this with her.

1984buzzard
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM

please visit the greencare for troops website, if you can't afford to loose money on fertilizer at least keep mowing and trimming shrubs for her until she gets back

land_scaper70
06-18-2010, 02:26 PM
please visit the greencare for troops website, if you can't afford to loose money on fertilizer at least keep mowing and trimming shrubs for her until she gets back

She and I have it worked out, but maybe some others can benefit from the site. That site has been brought up before here. This site can give it a little more exposure so we do not have these problem and we all can give the people in the armed forces our total support, like they do for us. :usflag:

http://www.projectevergreen.com/gcft/

outlaw1960
06-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Same here, if she (they) can pay when they come home, cool. If not, That is cool as well. They are in harms way for our way of life. A few hours of my time is nothing compared to what they risk for our country. The lawn is a lot less significant in the grand scheme of things........put everything in perspective.

Butler Landscaping
06-19-2010, 03:58 PM
check came in yesterday along with a letter apologizing for the delay. she also called to make sure i got it. i knew she would pay shes always great about it. thanks for all the advice though!

yardguy28
06-19-2010, 05:26 PM
i like the advice that has been given so far and it is probably something ok to follow.

i cut grass for a couple for 2-3 seasons. the husband was in the army and away all the time. after last season the wife didn't pay the last invoice. was warned if payment wasn't received or contact wasn't made i would turn her over to collection. i ended up having to turn her over. then i got a phone call from her telling me she didn't think it had to come to that she just has been to busy to pay the bill and that she didn't think she'd be using me this year. she paid probably 2 months after that.

it's a tuff situation to call since you've serviced her property this long and she's in the service. but (and i'm sure i'll take heat for this) in the service or not people who don't pay there invoices on time or at least contact me to tell me why they aren't paying on time will get turned over to collection and service will be stopped.

i personally don't care who you are or what you do. pay your invoices on time or at least make some sort of contact with me as to what is going on.

p.s. didn't read all the posts and just saw your post about getting the payment.......glad everything worked out......

clydebusa
06-19-2010, 05:30 PM

I do the samething. This started in our church. We mow 2 to 4 a weeks.
Since I do some construction we take care of the little problems also......

I want to add that one guy made it back and he now meets us at some yards, this is great!

Hell on Blades
06-19-2010, 05:32 PM
NEVER cancel services for deployed soldiers. If the most you're out is $120 or $240 of labor, you owe them that.

Once they get back, I'm sure she'll make you whole.

HighGrass
06-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Never, and I mean never contact their first sgt in these cases. Most of them are a real pain in the arse and can make your life a living hell. I would have kept mowing and when you finally made contact if she refused to pay, then deal with.
Folks that are overseas need the respect and that they deserve and don't need their first sgt breathing down their necks when they are trying to do their job.

topsites
06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
check came in yesterday along with a letter apologizing for the delay. she also called to make sure i got it. i knew she would pay shes always great about it. thanks for all the advice though!

Yup, yup, gtg, glad to hear that.

yardguy28
06-19-2010, 08:07 PM
NEVER cancel services for deployed soldiers. If the most you're out is $120 or $240 of labor, you owe them that.

Once they get back, I'm sure she'll make you whole.

Never, and I mean never contact their first sgt in these cases. Most of them are a real pain in the arse and can make your life a living hell. I would have kept mowing and when you finally made contact if she refused to pay, then deal with.
Folks that are overseas need the respect and that they deserve and don't need their first sgt breathing down their necks when they are trying to do their job.

i don't care if your the president of the united states, or GOD for that matter. if you hire me to service your property on a weekly basis, you will pay on time or have contacted me with an explanation why you aren't paying on time.

once an invoice is sent out you are given 15 days to pay. after 30 days i reinvoice with a friendly reminder to either pay asap or contact me asap. 15 days after a nice final notice giving the client 15 days to either pay or contact me or i will either use a collection agency, small claims court, lawyers, leins, etc. to collect the unpaid amounts. this policy applies to ANYONE who hires me. no if's, and's or but's about it.

if your not interested in following my policies or can't follow my policies then don't hire me.

mbrew
06-19-2010, 08:15 PM
i don't care if your the president of the united states, or GOD for that matter. if you hire me to service your property on a weekly basis, you will pay on time or have contacted me with an explanation why you aren't paying on time.

once an invoice is sent out you are given 15 days to pay. after 30 days i reinvoice with a friendly reminder to either pay asap or contact me asap. 15 days after a nice final notice giving the client 15 days to either pay or contact me or i will either use a collection agency, small claims court, lawyers, leins, etc. to collect the unpaid amounts. this policy applies to ANYONE who hires me. no if's, and's or but's about it.

if your not interested in following my policies or can't follow my policies then don't hire me.

We're all very glad to know that. I hope the attitude takes you far in life.

yardguy28
06-19-2010, 08:34 PM
blah blah blah

rain man
06-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Well one good thing about war is that it keeps the economy going.

clydebusa
06-19-2010, 10:22 PM

You should print this up with every contract, I am sure it would benefit the outcome of the services.

HighGrass
06-19-2010, 10:23 PM

Tomorrow, after you' had a good nights sleep, come back to this thread and read what you wrote. I think you might see it differently. If not, then I wish you the best of luck.

yardguy28
06-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Tomorrow, after you' had a good nights sleep, come back to this thread and read what you wrote. I think you might see it differently. If not, then I wish you the best of luck.

i guess your wishing me the best of luck then because i had a great nights sleep and i still say you either pay on time and EVERYONE (president and GOD included) will follow the same standards. late and no payers get turned over to collection or some other process to collect payments.

Fireguy97
06-20-2010, 02:03 PM
so i have this customer that ive been mowing her yard since i was 12 (im 17 now) and i charge her $120/month to do regular cuts and fertilize it and trim the hedges. she is in the army and she went overseas. the problem is she hasnt paid me in 2 months but since she has been such a good customer i havent stopped mowing it yet. im not sure what to do, should i keep mowing it and give her a HUGE bill when she gets back or should i just stop mowing it? i really like this lady but i cant work for free!

check came in yesterday along with a letter apologizing for the delay. she also called to make sure i got it. i knew she would pay shes always great about it.

It sounds like you're still twelve years old. First you are complaining that you aren't getting paid, the you say that you knew that you'd be paid. WTF :hammerhead:

Mick

LCCaptain
06-20-2010, 03:12 PM
If she is over seas she is making good money and there is no excuse for non payment. Go over her head like BigC stated.

yardguy28
06-20-2010, 04:20 PM
i disagree with everyone who said go to her boss. i keep each clients information between me and the client. the only time i involve someone else is when i need to involve a collection agency and thats there job and all they every see is the last invoice which only includes there address and dates of service.

a clients family, friends, or boss do not get to be involved unless i have permission from the client.

i treat any and all information just like doctors do with there patients.......