PDA

View Full Version : Question about stand-on mowers

TroutBum
06-18-2010, 06:48 AM
The only stand-on mower I have used is the grandstand. The return springs that bring the control leavers back to neutral are very stout on these machines and it is KILLING my hands to use this mower. I am wondering if any of the other stand-on mowers require less pressure applied to control leavers to drive the mower. Anyone know about this?
With the grandstand you are constantly pushing these levers in order to drive the machine. Any stand-on mower have a seperate drive control leaver that controls speed, then steering control leavers that just control steering and staopping? Thanks.

SchnabelLawnCare
06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
John Deere 647A is what I have. I don't have any problems with pushing them. VERY little force needed. I don't think there is anything like you described on the market except a Ferris DD with a sulky.

TroutBum
06-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Thank you. We do have a Deere dealer near by.

whosedog
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
My wright stander has very minimal spring tension,you can move both levers either way with one finger.Mower speed is controlled by the throttle which is a separate lever.Never tried a grandstand so I can't compare the springs,but I can tell you this,I can use my pinky finger to move the levers on my wright.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
06-18-2010, 10:29 PM
like said above i have a wright and it takes no effort to move the control arms

mbrew
06-18-2010, 10:51 PM
If the spring tension is the only thing you don't like, you should be able to find some other springs somewhere to replace the originals.

Bob_n_weave
06-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Have the dealer check it out. I have never had and problems with mine.

TroutBum
06-19-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm headed to the dealer today. They have had the grandstand for two weeks. Thanks for the info guys.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I had the same problem with my Grandstand when I first got it.......dealer was able to make adjustments

jbell36
06-20-2010, 02:06 PM
we have the same problem with one of our two grandstands...it should be a simple adjustment but the dealer wasn't able to figure it out last time and only made it worse...i'll be taking that one in here soon...in my opinion this should be one of that last things that could have gone wrong with the grandstand, their hydro drive system is one of the best