PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone built their own OCDC?

biggziff
06-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm interested in seeing if anyone has built their own Operator Controlled Discharge Chute system. If you have, could you reply here or to me via PM?

thanks!

Trevor8
06-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Just buy one. I know there are some people on here who have made there own. You could buy one from your dealer depending on what type of mower you have. Exmark, scag, Dixie Chopper all have one that you can buy. You could buy a trimmer trap http://www.trimmertrap.com/site/blade-blocker/blade-blocker.htmlor or a powerchute http://www.powerchutedesign.com/

Here is al ink to someone who made there own http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=310503&highlight=ocdc&page=2

biggziff
06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Just buy one.

Ya, well...I may end up doing that, but $200 + for a piece of sheet steel and some fasteners is really abusive....especially when I have a shop full of tools that I enjoy using!

Thanks for the reply.

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
They are so easy to build, do not buy one, the price is ridiculous for the brand name versions! While I cannot re-post the pic of mine to this thread, if you search my previous posts, you will see mine, I just used a socket universal joint and steel plate, works great, i can even set it at half open, full open and full closed.

Trevor8
06-18-2010, 10:23 AM
MikeKle I posted a link to your thread in my first post. I would sell you my trimmer trap blade blocker for a wb for $75 plus shipping.

biggziff
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Trevor8: I need one for a Exmark ZTR, but thanks.

Mike, nice work...I have a lot of aluminum stock lying around so I may try to use that and tig weld it.

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 10:37 AM
MikeKle I posted a link to your thread in my first post. I would sell you my trimmer trap blade blocker for a wb for $75 plus shipping.

Thanks, but i dont need one right now, I built them for all my WBs, and they are working great.

wahlturfcare
06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
heres on of the many i've built for my own. they work very well and are easy to take off and put on.

Frontier-Lawn
06-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Just buy one. I know there are some people on here who have made there own. You could buy one from your dealer depending on what type of mower you have. Exmark, scag, Dixie Chopper all have one that you can buy. You could buy a trimmer trap http://www.trimmertrap.com/site/blade-blocker/blade-blocker.htmlor or a powerchute http://www.powerchutedesign.com/

Here is al ink to someone who made there own http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=310503&highlight=ocdc&page=2

i bought a blade blocker from trimmer trap and its nice but soon as i get the cash and time i am buying a power chute that way i dont have to take my hands off the z controls to operate the blocker.

MikeKle
06-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Some may not know it, but you can easily build your own power chute from an old power window motor and some cheap electrical parts. I was going to build a powered one, but ended up going withe the manual one instead, just as easy to move the lever as to hit a switch.

kc2006
06-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I made one a few years ago that was electric for an exmark with triton deck. I ended up getting a different mower and started bagging 90% of the time so I never use it anymore.

Some metal, a window motor from a car and it's switch and maybe 2 hours on a rainy day is all it took. Worked really well, I mounted the switch on the control stick so you didn't have to move your hand to control it even.

kc2006
06-19-2010, 11:55 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=146396&highlight=ocdc&page=2

Here's some pics of the one I built, that was back when the power ones were just starting to come out. I tried to keep it as simple as possible and just used scrap metal I had in the garage. Thing was fast and I liked that I could close it all the way, open all the way or leave it a couple inches open so the grass would still dispurse but not go all over the place.

Richard Martin
06-19-2010, 03:57 PM
While I cannot re-post the pic of mine to this thread, if you search my previous posts, you will see mine, .

This pic?

http://new.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=168140&stc=1&d=1258582461

Here's your thread...

http://new.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3289031

Hoy landscaping
06-20-2010, 08:15 PM
i made one out of gutter guard. im not done and its a work in progress. but it keeps grass out of the beds. i may go take some pics of it after this larry the cable guy special.

dunnbar
06-20-2010, 08:52 PM
This is what i made. it just cost a few welding rods and some scraps i had laying around. i made the plate out of thin metal so it bends if it gets caught on anything. I just take it off and flatten it back out. thats a lot better than ripping off the hinges or bending something.

AndreT
09-11-2010, 09:23 PM
I made one a few years ago that was electric for an exmark with triton deck. I ended up getting a different mower and started bagging 90% of the time so I never use it anymore.

Some metal, a window motor from a car and it's switch and maybe 2 hours on a rainy day is all it took. Worked really well, I mounted the switch on the control stick so you didn't have to move your hand to control it even.
Kurt, do you still have this powered chute kicking around and if so would you be interested in selling it. I would be putting it on a 2007 Bobcat ZT223 with a 52" deck.

demhustler
09-11-2010, 09:43 PM
They are so easy to build, do not buy one, the price is ridiculous for the brand name versions! While I cannot re-post the pic of mine to this thread, if you search my previous posts, you will see mine, I just used a socket universal joint and steel plate, works great, i can even set it at half open, full open and full closed.

on all our mowers - simple rubber plate (sheet) instead of oem chute; price - $0.00; works like a charm - priceless
can take any beating - some like 5 years old
suspicion - it foolproof, but you know : ))))))))

AndreT
09-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Demhustler, do you have a picture of your rubber plate blade blocker system?

demhustler
09-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Demhustler, do you have a picture of your rubber plate blade blocker system?

demit, i don't.... : )))))))
can take pict. with cell phone - can't download; too lazy to take digital camera to work : ((((((

simple peace of rubber, rubber bungee holds it down - you leaning to the side, reaching bungee, pulling it - plate flips up (open)
we use to have chute as on pictures above - it getting loose, gets broken - don't last long (at all); simple rubber - just fine : ))))) have to lean to open/close it - that's all

AndreT
09-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks Demi!

Richard Martin
09-12-2010, 07:27 AM
can take pict. with cell phone - can't download; too lazy to take digital camera to work : ((((((

Man, come on. You can do better than that. Help us out here.

TLS
09-12-2010, 09:20 AM
He hasn't mastered typing yet, and you want him to upload a picture?!?!

demhustler
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
He hasn't mastered typing yet, and you want him to upload a picture?!?!

when you master reading, you'll see - there is no picture to upload or download :hammerhead:
: )))))

demhustler
09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
we use to have chute like on pict - joint attaching rode to plate - sticking out and getting caught and bends, getting hit, etc; mount - getting loose, shakes - doesn't last long; chute plate itself been made from plastic, gets hit and breaks - so in the end - only hinges (holding plate) been left, plate - rubber piece; bungee hooked from middle of rear end of the plate to deck chains

so flip -flop does what it should, you do have to lean aside to grub bungee for open/close cute - that's once or so when you mowing, but you have complete peace of mind - it small, doesn't affect your driving habits(go close to obstacles as you do w/o it), if somehow it gets hit - who cares ...

TLS
09-13-2010, 08:26 AM
when you master reading, you'll see - there is no picture to upload or download :hammerhead:
: )))))

I guess beating around the bush isn't going to work. (I get varied results in real life)

I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible. Demhustler, your communicative skills on this internet discussion forum are horrible. Your grammar and typing mistakes make your posts almost impossible to read. It's hard enough to explain things in writing as it is, add typos and misspelled words and it becomes almost impossible. We're on the same page a LOT of times, but it takes me 2-3 reads and a big headache to determine this.

I like you demhustler (not in that way! :laugh: ), and, feel we are probably similar guys with similar thoughts on machinery. I greatly respect your insight and knowledge, and look forward to your contributions on Lawnsite. You have a LOT to offer this forum. I just wish you would utilize spell check, or simply just proof-read what you typed prior to pushing SUBMIT.

Hope we're still friends bud! ;)

Mickhippy
09-13-2010, 08:52 AM
OCDC's in this thread. Mines halfway down or so... (Im still using the same ocdc. held up pretty well. Just replaced rope with chain)
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=222177&page=6

puppypaws
09-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I guess beating around the bush isn't going to work. (I get varied results in real life)

I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible. Demhustler, your communicative skills on this internet discussion forum are horrible. Your grammar and typing mistakes make your posts almost impossible to read. It's hard enough to explain things in writing as it is, add typos and misspelled words and it becomes almost impossible. We're on the same page a LOT of times, but it takes me 2-3 reads and a big headache to determine this.

I like you demhustler (not in that way! :laugh: ), and, feel we are probably similar guys with similar thoughts on machinery. I greatly respect your insight and knowledge, and look forward to your contributions on Lawnsite. You have a LOT to offer this forum. I just wish you would utilize spell check, or simply just proof-read what you typed prior to pushing SUBMIT.

Hope we're still friends bud! ;)

Look at the information in this post, much easier to read and understand. I honestly can't understand why he can't slow down just a little, enabling us to read and comprehend his statements with out needing a code to decipher.

This is what i made. it just cost a few welding rods and some scraps i had laying around. i made the plate out of thin metal so it bends if it gets caught on anything. I just take it off and flatten it back out. thats a lot better than ripping off the hinges or bending something.

demhustler
09-15-2010, 10:22 PM
we use to have chute like on pict - joint attaching rode to plate - sticking out and getting caught and bends, getting hit, etc; mount - getting loose, shakes - doesn't last long; chute plate itself been made from plastic, gets hit and breaks - so in the end - only hinges (holding plate) been left, plate - rubber piece; bungee hooked from middle of rear end of the plate to deck chains

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199222&stc=1&d=1284330557

so flip -flop does what it should, you do have to lean aside to grub bungee for open/close cute - that's once or so when you mowing, but you have complete peace of mind - it small, doesn't affect your driving habits(go close to obstacles as you do w/o it), if somehow it gets hit - who cares ...

that's how its look like - dead simple : )))))

demhustler
09-15-2010, 10:35 PM
do you think it's just need to be simplified (a bit)? : ))))

bc3xx0
09-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Here is the one I built. I had some 3/8 rod, a u joint and some galvinized 10 guage steel. All it cost me was 6 bucks for a gate hinge.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_a1i7Ma47tTk/TJGa0Fb-xFI/AAAAAAAAAKw/GKD87gmQq1E/s400/2010-09-13%2015.19.47.jpg

demhustler
09-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Here is the one I built. I had some 3/8 rod, a u joint and some galvinized 10 guage steel. All it cost me was 6 bucks for a gate hinge.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_a1i7Ma47tTk/TJGa0Fb-xFI/AAAAAAAAAKw/GKD87gmQq1E/s400/2010-09-13%2015.19.47.jpg

nice
where u-joins from?

TLS
09-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Most guys are using 3/8" drive socket universals.
Posted via Mobile Device

demhustler
09-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Most guys are using 3/8" drive socket universals.
Posted via Mobile Device

true

2. another idea- cable; like throttle control cable or bicycle gear shifter cable and lever (pulling- chute up, pushing - down; fixed positions in-between)
since it cable (flexible) - can be mounted anywhere....

OldRedFord
09-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Here I thought these OCDC ran $150 or $200.

Not $300.

Grassman6
09-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I'll bet Norm is gritting his teeth.

ashgrove landscaping
09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Quit being ghetto and get a power chute from norm!

bc3xx0
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
nice
where u-joins from?

I cabbaged them from my previous job. They are stainless u-joints we used to use on the drive line for adjustment wheels and what not on package machines.

bc3xx0
09-17-2010, 12:17 AM
true

2. another idea- cable; like throttle control cable or bicycle gear shifter cable and lever (pulling- chute up, pushing - down; fixed positions in-between)
since it cable (flexible) - can be mounted anywhere....

I'm gonna have to give that a try. I have a few of those laying around. Only problem I see is building a cam or something to bridge the range of motion.

bradseabridge
09-17-2010, 12:29 AM

Yeah right, when I can make one for $4... fat chance, unless he is selling it for $4 then I don't want it.

demhustler
09-17-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm gonna have to give that a try. I have a few of those laying around. Only problem I see is building a cam or something to bridge the range of motion.

yea, something what would be strong enough to hold (lock) it in position...
best would be - in open/close/semiopen
even if in only open/close -still not bad (spring holds plate in up and down position; cable , like choke cable, pushes/pulls it to change position

btw. if spring tension -not tight, at low blades speed (low rpm) it would hold it full closed; in full throttle it would act like semiopen

(using chute on tight spots - islands, close to cars, etc - i always lowering rpm to reduce blowout from right side )

bc3xx0
09-17-2010, 02:47 AM
yea, something what would be strong enough to hold (lock) it in position...
best would be - in open/close/semiopen
even if in only open/close -still not bad (spring holds plate in up and down position; cable , like choke cable, pushes/pulls it to change position

btw. if spring tension -not tight, at low blades speed (low rpm) it would hold it full closed; in full throttle it would act like semiopen

(using chute on tight spots - islands, close to cars, etc - i always lowering rpm to reduce blowout from right side )

I've been kicking ideas of how to keep it closed at high speeds. It stays open with gravity.

I kinda gave up working on the one I got and use it as is. I used a 16lbs magnet to hold it closed. Works ok at low speed but at high speed it kicks semi open. I tried to drill a bunch of holes in the plate to reduce the pressure a tad and it works well at high speeds, until you plug up the holes with grass which takes about a tenth of a second!! All I did there was wear out a drill bit!!

I'm working on a spring loaded lock that will hold the handle in position at the operator control. I'm shooting for a push then turn operation. I'm gonna need to beef up my support and keep the shaft floating since its on a floating deck. I'm still in the idea phase!

TLS
09-17-2010, 08:15 AM

Couldn't have said it better.

Worthwhile investment for me. Been running it since I got the SuperZ and hasn't skipped a beat.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I just got the spring system set up on my homemade one.......still trying to figure out the control handle...

demhustler
09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I just got the spring system set up on my homemade one.......still trying to figure out the control handle...

if spring holds it closed - maybe "control" - just rope with 3 hooks? : ))))

Buckeye1
09-17-2010, 08:24 PM
just copy the ezchute ocdc for the best walkbehind ocdc.

ezchute.com

demhustler
09-17-2010, 09:03 PM
hmm... what holds it in mid-position?
http://www.ezchute.com/ezchute_files/v3_document.htm

demhustler
09-22-2010, 09:56 PM
ocdc from exmark

TLS
09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I'd like to look at the eXmark design in person to see if it could be modified to retract all the way back and lay on the belt cover.

Sticking out serves no purpose to me. May as well keep the OEM chute on a mower (which is what this is designed for).

rjtlawncare
04-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Mike,

Do you have any of your OCDC's available, I live in cincinnati

Dan
937-903-3833

dougdm
04-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Well this sucks, I just bought an exmark one for my 48" wb. $245 after tax. Had to get a new ocdc for a church (dont want to buy a stained glass window) I hate it when I don't have time to work on my stuff and have to go and buy from the dealer. This winter/spring is killing me on my casual mechanicing. Kids don't help either.