PDA

View Full Version : Curb hopping?

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
A few of my properties I have to get up over curbs to get to the islands grass, and I always wonder as Im backing the mowers up on these curbs if it is bad for the mowers, as it is pretty rough to do, and the deck buckles alot(floating decks) and i have to bang it back down, these curbs are about 7-8" I always approach it at an angle so one wheel gets on then the other, if I try it straight on, the mower will just spin the tires and wont climb the curb.

Hawg City Lawns
06-18-2010, 11:05 AM
is there any slope to the curbs or is it the square type?

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
No slope, totally square, and I approach the lowest spot too, but for the most part, it is all around 8" tall

MS_SURVEYOR
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
You need to build you some ramps. Just something you could lay on the curb to ride up the slope. Heck, a couple of 2x8's 4 ft. long would work.

lawnsofmerritt
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
You need to build you some ramps. Just something you could lay on the curb to ride up the slope. Heck, a couple of 2x8's 4 ft. long would work.

Thats what we do for the really high ones.. The smaller ones we just lay a 4x4 post down and roll over it.. keeps the deck from scraping...

Hawg City Lawns
06-18-2010, 12:50 PM

my thoughts exactly maybe even just a wedge like a wheel chock that might work also

Cboy7
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I just approach real slow with the front tires.. pop em up and then go sideways.. do a hop de hop , and can get on most curbs without my deck ever scraping.
(on the new wondrous exmark next magic miracle machine)

Cboy7
06-18-2010, 02:01 PM
oh wait , why are we even answering mikele's question?
he's the lamer that was trying to hire a chick to work half naked and wasnt gonna tell his girlfriend.

topsites
06-18-2010, 03:01 PM
If I recall correctly the way I usually do it is by approaching SLOWLY with the
front tires and mount it kind of sideways so it goes up one wheel at a time and
watch closely, also the front tires need to have enough air in them.
Then the back same way, one rear tire at a time, might have to punch it just
a little at some exact moment.

Also you definitely should put the deck in the 'transport' position.

Granted the front of my mower swivels independent of the rear so I'm not sure if
it all works out the same way or not, but I'm pretty sure that's how I would do it.

he's the lamer that was trying to hire a chick to work half naked and wasnt gonna tell his girlfriend.

LOL it's all good.

watatrp
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I approach the same way you do. Done it hundreds of times. Have lost the air out of one front tire about 3 times. Never the rear tires. I'd suggest a ramp. 8" is pretty high.

ShooterK2
06-18-2010, 08:35 PM
A few of my properties I have to get up over curbs to get to the islands grass, and I always wonder as Im backing the mowers up on these curbs if it is bad for the mowers, as it is pretty rough to do, and the deck buckles alot(floating decks) and i have to bang it back down, these curbs are about 7-8" I always approach it at an angle so one wheel gets on then the other, if I try it straight on, the mower will just spin the tires and wont climb the curb.

I don't have any problem hopping my mower up onto curbs. I just push down hard on the handlebars (which raises the front end), and wheelie right on up. Never tried backing onto a curb, but I don't see the advantage. I like to see what I'm doing.

LouisianaLawnboy
06-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I just hit them dead on real slow. I don't see how you would hit them at an angle, because your wheel would just scrape. I just do the bumpity-bump.

C & T Landscaping
06-18-2010, 11:05 PM
http://www.discountramps.com/rubber-curb-ramps.htm

Or you can buy one :p

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Id love to see how you all are going front wheels first up the curbs, I have always backed up curbs, but as you know with exmarks, the parking brake is right behind the drive wheels, and if I hit the curb anyway but on an angle, it will depress that brake and shut the engine down, yeah, this check cashing place has huge curbs, it sucks and there is about 6 islands I have to get on., I think I am going to build a little ramp from wood, that would work great, and really doesnt have to be that big. throw it in the truck and forget about it, and its there when I need it. Thanks for the advice guys.

MikeKle
06-18-2010, 11:32 PM

"lamer"???..Please, So, you want to ignore me just because of some chick I have working for me? WTF right do you have to try to tell me who to have work for me and how they should dress? What guy wouldnt want some smoking hot girl working for him that likes to show off her body BTW? oh, let me guess, you are one of those holier than thou people that like to force their beliefs on everyone else, or maybe you would prefer some muscular guy in short shorts working for you? My GF doesnt give a damn anyway about this for your information!

topsites
06-18-2010, 11:34 PM
If it helps I've used wheel chocks as ramps before :p

Hawg City Lawns
06-19-2010, 12:24 AM
If it helps I've used wheel chocks as ramps before :p

i said that earlier haha i was wondering if i was the only one

jvanvliet
06-19-2010, 06:50 AM
deck buckling? sounds bad...

I keep a 2X6 and a 4X6 on the trailer to use as a step.

jvanvliet
06-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Id love to see how you all are going front wheels first up the curbs, I have always backed up curbs, but as you know with exmarks, the parking brake is right behind the drive wheels, and if I hit the curb anyway but on an angle, it will depress that brake and shut the engine down, yeah, this check cashing place has huge curbs, it sucks and there is about 6 islands I have to get on., I think I am going to build a little ramp from wood, that would work great, and really doesnt have to be that big. throw it in the truck and forget about it, and its there when I need it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Never had my Exmarks engage the brake whilst backing up on a curb...:walking:

ShooterK2
06-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Is the curb seriously so big that you can't push way down on the handlebars and wheelie up onto it? I've never actually thought about it, but the curbs around here may not be as tall as what you're talking about. Wheel chocks, or maybe even a couple of those skateboard ramps like my son uses may help.

MikeKle
06-19-2010, 09:23 AM
deck buckling? sounds bad...

I keep a 2X6 and a 4X6 on the trailer to use as a step.

That is when the back part of the deck goes up and gets stuck in that position, only happens with floating decks, not sure what this was called though? Usually it happens when you run over a grade that is very unlevel and causes the deck to push up. Is there another term for this?

MileHigh
06-19-2010, 11:47 AM
my exmarks are curb hopping maniacs...

my suggestion is if the curb are just too high, and you risk damaging the curb or your mower hopping them..

get or make two wooden wheel chucks, and use them on the property where you have to hop the curbs...Wheel chucks work very well for this and are pretty small for moving around with ease.

jvanvliet
06-20-2010, 05:57 AM
That is when the back part of the deck goes up and gets stuck in that position, only happens with floating decks, not sure what this was called though? Usually it happens when you run over a grade that is very unlevel and causes the deck to push up. Is there another term for this?

Now I know what you mean... dunno if there's another term but in my mind buckling means warping. Your deck is hanging up on the curb. Are you sure you RAISE it before you jump the curb?

MikeKle
06-20-2010, 09:09 AM
yesterday I tried going forward, and it worked great, I dont know where I heard that backing up curbs in the best way, but it doesnt work nearly as well as going forward. I just held the front end up and it went right up those curbs, but I still have to hit it at a certain angle or it will sit there and spin the tires.Thanks for the replies.

ShooterK2
06-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Finally someone listened to me!! I've never even tried backing up a curb.......you can't lift the back end like you can lift the front, so it only makes sense to go forward.

topsites
06-20-2010, 10:44 AM
yesterday I tried going forward, and it worked great, I dont know where I heard that backing up curbs in the best way, but it doesnt work nearly as well as going forward. I just held the front end up and it went right up those curbs,

Yup, see, told ya! :p

but I still have to hit it at a certain angle or it will sit there and spin the tires.Thanks for the replies.

Yeah you gotta hit it just right, and kinda go slow or you'll bust a front tire's seal lol

Glad to hear it's all worked out.

ed2hess
06-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I put small hump of concrete on curbs that are real difficult. For most I carry a short piece of 2x8 board with a Kevlar loop attached. I use my trash grabber to throw it in place and pick it up. The length of the board is only 10". You don't need a lot to get up.