PDA

View Full Version : what type of two stroke oil do you use

wellington123
06-18-2010, 01:20 PM
what type of two stroke oil do you use and where can i buy it online

mnglocker
06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
In what items? Different engines have different requirements.

Alan0354
06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Amsoil direct from Amsoil.

br549oicu8
06-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Opti-Oil has been good to us.

Richard Martin
06-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Amsoil at 80:1. It works at that ratio for every piece of 2 stroke (and Stihl 4 Mix and Shindaiwa's 4 strokes) equipement on the face of the earth.

topsites
06-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Opti-2 here as well.

trippy
06-18-2010, 06:37 PM
nothing but stens,,,no issues ever,,,no smoke or buildup and can mix any ratio

wellington123
06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm trying to find something that you just open up the oil put it in the gas can and it makes like 2 gallons of gas. this would be use in stihl 4 stroke and two strokes.

Richard Martin
06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm trying to find something that you just open up the oil put it in the gas can and it makes like 2 gallons of gas. this would be use in stihl 4 stroke and two strokes.

Amsoil 3.5 oz bottles. Open it up and put it into 2 gallons of gas.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/atp_qt_300pxh.jpg

Alan0354
06-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Amsoil 3.5 oz bottles. Open it up and put it into 2 gallons of gas.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/atp_qt_300pxh.jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How's your back? Any different from the injection?:waving:

Richard Martin
06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How's your back? Any different from the injection?:waving:

The pain is in my hip and leg but the problem is in my back. It comes and goes. I'll do the test tomorrow. I also have a video that I'm going to post that explains the use of that yellow arm on my Dixie. I had considered keeping it under wraps forever but maybe a few people here at Lawnsite will be able to use it. Hint: If you have long ditches (100+ feet) to mow but they are too steep to actually use a mower on then you'll want to stay tuned. My "invention" cuts certain situational mowing by 80%.

genesis215
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I use Amsoil. It's the best stuff out there, but Opti-2 is also very good. I would recommend Amsoil over anything because of it's price, quality being a full-synthetic oil, and for the much extended lifespan it gives equipment. The Amsoil is very good for Stihl 4-strokes. They will last a very long time on Amsoil because it doesn't leave the deadly carbon deposits that damage these engines.

Cooter
06-19-2010, 12:39 AM
What ratio are you guys mixing the Opti 2?

cpt87gn
06-19-2010, 01:35 AM
just got my first 4 quarts of amsoil saber 80:1

Alan0354
06-19-2010, 01:41 AM
I know one of my dealer sell Amsoil, why isn,t more available in dealers? And yes, Amsoil want to eat you on shipping. Luckily I don't use enough to worry about the cost.

ajslands
06-19-2010, 01:44 AM
I use universal I think it's called??? And it works great! Buy it at the gas station too!
Posted via Mobile Device

Differential
06-19-2010, 02:12 AM
This topic has been debated ad nauseum, however, it's always a good question as products and lubricants evolve.

I always use either Echo Powerblend or the Stihl HP Ultra. Not only do my machines seem to run well on them, but if there's ever a warranty question, I can point the finger at my dealer and say, "you sold me the oil."

Alot of people say Amsoil is good, but why isn't their distribution better?

FastMan
06-19-2010, 02:29 AM
I just picked up some Opti 2 yesterday so I could give it a try. Glad to see the good endorsements of it here.

I wouldn't use Amsoil, simply because of the sleazy marketing tactics I've seen them use here on Lawnsite. A class company with a good product shouldn't have to resort such shat. As such, I have no respect for or trust of them, and will thus never purchase their product.

Differential
06-19-2010, 02:39 AM
What kind of sleazy marketing tactics did they use? I'd like to know. I personally have no interest in ever buying their products.

If the manufacturer recommends a specific mixture ratio, that's what I'm sticking with. Not the opinion of some guy Amway guy selling synthetic out of the back of his truck or garage.

To me, it makes sense that if there's ever a question regarding warranty coverage, the manufacturers would automatically void anything where you have used 80:1 or whatever.

Alan0354
06-19-2010, 03:00 AM
I just picked up some Opti 2 yesterday so I could give it a try. Glad to see the good endorsements of it here.

I wouldn't use Amsoil, simply because of the sleazy marketing tactics I've seen them use here on Lawnsite. A class company with a good product shouldn't have to resort such shat. As such, I have no respect for or trust of them, and will thus never purchase their product.

You sounded like me 3 years ago!!! I was very loud about it too, I guess I change my mind!!!:laugh::laugh:

Richard Martin
06-19-2010, 05:12 AM
I wouldn't use Amsoil, simply because of the sleazy marketing tactics I've seen them use here on Lawnsite.

I'd also like to know which "sleazy" marketing tactics they've been using here.

whosedog
06-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Whatever Walmart or home depot sells synthetic,lately it's homelite from HD.Never had a problem with the oils,it's the ethanol in the gas that screws up the rubber fuel pump in the 2 stroke carbs,deteriorates them after a few years.

genesis215
06-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Amsoil is not a hyped up thing. It really does work well. I have heard of a guy that bought a Weedeater brand trimmer from Wal-Mart back in 1996, and is still using it commercially today because of Amsoil. It probably wouldn't have lasted even 2 years with most oils. I hardly could believe it. Another guy that's here on lawnsite is still using his 10-yr. old Echo SRM-210 because of Amsoil. A lot of guys are fortunate to get 2 or 3 years out of that trimmer using the Echo powerblend oil. And also another guy on here is still using his '05 Stihl BR 600 that by all means should be in the trash by now if it weren't for Amsoil. I don't think it's a gimmick at all. It is really good stuff.

That doesn't mean that other oils aren't good too. Just Amsoil is the cheapest high-quality oil I know of. Opti-2 and Stihl Ultra are both very fine oils, but they are VERY expensive! And BTW, I don't use it at 100:1 like Amsoil states to use. That just sounds far out with today's 10% ethanol gas reaking havoc on engines, and hindering lubricity. So I typically mix around 2 oz. per gallon (64:1). That seems more reasonable IMO than the 100:1 ratio. Just some thoughts.

Frue
06-19-2010, 05:14 PM
I use amsoil in everything. I actually mix it at 100-1, have been doing this for 4 years not one blown engine! Maybe not the best but it def works for me. I buy 4 cases a year of it so I use a lot of it. I can get 2.5 gallons out of a bottle as a opposed to 2 out of echo. Echo cost 2.00 a bottle 1.65 for the amsoil.

Alan0354
06-19-2010, 05:55 PM
That doesn't mean that other oils aren't good too. Just Amsoil is the cheapest high-quality oil I know of. Opti-2 and Stihl Ultra are both very fine oils, but they are VERY expensive! And BTW, I don't use it at 100:1 like Amsoil states to use. That just sounds far out with today's 10% ethanol gas reaking havoc on engines, and hindering lubricity. So I typically mix around 2 oz. per gallon (64:1). That seems more reasonable IMO than the 100:1 ratio. Just some thoughts.

How long have you been using at 64:1 ratio? I am concern about the 100:1 and been using at 60:1 all along. You have any deposit build up problem with that extra oil? I have too few hours to tell.:waving:

Grubrunner
06-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Amsoil is not a hyped up thing. It really does work well. I have heard of a guy that bought a Weedeater brand trimmer from Wal-Mart back in 1996, and is still using it commercially today because of Amsoil. It probably wouldn't have lasted even 2 years with most oils. I hardly could believe it. Another guy that's here on lawnsite is still using his 10-yr. old Echo SRM-210 because of Amsoil. A lot of guys are fortunate to get 2 or 3 years out of that trimmer using the Echo powerblend oil. And also another guy on here is still using his '05 Stihl BR 600 that by all means should be in the trash by now if it weren't for Amsoil. I don't think it's a gimmick at all. It is really good stuff.

Great post!

Let me add that I have a Weedeater bent-shaft trimmer I purchased in 2000 that still runs like a dream thanks to Amsoil.

Yeah, it's considered a POS by today's standards [actually, it is a POS to look at.... been to hell-n-back] but every now-n-then I'll crank it over to clean the sidewalk's edges in a hurry without having to grab my other trimmers from a locked shed.... fires up every time!

Anyhow, I use the link below on my three trimmers and two handheld blowers.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

HenryB
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Walmart 2-cycle oil in all my stuff even my 4 mixes NEVER lost an engine grat stuff about $10 a gallon.

Oldtimer
06-20-2010, 12:46 AM
I've used Opti2 mixed @ 100:1 since 1983 and we have used it in thousands of engines in our shop. It is not a synthetic so it will actually bond to the inside of the engine while a synthetic will not.

Oldtimer

Pennington Lawncare
06-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Amsoil Saber in all my 2 stroke stuff and Amsoil small engine oil in my mower. We really need to have a sticky for threads such as this. We are always having a 2 stroke oil thread, trimmer string threads, trimmer head threads. Always the same stuff over and over. I wish an admin would make a sticky section for threads such as this.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
06-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Stihl HP Ultra, 5.16 ounces (the bottle marked 2 gallons) in 2.5 gallons. Approx 62:1 Ratio.

20xd
06-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Mobil T-2, Mobil stopped producing it in 2007 but I found a dist with 38 cases last fall.

Alan0354
06-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Amsoil Saber in all my 2 stroke stuff and Amsoil small engine oil in my mower. We really need to have a sticky for threads such as this. We are always having a 2 stroke oil thread, trimmer string threads, trimmer head threads. Always the same stuff over and over. I wish an admin would make a sticky section for threads such as this.

That's what make it fun!!! Don't you know by now we all have OCD on this. If we seperate into catagories, then there will be no business here!!

There are only so many trimmers, blowers etc. You can really count it. Why do we keep wanting to talk about it over and over? Because we all have OCD!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Alan0354
06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Mobil T-2, Mobil stopped producing it in 2007 but I found a dist with 38 cases last fall.

Don't you worry about it go bad after a while? Particularly if you store in shed that get really hot in the summer. I even store my Amsoil inside the house so it don't have the temperature shock.

What is the shelf life of oil? Particular Stihl Ultra that said it is bio degradable after 30 days!!! That is not good!!! That actually is the main reason I refuse to try it.

DLCS
06-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Echo 2 stroke oil for me. i have Husky trimmers that run like new and they are over 10 years old. Why switch?

Richard Martin
06-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Don't you worry about it go bad after a while? Particularly if you store in shed that get really hot in the summer. I even store my Amsoil inside the house so it don't have the temperature shock.

What is the shelf life of oil? Particular Stihl Ultra that said it is bio degradable after 30 days!!! That is not good!!! That actually is the main reason I refuse to try it.

It's not something I'd worry about. I did some research on this about 4 or 5 years ago so my memory may be a little rusty.

The only real info I could come up with is the US Military won't allow lubricants to be used if a piece of equipement has been sitting in storage for 4 or 5 years. In other words, they'll fill the crankcase with oil, run it for a little while and then store the equipment. If the equipment sits too long then they change the oil out when they take the equipment out of storage.

With your Stihl oil...

It will start to biodegrade if left exposed to the elements. Closed up, in an unopened bottle the oil is safe for years and years. In a container that has been opened but reclosed with the screw on top, I'd have to guess that it's still good for at least 18 months. If you were to take the oil and spill it outside where it can be exposed to the sun, wind and rain then it will start to biodegrade in 30 days.

lawnboy dan
06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
mobil 2t for me till its gone

Keith
06-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Husqvarna XP synthetic blend. I used Amsoil 2-cycle for many years before that.

Alan0354
06-21-2010, 02:34 AM
Husqvarna XP synthetic blend. I used Amsoil 2-cycle for many years before that.

Is that same as Echo Power Blend?

Keith
06-21-2010, 03:26 AM
I have no idea.