PDA

View Full Version : what a crapy day

ukcats
06-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Started out this morning with everything going great. First 5 accounts done with ease and befor it got to hot. Went and got 3 more done with no problems. Filled up the truck and headed home for the day then I get t-boned by an old man who ran a stop sign. Alot of damage to the truck and the way it looks the trailer will be totaled by the Ins. company.

ACA L&L
06-18-2010, 06:58 PM
yikes that suks man. hope your okay, how about all the equipment.

mowerbrad
06-18-2010, 07:18 PM
I almost got hit by a semi yesterday who went through a stop sign....He rolled up to the stop sign, continued to roll through it and accelerate, didn't see me until he was blocking half the road. That was too close for comfort for me.

Hopefully you are okay?

clydebusa
06-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Had this happen to me, make sure they rent you a truck and trailer while your down!
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

topsites
06-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Not sure if this helps but I learned that Defensive driving unfortunately
also means expecting the unexpected, and taking certain precautions
to ensure that even not-at-fault collisions never happen.

Granted I wasn't there, and maybe I am assuming a lot.

Perhaps you were ill prepared, more often than not one can predict
a stop sign runner, same thing with folks who run red lights.
Read: It can and WILL happen!
Be ready for it and then hopefully the wreck can be avoided.

How I have not been involved in an automotive collision in at least 10 years, no traffic tickets either,
that is how I can assure you a perfect driving record involves a lot more than just not being at fault.

LCCaptain
06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Sorry to hear that UK. Hope you didn't get hurt.

ajslands
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Not sure if this helps but I learned that Defensive driving unfortunately
also means expecting the unexpected, and taking certain precautions
to ensure that even not-at-fault collisions never happen.

Granted I wasn't there, and maybe I am assuming a lot.

Perhaps you were ill prepared, more often than not one can predict

For those of us that plow, I'm sure we can all say we've ran a few stop signs.
On some streets around here, the stop signs go in for the night.
Because if it's like 3 am and you get stuck at a stop sign, not many ppl will come and push you out! Ok theirs my vein post of the day!
a stop sign runner, same thing with folks who run red lights.
Read: It can and WILL happen!
Be ready for it and then hopefully the wreck can be avoided.

How I have not been involved in an automotive collision in at least 10 years, no traffic tickets either,
that is how I can assure you a perfect driving record involves a lot more than just not being at fault.
Posted via Mobile Device

MileHigh
06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
It said it before...I'll say it again.

We people turn the age of 50...and then every 5 years after that...we should be required to retest for our DL's. I swear to god, the most dangerous people on the road are drunk teens and oldies.

That sux bro.

I hope you can sue the crap out of that blind old fart.

fivestarlawnken
06-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Glad you guys were ok!!

Hell on Blades
06-20-2010, 08:45 AM
You didn't post it, but I'm guessing you're OK.

Hope you don't have too much problem with the insurance.

whosedog
06-20-2010, 09:13 AM
It said it before...I'll say it again.

We people turn the age of 50...and then every 5 years after that...we should be required to retest for our DL's. I swear to god, the most dangerous people on the road are drunk teens and oldies.

That sux bro.

I hope you can sue the crap out of that blind old fart.

I'm 57, I take offense to that remark! I haven't had an at fault accident in 20 years,however my parked truck was hit last week by a 17yr old idiot.I always leave one car length between me and the next for every 10 mph I'm traveling.Old is 80 not 50,when I get stuck behind a slow mover it's usually some little old lady who has to sit on a seat cushion to see through the steering wheel.I think Florida has a law to retest older drivers because of all of the retirees moving down there.

MarcSmith
06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
top, you have good thoughts, but even being a great defensive driver you cannot plan for all eventualities. 2 months ago I was driving with my daughter @ 40mph. a guy came across from the right to make a left turn, never s topped for his stop sign usually you have time to get "scared" or get the adrenaline rush or the impending doom. but I never had time to even take my foot off the gas pedal...

15 years ago I was driving wiht my truck and trailer and guy to my left decided he had to get to the exit wer were driving by...he failed to notice my truackl and trailer and ran into me. I jackknifed, trailer flipped over and my truck shot scross two lanes of traffic into the median.

glad youa re ok,. key word is to mitigate your losses. IE if you need to rent a truck and trailer do so and keep records of it. Many keep in mind that you'll need to rent a truck that allows you to tow a trailer and moer likely than not you'll be paying mileage fees as well, and most insurance companies will balk at this, but you are mitigating yoru losses such that you can continue to do business.

and for those of you saying to sue the old bastard. please. you only need to sue if you are not getting compensated for your losses. And remember if you get a lawyer involved, plan on loosing 25-30% of your insurance compensation to the lawyer...

Also, take the truck to the dealership body shop. you WANT genuine OEM parts back on the vehicle. Also keep in mind that you will probaly be dealing with mulitple adjusters, one for the truck(vehicle), one for the trailer(property), and one for bodily injuries.

document each and every conversation you have with their insurance company. also file claims with YOUR insurance company. this way if the other company starts to balk or drags its feet you have already done the legwork with your company.