PDA

View Full Version : Went 21" mower shopping today

Yard-Dawg
06-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I had my heart set on another Ariens with the Kawasaki motor but the dealer was sold out till next year.:cry:

So I went to the local Snapper dealer and all he had was low end stuff and did not seem to want to talk about something that he did not have in stock.:nono:

Went to the Deere dealer and he said all he has is Briggs crap that is no good in long grass because the discharge hole plugs. Most of the mowers he sold this spring are being returned...He said if you want a good mower go get a Honda!:waving:

Then I went to Honda and the two sales guys were on lunch at 11:15 am and the mechinac that was left in charge was mad because they both left him alone and he did not have time to explain to me what they had for mowers.:nono:

Then I went to Toro, I made about two trips around the boats, bikes, quads & clothing and could not find a Toro anything. Then I looked in the phamlet rack and found an old dusty Toro mower broucher. I asked the sales person where all the Toro mowers are and she said they are sold out till next year.:dizzy:

So I spent most of my day shopping for a mower and came home with nothing. Now I am confused and don't know what to buy. I currently have 4 Deeres (older ones) and 2 Ariens.

What is your favotite 21" rear bagging Self Propelled mower?
:confused:

topsites
06-18-2010, 11:57 PM
I don't own a trim mower, my smallest mower sports a 48" deck.

Differential
06-19-2010, 02:15 AM
If you're bagging, the Snapper Hi-Vac commercial units are great. They don't seem to be as "cool" as others, but I beat the crap out of mine and it just keeps asking for more. And the bagged cut is really nice.

ACA L&L
06-19-2010, 02:55 AM
we use toros, but have a few snappers we use during leaf season for our smaller lawns, they are hands down the best hi vac mower on the market, that i have used anyway. you can always use a snapper, order a tor online, shipped its like 1200, my dealer will match prices online, he has like 20 mowers in there right now.

Alan0354
06-19-2010, 03:10 AM
I don't know a lot about mowers. I did some research, I am leaning towards Toro Commercial. Not only the Price is cheaper than the other commercial mowers, it is the lightest of them all. I think it is only at high 80s to low 90s depend on option. Others are in 110lbs range and carrying it up and down the pickup truck can be bad for you back.

Consummer Reports rated the home owner mowers reliability very high, so that is a good thing.

My former first choice was Arien LM21SW swivel wheel mower. It is not a true commercial but it is only $699. Too bad it is not available in Kalif.

Mowingman
06-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Your Ariens dealer is not telling you the truth. I was an Ariens/Gravely dealer, and my former partner in the store still is.
Ariens will build any of their mowers as soon as they get a few orders for them. They can shut down production of one mower model, and change over to build a few of another model in just an hour or two, due to the way their assembly plant is set up.
Contact you regional Ariens rep. directly, and he can probebly get one transfered in from another dealer in his territory.
Your dealer is either misinformed, or does not want your business. He can get you one of those mowers.

I had my heart set on another Ariens with the Kawasaki motor but the dealer was sold out till next year.:cry:

So I went to the local Snapper dealer and all he had was low end stuff and did not seem to want to talk about something that he did not have in stock.:nono:

Went to the Deere dealer and he said all he has is Briggs crap that is no good in long grass because the discharge hole plugs. Most of the mowers he sold this spring are being returned...He said if you want a good mower go get a Honda!:waving:

Then I went to Honda and the two sales guys were on lunch at 11:15 am and the mechinac that was left in charge was mad because they both left him alone and he did not have time to explain to me what they had for mowers.:nono:

Then I went to Toro, I made about two trips around the boats, bikes, quads & clothing and could not find a Toro anything. Then I looked in the phamlet rack and found an old dusty Toro mower broucher. I asked the sales person where all the Toro mowers are and she said they are sold out till next year.:dizzy:

So I spent most of my day shopping for a mower and came home with nothing. Now I am confused and don't know what to buy. I currently have 4 Deeres (older ones) and 2 Ariens.

What is your favotite 21" rear bagging Self Propelled mower?
:confused:

trippy
06-19-2010, 04:42 PM
i upgraded from a home owners personal pace 2 yrs ago to a commercial model...as i beat the daylights out of the home owner model for 6 yrs and it never quit,,zero complaints

Snapper Jack
06-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I have Snapper 21" Jet Vac that I purchased in the late nineties that has served me well with approximately 850 hrs on the clock and will strike close to 950 hrs this year with a Briggs motor that has seen just valve adjustments over the years. It's a bags great,decent side discharge and leaves a great cut. Parts are inexpensive to replace also,so that's a plus.

TheOctagon
06-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I see you have an ariens LM series. I just bought one w/ the kohler engine and straight axle. It seems to leave a lot of stragglers. Do you notice this with yours? I am talkin in a 100 foot path i could probably pick out 10 to 20. It drives me nuts. What am i doin wrong? I am even reducing my speed to under half what it can do and still doin it.

Yard-Dawg
06-19-2010, 11:46 PM
I see you have an ariens LM series. I just bought one w/ the kohler engine and straight axle. It seems to leave a lot of stragglers. Do you notice this with yours? I am talkin in a 100 foot path i could probably pick out 10 to 20. It drives me nuts. What am i doin wrong? I am even reducing my speed to under half what it can do and still doin it.

Mine did that when I used the OEM blade but I changed the blade on the LM as wel as on my PRO 21 and that made a diff. I don't thinkg the OEM's have enough lift. I just sold my LM and I want to get another one with the Kawasaki like my PRO has. That Kawasaki FJ80 is a beast! Let me know what you think of your LM when you get some time behind it.

Butler Landscaping
06-20-2010, 01:33 AM
I have Snapper 21" Jet Vac that I purchased in the late nineties that has served me well with approximately 850 hrs on the clock and will strike close to 950 hrs this year with a Briggs motor that has seen just valve adjustments over the years. It's a bags great,decent side discharge and leaves a great cut. Parts are inexpensive to replace also,so that's a plus.

old briggs are great the new ones are complete garbage, except the vanguard

TheOctagon
06-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Mine did that when I used the OEM blade but I changed the blade on the LM as wel as on my PRO 21 and that made a diff. I don't thinkg the OEM's have enough lift. I just sold my LM and I want to get another one with the Kawasaki like my PRO has. That Kawasaki FJ80 is a beast! Let me know what you think of your LM when you get some time behind it.

I am wishing i would have gotten the kawi but the kohler has decent power just seems like a tank compared to the lean mean kawi. What blade did you switch it to???? it is makin me crazy plus its tough to explain the stringers to my gf when she is complaining that our old Yardman cut nicer :confused:

ewemule
06-20-2010, 09:35 AM
One neighbors' Toro personal pace 6.5hp. I think it's a 22" but it's very nice.
My #1 push is an old Rally 22" deck with a 3.5 B&S and the very large old school spoked wheels. Soooo easy to use.
Marty

dwost
06-20-2010, 10:43 AM

I picked up the Pro21 this year as well, I've had no complaints as it runs strong and leaves a great cut. I've not switched out the blade yet but mine doesn't leave any straglers. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=315702&highlight=ariens

mowerbrad
06-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I thought Deere was going to be coming out with a new commercial grade 21" mower soon.

mowerknower
06-20-2010, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Mowingman;3611186]Your Ariens dealer is not telling you the truth. I was an Ariens/Gravely dealer, and my former partner in the store still is.
Ariens will build any of their mowers as soon as they get a few orders for them. They can shut down production of one mower model, and change over to build a few of another model in just an hour or two, due to the way their assembly plant is set up.

Actually his Ariens dealer is telling the truth. Although the problem is not on Ariens side, the problem is on Kawis side. They are waiting on the proper engines. Ours have been on backorder for a while. We were just able to get a few of last years models transferred from another dealer to get us by for a couple weeks.

Yard-Dawg
06-20-2010, 02:16 PM
I am wishing i would have gotten the kawi but the kohler has decent power just seems like a tank compared to the lean mean kawi. What blade did you switch it to???? it is makin me crazy plus its tough to explain the stringers to my gf when she is complaining that our old Yardman cut nicer :confused:

I tried a few but the one I am using now on my LM is a Gator & on my PRO-21 I just welded some lift wings (3/4" iron) onto the blade. This gives me lots of lift but the 5.5hp on the LM powers out easy when I put this blade on it so I keep it on the Kawasaki Pro-21.....I really like it in the spring when I get all those calls to clean up pine needles...it will suck up anything that is not rooted in.....If you try this modifacation be sure to balance the blade after adding the lift wings.

[QUOTE=Mowingman;3611186]Your Ariens dealer is not telling you the truth. I was an Ariens/Gravely dealer, and my former partner in the store still is.

Actually his Ariens dealer is telling the truth. Although the problem is not on Ariens side, the problem is on Kawis side. They are waiting on the proper engines. Ours have been on backorder for a while. We were just able to get a few of last years models transferred from another dealer to get us by for a couple weeks.

What is the difference in the Kawasaki engines? I heard there was a motor mixup on Ariens part.

mowerknower
06-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Ariens could not get the engine they wanted on time, so they ordered one with a longer crankshaft, then they spaced the engine up to compensate. Everything would have worked out great accept they used too long of engine bolts and they ended up poking a whole into the sump! This was not caught until the mowers hit the dealers. I had to install 15 new engines on stock units. Ariens is still waiting on the proper engines to get the 21 assembly line up and going again.

TheGoat
06-20-2010, 05:07 PM

Spectacularly unhelpful.

Well done, Sir.

lawnboy dan
06-20-2010, 05:52 PM
all his posts are spectaculary unhelpfull

TheGoat
06-20-2010, 06:05 PM
all his posts are spectaculary unhelpfull

Well at least he's consistent...

head_start
06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
One neighbors' Toro personal pace 6.5hp. I think it's a 22" but it's very nice.
My #1 push is an old Rally 22" deck with a 3.5 B&S and the very large old school spoked wheels. Soooo easy to use.
Marty

I thought no one had ever heard of the Rally! I like it, even though one of the owners of my accounst makes me use it, but i don't mind. The Rally just refuses to die, and cuts well.

Alan0354
06-20-2010, 06:40 PM
So far, the main engines used in 21" wb mowers are Honda GXV160, Kawi FJ180 and Kohler XT-7.

1) Is the Honda last that much longer to worth hundreds of dollars more. And also it is a smaller engine, Kawi should have more power to get the job done.

2) Kohler is used on a lot of the low end commercial mowers like Ariens LM etc. Does it last as long as the Kawi or Honda?

3) Some of the high end home owner mower use Honda GCV190 which has a cast lining also. How is the longivity compare to Kohler XT-7 engine?

Anyone look at the Husqvarna 7921? It might be cheap, but the deck seems pretty thick, it has ball bearing wheels. One model use Kohler XT-7, one swivel wheel use Honda GCV190 and other uses Honda GCV160.

J & D Greens
06-21-2010, 12:14 AM
we use toros, but have a few snappers we use during leaf season for our smaller lawns, they are hands down the best hi vac mower on the market, that i have used anyway. you can always use a snapper, order a tor online, shipped its like 1200, my dealer will match prices online, he has like 20 mowers in there right now.

Same here, cut with My Pro-lines, leaf season I break out my Commercial Snapper, but now it is time to move up to deck mowers.

head_start
06-21-2010, 12:34 AM
i need to buy a new self propelled rear bagger, and sort of quick, i have honda, cub cadet, john deere close, toro and exmark if i feel like driving for a little while. what should i do? imput would be great.

milkie62
06-21-2010, 04:30 AM
I had to go out and buy a push 21" asap since a spindle blew apart on my bigger walkbehind.Did not want to go overboard on price since this was suppose to be a temp mower till I got the parts.Ended up getting an MTD with a Honda engine.Side discharge,mulch and rear bagging.Big wheel push.It is really light and easy to put into the truck.Runs about an hr or more on a tank of gas which is pretty small.Gives an excellent cut.Will order a few parts for it to have on hand since I like it so much.Have one yard with about 40 trees to trim around which is why I need a small mower.Also have a Toro 21" commercial self-propelled but is too slow

J & D Greens
06-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Commercial Toro to slow? I am practically running behind mine if it is in third gear and 2nd gear is just the right pace for a good cut. You must need an adjustment or a new belt or something because I have three of them and they all go at a very brisk pace in third!

Yard-Dawg
06-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Spectacularly unhelpful.

Well done, Sir.

These people are refered to as "Post Hogs" on most forums!
In their minds it is all about their post count......Maybe he should go cut some grass rather than worry about trying to get 20,000 posts!:hammerhead:

milkie62
06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
I guess I will pull off the cover and check it.I already have turned the adjustment knob some.

Yard-Dawg
06-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Is the Toro Super bagger 20197 a good cutting mower? All I have to look at is the web site and they are a light weight mower and have the Honda engine. I want to get a mower that is as user friendly as my Ariens & Deere mowers are.

dwost
06-22-2010, 09:56 AM
I guess I will pull off the cover and check it.I already have turned the adjustment knob some.

I know on the Kawi FJ180 there is a pin with a clamp on the throttle linkage that can be loosened and slightly turned to increase RPM's which in turn increases pace. Be very careful as not to pump it up too high and fry the engine. Only a VERY and I mean VERY little adjustment is necessary to gain several rpm's. I did this on the Pro21 I just picked up and it not only runs quite briskly it has increased the suction and cut quality. Worth messing with for sure.

Alan0354
06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
I know on the Kawi FJ180 there is a pin with a clamp on the throttle linkage that can be loosened and slightly turned to increase RPM's which in turn increases pace. Be very careful as not to pump it up too high and fry the engine. Only a VERY and I mean VERY little adjustment is necessary to gain several rpm's. I did this on the Pro21 I just picked up and it not only runs quite briskly it has increased the suction and cut quality. Worth messing with for sure.

All these mower engines are running at about 3000rpm, why is it that critical not to increase too much?

If we increase 600rpm, it is still very low at 3600rpm. Even car engines run to 6000rpm.

dwost
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
All these mower engines are running at about 3000rpm, why is it that critical not to increase too much?

If we increase 600rpm, it is still very low at 3600rpm. Even car engines run to 6000rpm.

Heat mainly, you are comparing apples to oranges. Much easier to dissipate heat in larger forms. Also the internals are designed to withstand the excessive wear of running an engine at higher than normal RPM's. Most small mower engines will not handle this change very well.

Roger
06-22-2010, 10:45 PM

3) Some of the high end home owner mower use Honda GCV190 which has a cast lining also. How is the longivity compare to Kohler XT-7 engine?

The Honda GCV190 does not have a cylinder liner. The GSV190 does have a liner. The only mower that uses the GSV190 that I know about is the Toro model with single speed transmission. It is the model that came to market as a LawnBoy, but was rebadged as a Toro a year later. The GSV also has a larger air filter.

I have a GCV190 on a Honda HRX217 mower. It is used heavily every day. This is second season, and probably has at least 900 service hours. Some days it is run a full 8 hours, pushing through 5-6 tanks of fuel. I have only changed spark plug and air filter. It runs just as well now as when new. It uses no oil. Oil change is made once per week, and am running 10W-30 Shell Rotella. I did not expect to get two seasons from the "C" engine, but it seems to be doing well. I wish the "S" would be available on the HRX217, but only the "C" is offered.

Knight511
06-23-2010, 12:00 AM

So by that logic... since my car revs to 8600rpm, can I rev my mower that far out?

Cars and mowers... not the same thing.... ;) but that was already pointed out.

Alan0354
06-23-2010, 01:19 AM
So by that logic... since my car revs to 8600rpm, can I rev my mower that far out?

Cars and mowers... not the same thing.... ;) but that was already pointed out.

Engine get damage at high speed because the valve start to float, weight of moving part cause excess stress. My logic is the car have bigger piston and all, much heavier, also the valve is much bigger and heavier. So the bigger engine should be more critical than the small mower engine that is only about 200cc.

I am not comparing and 6000 rpm, I just said if the bigger engine with much bigger parts can rev that high, why the smaller engine cannot even rev to just a big over half the rpm. Yes I can see the temperature rise might cause the damage which means they don't design with enough margin for cooling. This mean they still going to run into problem in hot Arizona summer which is proved to be not true.

I am more questioning about the physics of it.

Alan0354
06-23-2010, 01:20 AM
The Honda GCV190 does not have a cylinder liner. The GSV190 does have a liner. The only mower that uses the GSV190 that I know about is the Toro model with single speed transmission. It is the model that came to market as a LawnBoy, but was rebadged as a Toro a year later. The GSV also has a larger air filter.

I have a GCV190 on a Honda HRX217 mower. It is used heavily every day. This is second season, and probably has at least 900 service hours. Some days it is run a full 8 hours, pushing through 5-6 tanks of fuel. I have only changed spark plug and air filter. It runs just as well now as when new. It uses no oil. Oil change is made once per week, and am running 10W-30 Shell Rotella. I did not expect to get two seasons from the "C" engine, but it seems to be doing well. I wish the "S" would be available on the HRX217, but only the "C" is offered.

You sure GCV190 don't have lining? I know GCV160 have no lining, but someone told me 190 has it.

Roger
06-23-2010, 07:17 AM
You sure GCV190 don't have lining? I know GCV160 have no lining, but someone told me 190 has it.

I find no liner in the engine assembly,

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Lawn%20Mower/0/HRX217%20HXA%20LAWN%20MOWER%2C%20USA%2C%20VIN%23%20MAGA-1000001/parts.html

Knight511
06-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Engines also get damaged with the force applied to the connecting rod exceeds the stress tolerances of the rod. You don't hear of too many mower engines floating a valve, but you hear of plenty breaking the rod. If I could upgrade my connecting rod and valve springs in my Honda engine on the mower, I would be a lot less scared to rev higher, but they simply are not going to last under the stress. Even if I could replace it, what is the rod:stroke ratio and how much side loading will the cylinder walls be subjected to? How long until the ring landing fail do to the additional side loading?

Point being... over revving (car, motorcycle, mower, etc) has some pretty bad risks involved... once outside the mfg tolerances, you really need some aftermarket support... and trust me, if I could get a turbo kit and all the internals to build a Honda mower V twin engine, I would be the first to be running the 40-50 HP turbo mower ;)

And a 600rpm over rev on a mower is 20%.... take that engine that revs to 6800rpm and apply the same logic and you would have an engine reving to 8160rpm to keep the comparison equal... and any stock big block from the big 3 that redlines at 6800rpm will blow itself apart at 8160... very few mfgs have engines that reliably rev that far out with no modifications (Honda comes to mind with the K20A going to 8600rpm and the F20C that takes it all the way to 9000rpm).

Knight511
06-23-2010, 09:48 AM
I find no liner in the engine assembly,

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Lawn%20Mower/0/HRX217%20HXA%20LAWN%20MOWER%2C%20USA%2C%20VIN%23%20MAGA-1000001/parts.html

All cylinder bores have a liner (if not, there wouldn't be a cylinder bore)... the more specific thing to have said is that the GSV engines have a cast iron liner that can stand up to MUCH more abuse than the liner in the standard GCV. That being said, like was already said, the GCV eengines are still very nice and will last a long time with proper maintenance.

deere-man
06-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Cub Cadet makes a well built self propelled mower that comes with side discharge capability, mulch, or bagging. They have the Honda engines on them; currently I have two of them and they cut great and have held up really well.

garyo
06-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't see any mower on their site with a Honda engine. All mowers have a Cub Cadet engine. Whatever that might be.

Alan0354
06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Engines also get damaged with the force applied to the connecting rod exceeds the stress tolerances of the rod. You don't hear of too many mower engines floating a valve, but you hear of plenty breaking the rod. If I could upgrade my connecting rod and valve springs in my Honda engine on the mower, I would be a lot less scared to rev higher, but they simply are not going to last under the stress. Even if I could replace it, what is the rod:stroke ratio and how much side loading will the cylinder walls be subjected to? How long until the ring landing fail do to the additional side loading?

Point being... over revving (car, motorcycle, mower, etc) has some pretty bad risks involved... once outside the mfg tolerances, you really need some aftermarket support... and trust me, if I could get a turbo kit and all the internals to build a Honda mower V twin engine, I would be the first to be running the 40-50 HP turbo mower ;)

And a 600rpm over rev on a mower is 20%.... take that engine that revs to 6800rpm and apply the same logic and you would have an engine reving to 8160rpm to keep the comparison equal... and any stock big block from the big 3 that redlines at 6800rpm will blow itself apart at 8160... very few mfgs have engines that reliably rev that far out with no modifications (Honda comes to mind with the K20A going to 8600rpm and the F20C that takes it all the way to 9000rpm).

I don't know enough about the mower engines, just asking the question. I crank my Troybilt engine really up to get better suction, other than using gas like crazy, still hanging in there......in this case, I hope it blow up so I can justify to my big boss ( wife) that I need a real mower!!! If that stupid thing survive for another year, I might have to go with sand!!!!:laugh:

Knight511
06-23-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't see any mower on their site with a Honda engine. All mowers have a Cub Cadet engine. Whatever that might be.

I thought the same thing except there is a single model on their site that does have the GCV190... one of the ones with front casters.

milkie62
06-24-2010, 01:30 AM
My Toro is the 2 stroke commercial.I bought it used a few years ago for $150.The rpm have always been on the low side IMO.I would have thought that a 2 stroke would be running at a higher rpm.It may be running higher than I think for the size of the muffler.

Yard-Dawg
06-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know what the new Deere Commercial mower that is coming but never came is called or where can a fellow get some info on the proto type?

Knowing Deere of lately it is likely made by someone else already and they are trying to convince them to paint it green, just have to find out who is make it now!

KyleOH
06-27-2010, 10:01 PM

then why even post in this thread. annoying.

i like my toro recycler 22 very much. its FWD but i find that i like it better than a RWD machine because you can turn it around much easier. my only complaint is the bagger seems small and fills up quickly but i usually mulch. and yep it does start on the first pull every time. nice machine wouldn't have another model.

rain man
06-27-2010, 10:10 PM
We bought a snapper hi-vac for almost 600.00 (not commercial). When it rains it gets water in the air filter. Make sure when you turn it off that the throttle is set to slow. If not, it will absolutely not start up. Hope there is a recall.

Fireguy119
06-27-2010, 10:17 PM
We use hondas commercially and they are awsome. I have a yardman :O with a honda engine that was a house warming gift 8 years ago. I've been trying to kill it so i can go buy a new one. The beast wont quit. I haven't used any other type mower, but i will not switch because i have never had any complaints. Honda is an elite engine!

Yard-Dawg
07-13-2010, 11:24 PM
We use hondas commercially and they are awsome. I have a yardman :O with a honda engine that was a house warming gift 8 years ago. I've been trying to kill it so i can go buy a new one. The beast wont quit. I haven't used any other type mower, but i will not switch because i have never had any complaints. Honda is an elite engine!

There is no doubt the Japanese engines are good but I have to say, I have some Briggs on a few Deere mowers that don't owe me anything. They are not the best mower that you might expect from Deere but they are cheap to operate and the resale value to the home-owners is always great when I am done. I can buy a $400.00 mower run it for 3 years and sell it for $250.00, I am happy with that.
I have tried to do the same with high end mowers but they are hard to sell afterwards because people just don't want to spend $600-$800 for a used mower.

shooterm
07-23-2010, 01:03 AM
When I was younger I bought a $20 dollar crapsman from the shopper an used it as my mower. I miss it I think it weighed like 60lbs was probably zip tied together but at 14 I could push it like nothing. Now I have a JS60 that like 110lbs of crap. Deck should be weigh alot less no reason for HD deck if you scrape it and lube it. Someone needs to make a simple light shallow deck with locked in wheel settings of actual different heights and a good motor. I might just have a local welder fab a deck :).

shooterm
07-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Best thing is my JD push is plumb full of worthles worthless plastic. Even though I've lost half of it I still think it weighs it down.

jiggz
07-23-2010, 01:27 AM
snapper hi-vac.. or lawnboy rearbagger painted red with Toro stickers.. thats al ive used and there both great

summej
08-04-2010, 07:27 AM
I HAVE 2 -21" SNAPPERS. Can't say enough about the quality of Snapper. 1 came with the 7.5 briggs. Piece of crap motor. I have never had good luck with briggs. I hear Briggs just purchased Snapper I was sad to hear that. My Briggs Lasted about 100 hours. The other snapper has a 10 year old Honda on it. I just repowered the one with the Briggs Was going to purchase a new Honda motor from northern Tool for about $200. I started doing some research and ended up purchasing a Chonda (Chinese Honda cloan) from Harbor freight. $99 purchased the 3 year $20 warranty. Bolted right on. took off the flywheel brake and installed a $2 kill switch. I was sceptical with this chinese motor at first. I don't like wasting my time with cheap crap. But the quality of many Chinese products have improved greatly. This is what i kept reading on line so I went out on a limb with the Chonda. I Installed a new Ninja blase ($25 ebay. ) Had to fab a diffuser for the muffler with the welder since it was blowing on the plastic deck snorkle. Just welded a piece of sheet metal on the muffler. Bought the mulching plug $12. The one thing I wish it had was an oil filter. Snapper also has the Kawasaki model. This is what i would Purchase if I was in the market for a new 21"

Johnny test
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
I got a Deere JS45 with the swivel front wheels. I payed $510.00 at Lowes about 2 years ago. I like Deere but this design kinda sucks for me. First with the swivel wheels in the front, keeping it in a straight line looks like a child trying to ride a bike for the first time. Second the swivels get caught on everything (mowing parallel along fences is dam near impossible). Like someone said before there is way to much plastic. The drive system is good once you get used to it except that it doesn't like to let go when you pull backwards every time (I end up getting pissed and dragging the mower) The 8hp motor is dam good. I guess the design works better in some ways but lacks in others. I will be getting both fixed wheeled and swivel.

head_start
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
I now have the snapper with the kowasaki, and its amazing. It bags like a champ!

18lmslcsr
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
So, is there a diagnosable/legitimate problem with the Professional Series 8.75 with dura bore?
As I just purchased a brand new Snapper a few days ago and this came on it.

C.