PDA

View Full Version : Front mounts?

KPW LawnCare
06-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Lets make this the thread for front mount mowers. What brands and models. The good and the bads. And some pictures. And general info about them.

MikeKle
06-19-2010, 01:13 AM
besides the grasshoppers and walkers, no one uses those big beasts anymore! I still have a big Gravely 30-H outfront sitting in my garage and cant decide what to do with it? They are just too big and heavy versus ZTRs that everyone now uses, but in their days, they were the best mower you could get, and for someone with a very large yard, they would still be great, they have loads of power, but are fairly slow, and some even have 4x4, I do like that, although it didnt work all that great when it was stuck! I would actually still use my gravely on some yards if it didnt have a hydraulic pressure problem and need thousands in repairs.

Lehighlawnpros
06-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi KPW,
We've been using Grasshopper 700 series frontmounts exclusively for 16 1/2 years. We mow all residential properties, and most are 1/4 acre in size.
Our current primary machine is a 722D diesel 52" and size/weight is no problem as long as your good with turning and don't mow in the same tracks every time.

Outfront advantages include better deck reach/visibility and easier deck maintenance, especially with Grasshopper's "Powerfold" system.

The Grasshoppers with liquid-cooled Kubota engines (gas or diesel) have proved to be extremely durable for us as well with greater than 7,000 hours service life possible with good maintenance.

Also, I think that the ride quality is generally better with frontmounts.

Our frontmounts aren't slow, they go about 10 MPH and the ride quality is good enough that you can actually mow that fast in the right conditions.

SouthSide Cutter
06-19-2010, 11:14 PM
I have had 3 GrassHoppers and if I wasnt mowing comm. and was just mowing my yard I would have a GrassHopper out front series

Tommy T41
06-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Are the out front decks shaft driven? Have no experience and a neighbor that mows commercial says he was told the problem with the GrassHopper was with the shaft driven decks? Wanted my thought and I can not give him any info because I have absolutely no experience with these. He is also telling me that the problem is the shaft will jam or break over the long run because it is solid mounted? My thought is it would have to have a CV type joint, I just do not know for sure. If you have any info on this, it would surely be appreciated.

Lehighlawnpros
06-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Are the out front decks shaft driven? Have no experience and a neighbor that mows commercial says he was told the problem with the GrassHopper was with the shaft driven decks? Wanted my thought and I can not give him any info because I have absolutely no experience with these. He is also telling me that the problem is the shaft will jam or break over the long run because it is solid mounted? My thought is it would have to have a CV type joint, I just do not know for sure. If you have any info on this, it would surely be appreciated.

Hi Tommy,

Yes, they are shaft driven, they are mounted in greaseable "pillowblock bearings", have greaseable U-joints close to the deck, and attach to a 90 degree gearbox in the deck.

Very reliable if you keep them greased, I've never had one jam or break in 16 1/2 years and more than 15,000 hours on three machines.
I have had to replace the gearboxes occasionally.

Sammy
06-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I have had to replace the gearboxes occasionally.

My oldest out front has a howling gearbox right now.
Need to look into it to see what is wrong.

Lehighlawnpros
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
My oldest out front has a howling gearbox right now.
Need to look into it to see what is wrong.

Hi Sammy,

It's usually the bearings/oil seals that fail, if you catch it soon enough they can be rebuilt fairly easily.

kuokkamies
06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
KPW you did ask pictures, there is a short home made movie from Finland, Grasshopper 620T. Do not mind the text, it is Finnish language. Pictures tells more than.....
http://www.youtube.com/user/kuokkamies#p/a/u/0/btm9bI9D1dM

Grasscape Inc
06-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I have a Deere F680 out fornt w/ MCS.

Great cut w/ the driveshaft, and attachments availble..Great uner pine tress ect and for close trimmer..

Too many parts (to break) and too complicated of a set-up for on-off all day trailer operations I feel.

rmdm94
06-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I have a piece of crap diesel Exmark Frontrunner, It overheats all the time and rattles like crazy.It will overheat 4-5 times on a 5 acre lawn we mow.We also have a diesel Grasshopper out front deck and are mowing right beside the exmark and can go all day without it even getting hot. My employees love the out front deck and want me to get a grasshopper for our next mower.

meets1
06-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I have a frontrunner diesel exmark. My guys love the machine - sorry to here about your horry story RMDM94. I don't like the feel of the little stick but mowing is great, powerfull and easy to use and able to get under things that the Z's can not.