PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever mow with their blades not engaged?

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
06-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Because I go distracted and did it last week. Made about 4 passes before I realized I wasnt cutting grass.

You see, on my 3rd to last account of the day, the transmission in my Honda 21 went. At the 2nd to last account, I started mowing with the WB and my dad lifted up the Honda, put it into gear and showed me the wheels still spun if they were in teh air, but as soon as you dropped it down it wouldnt move. I disengaged the blades and idled down to hear him..then just throttled back up and started mowing. Doh!

93Chevy
06-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Haha, at least you had blades on your machine. That's happened to me before...oops, forgot the put the blades back on after sharpening.

mowisme
06-19-2010, 07:54 AM
shhh..I would keep that one quiet..but yes- has happened. I had a relative have me look at his rider..said blades all sharp but cutting like crap..all three blades were put on up side down.

TLS
06-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Never happened....

You'd have to be deaf to NOT hear the roar!

I have forgotten to LOWER the deck from transport height though!

Beckham
06-19-2010, 09:05 AM
.......I have forgotten to LOWER the deck from transport height though!

Made me chuckle reading this......Hate to admit it but as the old saying goes if I had a dollar for every time that has happened?:sleeping:

topsites
06-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Don't you just hate it, coming around for pass three (or four) it's like hmmm,
why ain't that grass looking like it got cut right, hmmmm, say...
WTF...
Hmmmm....
Dammit WTH is wrong with this POS lawn mower!!!

And right about then...
Ohhhh....

Haven't had this happen in a long time but in my early years it happened more than once.
Apparently in the later years we get much better at it so that doesn't happen anymore,
this is a good thing but for some reason THIS comes around:

I have forgotten to LOWER the deck from transport height though!

Same here, more than once.

Grubrunner
06-19-2010, 09:43 AM
shhh..I would keep that one quiet....

Agreed.

That's one of those things you don't really share with folks.

A bit like that butt-ugly, fat girl we've all got it on with at least once in our lives.....

:sleeping:

LuvdaPack36
06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I was working with a guy a while back who was in the backyard. I had gotten done with the front and I went back to check on him. He had not engaged the blades. I walked up to him and stopped him. Leaned over and said " hang on, I have something that will help cut the grass better" and engaged the blades.

He just dropped his head and started to laugh.

watatrp
06-19-2010, 07:02 PM
I've had hired help that have done that. I always stop them after the first pass and tell them it was a good looking "warm up" lap but now they can go for the real thing and turn the blades on.

LCCaptain
06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
I have never done that but I have made a couple passed on my z without dropping the deck down.

ShooterK2
06-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Wow, I got crucified on here a while back for saying how I accidentally poured the wrong fuel into my blower (straight gas instead of pre-mix), and I didn't even run it that way before I noticed.........and now everyone is saying how they have all "mowed without the blades turning".........

With that being said, however, yes, I've done it too. Never got very far though.....before I noticed.

93Chevy: a good way to make sure you don't forget to put the blades back on after sharpening is to keep the mower on the jack (or whatever you use to lift it) while you sharpen, then put them back on before letting the mower down. Or (my preferred method), keep 2 sets of blades and just swap them out. Sharpen the set that's off when you have time, so you always have a sharp set ready to go.

Just my $0.02

Hell on Blades
06-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Did it once. Never again.

I keep three sets of blades -- one on mower, one in truck (emergency set) and one at the shop.

Better yet, had help last summer when I was really busy. Dad asked if he could mow for awhile, said he could handle the mower. He mowed three passes without he blades running before he gave up on his squirrley lines.

yardguy28
06-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Haha, at least you had blades on your machine. That's happened to me before...oops, forgot the put the blades back on after sharpening.

haha......i did that once too. forgot to put the blades on after sharpening them. get to my first client of the day and i engage the blades and you don't hear that all to familiar sound when they engage. look underneath thinking somethings wrong.......doh......no blades. had to have my dad bring them to me.

freshprince94
06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Never mowed without blades before but yesterday I finished an entire property and right as I started up the truck to leave I realized I completely forgot to mow the backyard (gated).

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
06-20-2010, 03:24 PM
If anyone denies ever doing this they are lying, LOL.... I've done it, stop to talk to someone or pick something out of lawn and get back on and go and forget to turn them back on, lol..... Didn't make it very far before realizing it though...

yardguy28
06-20-2010, 04:15 PM
i'm not lying....i've never forgotten to engage blades but as i said before i made it to my first property of the day with no blades on the mower. and i also have mowed with the blades engaged but the deck all the way up. didn't go far before i realized it wasn't cutting the grass......