PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mowing today in the heat?

MikeKle
06-19-2010, 10:32 AM
It is supposed to be really hot today, ad most of next week too, today they are saying it will feel like 105 to 110 with mid to upper 90s temps and mid 90s humidity! It just rained here pretty hard, so I am waiting for a bit to go out, but Im going to do it, as long as it doesnt rain, which is highly likely due to that high of humidity, but if it does, it wont rain til I get to my first yard and get the mower unloaded, then it will start!

MS_SURVEYOR
06-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I will be latter today. First I have this 1 acre spot that has a bunch of young brush trees coming up I need to pull with a tree puller.

http://www.extractigator.com/extractigator001006.jpg

The trees are no where near as big as the one in the picture. I could mow them down, but the problem won't go away. You bet it's going to be HOT! Then I'll be trying to mow as much grass as I can the rest of the day. But what are you going to do? It is summer!! :cry:

Richard Martin
06-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm just messing around at the house. I sharpened the blades on the Dixie, washed up and sharpened the blades on the Ferris and sprayed some Glyphosate in the back ditches. Now it's about lunchtime and then time for a nap.

mowerbrad
06-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I've just got to mow my neighbor's lawn down the street, didn't have time to do theirs on Thursday. Luckily its supposed to be a little cooler today, only 86....yesterday it was 90.

topsites
06-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes but more than likely several of them are not going to need it so I can put them
off to next week, we're short on rain and in this heat it's just not growing, still
have to make the rounds to go see thou.

Which, it's fine by me, I don't mind a little running around in the a/c of the truck lol
I'm sure some will need it too.

freshprince94
06-19-2010, 11:09 AM
It is supposed to be really hot today, ad most of next week too, today they are saying it will feel like 105 to 110 with mid to upper 90s temps and mid 90s humidity! It just rained here pretty hard, so I am waiting for a bit to go out, but Im going to do it, as long as it doesnt rain, which is highly likely due to that high of humidity, but if it does, it wont rain til I get to my first yard and get the mower unloaded, then it will start!

Pretty much describes every day down in Florida.

BINKY1902
06-19-2010, 12:43 PM
It was 99 degrees here yesterday, heat index 110. I was out for 10 hrs yesterday, drank almost 3 gallons of water. Not to mention 4 32 oz Gatorades.

R & R Yard Designs
06-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Diging out a patio today and going to finsh it tomm
Posted via Mobile Device

AzLawnMan
06-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I've just got to mow my neighbor's lawn down the street, didn't have time to do theirs on Thursday. Luckily its supposed to be a little cooler today, only 86....yesterday it was 90.

90 is hot? It has been 108 all week here in Arizona. My crews go through 5 gallons of water, a DAY!! I actually got sunburn thursday for the first time in years. But dry heat is better than high humidity.

mowerbrad
06-19-2010, 01:41 PM
90 is hot? It has been 108 all week here in Arizona. My crews go through 5 gallons of water, a DAY!! I actually got sunburn thursday for the first time in years. But dry heat is better than high humidity.

Yes 90 is hot...especially with high humidity :)

Dry heat is definately different, though I may take the 90 degrees over the 108.

If it could just be 72 all year long, I would be happy!

T.E.
06-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Well of course! What does heat have to do with whether or not I'm mowing? :waving:

clydebusa
06-19-2010, 05:08 PM
As Robin Williams said in good morning vietnam, its hot damn hot!

Hell on Blades
06-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Not mowing today -- mowed Thurs, took Friday off.

Heat was bad -- I went thru 36 bottles of water in 10 hours.

Tues is a pressure wash and wed a deck stain. Mowing again on Thursday, but only 6 hours.

The heat is bad -- by the way - heard about theft from landscape trailers in the Fort Mitchell, Fort Wright area -- Heads up

yardguy28
06-19-2010, 05:16 PM
the temps never stop me from working if i have work scheduled. did a mulch job this morning. but in the 4 years i've been in business so far i have yet to stop working because of the temp. rain yes but because it's gonna be hot is about the stupidest reason i can think of to not work. "oh i'm not going to work because it's to hot out". the heat is bareable and if you take breaks when needed and drink plenty of fluids you will be fine.

Hell on Blades
06-19-2010, 05:30 PM
the temps never stop me from working if i have work scheduled. did a mulch job this morning. but in the 4 years i've been in business so far i have yet to stop working because of the temp. rain yes but because it's gonna be hot is about the stupidest reason i can think of to not work. "oh i'm not going to work because it's to hot out". the heat is bareable and if you take breaks when needed and drink plenty of fluids you will be fine.

I know we're not all in high school, and since I'm solo I can be responsible for myself. But for those with crews, think about this:

The KHSAA (Kentucky High school Athletic Assoc.) has strict guidelines about heat. At a heat index of 100 degrees Fahrenheit (not just 94 degrees), no footballer may wear a helmet or pads, and a 5 minute water break MUST be given every 30 minutes. At 104, all outside activities must cease immediately.

I'm not saying I stop, but be mindful of what the heat can do to your, and your crew members' bodies.

grassman177
06-19-2010, 07:26 PM
94 today, and then at lunch it dropped to 65 and windy, blew up a really nasty storm. we went home for a couple hours and went back out to finish the day. it was a great day, we had 4 standers and 4 guys on my crew, mowed about 40 places in a total for the day of 7.75 hrs.

yardguy28
06-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I know we're not all in high school, and since I'm solo I can be responsible for myself. But for those with crews, think about this:

The KHSAA (Kentucky High school Athletic Assoc.) has strict guidelines about heat. At a heat index of 100 degrees Fahrenheit (not just 94 degrees), no footballer may wear a helmet or pads, and a 5 minute water break MUST be given every 30 minutes. At 104, all outside activities must cease immediately.

I'm not saying I stop, but be mindful of what the heat can do to your, and your crew members' bodies.

my father is a doctor and my mother was a nurse. i know what the heat can do to the body.

that being said. i don't care what any other people are doing or what there policies and procedures are for the heat.

if i need and want to work i'm gonna work. i do happen to be solo but if i ever have crews they are gonna work as well. anyone that doesn't want to work in the heat is more than welcome to take the day off with out pay.

i was the one who chose to work in the this profession knowing full well it can get extremely hot, it can rain, it can be windy, it can get extremely cold, etc. if i didn't want to or wasn't willing to work in these conditions i wouldn't have chosen this profession.