PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new mower for the first time, any TIPS?

MowingMowingMowing
06-19-2010, 04:13 PM
This will be the first time I buy a mower NEW. I plan on paying in cash. I've called the dealers that have the Snapper Pro 48/17 and it looks like $4199 is the price. I've bought the majority of my other purchases from this dealers as well (trimmers, blowers, etc.).

Is there any negotiating tips I should know about? Would getting something like a bagger at a nice discount be normal (or am I just hoping for too much lol).

Basically, I'm just looking for some words of wisdom from everybody that's been through this before and will take the time to help me out.

Thanks.

jay317
06-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Get a nice used Dixie Chopper and call it the day
Posted via Mobile Device

MowingMowingMowing
06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Get a nice used Dixie Chopper and call it the day
Posted via Mobile Device

Nahhh not practical for my accounts.

HighGrass
06-19-2010, 07:31 PM
I think it's just as important to look at who's going to be servicing and supporting it as well as what make it is. It's easy to call other dealers and find out whether the price is right. I don't think there are alot of "Bad" machines out there. If it's solid, it will do what you ask of it (within design limits). If you take care of it, it will last.

MowingMowingMowing
06-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I think it's just as important to look at who's going to be servicing and supporting it as well as what make it is. It's easy to call other dealers and find out whether the price is right. I don't think there are alot of "Bad" machines out there. If it's solid, it will do what you ask of it (within design limits). If you take care of it, it will last.

I have really good dealer support for just about any make (particularly Ferris, Snapper, Exmark, etc.). I think that Snapper is the best bang for the buck at $4199. The comparable Ferris was $2000 more than that and the only real differences was in the front tires and that it is electric start. If money grew on trees, I'd buy Exmark, but I'm convinced they think they are selling machines with gold or something inside of them with the way they are priced these days.

Essentially, the dealer support is there for just about any machine, but I'm still sticking with the Snapper Pro.

Anyone else have anything to add??? I'm all ears.

MONTE
06-19-2010, 10:36 PM
You have posted location midwest were in the midwest are you? Are you sure about the snapper thing? Around here support for them is lacking in my opinion. However may not be were you are however.

GreenGuysLC
06-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Price isnt everything . . . Look at the Maintenence of the machince, like changing belts in the field... oil change, spark plugs. hydro pump sizes make a difference. Deck construction is definitely a HUGE factor. I operate Exmarks and the decks are TOUGH. .. but so are TORO . . and Ferris . . .Dealer service and support are important as well as what warranty goeswith it. usually the better commercial machines are going to run in the 6-8k range. 41 sounds like a mid range, maybe high end RESIDENTIAL unit.

rain man
06-19-2010, 11:31 PM
A high volume dealer with lots of mechanics and a large parts inventory helps me sleep better at night.

MowingMowingMowing
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
You have posted location midwest were in the midwest are you? Are you sure about the snapper thing? Around here support for them is lacking in my opinion. However may not be were you are however.

I am right on the MO/IL border in South St. Louis. Scotts Power has them and they are really good dealers, 24 hour turnaround, and good service.

I've heard nothing but good things from people I know that have run them. I'm going in this week, we'll see what happens