PDA

View Full Version : posion ivy

2brothersyardcare
06-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Well ya it sucks but what do you use to get it off you'r tools and clothes?

topsites
06-19-2010, 08:04 PM
The stuff releases some type of a oily substance so whatever you do,
don't wash with water or scratch because that only spreads it!

I have found washing my skin with a type of grease-cutting dishwashing
detergent such as Dawn works with some success but don't be afraid to go
HEAVY on the soap.

As for clothes, I just wash them and CAREFULLY add as much dishwashing detergent as
I can get away with but be DANG CAREFUL because the stuff WILL FOAM!!!
Might have to double wash.

Some folks say butter helps cut through the oil as well.

And I would recommend a degreaser but I'm not sure how that would work on skin, might be all right on clothes, not sure.
Lava or pumice type of automotive hand cleaner MIGHT work.

ajslands
06-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Cut the little dots in half and put vinager on it. It will hurt but it helps!
I think vodka works too!
But I use aveeno it's like a skin wash for dry and itchy skin and help cures poisin ivy.
Oh also don't scratch the family gym! Because it sux getting It there!
And if you want to stop the itching, turn the hot water on (as hot as you can stand) put it all over the affected area; it stops triggering the itch feeling!

Or you could scratch until you bleed!
Posted via Mobile Device

watson524
06-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Actually, you shouldn't wash yourself with warm/hot water when you have it on you. It opens your pores and spreads the oils. Best to use cold water to get as much of the oils off as possible. That oil can "live" on clothes and tools for a long time after it's touch. Alcohol is a good wipe down method.

dougdm
06-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Here is a good one, when I was a child and got covered in it. My doctor told my mom to wash me down with beer, my father nearly had a cow :cry: when my mom grabbed a beer out of the fridge. From there on out, when I know that I got into it, I take a chilled beer, not cold, and rub it in and then take as cool of a shower as i can. Supposedly the beer is able to remove and rinse off the oil off your skin. who knew?:drinkup::drinkup:

TroutBum
06-19-2010, 09:18 PM
TECNU. Oak-n-ivy brand Tecnu. Apply to skin before messing with ivy. Wash clothes with it. It is great stuff. The forest service keeps this stuff in their first aid kits.

jimshack
06-19-2010, 10:49 PM
after I got it for the 5th time this year I finally went and got a shot and asked him what to use. He recommended Zanfel. I bought some, $35 for a little bitty tube. I haven't used it yet, since the shots haven't worn off, it's gotta be better than calamine though.

procut
06-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Try this at you own risk:

1. Get good and drunk
2. Poke all the blisters with a needle
3. Pour beach on your skin.

I once talked to a guy who swore this cleared up poison ivy over-night. I have yet to try it...

ajslands
06-20-2010, 01:26 AM
You don't poke the dots because if bleach get in your blood it will send to to the hospital. But you can put it over your your rash. It will also dry your skin.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
06-20-2010, 05:32 AM
I didn't know there was a problem with poison ivy. You cut it, trim it, whatever, and go home. Yeah, I'm one of those guys that it has little to no effect on. I have one grass customer that has it all of the way down his fence. Kinda like English Ivy. I trim it vertically every week. It never bothers me.

jrhesfine
06-20-2010, 08:39 AM
I carry gojo on my truck, if I get in ivy or oak as long as clean my skin with gojo it I will not break out. I try to clean my skin within twenty minutes.

2brothersyardcare
06-20-2010, 09:11 AM
see i haven't been is the crap for a month and it keeps coming back. for the skin my doctor told me ban rolon all over you before and after you come in contact with it. More in portability how do i get it off my equipment?

whosedog
06-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I have one hedge that I trim for a neighbor that is full of poison ivy.I wear a long sleeve shirt and gloves when I do it,then wash arms with any hand cleaner that can remove paint and oil(like boraxo orange heavy duty hand cleaner from Home Depot) So far this year I've avoided it;knock on wood. It's the hidden stuff that gets me,the weedwacker throws it on you and you don't realize it was poison ivy till you start itching.And once you get it and sweat,the sweating spreads it,nasty stuff.
To get it off your equipment,wash it (power wash if you have one)with a degreaser,that will remove the ivy oil.

ajslands
06-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Ou know what sux a lot!??!!!! I just got it. $h!3t!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
06-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Cold water works best for getting rid of the itch feeling
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerman11
06-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I can walk past poison ivy and it jumps on me. lol I don't even have to be close to it. Poison ivy is just a part of my life until the winter comes. Using solid laundry detergent in the shower helps dry it out. It usually takes about two days for the poison ivy to show up after you come into contact with it. Im also very allergic to grass pollen...

ajslands
06-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Ya I didn't start Noticing the rash until this morning. About 24 hours after coming into contact with it
Posted via Mobile Device

dhunterd08
06-20-2010, 05:57 PM
I can walk past poison ivy and it jumps on me. lol I don't even have to be close to it. Poison ivy is just a part of my life until the winter comes. Using solid laundry detergent in the shower helps dry it out. It usually takes about two days for the poison ivy to show up after you come into contact with it. Im also very allergic to grass pollen...

right there with you. first outbreak of the year gets a cortisone shot sometime around April. After that it stays on my legs and spreads a little more every once in a while until November......My favorite part is when I shave and dont realize I have it.......

Heavyduty1
06-20-2010, 06:19 PM
I got it one time during the winter, when I was digging a hole to bury a light pole. Dug down about 3 feet and hit some bricks. Reached in to get the bricks out and got a bad rash on my arms. Who would of thought.

If you aint allergic to it, don't brag too much, things change.

ajslands
06-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Oh ya if you have immunity now, it can go away!
Posted via Mobile Device

2brothersyardcare
06-20-2010, 07:17 PM
well band roll on is what im using and these steroid pills

xclusive
06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
I have gotten it 5 times this year already. Once I notice it iI put on Olux or Clobetasol Propionate which are both a doctor prescribed foam that you are only suppose to use 2 times a day. I usually put it on like 6 times a day for the first few days and it really does a good job at taking care of it. I have tried many other products and this works the best for me.

N.TX
06-20-2010, 08:50 PM
i pour dishsoap on my boots and tools and then pressure wash them ....yes my boots too

2brothersyardcare
06-20-2010, 10:03 PM
i pour dishsoap on my boots and tools and then pressure wash them ....yes my boots too

see thats what i was looking for should have asked you on fb lol

dhunterd08
06-21-2010, 01:08 AM
careful with those steroids 2 brothers. One word INSOMNIA. Working 12 hour days and not being able to sleep is worse then the 4-18 times i got poison ivy in my eyes.....

2brothersyardcare
06-21-2010, 01:28 PM
they were proscribed but im eating so much ******* side affects