PDA

View Full Version : Hustler double cut....Scags and double cutting?

JohnBanks
06-19-2010, 07:45 PM
My Hustler is almost always a double cut in fescue with weeds because it leaves a ton of stragglers. I am not sure if RPM's are down,but it is brand new. On turf fescue it is a one pass machine.

It makes me really mad that I have to do that, if you run a Scag 12mph in tall growth 3 inch with fox tails how often do you guys have to double cut.

ShooterK2
06-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't have to double cut Fescue with my Scag walk-behind. Then again, I don't mow at 12 mph and expect good results either.

Grass Shark
06-19-2010, 08:13 PM
if i mow tall weeds with my mini z it leaves straglers at any speed, because the deck on the hustler is not deep (it was mainly designed to be a finish mower on nice turf). If I pull my exmark lazer z off the trailer I can hit it one swipe and done. the deck on the exmark is like 2.5 inches deeper than the hustler.

SouthSide Cutter
06-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I can mow my yard wide open but the cut is not as good as a slower speed. I have mowed and did one today grass that is 2ft tall and thick. had to cut it 3 times to make it look right. If I was a client I wouldnt want my yard cut at 12mph.

mowerbrad
06-19-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't care what mower you are cutting with, mowing at 12mph will only negatively affect the cut quality....some mowers can do it better than others, but you will still see a poorer cut quality.

If you are leaving stragglers at 12mph, there is no problem with your mower...if you are leaving stragglers at 5mph with weekly growth, then you may have a problem.

JohnBanks
06-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Those 737's would mow at 10mpg and not leave hardly anything. If you mow at 5mph with a any 8000 to 11000 mower i think you should by a freakin walker.

All I am saying is that i have to double cut with a Hustler, do you have to double cut with a scag in spring growth, especially this years nutzo rain growth in the midwest.

theheisk
06-19-2010, 09:53 PM
I run a scag tt and a wright sentar and when it comes to weeds both will leave straglers. Normal turf at a weeks growth both machines will cut on a single pass. Thicker or wet turf is where the scag stands out. I ran a exmark last year and I will have to say it did handle the weeds alot better....still left a few straglers but not as bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthSide Cutter
06-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Those 737's would mow at 10mpg and not leave hardly anything. If you mow at 5mph with a any 8000 to 11000 mower i think you should by a freakin walker.

All I am saying is that i have to double cut with a Hustler, do you have to double cut with a scag in spring growth, especially this years nutzo rain growth in the midwest.

I do not double cut anything but pond dams and something that looks like a hayfield. Have the Velocity decks.

scagmanjosh
06-19-2010, 11:38 PM
My Tiger Cub w/ Velocity 48" will only leave a few visible half cut stringers if mowing full stick in very thin, tall weeds-- but its 100% better than what my Craftsman used to do mowing at half that speed.

Even in those conditions I can slow to 6-8mph and not have a problem. I have never had to double cut with it, unless just trying something stupid like cutting 8-12" thick grass full stick. Slow it down a little and it'll bushhog...

MS_SURVEYOR
06-20-2010, 01:02 AM
I mow mostly Bahia and junk. I don't run either mower, but I have learned one very good tip from puppypaws & others here. I lowered my deck height from 4 inches to 3-1/2 inches. Seems to give me more lift. Now I don't mow at very fast speeds. 5 to 6 mph. But I really don't want to double cut, and I don't want any straglers. I watch a lot of LCO mow. I really can't say I see any one mowing faster than 5 or 6 mph. Must be a regional thing being able to run fast on easy grass, because you're not going to do that in Central Mississippi!

:drinkup:

Hoy landscaping
06-20-2010, 08:07 PM
shouldnt be mowing at full speed anyway. cut quality goes down the shitter when your at full speed. especially with bumpy yards because you, the mower and the deck zre bouncing all over.

gene gls
06-20-2010, 10:01 PM
My Hustler is almost always a double cut in fescue with weeds because it leaves a ton of stragglers. I am not sure if RPM's are down,but it is brand new. On turf fescue it is a one pass machine.

It makes me really mad that I have to do that, if you run a Scag 12mph in tall growth 3 inch with fox tails how often do you guys have to double cut.

If you are running a 60" deck, go to MowMore site and order a set of SC21HL. They are the 3" wide blades with a 1.5" lift listed under Scag. They draw a lot of HP and you have 31HP engin so you should have enough power to turn them. They will give you the lift you need for a clean cut.