PDA

View Full Version : Scag V-Ride Purchase

GreenGuysNC
06-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I just purchased a new 48/24 Scag V-Ride and was going to post a long review about it but I figured I would just post a pic of a yard we did yesterday and answer any questions about it after that.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_q0cgpQ2Rl-w/TBxMoZaf0OI/AAAAAAAAAGA/P3abELdo4yU/s640/2010-06-18%2017.23.24.jpg

GreenGuysLC
06-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Nice Name! lol Green Guys Lawn Care . . Alabama Style

SouthSide Cutter
06-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Wanting to trade my WB for one of these this fall or winter. Dont know what deck 48 or 52. Kinda wish it could be used as a WB also. Hope they put anti scalp wheels on it front and rear would also be nice. Tested one this spring and really like it better than the Toro I also tested that day.

GreenGuysNC
06-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Nice Name! lol Green Guys Lawn Care . . Alabama Style

HAHA. Full name is Green Guys Landscapes. Good name to you as well.

Wanting to trade my WB for one of these this fall or winter. Dont know what deck 48 or 52. Kinda wish it could be used as a WB also. Hope they put anti scalp wheels on it front and rear would also be nice. Tested one this spring and really like it better than the Toro I also tested that day.

It does have anti scalp wheels on the front and rear. I would get the 48". It performs just fine as a 48", but I think the 52" would scalp a lot more on the sides of the deck. However I have only used the 48". JMO Also, I haven't investigated this yet, but I have been told that you can disable the switch on the platform the you could fold up the back portion and it wouldn't be bad at all to walk behind occasionally.

grassman177
06-20-2010, 12:44 AM
the 52 does scalp

Puddle of Oil
06-20-2010, 06:21 PM
does it hold hills any better then the current stand on mowers? wright, Dane, Exmark/Toro

GreenGuysNC
06-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I had a great dane super surfer before this and it holds far better. I was able to mow some banks I couldn't so before on friday. I will post some pictures of it on here when I get a chance
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
06-20-2010, 06:48 PM
the wrights are better than all of them, but the scag and toro do a very good job on banks, the others are no where near those three.

CandC Lawn Care
06-20-2010, 07:05 PM
I just purchased a new 48/24 Scag V-Ride and was going to post a long review about it but I figured I would just post a pic of a yard we did yesterday and answer any questions about it after that.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_q0cgpQ2Rl-w/TBxMoZaf0OI/AAAAAAAAAGA/P3abELdo4yU/s640/2010-06-18%2017.23.24.jpg

Where did you purchase yours at? I live in marion. just wondering.

djagusch
06-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I got the 48" and it works great. For the scalping comments, I would say that if you know how to mow you won't have problems. Outer anti scalp wheels could help in very rare conditions but if you know the contours of the lawn and know how to mow it's not needed.

For the banks it holds well and you can either bungee the platform slightly down to bypass the safety switch to walk behind it. Personally I think it holds a hill better with a person on it because of the weight.

The platform suspension is great for the operators knees and hips.

And the best feature that the other standers don't have is the great cut of the deck.

According to the Scag/Wright Rep (does both) the Scag is out selling the Wrights in my region. Not really switching customers from another brand just the Scag owners have waited for it to come out and buying them up.

nepatsfan
06-20-2010, 07:41 PM
How is that mower in tight areas. It looked to me like the mowers were very long. much longer than the standers or the surfers. I wasnt really in the market for a mower, I was just checkin it out a few weeks ago when I was at the dealers. Any regrets or anything you dont like about it?

djagusch
06-20-2010, 09:02 PM
How is that mower in tight areas. It looked to me like the mowers were very long. much longer than the standers or the surfers. I wasnt really in the market for a mower, I was just checkin it out a few weeks ago when I was at the dealers. Any regrets or anything you dont like about it?

Wright 58.5"s, Toro Grandstand 58"s, and Exmarks 59"s stander Scag is 65.5"s. This is comparing 48" decks that are floating (Stander RH) and platforms up. So 7.5"s is the biggest difference, mainly because of Scags deck design (which is also one of the reason a person would choose the Scag).

My only regret is that I didn't sell my W/B in the spring (when you get better dollar) and order another V Ride.

nepatsfan
06-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Sounds like you made a good choice then. Congrats.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
How do you like it so far? How is it on hills? do you feel like your gonna eject off?

tacoma200
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
How much did that model cost? 48/24

djagusch
06-24-2010, 12:36 AM
How much did that model cost? 48/24

7300 OTD paid w cash

Shasta Lake Landscaping
06-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Can you mow as much compared to a ZTR? Is it comfortable to operate for long periods of time?

brucec32
06-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Can you tell if it does less turf damage than a ZTR?

How is the vaccum on that deck?

Tried mulching with it? (I assume you have some bermuda lawns there)

Steering, fatigue, etc, how does it rate vs your wb/sulkys?

djagusch
06-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Can you mow as much compared to a ZTR? Is it comfortable to operate for long periods of time?

Can you tell if it does less turf damage than a ZTR?

How is the vaccum on that deck?

Tried mulching with it? (I assume you have some bermuda lawns there)

Steering, fatigue, etc, how does it rate vs your wb/sulkys?

My Cemetery guy used my V ride instead of a Hustler Trimstar w/sulky and wants the V ride now all the time. He mows 12 to 14 hrs to get the job done in a day. He says he's hips, knees, feet, and back feel much better with the V ride. Says the suspension platform and knee pad helps that out.

For the vaccum of the deck it's the same as any Velocity deck that Scag offers. So the cut is great. I don't mulch so I don't have a clue on that.

In tight areas in mows quicker than a ZTR for open area's a ZTR beats it.

King Lawn
04-28-2011, 11:13 PM
I took a vride 52/26 out today, and was really dissapointed. I have been mowing with wright standars for 10 years and am a scag fan, but they got this thing all wrong. It does not stripe, the tires sit inside of the deck so it looks like your striping with a crappy walk behind. It scalped, and I know how to mow. It scalped in spots on 80% of the yards I cut. Hydros are nice, doesn't tear up the grass, but it is not as comfortable as the new exmark standar. I know that wright standar hasnt changed their setup much over the years, but its for a reason, they are the best. I will let you know my views on the new exmark when I take one out tomorrow.

TGG2008
04-30-2011, 01:57 PM
I bought a 36" and 48" V-ride new for this season. After 25 hours on the 48" I can say a couple things good and bad. First, the cut quality is amazing! The speed is nice and the controls are pretty tight and work well. I have noticed some scalping but this happens primarily at the top of a hill or on an unexpected dip in the turf on a new lawn. The biggest bad is the fuel efficiency. The 36" seems to be fine and not too bad on gas, but the 48/24 seems to be terrible. I haven't measured out hours to a full tank just yet but i would bet it is bad relative to one of the other top standers. From full yesterday, we did 14 more houses and I am at about a 1/4 tank and this was our small yard day consisting of mainly 1/5-1/4 acre homes. The longer length has not been a negative on the trailer or in the field but the front tires being far out in front of the deck has been a concern when it comes to bed edges. I have gotten the tire rutting out part of the edge at least 2 times and that is something I now have to watch for around any edges.