PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Trimmer Head does Everyone Use

4 seasons lawn&land
06-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I threaded my Echo head onto the Red MAx today because the bump feed action is so much better but the line loading procedure is not as good.

I know alot of guys exclusively use one brand trimmer head across the board on all trimmers but I dont remember the brand. Is it Shin.? They are not big in this area but I'll order some trim heads online if they are good.

punt66
06-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I threaded my Echo head onto the Red MAx today because the bump feed action is so much better but the line loading procedure is not as good.

I know alot of guys exclusively use one brand trimmer head across the board on all trimmers but I dont remember the brand. Is it Shin.? They are not big in this area but I'll order some trim heads online if they are good.

shindy speed feed. Only way to go

Alan0354
06-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Shindy SpeedFeed, so much better.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-20-2010, 08:12 PM
ya, is that the kind that you have to put pieces of line in every time insted of bump feeding from a spool. I cant figure out why anyone would want that...

cpt87gn
06-20-2010, 08:14 PM
speedfeed shindy

SchnabelLawnCare
06-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Shindiawa speed feed. Can't imagine not having it anymore!
Posted via Mobile Device

mbrew
06-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Add another one to the Speedfeed camp. I'm finding that it likes some line better than others, but with one it likes its Greeeeate!

TheOctagon
06-20-2010, 08:37 PM
how does the oregon speed feed compare to the shindy??? They look pretty much identical.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
okay just watched the promotional video. Very cool system.

How long do they last?

punt66
06-20-2010, 08:43 PM
okay just watched the promotional video. Very cool system.

How long do they last?

mine usually last 2 seasons. I end up wearing through the bottom and then it blows apart. But if your more carefull then me (i tend to drag mine) it will last a lot longer.

Bumpmaster
06-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Speed feed is nice however you never know when you are going to run out of string. The sthil head is good also. It has two line feeds so if you set it up correctly you always have a warning of when your trimmer head is completly out of string.

MileHigh
06-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Shindaiwa Speed Feed is the best head I have ever used...Doubt I'll ever change.

Alan0354
06-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Speed feed is nice however you never know when you are going to run out of string. The sthil head is good also. It has two line feeds so if you set it up correctly you always have a warning of when your trimmer head is completly out of string.

But with the speed feed, carry a section of string in your pocket, you'll be back in business in a minutes if that long.

mbrew
06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
how does the oregon speed feed compare to the shindy??? They look pretty much identical.

Oregon and Sten both distribute the Shindy speedfeed. It's the same head in different packaging and my Oregon speedfeed even says shindy on it.

Bumpmaster
06-20-2010, 09:20 PM
These trimmer heads, Does any know if you can replace just the bottom peice of plastic and not the hole trimmer head?

Turf Dawg
06-20-2010, 09:40 PM
These trimmer heads, Does any know if you can replace just the bottom peice of plastic and not the hole trimmer head?

Some of the dealers that carry these heads also carry replacement parts. I just bought another speedfeed 375 and went ahead and bought another bottom plate so I would have it.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
thats what I meant by how long does it last. How long before the bottom piece wears through. I go through 2 a year. Some heads are 2 pc some are 3. 3 piece trimmers are better to load. This speed feed looks sweet though. gotta find a dlr so I can get the rebuild parts.

stephen424
06-20-2010, 11:20 PM
How do the Shindy Speed Feed heads compare to the Echo U-Turn Heads?
I have all kawasaki handhelds but have the Echo U-Turn head on them.

has anyone used both and can compare the two

Alan0354
06-20-2010, 11:25 PM

It is so cheap, the whole thing is only twenty something!!!

Alan0354
06-20-2010, 11:27 PM
thats what I meant by how long does it last. How long before the bottom piece wears through. I go through 2 a year. Some heads are 2 pc some are 3. 3 piece trimmers are better to load. This speed feed looks sweet though. gotta find a dlr so I can get the rebuild parts.

There is no reason for it to wear unless you hold it to the ground and let it grind!!! Do don't let it grind and it'll last a long time!!!

GlynnC
06-20-2010, 11:42 PM

I have used both and at this point, prefer the Echo U-Turn. The Shindy Speed Feed is the easiest to load without question--on the bigger speedfeed, I ocassionally have problems feeding line through to the other side. What I don't like about it, I tend to run the head dragging on the ground more than I probably should--for me, it needs a bump knob on the bottom to hold it higher off the ground.

The Echo U-Turn takes a little longer to load, but it does have the bump knob to hold it a little higher off the ground. Since I only load the head ever few days, the additional minute or so it takes to load is not a big problem for me.

I'm a part timer, so I don't wear out many heads, but again they both have strengths. The Speedfeed string eyes are heavy duty and last longer. With no bump knob, the bottom tends to wear out. The U-turn head eyes wear out faster, but the bump knob protects the head a little better.

Apparently, most on lawnsite prefer the Speedfeed--I don't.

STL Cuts
06-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Well, I just had a head break on one of my Redmaxes, I'm going to give the Speed Feed a try. I just ordered one on Ebay!

dgw
06-21-2010, 02:59 AM

am i missing something , what string heads can you tell if youre gonna run out of string?

and always having a precut piece of string in you back pocket makes life easy

Richard Martin
06-21-2010, 08:10 AM
am i missing something , what string heads can you tell if youre gonna run out of string?

Almost any spooling type. You just leave one side about a foot shorter than the other. When you get to where there is only one line left you know you need to head back for a replacement spool. That way you have at least one line to trim with and you can get a job done. If you cut both sides the same length they will run out at the same time.

Oh yeah, I use Veri heads except on my Stihls. Veri heads are factory equipment on a lot of trimmers including Echo.

Pennington Lawncare
06-21-2010, 08:15 AM

There is no comparison. The U-turn head sucks compared with the SpeedFeed. The U-turn is harder to turn too when you are loading string onto it and the string kept getting stuck inside the U-turn and didn't want to feed.

topsites
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Sorry to be the oddball but what does it really save, a whole minute or two loading.
Must be one of those gimmicks for noobs who don't know how to load string and that
head ain't no $20 around my necks, more like $50, call me old fashioned and stuck up
on myself and I do admit it does load nice but I just don't need it.
I use what my trimmer came with and if it ever wears out I might likely get one,
unfortunately how many years later they're all still on that first one.

Turf Dawg
06-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I have used both and at this point, prefer the Echo U-Turn. The Shindy Speed Feed is the easiest to load without question--on the bigger speedfeed, I ocassionally have problems feeding line through to the other side. What I don't like about it, I tend to run the head dragging on the ground more than I probably should--for me, it needs a bump knob on the bottom to hold it higher off the ground.

The Echo U-Turn takes a little longer to load, but it does have the bump knob to hold it a little higher off the ground. Since I only load the head ever few days, the additional minute or so it takes to load is not a big problem for me.

I'm a part timer, so I don't wear out many heads, but again they both have strengths. The Speedfeed string eyes are heavy duty and last longer. With no bump knob, the bottom tends to wear out. The U-turn head eyes wear out faster, but the bump knob protects the head a little better.

Apparently, most on lawnsite prefer the Speedfeed--I don't.

That is what I hate about the Veri/Echo heads. I like to run a trimmer even with the grass and on our spreading grasses, St Augustine and Bermuda, with all the stolons the little knob on the bottom hangs on these.

That is the main reason I like the Speed Feed head because of the smooth bottom that just glides over the turf and does not hang on stolons, although the fast loading is nice.

I could see where you folks trimming cool season turf would prefer something with a knob on the bottom for the height though.

hackitdown
06-21-2010, 11:38 AM
The SpeedFeed is the way to go. I tried the Stihl replacement head, and it is a pain to load thick line. Never tried the Echo.

They definitely save time. Yes a speedfeed only saves 2 or 3 minutes every time, maybe that is only 15 minutes per week per guy, maybe 1 hour per month per guy. Multiply by the hourly wage you pay your guys. The heads will pay for themselves very quickly. And the guys like them better, so it is worth it to keep up morale.

If I can shave 2 minutes here, and 3 minutes there, I will. It all adds up. Little things like vented gas cans, quick wheel locks for securing mowers on trailers, multiple trimmer racks, etc, etc. One minute here, one minute there.

I paid $23 per head online somewhere for the Oregon version.

streamlight2
10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
What model of veri head is factory equipment on echo trimmers?

orlawncaresvc
10-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Shindiawa speed feed. By far the best. But Oregon also makes a trimmer head exactly like Shindiawas speed feed. Don't really know the difference in price if there is one.

ed2hess
10-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Speed no good they wear out fast and then vibration sets in. And you can't get the frigging thing open to peak and see how much cord left. And when it is really hot can't get the cord to go thru the frigging slot. Simply a bad head. We wear out speed head in less than 5 months...and $30 bucks.

The Honda bump head is cheap and very very reliable. And it runs smooth all the way until the bump wears thru which is about yearly.