PDA

View Full Version : Beat the Heat, what I did and your suggestions

sehitchman
06-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Circumstances resulted in no help this weekend and a full schedule. Temps were in the high 90's and the humidity was at max.
Things I did to assist.
1. Big cooler with ice water , drank drank drank, zero adult beverage the night before and no sodas that day.
2. Kept two chamois (synthetic ones) in a cooler with ice and water, alternated one around the neck and used the other one to wipe down at equipment changes. The quick evaporation seemed like it really helped
3. Frozen grapes & frozen bananas
4. Altered the schedule, so a couple of yards with shade were done from 11-3
5. Started at exactly 8 and really slowed the pace when the temps got up.
6. Big straw hat and sunscreen.
7. Flexable ice pack, in key areas during drive times.

Anyone want to share their tricks?

Think Green
06-21-2010, 12:45 AM
We do not wear sunscreen...................it gets into our eyes.
Other than that, you are on the path for longevity and endurance. Don't eat heavy meals at lunch time either. Eat moderately, staying away from spicey foods, caffeine products, coffee, and tea.
I have a tendency to rub my eyes from time to time.........that is why I don't wear sunscreen. After 19 years out here in the heat. It is all in the mind and you can over come the weather. Stay focused on the work and take breaks............don't care about the time clock at times. If you push yourself or your employees too hard you will get heat stress or stroke. Wear loose clothing and breathable hats. NO DARK COLORS--Sorry for those that follow the Gothic wear. It don't float on our crew.

lawnboy dan
06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
gatorade cut 50% with h20. mens dress shirt vs tshirt

bohiaa
06-21-2010, 09:00 AM
every year we see more and more guys pulling trailers with equipment on it. NEW stuff.

when it gets hot for some reason we dont see these guys anymore.

outside work is NOT for everyone.

MikeKle
06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
When I went out yesterday, I had a couple customers that were surprised I was even out mowing, and told me when its this hot, I really shouldnt be out, and they wouldnt what me to collapse on their property!

M.M.A. Mowing
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I just drink about 15 gatorades and plenty of h2o, keeps me sweating like a pig which keeps me cool, also I try to avoid ac in the truck between yards, cold then hot makes me feel bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

biggziff
06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't know if you're familiar with Phase Change Material or not, but this stuff has been around for a while and is widely used by folks working in serious heat/cold climates with great success. For hot temps you "Charge" the material (usually in ice water for 20 minutes) and then put it on. It will keep you cool for hours in 100 degree temps. There are several vendors, but here's a sample:

http://www.glaciertek.com/RPCM_Cooling_Vest/Work.aspx

http://www.texascoolvest.com/techinfo.html

sehitchman
06-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Gatoraid is good, but I also cut it with water. It seems to give me a stomach ache if I drink to much of it. Anyone wear under armor? I found it stays much drier than a T shirt, but I do get some nipple abrasion from under armor :(. As for the new guys pulling trailers, I don't think I saw more than one or two Saturday, where in the past there were several at each intersection. I'm at max with accounts, had a couple neighbors of my accounts ask for one time cuts this week, I'm sure it was the heat. I passed on their number to a start up LCO friend of mine. Times are very good these days, what started out as a light year turned into a great year as soon as it got hot!

Hawg City Lawns
06-21-2010, 12:02 PM
with about 15 minutes left on the yard i run over to the truck and start it up and crank the air then its nice and cool when i get in

PMLAWN
06-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Hats, water. I also cut the toes off my socks and put them on my arms, like a 2 foot wrist band. Arms use to sweat and feel like crap on the arm rest. Now they stay dry, out of the sun, and I feel better

unit28
06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
what's this heat you speak of?
It's 75 degrees wher I am.

macgyver_GA
06-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I drink lots of water, Carry a gallon jug of it and keep it underneath the truck in the shade while im mowing. I stop every 10-15 minutes for water. I also wear a white t-shirt on my head. It looks goofy but it soaks up the sweat and keeps me cool, keeps the sweat out of my eyes, and also covers the back of my neck. Yesterday I edged some beds & spread 25 bails of pine straw for a customer, then mowed 4 lawns. Yesterday was in the mid 90's + very humid. I drank 1.5 gallons of water + a big powerade.
Posted via Mobile Device

FiveOJoe
06-21-2010, 05:02 PM
C'mon girls, stop your complaining. Just drink water and wear a big hat. Geezus, next you'all be complaining "my stripes ain't straight, whad am I gonna do if my stripes aren't straight."

What do you all think real men did before Gatorade, frozen bananas and 5 hour Energy drinks?

Now, where's my Ipod........

mcw615
06-21-2010, 05:09 PM
At our shop we have a huge ice maker, so one gatorade cooler full of ice, another of gatorade mix. We wear long sleeves, and have company boonie hats. Take bandanas and put ice in them and roll it up, keeps neck cool and the ice slowly melts to run down your chest and back. At breaks take ice cubes and rub it underneath your forearms where you veins are located to cool down your blood stream. Always stretch arms and legs so they don't feel so heavy. Eat light foods, no more mcdonalds etc during summer months, its subway or salads. Snack on salted peanuts through the day. Put sun visor up in truck to keep truck from reaching 120 degrees, also conserves fuel when cooling the interior down. Take a deep breath, and keep on getting it....

81Bronk36
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Last week I was doing some landscaping and cutting, 95*, 110* heat index. I would stop every once in a while to go to a different job, or to get stone. Broke it up, gave me rest, time to drink lots of fluids and even though I dont have A/C a trip on the highway is pretty cool with your triangle window pointing at you. I spent more money in Diesel, but at least I am still alive to work some more.

MileHigh
06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I make sure that the sun is not hitting my skin in every possible way.

I wear loose long sleeves, with bandannas covering the back of my neck and sides of my face, and a safety vest.

The long sleeves teach your skin to be able to cool itself..ever wonder about all the middle easterners in the desert wearing full on robes in 100 degree heat?

I drink whatever I want.

FastMan
06-21-2010, 06:39 PM
ever wonder about all the middle easterners in the desert wearing full on robes in 100 degree heat?

I figured is was just to hide the explosives.

FastMan
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Moving to the mountains is the best way to weather the heat. It's so comfortable working here I feel bad even telling you guys about it.

I lived in Florida for a spell, and worked outside. I know what you southern boys go through in this business, and feel for you.

Hoy landscaping
06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I figured is was just to hide the explosives.

yeah and to hide there ak's from the army.

redmax fan
06-21-2010, 07:47 PM
- dont eat cooked / hot foods as they raise body temp , eat raw fruit - nuts - seeds - salads - etc

- pour cold water over head

- use electric barber clippers to shear off hair on arms and legs it'll make you cooler

- on background of your computer put a pic of an iceberg floating in artic ocean

- american natives in southwest are said to drink celery juice to stay cooler

- gatorades sugar / salt and a bunch of other junk , drink water for long term health of it

- wear half / ankle socks for more air on legs , wilson makes some good ones

- wear shirt that only goes down to belt height and dont tuck in for more air flow on body

MileHigh
06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
i figured is was just to hide the explosives.

roflmao!!!

ff162bfd
06-21-2010, 10:57 PM
1. Cooler full of ice water with one bottle of seabreeze face cleaner and 5 bandanas to wrap around my neck and wipe my arms and face after cuts. The seabreeze opens your pores and makes the water seem much colder and you don't smell like a wet hog.

2. Five galon jug of ice water with a few gatorades.

3. Palm leaf cowboy hat to keep the sun off my face and neck.

4. I wear blue jeans closed toe boots and long sleeve shirts everyday all day. I would rather be a little warm than die of skin cancer and be covered in poison ivy.

The weather in TX now is 80% humidity average heat index of 105 with 0-5 mph winds. I mow about 20 yards a week plus 2 or 3 fencing and landscape jobs a week. These four things are what I have always done and it seems to help but this thread has gave me some new ideas.

Columbia Care
06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Temps here have been in the upper 90's with 80% Humidity.

1. Carry cooler with lots of Gatoraid and water.

2. Straw hat with wide band.

3. Several towels to wide off with.

4. Spare shirt to change into for the afternoons.

5. Sun Block to prevent gwtting my skin fried.

Start early in the morning. By noon begin taking frequent water breaks. Eat a light breakfast, skip lunch, and have a late dinner (works great if you are trying to loose weight).

freshprince94
06-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Everything youve done sounds good. I wear the Columbia fishing hats with the big brim and the neck flap. I usually switch to shorts during the summer also. I drink a TON of water, but not too cold. Also, it's good to take breaks and try to avoid the heat of the day if you can. I know it's hard to stagger your lawns but I try to take advantage of the evenings more. Good luck and stay cool.

Tinkerer
06-22-2010, 03:43 AM
Build a cab on your ZTR.
Buy cheap window a.c. unit.
Buy small Honda generator.
Install.

macgyver_GA
06-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Build a cab on your ZTR.
Install.

Brilliant! except I have a walk behind... I will get to the drawing board and let you know what I come up with.
Posted via Mobile Device

ff162bfd
06-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Build a cab on your ZTR.
Install.

=profit?...

Hawg City Lawns
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
ok talking about this seems like a good time to ask this question

has anyone used the fan that hooks on to the rops?

FiveOJoe
06-22-2010, 01:55 PM
ok talking about this seems like a good time to ask this question

has anyone used the fan that hooks on to the rops?

Yeah, but I kept running over the cord.

FLAhaulboy
06-23-2010, 12:04 AM
I drink this stuff daily:

http://www.us.powerade.com/zero/

Contains NO HFCS. "sugary" drinks are the worse thing to ever drink when it is hot and humid. A quart of Zero costs .78 cents at Walmart. I also drink water but mostly the Zero's.

FLAhaulboy
06-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Everything youve done sounds good. I wear the Columbia fishing hats with the big brim and the neck flap. I usually switch to shorts during the summer also. I drink a TON of water, but not too cold. Also, it's good to take breaks and try to avoid the heat of the day if you can. I know it's hard to stagger your lawns but I try to take advantage of the evenings more. Good luck and stay cool.

I have two of these hats, light, very comfortable & $16 bucks at Academy Sports:

http://www.columbia.com/mens-hats/men-accessories-hatsHeadwear,default,sc.html?sz=1&start=14#

corey4671
06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
with about 15 minutes left on the yard i run over to the truck and start it up and crank the air then its nice and cool when i get in

sort of what I do...when I grab the blower that's when I start the truck

HighGrass
06-23-2010, 12:49 AM
The long sleeves teach your skin to be able to cool itself..ever wonder about all the middle easterners in the desert wearing full on robes in 100 degree heat?

I drink whatever I want.

Yea, but all their lawns all look like crap.:waving:

mtc2010
06-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Here in Atlanta this spring you couldn't go 10 seconds without seeing a truck with a mower running around town. Now that it's in the 90's it's more like every 5-10 minutes. And the ones you see now have decent equipment, legit businesses. I thought the lowballers were all gone but I still see those stupid "$15 lawn cuts" adds on craigslist for some reason. ;)

zo6
06-23-2010, 04:46 AM
hats, water. I also cut the toes off my socks and put them on my arms, like a 2 foot wrist band. Arms use to sweat and feel like crap on the arm rest. Now they stay dry, out of the sun, and i feel better

i am also named pm lawn care

OldRedFord
06-23-2010, 05:11 AM
I try to avoid the hottest part of the day. But have been failing horribly at it. Not complaining tho.

I drink lots of water, and take brakes.

Ideally I would work from 8-2 or so but that does not always go my way.

corey4671
06-23-2010, 09:01 AM
the problem here of late is that the grass is still SOAKED at 8,9 even 10 am. I know sometimes you just gotta do it, but I HATE cutting wet grass.

ShooterK2
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Yeah, but I kept running over the cord.

You're supposed to install an electrical outlet in the middle of the yard, then mow in circles. GOSH......

Grasscape Inc
06-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Five O?
Did you have a toro cool top?

MikeKle
06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
the problem here of late is that the grass is still SOAKED at 8,9 even 10 am. I know sometimes you just gotta do it, but I HATE cutting wet grass.

I know what you mean, it is 10:30am here and the grass is soaked from dew, but in high humidity, it will be like that every morning, I also try to mow later in the day, sometimes, I am even mowing at 9:30pm, but I am a night owl anyway, some on here are early birds! gets too dark to see about 9:45-9:55pm

Glenn Lawn Care
06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
1. 2 gallon water jug filled with ice water
2. 1/2 gallon water jug filled with gatorade
3. Gold Bond in the glove box
4. i drink plenty of water throughout the day
5. i take breaks as needed
6. double check to make sure gold bond is in truck!

henson2043
06-23-2010, 04:25 PM
All sound like good ways of staying cool and hydrated. Now how do you deal with the heat rash between the legs? Gold Bond is good but only works for so long.

Nosmo
06-24-2010, 06:48 AM
All sound like good ways of staying cool and hydrated. Now how do you deal with the heat rash between the legs? Gold Bond is good but only works for so long.

Corn Starch is great for this type of heat rash.

Nosmo

TheC-Master
06-24-2010, 09:18 AM
I make sure that the sun is not hitting my skin in every possible way.

I wear loose long sleeves, with bandannas covering the back of my neck and sides of my face, and a safety vest.

I drink whatever I want.

I wear suits everyday I'm not getting dirty. I do practice good eating habits and I just keep water with a thermos, doesn't even have to be ice cold.