PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys mow diagonals, or is is too time consuming?

zo6
06-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Diagonals look great all spriped but takes to long unless its a lawn i double cut, then i just cut out the short ones when i get close to the corners and the passes get real short.. Do you guys avoid diagonals and just go up/down and side ti side?

dgw
06-21-2010, 06:20 AM
i alternate paterns every other week

a property like that , while it looks great, if im on time constraint i may mow diagonal , but a more from like that top left corner to that front tree

still would look good, but would be more efficient

looks really good though man

zo6
06-21-2010, 07:23 AM
thank you, but actually a think its better to do them that way, if i was to do like you said those last few stripes would suck and make it worse no? maybe the pic is throwin off what im tryin to say, i just think it looks so much better than up/down side/side, just wanted to here some input, thanks again for the compliment

mcw615
06-21-2010, 07:44 AM
We implement basically that pattern on every capable lawn. Do a verticle from the street to the house then a diagonal and alternate. Honestly shouldn't take on that lawn an extra 1-2 min on the diagonal than the verticle. Stop thinking volume and remember quality is king. Know your hourly break down rate and if your making a PROFIT on the property doing it with efficient quality.

Jason Rose
06-21-2010, 07:58 AM
I alternate direction every week, all 4 directions. Striaght north-south, then straight East-west, then angle one way, then the other. Its not that hard and each lawn has its own problems with different directions. Long narrow lawns suck when its time to mow them straight the short way... Angle cutting dosnt slow production down enough to notice. I watch my time intently too.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-21-2010, 08:05 AM
It all depends what kind of a mood I'm in.

redskinsfan34
06-21-2010, 08:28 AM
I change the direction of the stripes monthly. I've found after 4 mows the stripes are still visible a week after mowing. That's my signal to change patterns.

zo6
06-22-2010, 12:36 AM
i change the direction of the stripes monthly. I've found after 4 mows the stripes are still visible a week after mowing. That's my signal to change patterns.

it takes 4 weeks for the stripes to stay visible for a week???? Cant be, my stripes never even fade out in winter, espiecially the lawn pictured above.

ShooterK2
06-22-2010, 12:44 AM
You guys probably aren't mowing the same type of grass with the same mower, either. Or, maybe you are. I find that, here in Oklahoma, the Bermuda is hard to stripe, and it goes away quick.

zo6
06-22-2010, 12:53 AM
you guys probably aren't mowing the same type of grass with the same mower, either. Or, maybe you are. I find that, here in oklahoma, the bermuda is hard to stripe, and it goes away quick.

your probably right shooter, ive never even seen bermuda, let alone cut it, it prob dont stripe cause ya gotta cut it so short, up here in nj the longer ya cut, the nicer the stripes, i cut most at 4 or 4 1/4, you guys mowin bermuda are prob down near 1 or 1 1/4 right?

dgw
06-22-2010, 01:20 AM
yea , my cool seasons cut at 3 the stripes seem permanent

i have a zoysia lawn that im lucky if it stripes at all

zo6
06-22-2010, 01:30 AM
yea , my cool seasons cut at 3 the stripes seem permanent

i have a zoysia lawn that im lucky if it stripes at all

zoysia is fairly rare here, i do have 1 old guy has it, its my buddys uncle, and when i started the lawn was way over grown(so tall it was fallin over), did the normal stuff, double cut with deck up, blew it all off, then cut at 4 1/2.. Looked great after a few months, stripes real good, but i see on here you guys all cut it real short, what do you do with it? If i went below id say 3 3/4 on his it would be instant brown, like within hours..

dgw
06-22-2010, 02:03 AM
leafs are only on the top of the stem, they will grow back eventually

Richard Martin
06-22-2010, 04:07 AM
your probably right shooter, ive never even seen bermuda, let alone cut it, it prob dont stripe cause ya gotta cut it so short,

There are different varieties of Burmuda. The hybrids are intended to be cut shorter. The common Burmuda looks better when cut longer. You may be cutting Burmuda and just didn't know it. Do you guys have that real long wire grass up there? It gets all in the planting beds and stuff.

zo6
06-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Up here we have mainly, fescue, or bluegrass. Very little zoysia, and i dont think any bermuda, we get a lot of onion grass sprouting up in the spring in the lawns and beds, but i dunno if youd call that wirery or not. I havent been down south since before i was in business, i wish i paid more attention to things like that when i was down there. From pics, i dont care for the bermuda, but ii guess im just not used to it either.

Richard Martin
06-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Up here we have mainly, fescue, or bluegrass. Very little zoysia, and i dont think any bermuda, we get a lot of onion grass sprouting up in the spring in the lawns and beds, but i dunno if youd call that wirery or not. I havent been down south since before i was in business, i wish i paid more attention to things like that when i was down there. From pics, i dont care for the bermuda, but ii guess im just not used to it either.

The reason I ask is we had tons of common Burmuda in MD. In a staight line NJ is pretty close to MD so I would think it is possible to have Burmuda in NJ. Especially southern NJ.

zo6
06-22-2010, 04:44 AM
the reason i ask is we had tons of common burmuda in md. In a staight line nj is pretty close to md so i would think it is possible to have burmuda in nj. Especially southern nj.

actually now that you say that i think they may have it in south jersey, good point, im further north, a little over a hour to nyc, mainly all kentucky blue.

Richard Martin
06-22-2010, 06:30 AM
actually now that you say that i think they may have it in south jersey, good point, im further north, a little over a hour to nyc, mainly all kentucky blue.

Why did your quote undo my capitalization? Just wondering....

zo6
06-22-2010, 06:32 AM
why did your quote undo my capitalization? Just wondering....

lol i have no idea, i always leave it on caps, dont really know why.

Richard Martin
06-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Test test test

Richard Martin
06-22-2010, 06:36 AM
lol i have no idea, i always leave it on caps, dont really know why.

It's the vBulletin software. If it sees a message in all caps it automatically makes everything but the first letter lower case. My test message above was in all caps.

redskinsfan34
06-22-2010, 07:50 AM
it takes 4 weeks for the stripes to stay visible for a week???? Cant be, my stripes never even fade out in winter, espiecially the lawn pictured above.

The majority of my lawns get tru green and have sprinkler systems so they grow real fast. After a week goes by it looks like they haven't been touched in 2 or 3 weeks so the stripes are there but not as obvious as I like them to be.

zo6
06-22-2010, 07:54 AM
the majority of my lawns get tru green and have sprinkler systems so they grow real fast. After a week goes by it looks like they haven't been touched in 2 or 3 weeks so the stripes are there but not as obvious as i like them to be.

huh mine are the same way, but my stripes stay, wierd how grass is different in different places
\

ShooterK2
06-22-2010, 08:12 AM
your probably right shooter, ive never even seen bermuda, let alone cut it, it prob dont stripe cause ya gotta cut it so short, up here in nj the longer ya cut, the nicer the stripes, i cut most at 4 or 4 1/4, you guys mowin bermuda are prob down near 1 or 1 1/4 right?

I don't mow as low as some. My customers would shoot me if I tried to mow under 2 inches. I'm mowing most at 2.5 - 2.75 right now. May go another notch higher if needed before the season is over.

It's my understanding that the only way to get Bermuda to look good below about 1.5 is with a reel mower, which I don't have. If you want to see some neat stuff, check out the thread in the "Pictures" section called "Post pics of Bermuda Lawns." There are some real pros in there that know what they're doing with southern grasses.

Creative Cuts
06-22-2010, 10:32 AM
i think on bigger yards it's quicker to mow on a diagonal, at least it seems that way to me. i guess cause your first stripe is your longest, getting shorter each stripe

STIHL GUY
06-22-2010, 10:46 AM
i swich up the direction every week

MS_SURVEYOR
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
i swich up the direction every week

I do too. I run the edge around a couple of passes, then cut diagonal at the longest length of the lawn. Then the next week I change diagonal direction. Then I mow north to south, then east to west, then in squares.

just me :rolleyes:

ms

Glenn Lawn Care
06-22-2010, 02:42 PM
i always done diagonal lines and i dont think they are time comsuming.

Creative Cuts
04-11-2011, 10:00 PM
should take the same amount of time it's the same amount of grass and looks a lot better

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-11-2011, 10:53 PM
I never mow the same way twice in the same month.
I know people mow same way or may mow 2 different ways thats it
When mow same way, in same path you are doing damage to the lawn.
You are rutting you may not see it but over time it will show up.

weeze
04-11-2011, 11:07 PM
some lawns that are rectangular i always mow in the same direction every time. i'm not gonna mow 10ft and turn around and go back and forth like that all the way down the yard lol. if a yard is square i change it up.

RSK Property Maintenance
04-12-2011, 12:03 AM
I alternate my pattern every cut, up, down, left, right, and diagonal.

zo6
04-12-2011, 12:31 AM
should take the same amount of time it's the same amount of grass and looks a lot better

how can it take the same amount of time?, your turning around probably twice the amount of times??

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-12-2011, 12:38 AM
how can it take the same amount of time?, your turning around probably twice the amount of times??

you are right it will take longer
short way is always longer time but does look good at times

topsites
04-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Lets have an understanding...
Most of my yards only get that perfect manicure look once, maybe twice a season.
It's not that they look like crap the rest of the time but it only works out that way about every 4 or 5 cuts and
by then we're deep into May and the temperatures are getting hot and I'm telling you right now, if you don't want to fry
a lawn you better lay off the striping some once it gets hot because striping is hard on the turf.

Go ahead and cuss me out now.

But if you want to save time what you do is cut the exact same pattern 3-4 times in a row,
then alternate the next cut and presto, you have diagonals.

Truth be known I believe you can experiment, alternate every other cut might work as well (but it still takes 4-5 mows).

Richard Martin
04-12-2011, 03:44 AM

Diagonals take longer because you spend more time turning. As to whether it looks better or not, that's up to the customer. Some people don't want their lawn all marked up with stripes.

Robert Pruitt
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM

How do you think you are turning twice as many times? you start with the first line, make your first turn for the next line,and go to the end of that one and turn. my math says thats two turns per line. maybe not.

BestImpressions99
04-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Technically you take less time (maybe a minute overall on a 15 minute cutting time lawn) by going in one direction all the time around in a circular pattern. But, the striping makes the lawn look much better. Also changing up the pattern helps the grass not develop a growth pattern. For instance if you let a tree grow in a windy place where it always comes from the same direction it will grow in that direction and it will be virtually impossibly to straighten.

Same with grass (but not as dramatic to change). If you cut the same way all the time and the customer or you change it up and cut the opposite direction it will look like junk the first time through because it's thicker due to the grass normally being cut is leaning in the direction you're going. Notice if you among us that cut in one direction all the time. Cut a different (opposite) direction and see if you end up cutting more grass.

Lends itself to be healthier to the lawn (i.e. meaning customers are happier and kept longer.)

Groomer
04-12-2011, 08:58 PM
I'll throw some down if the turf is worthy... don't have a blower, so that explains the driveway- kiddin', pics taken in flight.

cutbetterthanyou
04-12-2011, 09:59 PM
The reason I ask is we had tons of common Burmuda in MD. In a staight line NJ is pretty close to MD so I would think it is possible to have Burmuda in NJ. Especially southern NJ.

We have a bunch of that nasty crap here.It is a royal pain inthe a$$ to pull out of beds, and nothing really kills it. Last year i was in the lesco store and asks why roundup won't kill it. At the time there was a guy on the stool next to me. The lesco's guys resonse was "We are not really sure why it doesn't kill it it is a hybrid bermuda grass that has adapted to cooler weather. This guy here (dude on the stool) is actually studying it right now." Guy on the stool was from universty of md he said "We have been studing the grass and have found traces as far north as new england and it is a rhizome that we have found traces as deep as 12 feet in the ground." Good thing is they were also tring to devolp a chemical to kil it

dutchacres
04-12-2011, 11:52 PM
The pic looks awesome! What are you cutting that with? I bought a new pro v scag and I am not very impressed with its stripes. I have had deere for the past 5 years and they strip awesome. Looks good man keep up the good work!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
04-13-2011, 03:21 AM
We have a bunch of that nasty crap here.It is a royal pain inthe a$$ to pull out of beds, and nothing really kills it.

Ornamec will take it and a lot of other grasses out of beds. It may take more than one application over time. When I lived in MD I used Lesco Prosecutor to kill it and just about anything else the Prosecutor would touch. Ornamec is designed to only kill grasses and can be sprayed on other plants with little to no effect. Please read the directions before use.

I had a customer with a bad infestation of Burmuda in a huge Lariope bed. It took 3 applications of Ornamec to wipe the Burmuda out. 2 apps over the course of a summer and 1 final app the next spring to get what was left of the Burmuda.

dishboy
04-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Diagonals take longer because you spend more time turning. As to whether it looks better or not, that's up to the customer. Some people don't want their lawn all marked up with stripes.

Mowers that stripe heavily are great for covering up the mediocre cut quality of heavy long mowers . Alternate cutting directions does help with changing the grain of the grass so the grass stands up which aids in future cut quality, but is quickly diminished in the heavily striped grass. Just my opinion .

cutbetterthanyou
04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Ornamec will take it and a lot of other grasses out of beds. It may take more than one application over time. When I lived in MD I used Lesco Prosecutor to kill it and just about anything else the Prosecutor would touch. Ornamec is designed to only kill grasses and can be sprayed on other plants with little to no effect. Please read the directions before use.

I had a customer with a bad infestation of Burmuda in a huge Lariope bed. It took 3 applications of Ornamec to wipe the Burmuda out. 2 apps over the course of a summer and 1 final app the next spring to get what was left of the Burmuda.

I've tryed the ornamec it seemed to start to work but not kill it completely, guess like you said maybe a few more apps will do it. Was the ornamec called over the top or over the hedge or something like that? That was the one i tried.

Richard Martin
04-13-2011, 07:57 PM
I've tryed the ornamec it seemed to start to work but not kill it completely, guess like you said maybe a few more apps will do it. Was the ornamec called over the top or over the hedge or something like that? That was the one i tried.

I use the brand Ornamec. It should tell you in the instructions that it will probably take more than one app. It's also best applied when the Burmuda is actively growing. During droughts, end of the year etc would probably be bad times to apply it.

cutbetterthanyou
04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I use the brand Ornamec. It should tell you in the instructions that it will probably take more than one app. It's also best applied when the Burmuda is actively growing. During droughts, end of the year etc would probably be bad times to apply it.

Thats funny that you say that because lesco told me the exact oppisite. They said to apply it when it is getting ready to go dormet and then in the spring right after it is coming out. Guess i should have read it instead of listening to them. The brand i used was ornamec ,but the product was over the something. It was a few years ago.

Richard Martin
04-14-2011, 02:31 AM
The brand i used was ornamec ,but the product was over the something. It was a few years ago.

I got up, walked over and read the small print under the word Ornamec. It does say "Over The Top". You also have to mix in a surfactant. My Ornamec came with a 2 ounce bottle of Gordon's Aqua-Zorb CA.

Thanksman
12-30-2011, 03:33 PM
So, I priced a lawn today. The customer wants the lawn mowed in a square. around primiter inward ,no lines. and I will cut it how she wants it. I just think lines are more proffesional, any of you mow this way? ty:usflag:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM
So, I priced a lawn today. The customer wants the lawn mowed in a square. around primiter inward ,no lines. and I will cut it how she wants it. I just think lines are more proffesional, any of you mow this way? ty:usflag:

Yes have cpl people that dont like the lines

zo6
09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
how do you think you are turning twice as many times? You start with the first line, make your first turn for the next line,and go to the end of that one and turn. My math says thats two turns per line. Maybe not.

yes but with twice as many stripes

Valk
09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Pretty cool way to VARY the mowing pattern while laying down some stripes. Gotta think in 3D to do this well when there's hills and elevation changes...which further breaks up the monotony.

Circle track mowing has its place when wet &/or TALL conditions warrant it.

zo6
09-23-2013, 10:47 AM
pretty cool way to vary the mowing pattern while laying down some stripes. Gotta think in 3d to do this well when there's hills and elevation changes...which further breaks up the monotony.

Circle track mowing has its place when wet &/or tall conditions warrant it.

really?? Ive never seen anyone mow in squares or circles around here

Valk
09-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Guessing you bag everything? I side-discharge everything here...and tall and/or wet lawns are made easier by not recutting the clippings.

zo6
09-23-2013, 10:54 AM
the pic looks awesome! What are you cutting that with? I bought a new pro v scag and i am not very impressed with its stripes. I have had deere for the past 5 years and they strip awesome. Looks good man keep up the good work!!!!
posted via mobile device

the best green machines out there(not john junk)

zo6
09-23-2013, 10:56 AM
guessing you bag everything? I side-discharge everything here...and tall and/or wet lawns are made easier by not recutting the clippings.

noooooo way, lol i side discharge everything as well.. Bagging is just crazy, imo, and trying to mulch here would be just plain ignorant..lol

Valk
09-23-2013, 06:05 PM
NJ, huh? Cutting much Blue Grass there? I've been meaning to start a thread about my least favorite grass...and I'd vote for Blue Grass. I cut tall (3.5"-4") due to our regional climate...and Blue Grass seems to need to be cut shorter (AND BAGGED) to really look its best I think. While I only have 2 'true' BG lawns...I'm not as satisfied with how they look after cutting/side-discharging compared to our more usual Fescue lawns.

I think the REAL problem with BG is how thick it is...therefore it can't absorb clippings as well as fescue when side-discharging. Granted, BG will repair itself in the Spring/Fall. But, our usual hot/HUMID/dry Summer's here are usually BRUTAL to the point of early BG dormancy...though it always comes back nicely in the Fall.

Richard Martin
09-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Guessing you bag everything? I side-discharge everything here...and tall and/or wet lawns are made easier by not recutting the clippings.

I discharge to the outside under those same conditions. When the grass get so thick that it starts making it difficult to keep recutting the clippings, I start going roundy round.

RSK Property Maintenance
09-23-2013, 09:24 PM
NJ, huh? Cutting much Blue Grass there? I've been meaning to start a thread about my least favorite grass...and I'd vote for Blue Grass. I cut tall (3.5"-4") due to our regional climate...and Blue Grass seems to need to be cut shorter (AND BAGGED) to really look its best I think. While I only have 2 'true' BG lawns...I'm not as satisfied with how they look after cutting/side-discharging compared to our more usual Fescue lawns.

I think the REAL problem with BG is how thick it is...therefore it can't absorb clippings as well as fescue when side-discharging. Granted, BG will repair itself in the Spring/Fall. But, our usual hot/HUMID/dry Summer's here are usually BRUTAL to the point of early BG dormancy...though it always comes back nicely in the Fall.

see i'm just the opposite. I like kentucky blue grass. one of my lawns has some of it on the street side of the sidewalk. its about 100" path and I can buzz over it with my cheetah set at 4.25" and it looks like a short cut but it comes out thick, but discharges well with the gator g6 blades and the 34hp kohler on my scag cheetah, its stands up nice even that tall. where as the rest of the lawn would look much better if it was cut at 3.50" or 3.25" but I'm not changing heights on a lawn.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
09-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I'd rather cut in 3 different ways and have it take a few more minutes. Then to have ruts from going the same way all the time and the yard not look smooth.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
09-24-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd rather cut in 3 different ways and have it take a few more minutes. Then to have ruts from going the same way all the time and the yard not look smooth.

Im glad Im not only one that mows different ways to keep a lawn smooth

Ridin' Green
09-24-2013, 10:56 PM

Same here. I mow at least three different patterns, sometimes four. Not only does it keep the ruts away, it is healthier for the lawn when you keep the tires from passing over the same ground as often. Plus, it leaves a nice look to nice grass.

JCLawn and more
09-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Same here. I mow at least three different patterns, sometimes four. Not only does it keep the ruts away, it is healthier for the lawn when you keep the tires from passing over the same ground as often. Plus, it leaves a nice look to nice grass.

Same here. I do all 4 ways. A 1/4 turn each week. It makes sure the lawn gets even compaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

zo6
09-25-2013, 05:06 AM
im glad im not only one that mows different ways to keep a lawn smooth

not sure what you guys mean? This pic was from 2 or 3 years ago but im sure the following week i went side to side, or up and down

zo6
09-25-2013, 05:15 AM
nj, huh? Cutting much blue grass there? I've been meaning to start a thread about my least favorite grass...and i'd vote for blue grass. I cut tall (3.5"-4") due to our regional climate...and blue grass seems to need to be cut shorter (and bagged) to really look its best i think. While i only have 2 'true' bg lawns...i'm not as satisfied with how they look after cutting/side-discharging compared to our more usual fescue lawns.

I think the real problem with bg is how thick it is...therefore it can't absorb clippings as well as fescue when side-discharging. Granted, bg will repair itself in the spring/fall. But, our usual hot/humid/dry summer's here are usually brutal to the point of early bg dormancy...though it always comes back nicely in the fall.

mainly fescue or bluegrass, try cutting the bg even higher, this lawn here is cut at transport height every fifth day, i call it yankee stadium, sprinklers run for two hours, twice a day rain or shine.

Valk
09-25-2013, 10:33 AM
A) I can't raise my mower any taller, unfortunately.
B) BG goes dormant here in the Summer. It is our warm nighttime temps that hurt it the most I believe. Plus, we are more humid here than most might imagine...thus keeping the temps UP at night.
C) In the shady/shadier areas, the BG is just not thick enough to stand up well. Where it gets plenty of sunshine, it looks great post mowing. Fescue is a better shade grass here.

I've got 2 stalwart BG customers...they even reseed BG every year. They are from Penn and Ohio originally and insist on trying to make it work. I finally got through to one of them as he actually used a fescue blend this month/year when he reseeded.

JCLawn and more
09-25-2013, 10:53 AM
mainly fescue or bluegrass, try cutting the bg even higher, this lawn here is cut at transport height every fifth day, i call it yankee stadium, sprinklers run for two hours, twice a day rain or shine.

Your mower must not go that high
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
09-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Looks like you need cut it shorter The way you took the pic looks like the grass is getting smash down to much

My opinion it looks like crap the angle you took the pic might look better looking down the strips

What type of mower you running?
Looks like you double cut it Did you?

Cedar Lawn Care
09-26-2013, 05:31 PM
All my lawns are under 15k square feet. When it makes sense I will do diagonals, but often times I would be taking 5 steps and turning around if I went any other direction than the obvious one. I just try to not mow in the exact wheel line as the last time I mowed.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
09-26-2013, 09:01 PM
On some of our properties it is actually faster to mow diagonal