PDA

View Full Version : Rear gate height on a trailer

crazyz
06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
I found some "new cheap" 76" X 16ft trailers with a 4ft gate on the back. Can someone tell me if this gate is tall enough for a JD ztr not to rub while loading and unloading. Also, if a regular JD lawn mower with a 48" deck will rub. I don't really want to buy one if it is going to tear my deck all up. Any info is greatly appreciated.

whosedog
06-21-2010, 11:17 AM
You're probably going to have to weld a 12' extension on it,then add a spring lift assist to make it work;that's what I did for $300.I guess they make those gates for ATV clearance?

Runner
06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
No way to answer this. It depends on the height of the trailer at the back that will determine the angle of the gate at the crest. this has variables like the overall height of the trailer, and the pitch of the trailer when hooked up. Sometimes, a simple remedy is a piece of 2x6 or so across the floor of the trailer right at the point that the front wheels will be when the deck has to clear the crest. This lifts it to get the clearance.

PMLAWN
06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
When I got another open trailer, I would hit the deck at the break over point.
I reset the drawbar with the ball about 3 inches higher, this reduced the brakeover angle so I do not drag, trailer sits a little front high but not too bad.

cujrh10
06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
You're probably going to have to weld a 12' extension on it,then add a spring lift assist to make it work;that's what I did for $300.I guess they make those gates for ATV clearance?

Can you weld an extension and expect it to hold the weight of a 1000 lb plus ztr? I too recently purchased a trailer that has a shorter gate (supposed to improve gas mileage for atv'ers hauling long distances i guess?). I'm going to have to do something because its just a pain

whosedog
06-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Can you weld an extension and expect it to hold the weight of a 1000 lb plus ztr? I too recently purchased a trailer that has a shorter gate (supposed to improve gas mileage for atv'ers hauling long distances i guess?). I'm going to have to do something because its just a pain

I've been told that done properly the weld is stronger than the rest,I have a 52' stander,that I use on it 600+operator=800lbs.Just be sure to get the lift assist springs as it adds a bit to the weight of the gate.

Oldtimer
06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
The recommended angle for a tailgate is 15°.

Oldtimer

rreyn1812
06-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I found some "new cheap" 76" X 16ft trailers with a 4ft gate on the back. Can someone tell me if this gate is tall enough for a JD ztr not to rub while loading and unloading. Also, if a regular JD lawn mower with a 48" deck will rub. I don't really want to buy one if it is going to tear my deck all up. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Had the same problem; 16' trailer, JD mower (54" deck), 4' ramps that came with the trailer, and places where the mower would drag going over the rear of the trailer.

Solution: build 6' ramp/gate out of 2" tubing and expanded metal.
Result: no mo draggin, anywhere!
Question: too heavy? No, I'm 63, 240 lbs and can lift the gate/ramp without much problem, multiple times every day. :):):)