PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a dump trailer to haul their mowers?

MDLawn
06-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I am looking to upgrade my current dump trailer. The first one was an implulse buy with no thinking :hammerhead:. I am a part time company (yes legit) and currently have a dump trailer (great condition just need longer to haul mowers) and a small 6x12 landscape trailer (great condition) which I would like to sell. I want to get down to using one trailer if possible to free up space in my garage and I have done quite a bit more landscaping this year and need the dump. Just looking for any pro's & con's to using this setup if anyone has? Again remember that I am a part time business so day to day operations are not that crazy, although this year started out like that payup. Any info is greatly appreciated!

B Gillespie
06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Check the weight. 14' dump is over 4k, 16' is 5k plus.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
06-21-2010, 05:13 PM
You're talking about pulling 3300 extra lbs every time you mow a yard. With gas already being 10% more up there how would you even consider this.

MDLawn
06-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Remember I am part time and mow 1 maybe 2 times a week. Not a big deal as in gas. If I crunched the numbers maybe a few dollars every week. Yes I know that could go in my pocket but I want more landscape jobs not mowing so the dump is more important. What about the people hauling around 20ft enclosed trailers at near 2600lbs, is there are real difference?

unit28
06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
sell the mowing jobs to a busy mowing company
that will turn over landscape jobs to you.

would that work?

MDLawn
06-21-2010, 09:04 PM
I already have passed on some mowing work to a friend. Mowing around here is getting rediculous, $15 for 1/3-1/2 acre lawns, some with fences!!!! I've lost more possible customers to this price range. What a joke. :hammerhead::hammerhead: I need to keep some of the mowing customers as they give me some good landscaping money too. Thats the problem, a lot of people like the one stop shop. But next year I am only accepting mowing customers in the same 2 neighborhoods where most of my lawns are. No more running around to make these estimates that I am just going to get beat out on from price. Word of mouth is by far the best type of advertising. The classifieds I have done this year has only fed me price
shoppers, the worst in the 4 years I have done this.

Back on topic anyone else ever use this setup????

MDLawn
06-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Check the weight. 14' dump is over 4k, 16' is 5k plus.
Posted via Mobile Device

looking 12' or 14' MAX

Darryl G
06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I haul my Lazer in my low profile 7 x 12 Bri-Mar dump trailer in the fall for leaf cleanups. Leaves in the front and mower in the back. The only thing is that the mower doesn't do so well on the ladder ramp...I've had the front caster drop through and the traction on them isn't so good so I use portable ramps but that's less than ideal too. I'm thinking about getting expanded steel put on the ladder ramps but there's not much depth for it to sit in...gotta be flush or they won't slide into their slots under the trailer. The only thing is that the trailer is around 3500 pounds empty...that's a lot of trailer to pull around.

MDLawn
06-21-2010, 09:11 PM
You're talking about pulling 3300 extra lbs every time you mow a yard. With gas already being 10% more up there how would you even consider this.

I am also only in 3 neighborhoods so not much driving around.

MDLawn
06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
I haul my Lazer in my low profile 7 x 12 Bri-Mar dump trailer in the fall for leaf cleanups. Leaves in the front and mower in the back. The only thing is that the mower doesn't do so well on the ladder ramp...I've had the front caster drop through and the traction on them isn't so good so I use portable ramps but that's less than ideal too. I'm thinking about getting expanded steel put on the ladder ramps but there's not much depth for it to sit in...gotta be flush or they won't slide into their slots under the trailer. The only thing is that the trailer is around 3500 pounds empty...that's a lot of trailer to pull around.

Thanks, this is the info I am looking for! I thought the same thing about the ramps too. But would work really well for the clean ups as you can load the trailer with the mowers in it.
Ok, with the added weight and fuel money. My round trip may be 45 miles a week. So say the landscape trailer gave me 10 mpg and the loaded dump gives me 8 (5.4 06 superduty, which I believe this is what it gets). With a price of fuel at $2.98 the difference would be $8.76/wk or $236/yr (27 cuts). I probably spend that on gatorade each year so I could stop buying that and dehydrate too :) I understand the weight thing but for me it doesnt add up to make it that bad. I'm sure plenty of guys smoke a pack of cigarettes a day or go out to eat every day at $5-7 a day, $35/wk, and close to $1000/yr!!! Pick your poison :usflag:

Darryl G
06-21-2010, 11:32 PM
It's what I do for the fall and early spring but I leave the walk behind and just bring the rider with bagger. I like it better than running with no mower and having a leaf box and leaf loader on the trailer. Maybe one of these days I'll get a dump truck so i can do both, but then you're unhitching the trailer every time you want to dump. I don't think you'll want more than one mower in the trailer.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
you more 2 days out of the week and you want to buy a new dump trailer. whats the point? yeah its nice for spring and fall clean ups but you can throw the crap in the back of your truck! :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: :nono::nono::nono::nono:

Darryl G
06-22-2010, 01:55 AM
I have considered getting the landscape gate for my trailer, Bri-Mar offers one as an option. But I think a 5 x 7 gate would be on the heavy lifting and dropping solo.

topsites
06-22-2010, 03:03 AM
So say the landscape trailer gave me 10 mpg and the loaded dump gives me 8 (5.4 06 superduty, which I believe this is what it gets). With a price of fuel at $2.98 the difference would be $8.76/wk or $236/yr (27 cuts).

I believe it's going to cost you in more ways than just fuel, also as a general
rule dump trailer beds are a lot higher off the ground than regular trailers.

That red trailer in the picture, if that's a low profile it still has a LOT steeper angle to that gate than a regular trailer.

Danscapes
06-22-2010, 08:25 AM
I use a dump trailer to haul my mowers around. I have never had a problem with loading them either, but I did weld expanded sheet metal over the equipment ramps so the caster wheel don't get stuck. I only mow two days a week and the other day I do landscaping and other types of work.

MDLawn
06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
you more 2 days out of the week and you want to buy a new dump trailer. whats the point? yeah its nice for spring and fall clean ups but you can throw the crap in the back of your truck! :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: :nono::nono::nono::nono:

I already have dump trailer just need a larger one. I do more landscaping(not just cleanups) than mowing so that's why I want the dump trailer. I spent years unloading trucks full of debris. Sorry but the older I get I am not doing that anymore. Remember I only mow 1-2 times a week, landscaping can consume the rest of the week.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
06-22-2010, 09:28 AM
I use a dump trailer to haul my mowers around. I have never had a problem with loading them either, but I did weld expanded sheet metal over the equipment ramps so the caster wheel don't get stuck. I only mow two days a week and the other day I do landscaping and other types of work.

Good to know
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
06-22-2010, 10:13 AM

That red trailer in the picture, if that's a low profile it still has a LOT steeper angle to that gate than a regular trailer.

Yes, that is a low pro and mine does sit higher than my open trailer. There is an option for 4 inch drop axles too. But I agree that it's a lot to haul around. I haul my open trailer whenever possible.

MDLawn
06-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Could you expand on this? If it is the cost of the trailer I already own a dump and a landscape trailer. Selling both would help offset the cost of a new one as I would only sell them for what I would like to get for them. If it is something else please let me know. I have also used my larger mower in my dump using ramps. The angle really isn't much of a deal. People put skid steers in dump trailers and you could make the same argument that they should get a dedicated skid trailer because its lower.

Just trying to put it all together.

topsites
06-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Could you expand on this? If it is the cost of the trailer I already own a dump and a landscape trailer. Selling both would help offset the cost of a new one as I would only sell them for what I would like to get for them. If it is something else.

It's not the cost of the trailer or the fuel itself, it's everything else that wears too.
That's like me figuring the cost of a 400 mile trip just on the fuel it's going to cost me,
it doesn't work that way, my truck eats somewhere just north of 50 cents a mile in terms
of the total cost to drive it around with a regular trailer.

Not sure how much north of 50, could be 60, 70, I get tired of figuring it because it just makes me sick
but the fact is that it costs money to pull a trailer and the more it weighs, the higher the per mile cost goes.

On your truck, remember it has to pull it, there is more maintenance involved on both truck and trailer.

More tire wear, more brake pads wear, probably shocks and who knows what else, all of this costs money.
You'd probably be better off adding a certain cents per mile to your current cost, but however you want
to do it what I'm pointing out is that there will be more wear and tear all around.

But to answer the question, once you get past the loading and unloading over the steeper angle dilemma
you probably can haul a mower in a dump trailer, I'm sure it's been done before but it's just not something
most Lco's do on a regular basis, I don't think.

unkownfl
06-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Have you thought about a dump insert for the bed of the SD? Put a leaf box on the front of your utility and the insert in the bed of the SD. You can get a lot closer using the dump insert most of the time rather than a combo. I thought about the dump trailer but you need like a 8-10 ft gate even on a low profile around a 6-7 ft I looked for on to put my mini front loader in.

MDLawn
06-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Good thoughts to this.

It's not the cost of the trailer or the fuel itself, it's everything else that wears too.
That's like me figuring the cost of a 400 mile trip just on the fuel it's going to cost me,
it doesn't work that way, my truck eats somewhere just north of 50 cents a mile in terms
of the total cost to drive it around with a regular trailer.

Not sure how much north of 50, could be 60, 70, I get tired of figuring it because it just makes me sick
but the fact is that it costs money to pull a trailer and the more it weighs, the higher the per mile cost goes.

I understand this.

On your truck, remember it has to pull it, there is more maintenance involved on both truck and trailer.

This is why we buy these vehicles to pull heavy trailers correct? Not trying to be a jerk just stating something

More tire wear, more brake pads wear, probably shocks and who knows what else, all of this costs money.

Just replaced brakes and shocks but they were due anyway at 60k miles

You'd probably be better off adding a certain cents per mile to your current cost, but however you want
to do it what I'm pointing out is that there will be more wear and tear all around.

What about the guys pulling 20ft enclosed trailers? Yea they may weigh 500-1000lbs less but still at a similar weight. Just a thought

But to answer the question, once you get past the loading and unloading over the steeper angle dilemma
you probably can haul a mower in a dump trailer, I'm sure it's been done before but it's just not something
most Lco's do on a regular basis, I don't think.

Probably correct on this one as many do not have them for hauling mowing equipment. I would like to get out of mowing and focus on just the landscape side but that is easier said than done. Being part time, mowing is troublesome for my schedule as it needs to be completed every week no matter what and you are at the mercy of the weather. Not that you can just do landscaping whenever you want but people tend to cry less when plants, stone, mulch, etc... needs to be installed a few days later.

Good thoughts to think about, thanks!

MDLawn
06-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Have you thought about a dump insert for the bed of the SD? Put a leaf box on the front of your utility and the insert in the bed of the SD. You can get a lot closer using the dump insert most of the time rather than a combo. I thought about the dump trailer but you need like a 8-10 ft gate even on a low profile around a 6-7 ft I looked for on to put my mini front loader in.

I have researched this option but have no interest in a dump insert. My 250 is rated for 2500lbs and eating 1000lbs of that with a dump insert does not make any logical sense when each landscape job this year had materials easily in the 5,000lb range (dumping and picking up). Thats why I dont shovel stuff out the back of a truck at the dump anymore. I'm sick of killin myself and pushing a button is soo much easier :) I'm not going to just overload my vehicle either. No interest in a leaf box because I either mulch the leaves to small piles and most places just pick up at the curb. If I can keep my mowing to 2 or 3 neighborhoods using ramps wont be an issue as I would load and unload only 2 or 3 times so I would not need a gate.

Thanks for the idea though.

Darryl G
06-22-2010, 07:46 PM
MD - You know, you come on here asking for advice and you actually seem to appreciate that people are sharing their thoughts with you. Most people come on and ask for advice and they don't really seem to want to hear what people say and then get an attitude. I wish there were more people on here that didn't become defensive jerks when you question their thinking or try to give the advice they asked for.

ajslands
06-22-2010, 07:51 PM
MD - You know, you come on here asking for advice and you actually seem to appreciate that people are sharing their thoughts with you. Most people come on and ask for advice and they don't really seem to want to hear what people say and then get an attitude. I wish there were more people on here that didn't become defensive jerks when you question their thinking or try to give the advice they asked for.

Usually those people that do that already know what they want or answers and they come on here just to talk!
I admit I've done it more than a few times, and I'm sure a lot of us have done it at least once!
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
06-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Usually those people that do that already know what they want or answers and they come on here just to talk!
I admit I've done it more than a few times, and I'm sure a lot of us have done it at least once!
Posted via Mobile Device

How did you know I was thinking of you when I wrote that?

MDLawn
06-22-2010, 11:46 PM

I've argued some things but if you cannot take criticism then why would you ask a question or show off your work, especially to professionals. People are so wrapped up in themselves so they want to come on here and show off something and then they get some questions about why they did what they did and then get defensive and lose it. Plus I think many people on this site just do not have the maturity for criticism as they are under 20yrs. Believe me I've met mature young people but its rare. When I was 20 I knew everything!!!:hammerhead:

I ask questions to see what people have done and gather that information and make my decision what to do. Too many people are afraid to make mistakes. Believe boy have I made mistakes and learned from them. I still do to this day. It's a constant learning process and even the experts consult others for information. As I have said before I am part time and at my full time job I contact professionals in my profession to see "what worked for them", "whats the current trend", "is there a better way to do this". The collective knowledge of professionals helps make an industry stronger right? Unfortunately people cannot see this.

Also, in no way do I have all this experience (landscape & business) under me. You know the donkeys when the first thing they ask is "what do I charge". Believe me I asked these questions, but they were to the guy I used to work for. He gave me some good information but I have to do what works for me and my business. I learned more about how to do the landscaping efficiently which is what people should ask about right? If you are so inefficient how can you even think of charging what someone else might. Thats the problem with lawn cutting in general. A complete moron can start this business up. He walks to the county building for his business license, gets some insurance, advertises and gets calls. He currently works for $7.25/hr and $15/hr sounds great! His brain functions on the level of a rock (no offense to landscaping stones) and forgets that the $15/hr doesnt go in his pocket. He actually probably makes less. Ambition is huge to success and too many people in this industry get walked all over by customers. Any sales training tells you to always lead the sale and ask the questions. I've walked away from more lowball customers than I care to say. If my business doesnt work for you, fine no problem, the next guy will be coming to get walked on and pushed to the lowest price possible or offer crappy service just to get the job.

But you know what? The only business I care about is mine. People need to put their blinders on and focus on their business and what they can do to make it successful. I ask questions to see what has worked and what has not for landscapers.

Sorry just got my mind buzzing.

Again thanks for the info.

MDLawn
08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Well its finalized. I am down to one trailer. Big ol' dump trailer. Definitely heavier but no problem loading mowers (have my old ramps I made for my old dump). I know that the landscape trailer was lighter and easier but hopefully I can work out of mowing and more into just landscaping. The dump to me has many more uses than a landscape trailer. For the full time operator whose primary business is mowing I would definitely not recommend this set up. For me it works out great. I get my garage back and have one multi purpose trailer. Plus you can't beat pressing a button and watching dirt fly.

nepatsfan
08-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Why wouldn't you trade in the 250 and buy a real dump truck. Then you can keep your landscape trailer. All you need is a little one ton. Its a pita to use a dump trailer. I do a lot of landscaping too. At times I need material in the truck and the ability to haul a machine too(skid steer or mini), or if I need a few pallets of pavers or something I put those on a trailer and tow them with the material in a dump. Buying a dump trailer is like pissing into the wind as far as productivity.

MDLawn
08-05-2010, 10:14 PM
For me, part timer, it works out great. I think the best set up would be a dump truck and dump trailer. But unfotunately the money tree in my back yard needs some fertilizer:dizzy:. I think there are pro's and con's to both and to each their own. I've heard the whole "dump trailers suck", "can't park them", "always dragging them around". I've also heard the "dump trucks suck", "More insurance", "Always have to take the dump everywhere". The fight seems to be similar to the ones people have with Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, Diesel or Gas....etc... Plus my 250 is my daily truck to my full time job. A single cab dump can't hold car seats ;). In the future I may trade up the 250 for a dump truck and get a car for going to work. From what I know my town wont let you park a dump truck in your driveway either. I do agree that the dump truck and landscape trailer would be a great combo. I loved using my previous dump trailer and probably would love a dump truck too. I understand the productivity too. I've put mulch in the 250, topsoil and plants in the dump. I think if I needed materials I couldnt get, I'd get em delivered. From the jobs that I used delivery it wasnt that much extra for the delivery. Same thing for larger equipment if you dont own it, have it delivered. If someone wouldnt accept a bid for a job due to a $50 delivery charge you have to add in then you didnt sell your business, right????? If you were putting together a nice patio or a larger install needing topsoil I dont think a 1 ton dump could haul (leagally) all the base stone/top soil you need in one trip. In a perfect world you have a dump truck, large dump truck, pickup truck, dump trailer, landscape trailer, enclosed trailer, skid steer trailer, etc....... Dont we all wish!!!

MDLawn
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Plus 20 employees so you can do 3-4 different jobs at once!

topsites
08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
With a price of fuel at $2.98 the difference would be $8.76/wk or $236/yr (27 cuts). I probably spend that on gatorade each year so I could stop buying that and dehydrate too :) I understand the weight thing but for me it doesnt add up to make it that bad. I'm sure plenty of guys smoke a pack of cigarettes a day or go out to eat every day at $5-7 a day, $35/wk, and close to $1000/yr!!! Pick your poison :usflag:

'Tis going to cost you in ways more than just gas.

even the experts consult others for information.

The scary part is this nagging suspicion that perhaps we are the experts.

MDLawn
08-05-2010, 11:19 PM

If it does that using it once a week for mowing 27-30 times then that stinks! Would you tell me the same thing if I did landscaping the other 4-5 days of the week? I looked at this as a start of a plan to get out of mowing. Maybe in another year I can sell the mowers and buy a used Dingo or Boxer. There is a plan in my head. I really like landscaping but mowing is a way to start in this business. Being tied down week in and week out with cutting grass is not something I like anymore. Same thing every time. At least each landscape job brings different challenges. Again just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
08-05-2010, 11:21 PM

The scary part is this nagging suspicion that perhaps we are the experts.

I didn't even catch this "experts" part!!! Yes I am consulting you experts. I'm just stubborn!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
08-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Why wouldn't you trade in the 250 and buy a real dump truck. Then you can keep your landscape trailer. All you need is a little one ton. Its a pita to use a dump trailer. I do a lot of landscaping too. At times I need material in the truck and the ability to haul a machine too(skid steer or mini), or if I need a few pallets of pavers or something I put those on a trailer and tow them with the material in a dump. Buying a dump trailer is like pissing into the wind as far as productivity.

Here's a real question for ya. What do you think about the flat bed/stake body type dumps 1ton or more? Since you are on a track I'd like to be moving (landscaping). That way you could load palletized materials on the truck and loose in the dump or the other way around. I've seen a lot of those but just don't know abput them.

I'll keep pissing into the wind though as I like the dump trailers :)

myrtle12
08-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I only mow 8 lawns weekly and I haul all my stuff in a moritz 10000 gross dump trailer.I would'nt have it any other way.How many of you can use your landscaping trailer to haul mulch,stone,sand?

MDLawn
08-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I only mow 8 lawns weekly and I haul all my stuff in a moritz 10000 gross dump trailer.I would'nt have it any other way.How many of you can use your landscaping trailer to haul mulch,stone,sand?

Yea mines a bit heavier than 10k but i like it already. I had a 7k that didnt cut it.

Aaronnc
08-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Depending on how big your dump needs to be, they do make trailers like this: http://www.berkelmanswelding.on.ca/sidedump_float_trailers.html

nepatsfan
08-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Here's a real question for ya. What do you think about the flat bed/stake body type dumps 1ton or more? Since you are on a track I'd like to be moving (landscaping). That way you could load palletized materials on the truck and loose in the dump or the other way around. I've seen a lot of those but just don't know abput them.

I'll keep pissing into the wind though as I like the dump trailers :)

I have never used one. We have two regular 1 ton dumps that work ok. I like the 350's for mowing mulch and small jobs but you were right about hauling dense grade or stone dust. You cant take a lot. The next dump I buy will be a 550 or maybe a bigger one. I have a class b but its a pain because none of my guys have a cdl. I would almost rather use my 10k # trailer than a flat bed or stake body. We really dont stockpile too much at the job though. I work in a very small radius and we are never more than 10-15 minutes from the supplier. A lot of times we just get 1 pallet at a time in a pick up truck and just unload it with the forks on the skid steer. If I have to get a few pallets I would just put them on the trailer.

STIHL GUY
08-06-2010, 10:47 PM
thats really going to cut down on you gas mileage and profit

MDLawn
08-08-2010, 01:33 PM
thats really going to cut down on you gas mileage and profit

For one day of mowing I can deal with the 1-3mpg loss. If someone did this every day sure that becomes a problem. But what about the guys who drag along the 20ft enclosed trailer that can weigh nearly the same? No one ever second guesses that decision? I looked at it as this one trailer provides multiple uses rather than all these trailers or trucks around. Plus like I said it would be great to get out of mowing all together and have this trailer for landscaping. This again is a part time thing so I'm not nearly doing the quantity of mowing most of you do. Plus if I do keep mowing I only have clients in two very close neighborhoods so the driving is actually negligible. You should be calculating your annual fuel costs anyways. If someone drops me over a dollar or two increase then I will realize how bad the mowing side has become.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
08-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Well, sounds like MD has put a fair amount of thought into this and make a decision that's best for him and the current state of his business.

I run both a dump trailer and an open landscape trailer, with the open trailer getting more use. But I'm mowing 3 or 4 days a week and doing other work 1 or 2 days a week. One thing I like about the low profile dump is the loading height being at knee level. It makes a huge difference over having to lift to stomach or chest level on a dump truck, and being solo all but 12 or 15 hours a week, that's a big consideration to me. I can get 300 pounds onto my trailer by myself without dropping a nut.

If I had to pick one trailer, it would be the dumper even if it means hauling around some extra weight when I'm using it just for equipment transport.

MDLawn
08-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Well, sounds like MD has put a fair amount of thought into this and make a decision that's best for him and the current state of his business.

I run both a dump trailer and an open landscape trailer, with the open trailer getting more use. But I'm mowing 3 or 4 days a week and doing other work 1 or 2 days a week. One thing I like about the low profile dump is the loading height being at knee level. It makes a huge difference over having to lift to stomach or chest level on a dump truck, and being solo all but 12 or 15 hours a week, that's a big consideration to me. I can get 300 pounds onto my trailer by myself without dropping a nut.

If I had to pick one trailer, it would be the dumper even if it means hauling around some extra weight when I'm using it just for equipment transport.

Darryl,

Your input was good because you actually use the dump trailer set up.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device